• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Gtfo with timed exclusives goddamn this industry. Either own that shit or F off. Timed exclusives is a company paying to hurt other players. Not to make their platform more enticing.

Glad they're adding more games though for the fans if their service. Still not for me but it doesn't have to be.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I actually did address the console part in an edit before the quote. But to answer your question, no I doubt console players will defend this at all if this affects them in any way. We'll see the "sudden" disdain for such deals in short order, no doubt.

Here is one console player who still doesn't care. If they delay it I'll wait if I'm interested enough. And if it is permenantly blocked, guess I'm not playing the game. Honestly I've been gaming since atari and it's not a huge deal that you miss a game or two. The only one I'd care is Bethesda games and I'd just go where they are (ok... some caveats if I would now that they are chasing gaas).

I mean it's not great for us consumers but it is what it is. They are there to make money and it works. I'm far more worried about other crappier methods they use that ruin games.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
This timed streaming garbage cannot catch on or the gaming industry is going to experience what the tv/movie industry has now.

Theaters
Netflix
Hulu
Hbo max
Disney plus
Cbs whatever the fuck
10 others

Everyone gets the movie or game in this scenario for a month. Shows passed around and lists online telling you what's available where.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
It kinda is what you're saying, even if just reading between the lines. Just because a business has decided something is a good strategy doesn't mean people should like it.

How much money do you think Epic have made? I think you should look at the numbers again.

- Epic Game Store has grossed $680m
- 108m accounts have downloaded at least one game from the store.
- 300m Epic accounts registered across all platforms.
- Third party game revenue is $251m and 60% higher than forecast.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Third party game revenue is $251m
You... realize that's not that much, right? 12% of that (their cut) is only ~$30mil. Control exclusivity alone cost them $10 mil.

Maybe it was better than their "forecast" but without knowing the details of their initial forecast it doesn't mean much.

Not what I said I'm just not understanding why people don't get it. Google really wants to get into the market and Epic has shown how you can make tons of money and gain people to be on your platform
Epic makes tons of money via Fortnite, not their store.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
You... realize that's not that much, right? 12% of that (their cut) is only ~$30mil. Control exclusivity alone cost them $10 mil.

Maybe it was better than their "forecast" but without knowing the details of their initial forecast it doesn't mean much.

Why did you cut the rest? "60% higher than forecast." Epic is growing faster than their own exceptions. What would be good growth to you? Being equal to Steam on sales in one year of the store being out?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
- Epic Game Store has grossed $680m
- 108m accounts have downloaded at least one game from the store.
- 300m Epic accounts registered across all platforms.
- Third party game revenue is $251m and 60% higher than forecast.

and what is 12% of $251m?

and how do you think that compared to their costs? Paying for exclusivity, paying for free games, the amount they have paid out of pocket for discounts, the amount they have paid out in commission to influencers, their sponsoring multiple gaming events, and other marketing costs, plus transaction fees, bandwidth and team of people they have running support and developing the store.

I know they have saved money by not having a client with many features, and it's missing some real basic ones, but I struggle to imaging they are turning any kind of profit. I think they are currently deep in the red.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Most everyone in here are obnoxiously judging and hating a service that they've most likely never tried. It'll be fun, especially in two to three years when this thing is still around and doing well. It'll especially be great when the XsX Pro and PS5 Pro is released and Stadia is just there having been upgraded in their server farms.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Translation: 10 timed exclusive games that 99% of folks will just wait out the clock on. Timed exclusives are incredibly lame, but in 2020 and beyond, they're less of a "must-have" as everybody under the sun has a backlog of great games.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
and what is 12% of $251m?

and how do you think that compared to their costs? Paying for exclusivity, paying for free games, the amount they have paid out of pocket for discounts, the amount they have paid out in commission to influencers, their sponsoring multiple gaming events, and other marketing costs, plus transaction fees, bandwidth and team of people they have running support and developing the store.

I know they have saved money by not having a client with many features, and it's missing some real basic ones, but I struggle to imaging they are turning any kind of profit. I think they are currently deep in the red.

This alone should be enough to show if Epic by their own standards are growing as expected, "60% higher than forecast". You can bet they will continue to use the same strategy of getting exclusives, because it's working for them.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder what the launch window of exclusivity they got was. Maybe It's just me but this almost sounds like they're only getting like a week or a month of exclusivity.

Craymond

Oct 28, 2017
Portland
The fact that they launched the service without their own first party is ridiculous. Moneyhatting exclusives is not the way to drum business. I'll easily wait for those games to go multiplat or just play them on PC.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most everyone in here are obnoxiously judging and hating a service that they've most likely never tried. It'll be fun, especially in two to three years when this thing is still around and doing well. It'll especially be great when the XsX Pro and PS5 Pro is released and Stadia is just there having been upgraded in their server farms.
I've played it and it's bad, i mean really bad. It will still exist but it still won't be anything once the new consoles are out.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Google paying to delay games with their ad money is just as shitty as Epic paying to delay games with their Fortnite money.

Exclusives suck, and money-hatted exclusives suck the most.

This alone should be enough to show if Epic by their own standards are growing as expected, "60% higher than forecast". You can bet they will continue to use the same strategy of getting exclusives, because it's working for them.

Meaningless. A pittance.

They're swimming with Billion Dollar fishes and raking in low-double-digit millions. It's back-of-the-couch-cushions levels of income in the market space they're spectacularly failing to muscle in on.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
You post said "Epic has shown how you can make tons of money".

This is untrue, they have not made tons of money, they have lost money.

My position is that Google and Epic have a lot of work to do on making their service more appealing, and that should be a much bigger priority to them. Epic are spending millions on denying games from other platforms and their client is still missing a whole bunch of features that were industry standards years before they launched. It's ridiculous to me that they are spending millions getting games pulled from Steam.

Similarly, I think Stadia is fundamentally unappealing to most potential customers in it's current form, and they have a lot of areas in which they are lacking.

Spending large sums of money getting games pulled from rival platforms is going to generate negative sentiment. Instead of making Stadia as appealing as possible by innovating on their business model, developing features, or pushing for different types of technological innovation, they are removing choice from the very people who are their target audience.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
You post said "Epic has shown how you can make tons of money".

This is untrue, they have not made tons of money, they have lost money.

I think you are confusing me with someone else.

My position is that Google and Epic have a lot of work to do on making their service more appealing, and that should be a much bigger priority to them. Epic are spending millions on denying games from other platforms and their client is still missing a whole bunch of features that were industry standards years before they launched. It's ridiculous to me that they are spending millions getting games pulled from Steam.

Similarly, I think Stadia is fundamentally unappealing to most potential customers in it's current form, and they have a lot of areas in which they are lacking.

Spending large sums of money getting games pulled from rival platforms is going to generate negative sentiment. Instead of making Stadia as appealing as possible by innovating on their business model, developing features, or pushing for different types of technological innovation, they are removing choice from the very people who are their target audience.

I always find this way of thinking weird. It's almost like developers don't have any agency to decide what to do with their games. You can bet that if any developer makes the choice to make a game exclusive, it's because they have received a good offer and it is good for them. It's also funny to me how some people go crazy about having to download another launcher on the same PC. Imagine Sony saying that they would release all of their games on Xbox, but you have to download another launcher that AT LAUNCH will have less features that the default for Xbox, but will improve over time. Most people would go crazy with how awesome that would be, but somehow on PC it's like the equivalent of someone making you buy another console. The Epic store is doing very well and if I were you I wouldn't bet on Epic stopping getting exclusives for the stores. According to their numbers it's working for them and developers as well. When Sony or Microsoft buy a studio they are practically removing their entire library from other consoles a time exclusive is a lot less harmful if what you care about is having more options on where play games. Personally everyone is free to do as they wish, if a developer has the opportunity to make a deal that will be better for the company and its employees, then go ahead. Stadia is a service that will also continue to improve and as a gamer I'm very excited to see what will the cloud allow in general.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Meaningless. A pittance.

They're swimming with Billion Dollar fishes and raking in low-double-digit millions. It's back-of-the-couch-cushions levels of income in the market space they're spectacularly failing to muscle in on.

You seem to lack an understanding on how companies grow over time. You don't get to be Steam in one year, go and look for Steam own YOY growth numbers so can understand this. What is undeniable is that the strategy EPIC is taking is working for them beyond their own expectations, and you will continue to see them doing the same this year.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You seem to lack an understanding on how companies grow over time. You don't get to be Steam in one year, go and look for Steam own YOY growth numbers so can understand this. What is undeniable is that the strategy EPIC is taking is working for them beyond their own expectations, and you will continue to see them doing the same this year.
Or we won't, The numbers we have don't really prove it's working even with the information that you posted. We know very little of sales for the vast majority of games that were exclusive but it's telling when only a few games have talked about it.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Or we won't, The numbers we have don't really prove it's working even with the information that you posted. We know very little of sales for the vast majority of games that were exclusive but it's telling when only a few games have talked about it.

Why do people continue to ignore this "Third party game revenue is $251m and 60% higher than forecast."? Your next step is to say that they are lying.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I think you are confusing me with someone else.

Sorry, I did exactly that.

I always find this way of thinking weird. It's almost like developers don't have any agency to decide what to do with their games. You can bet that if any developer makes the choice to make a game exclusive, it's because they have received a good offer and it is good for them. It's also funny to me how some people go crazy about having to download another launcher on the same PC. Imagine Sony saying that they would release all of their games on Xbox, but you have to download another launcher that AT LAUNCH will have less features that the default for Xbox, but will improve over time. Most people would go crazy with how awesome that would be, but somehow on PC it's like the equivalent of someone making you buy another console. The Epic store is doing very well and if I were you I wouldn't bet on Epic stopping getting exclusives for the stores. According to their numbers it's working for them and developers as well. When Sony or Microsoft buy a studio they are practically removing their entire library from other consoles a time exclusive is a lot less harmful if what you care about is having more options on where play games. Personally everyone is free to do as they wish, if a developer has the opportunity to make a deal that will be better for the company and its employees, then go ahead. Stadia is a service that will also continue to improve and as a gamer I'm very excited to see what will the cloud allow in general.

I don't have a problem with Google, Epic, Sony, Microsoft or anyone keeping their own games exclusive, even if it's great when they chose not to. This is a false equivalence.

I haven't seen anything that suggests Epic have any kind of vision for what comes after sinking huge sums of money into moneyhatting developers away from other platforms, or paying developers to give their game away. Their vision initially was no huge sales, then they have done huge sales (even having to subsidise out of pocket). They said they were going to solve discovery by only having a small number of games, but they don't appear to have done anything to actually implement well presented storefront as they have added more games. They said no crappy games and have added a bunch of crappy games.

I think your analysis of how successful their store is has stopped at "the number they quoted is a big number", and they only seem to have succeeded in training people to get indie games for free or bigger games at aggressive discounts (which Epic have sunk huge sums of money into doing), and training developers/publishers to expect a big cheque upfront in order to release their game on the Epic store (which they have also sunk huge sums of money into doing).

Much like Stadia has made a bunch of promises about 4k gaming, then delivered blurry upscaled low res games with compression artifacts. They have promised performance double that of Xbox One X, but not delivered any games that meaningfully surpass performance on Xbox One X. They promised gaming experiences not possible on any other platform and didn't really meaningfully deliver that either. Their core product offering is currently lacking, and that should be a far bigger priority to fix than getting games pulled from rival platforms.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people continue to ignore this "Third party game revenue is $251m and 60% higher than forecast."? Your next step is to say that they are lying.
I'm not ignoring anything but I don't believe that they are going to keep going with exclusives because that little note doesn't tell us much.

I don't have a problem with Google, Epic, Sony, Microsoft or anyone keeping their own games exclusive, even if it's great when they chose not to. This is a false equivalence.

I haven't seen anything that suggests Epic have any kind of vision for what comes after sinking huge sums of money into moneyhatting developers away from other platforms, or paying developers to give their game away. Their vision initially was no huge sales, then they have done huge sales (even having to subsidise out of pocket). They said they were going to solve discovery by only having a small number of games, but they don't appear to have done anything to actually implement well presented storefront as they have added more games. They said no crappy games and have added a bunch of crappy games.

I think your analysis of how successful their store is has stopped at "the number they quoted is a big number", and they only seem to have succeeded in training people to get indie games for free or bigger games at aggressive discounts (which Epic have sunk huge sums of money into doing), and training developers/publishers to expect a big cheque upfront in order to release their game on the Epic store (which they have also sunk huge sums of money into doing).

Much like Stadia has made a bunch of promises about 4k gaming, then delivered blurry upscaled low res games with compression artifacts. They have promised performance double that of Xbox One X, but not delivered any games that meaningfully surpass performance on Xbox One X. They promised gaming experiences not possible on any other platform and didn't really meaningfully deliver that either. Their core product offering is currently lacking, and that should be a far bigger priority to fix than getting games pulled from rival platforms.
Exactly

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with it, it saves me from myself. I'd otherwise most likely play these games on the PS4/Xb1, even though a better experience (on next gen systems) is right around the corner. Now I'll just wait until the timed exclusivity is over (honestly I'd be surprised if Google would even splurge for 6 months, it'll probably be 3).

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Why don't they start first with keeping the promises they've already made? The split screen, 10.7 Teraflops visuals, save state stuff.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

"It's ridiculous to me that they are spending millions getting games pulled from Steam." So it is ridiculous to you, but you don't have a problem with it? Let me make clear that I don't differentiate when someone pays to make an exclusive game for their own platform or buys the game to make it exclusive. Either way this is money going over to the developer and they are the ones agreeing to make it happen, if they are receiving a good deal.

I don't see how this relates to anything I'm saying. Just focus on the part where I say EPIC has been successful with their strategy and will continue to do it because of it.

Much like Stadia has made a bunch of promises about 4k gaming, then delivered blurry upscaled low res games with compression artifacts. They have promised performance double that of Xbox One X, but not delivered any games that meaningfully surpass performance on Xbox One X. Their core product offering is currently lacking, and that should be a far bigger priority to fix than getting games pulled from rival platforms.

Yes, and that number shows how 3rd party game sales have increased beyond their expectations, what is your problem with that? When Sony or Microsoft buy a development studio, what is your opinion on that? When they buy a studio to make exclusive games for their own platforms, do you have some kind of disdain for them? Does the fact that Sony and Microsoft write big cheques to buy these studios bothers you at all? Are developers making a bad choice when they make their games exclusive or allow to be bought by bigger companies?

All of the problems with Stadia are clear and they must either explain what is happening or deliver on what they said they would. When you say "Blurry upscaled low res games with compression artifacts" do you understand this is not from everyone? Can you understand how several reviewers and users have shared on this board how they are surprised with how good it looks and plays? The big problems are with the library of games, lack of features and business model. But the biggest one in my opinion was not launching with an exclusive game designed from top to bottom to take advantage of what is possible on the cloud. One incredible game that can only run in a cloud service would have been better than all of the other games that launched with the service. I need for people to understand with cloud gaming is that time will not stop. These services will continue to improve and once developers start making games that take advantage of what is possible with networked computers, then it should become a lot more obvious what I have repeated over and over. It doesn't even have to be Stadia that does it, but it will happen eventually.

Last edited:

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I'm not ignoring anything but I don't believe that they are going to keep going with exclusives because that little note doesn't tell us much.

Exactly

Sure, this will eventually stop because developers won't need any motivation to release their games on the EPIC store and people will be used to buying them on it, but there is one simple fact here, they are growing faster than their own projections and this shows that their strategy worked. It is to be expected for them to continue the same strategy because as you already mentioned, their numbers are still small relative to the market.

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
Please, I want Google and Epic to put their money into making their platforms genuinely competitive and attractive instead of trying to force game players into their space with timed exclusivity. It's just the laziest way of achieving 'growth'.

ImaLawy3r

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I've played it and it's bad, i mean really bad. It will still exist but it still won't be anything once the new consoles are out.
You're probably the only one that I know that claims that it's bad - if you in fact have played it. The service is miles ahead of xCloud. It works incredibly well for me and I think also for most other Stadia users. What games have you tried playing? Are you a founder, buddy pass owner, premiere?

ImaLawy3r

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Please, I want Google and Epic to put their money into making their platforms genuinely competitive and attractive instead of trying to force game players into their space with timed exclusivity. It's just the laziest way of achieving 'growth'.
When you have established juggernauts , you have to pay money to gain any ground. This shouldn't be news. Even before Stadia was announced, the general thoughts were:
  1. Google is doing it? Don't get it because they will kill it.
  2. Google is doing it? Don't get it because Google is too big and Privacy...wahhh.
  3. Google is doing it? I'm an Apple, or Samsung guy - can't like anything Google.
  4. Streaming games?! That will never happen. Streaming sucks. Local Hardware is superior. Too much lag and latency. etc etc.
Now we are here and Stadia has proven to actually be amazing, especially for what it achieves on a technical level. Now, (as it should be) the goalposts move to - but it doesn't have any games.... Google then starts to announce games via suspected moneyhatting and everyone is getting pissed. Anything to dislike the service huh? I'm sure when Sony and MS catch up to Google's tech many of the anti-streaming sentiment will stop because the respective tribes will be satisfied. And as for anti-Google that's a whole other ball game.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
You're probably the only one that I know that claims that it's bad - if you in fact have played it. The service is miles ahead of xCloud. It works incredibly well for me and I think also for most other Stadia users. What games have you tried playing? Are you a founder, buddy pass owner, premiere?
It's great for me, but it will vary on your home network. Google has to these some kind of demo game to let users try to ensure their connection is ok before buying.

It's been back to back days of news that Canadian telecoms are deploying 5g this year, so fun times ahead

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

The weird defensiveness about Stadia really cracks me up. People who are enthused about Stadia seem to get really enthused for Stadia.

The dude had a bad experience with Stadia. I've seen plenty of videos of people demonstrating issues with Stadia. It's not an inexplicable one-off by any means.

I'll give Stadia a try myself when it properly launches, but only if the bar for entry is practically nonexistent. If they do a free trial, or there's a confirmed permanent exclusive that I really want to play and it's like $10-$20, I'll give it a shot.

The glowing opinions of three or four people who consistently show up in every Stadia thread proselytizing Stadia and have post histories that are 80% Stadia or streaming-related don't really have a positive effect on my intent to buy.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
The glowing opinions of three or four people who consistently show up in every Stadia thread proselytizing Stadia and have post histories that are 80% Stadia or streaming-related don't really have a positive effect on my intent to buy.

My continual posts in Stadia threads are to try and stimulate any conversation that is on the topic of the thread.

The idea of needing some random person to make a purchase to validate mine is so fucking weird.

How many posts are just to tell anonymous people they are not interested? Like whoopdy do!

Moreso that these mega corps are praised and given human qualities. Google is bad because they are not passionate about gaming like Sony or Nintendo, ect.

ImaLawy3r

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
The weird defensiveness about Stadia really cracks me up. People who are enthused about Stadia seem to get really enthused for Stadia.

The dude had a bad experience with Stadia. I've seen plenty of videos of people demonstrating issues with Stadia. It's not an inexplicable one-off by any means.

I'll give Stadia a try myself when it properly launches, but only if the bar for entry is practically nonexistent. If they do a free trial, or there's a confirmed permanent exclusive that I really want to play and it's like $10-$20, I'll give it a shot.

It's not defensiveness so much as it is a feeling of talk to a mob without reason.

The glowing opinions of Stadia can't and won't be found on this forum because most people on this forum are innately against the product and tech. Anyway, I am completely aware that there are two bubbles of thought on Stadia; one being quite larger than the other. In the end though - especially if you have access today to a 4K tv, great internet speeds, and a chrome cast the experience is truly amazing. On my Chromebrowser at work and home, it's good. Hopefully when they release 4k on the web it'll be better.