• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
OnePlus 6T

I never had issues like this with GPM.

Weird, I have the same phone.

edit: I seem to remember my wife had a bit more trouble with hers on the same phone in her car but it's fine now after: disable battery optimization, disable gpm, set ytm to be the default music service in assistant, in the car launch ytm manually once. Probably not all the steps are necessary but I haven't heard her complained since.

Last edited:

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
I did the transfer but YouTube music isn't playing all of my own songs that are downloaded but placed in playlists if I am offline.

I have noticed a correlation to songs that are attached to photos

Seaneko

Jun 11, 2020
California
arstechnica.com

Google Music shutdown starts this month, music deleted in December

August begins the four-month Google Music shutdown.

You should download and keep a copy of your purchases because you can't download them from YTM in the future.

Thanks for this article link. When I heard about Google music shutting down this year I had a hard time finding a clear-cut answer as to whether I would be able to download my purchased music via YTM. I didn't know about Google Takeout and tried to download my music piecemeal, so I am absolutely going to make multiple backups of my purchases for safekeeping. I bought so much music on Google because I generally don't rely on streaming services and prefer owning my music. Really frustrated that the ability to download what I legally obtained is being taken away from me.

Should I still transfer my licenses to YTM even if I don't plan on using it? I'd rather not lose all of this stuff entirely.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
If I go to the music part of the Play Store on my phone right now, there are some banners pinned to the top that explain what's going to happen and they say the ability to purchase music is being removed.
Damn, that is crazy. Thanks for directing me to where to find those banners. Has Google made any indication that the functionality for purchasing music will eventually be migrated into the YouTube Music app, or are they entirely getting out of the business of selling digital music?

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, that is crazy. Thanks for directing me to where to find those banners. Has Google made any indication that the functionality for purchasing music will eventually be migrated into the YouTube Music app, or are they entirely getting out of the business of selling digital music?

I mean it's Google, they probably don't know what they want to do in 6 months lol. I wouldn't count on it though.
Otoh, you can purchase movies on YT so maybe it's just at bottom of their priority because they will need to enable download (to keep).

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
After 7 years it is a little bit sad to see GPM go out like this. I guess the writings were on the wall when it stopped receiving regular updates a few years ago.

E6-D90-B4-A-DC89-4-EDF-93-B1-53-F95-C1225-E5.jpg

AfterTheFall

Oct 27, 2017
Bought YouTube Premium for the adblocking in the apps and got YouTube music free. Nowhere near as good as Spotify or Apple Music. I transferred my old content from my Google Play sub seems to be ok.

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to cancel my Google music account and I'm going to try the 6 mos free Spotify sub through Gamepass. I like that Spotify works on more devices.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone with grand fathered price might want to wait until the license is transferred to YT before canceling. From what they told me it sounded like that price sticks with the account. Even upgrading to family plan is cheaper than current going price.

FaffEra

Chicken Chaser
Nov 8, 2017
UK
My main issues with YTM so far is that it segregates music you upload from everything else which sucks. Not being able to download your music collection is terrible though, that's a deal breaker.

I mean it's Google, they probably don't know what they want to do in 6 months lol. I wouldn't count on it though.
Otoh, you can purchase movies on YT so maybe it's just at bottom of their priority because they will need to enable download (to keep).
I'd see movies I purchased on Google Movies show up on youtube starting about 2 years ago.

Deleted member 69501

Banned
May 16, 2020
WTH i was okay with this shift...no I tolerated this shift from Google music to YouTube music....until now.

YouTube music has NO Andriod wear app ...no proper Andriod auto integration!!!!!???? This multibillion dollar corporation can't figure out a way to make such a basic transition seamless with feature parity ? WTH is wrong with google smh.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
So, i finally got the email about transferring.
I have music on google play that i uploaded to my account online. (as in, stuff not saved to my device)
Where is all that music at? I have like entire albums I uploaded but i can't seem to find them anywhere?

Where's this one tap transfer tool they're talking about too?

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
YouTube music has NO Andriod wear app

dumb but they acknowledged that it will be addressed eventually

...no proper Andriod auto integration!!!!!????

It's been working better than GPM for me for a long time.

So, i finally got the email about transferring.
I have music on google play that i uploaded to my account online. (as in, stuff not saved to my device)
Where is all that music at? I have like entire albums I uploaded but i can't seem to find them anywhere?

Where's this one tap transfer tool they're talking about too?

Select uploads in library. Transfer tool should be accessible in settings.

Tek233

Oct 25, 2017
WTH i was okay with this shift...no I tolerated this shift from Google music to YouTube music....until now.

YouTube music has NO Andriod wear app ...no proper Andriod auto integration!!!!!???? This multibillion dollar corporation can't figure out a way to make such a basic transition seamless with feature parity ? WTH is wrong with google smh.

What do you mean proper Android auto integration? Seems to work fine for me in my truck. Definitely prefer Google music over yt music in every step of the way... But it does work in Android auto. Maybe I'm missing something, just did the transfer a couple of days ago.

Oct 27, 2017
So after GPM for Wear OS dies (any day now, apparently), is there any recommended Wear app that can download music for offline listening? Really don't want to have to go back to bringing my phone with me on runs.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
So after GPM for Wear OS dies (any day now, apparently), is there any recommended Wear app that can download music for offline listening? Really don't want to have to go back to bringing my phone with me on runs.

I use WearMedia to transfer files from my phone to my watch, it also can be used as player on the watch. So copy files from my nas -> phone -> watch. It's pain in the ass but will have to do for now until I can find something better.

Deleted member 69501

Banned
May 16, 2020
What do you mean proper Android auto integration? Seems to work fine for me in my truck. Definitely prefer Google music over yt music in every step of the way... But it does work in Android auto. Maybe I'm missing something, just did the transfer a couple of days ago.

With Google music you have control over playlists and basic search functions built into the app itself (amongst other things). The YouTube music Andriod auto application is limited to the skip functions. No playlist scrolling etc...

Deleted member 69501

Banned
May 16, 2020
I use WearMedia to transfer files from my phone to my watch, it also can be used as player on the watch. So copy files from my nas -> phone -> watch. It's pain in the ass but will have to do for now until I can find something better.

So correct me if I'm wrong. Rn there's no way to using your watch to download YouTube music ?

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks. Cumbersome, but at least it's doable.

So correct me if I'm wrong. Rn there's no way to using your watch to download YouTube music ?

Nope. No timeline of when or even if they're going to release a YTM wear app, just that they're working on adding features. You would almost think that this migration hasn't been in the works for years.

Definitely regretting my wear os watch purchase though.

walkinfast

Aug 24, 2019
For those that haven't transferred yet, check your emails. Last week they sent me a survey asking me why I haven't transferred yet. I let them know my feelings on it.

MWOiQuE.png

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any suggestions on the best app to use on Android if I only want to listen to my own downloaded music?

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any good alternatives for web listening? I rarely used the android app, but I listened to my music via google music on my laptop at work all the time. I just need a service which lets me upload my music, and listen to it whereever via browser, ideally for free. Spotify doesn't have the selection I like, and I don't really want to pay a subscription fee.

This is by far the google product cut that hurts the most.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Anyone have any good alternatives for web listening? I rarely used the android app, but I listened to my music via google music on my laptop at work all the time. I just need a service which lets me upload my music, and listen to it whereever via browser, ideally for free. Spotify doesn't have the selection I like, and I don't really want to pay a subscription fee.

This is by far the google product cut that hurts the most.

What's wrong with YouTube Music, exactly? It has the features you're looking for.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Honestly it's mostly just finding my music on it. It lacks a good search function for my uploaded tracks, and I'm not a huge fan of the navigation patterns it uses in comparison.

I'm not trying to argue with you if you simply don't like YTM, but I'm confused. What do you mean it lacks a search function for uploaded tracks? It's... well, right there. Works like every other search function.

Pink Tape

Oct 25, 2017
Red Velvet's cookie jar
I hate when you click on an artist and instead of having all their albums to choose from you get a big playlist of every song and if you listen to a song from a specific album and hope that you get the next song from that album it just shuffles 😐 I don't get why they just didn't just leave GPM alone.

I'll give this a chance but I'm still annoyed tbh.

Deleted member 10234

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not trying to argue with you if you simply don't like YTM, but I'm confused. What do you mean it lacks a search function for uploaded tracks? It's... well, right there. Works like every other search function.
I haven't used YouTube Music myself, but a friend of mine who's a free tier user complained that search will clutter the results with premium shit instead of just showing results from your uploads.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I haven't used YouTube Music myself, but a friend of mine who's a free tier user complained that search will clutter the results with premium shit instead of just showing results from your uploads.

Ah, your friend didn't look at the search screen closely enough. Uploads are shown in a different tab, separate from the normal search results.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I hate when you click on an artist and instead of having all their albums to choose from you get a big playlist of every song and if you listen to a song from a specific album and hope that you get the next song from that album it just shuffles 😐 I don't get why they just didn't just leave GPM alone.

I'll give this a chance but I'm still annoyed tbh.

Yeah this by far is the most wtf fix they need to make right away. Its like it logically works like videos (Which Im sure YT Music started as) but doesn't make sense for albums. It should clear show albums when clicking on an artist, Im sure this will come with time, but its super annoying in the interim.

Parham

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Tried giving YouTube Music a chance, but the user experience is a straight up downgrade from GPM. I've been a subscriber to Google Play Music since late 2014, so seeing it get phased out in favor of an inferior service kinda sucks.

I'm probably going to fully transition to Spotify or Apple Music by the end of the month. Either way, I think I'm done engaging with any of Google's paid services.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
I finally got the email about transferring to Youtube Music. There isn't a light mode or anything, right? That pure black background is awful for my astigmatism and migraines. If I didn't have a family plan I would have already cancelled.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So I did the "transfer" and woke up this morning and it was done. I haven't looked at the mobile app yet, but it looks like it ignores the "Album Artist" tag in favor of the "Artist" tag which pretty much makes my library impossible to navigate. My list of artists has then multiplied and the way the page only pulls up a handful at a time makes it take a long time to get to the bottom of the list. Also clicking on an artist's name just brings up a list of songs, not albums. Which is bonkers. The whole thing is bonkers.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
So I did the "transfer" and woke up this morning and it was done. I haven't looked at the mobile app yet, but it looks like it ignores the "Album Artist" tag in favor of the "Artist" tag which pretty much makes my library impossible to navigate. My list of artists has then multiplied and the way the page only pulls up a handful at a time makes it take a long time to get to the bottom of the list. Also clicking on an artist's name just brings up a list of songs, not albums. Which is bonkers. The whole thing is bonkers.

Search is pretty much the quickest way when you have a large library whether it's GPM or YTM anyway...

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, god. I have scores of compilation albums. What a mess this seems to be.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Search is pretty much the quickest way when you have a large library whether it's GPM or YTM anyway...
Is there at least some version of GPM's "Recents" list after you have listened to a few things? That would be a nice fall back at least, if I could stay out of the Library view since it is currently useless.
Oh, god. I have scores of compilation albums. What a mess this seems to be.
Yuuuup.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Is there at least some version of GPM's "Recents" list after you have listened to a few things? That would be a nice fall back at least, if I could stay out of the Library view since it is currently useless.

It should be on the top of Library section.

Also I just got a really long survey about the transition from Google, I made sure to tell them how unprepared they have been even though they had a couple years.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Fully aware of that, so I'm just going to keep bitching to them about it.
You and me both. It's absolutely amazing how Google consistently removes features when shifting apps. Nest is a great example of this. I have four Nest cameras. If you had a pre-Google Nest account, you can chromecast your cameras to your TVs. Once you convert it to a Google account, that functionality went away. Like, what the fuck, Google? And now there are rumors that they're moving Duo over to Google Meet. Shit like this is why I have zero faith in Stadia.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
You and me both. It's absolutely amazing how Google consistently removes features when shifting apps. Nest is a great example of this. I have four Nest cameras. If you had a pre-Google Nest account, you can chromecast your cameras to your TVs. Once you convert it to a Google account, that functionality went away. Like, what the fuck, Google? And now there are rumors that they're moving Duo over to Google Meet. Shit like this is why I have zero faith in Stadia.

Yea, that's just the result of how Google functions internally imo. It's much easier for some individuals to come up with new ideas/products in order to advance forward in the company, instead of maintaining/improving old services. I am hoping after all these consolidations they will be a bit more 'focused'. I can see that they are shifting a little toward that direction these days. But even if they do stay on track now, and that itself is a big if, the damage is already done. I certainly don't jump on a new Google service with excitement like I used to maybe a decade ago. If it wasn't for grandfathered YT price that includes YTM I would probably just go back to streaming my own content.

Last edited:

Lightus

Oct 25, 2017
I tried out YTM the other day to compare with GPM. Overall it wasn't awful. The UI is a bit more modern compared to GPM and I like having lyrics available in the app. The subscribe thing is a bit weird and sometimes things are organized weird (if you click artists in your library it shows you all their songs instead of their albums, etc). My biggest issue with it is the audio quality though. I immediately noticed it sounded worse even after changing all my settings to "high". I'm not sure if it's due to the lower bitrate or if it's some compression issue. It's enough for me to probably switch to a different service.

I'm trying Amazon Music Unlimited now, and while the audio is great the UI is annoying, with things not working left and right and frequent inconsistencies. I'll probably be joining the rest of the world with Spotify soon.