• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Do you have your music saved locally? You should be able to access it if you do. If you want to upload it, you may be SOL. You'll probably need a new youtube account

None of it is saved locally. I uploaded all my songs years ago and then uploaded more from then and never really kept any songs on my harddrive or storage space other then google play music and if it goes, then all the old music I had saved will be gone. Damn, I'm worried now. I hoped it would be like okay, banned account, switch the account over to a new one but keep the songs and it seems it is now....get a new account and start from zero.

I guess what I could do is use the google play desktop program to download every song that is on that account and then reupload them all on the new account but that would take at least a day and I don't know if I want to dedicated a day downloading and uploading.

mhi

Jun 11, 2018
None of it is saved locally. I uploaded all my songs years ago and then uploaded more from then and never really kept any songs on my harddrive or storage space other then google play music and if it goes, then all the old music I had saved will be gone. I guess what I could do is use the google play desktop program to download every song that is on that account.

I was in the same boat. I bought a 2TB drive off of Amazon and downloaded my music to it. I just left it overnight and it was done by the next morning.
If YouTube Music sucks when they turn on the transfer for me, I'll be switching to iTunes Match or a similar service if I came across it.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way to get the music manager program to not truncate file names to a stupidly short length when downloading all music? I know it doesn't affect most songs, but some do have long titles, and it's annoying when they are just cut off.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
I guess what I could do is use the google play desktop program to download every song that is on that account and then reupload them all on the new account but that would take at least a day and I don't know if I want to dedicated a day downloading and uploading.

You should download it anyway because YT doesn't let you download the library to save away.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
as someone who has been using a combo of youtube music and spotify (previously google play) youtube music is dope for

1. Music not copyrighted like a motherfucker
2. Original songs/remixes

Unfortunately you would hope that it could be used for cool video game soundtracks people have uploaded on youtube, but they went out of their way to not let you listen to this shit

WEGGLES

Oct 30, 2017
YouTube music says I'm not on the right account to transfer, so I'm out. Switching to Spotify. I don't know what Google's deal is anymore.

YouTube music is way worse than GPMAA and of I have to manually transfer to a new service it's not going to be a Google one. If they wanted my recurring revenue they wouldn't have shut down GPMAA.

ArtemisLunar

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 13, 2018
I've received my email and I migrated all my music to YTM...and I don't really like it.
I'm usually a tolerant person when talking about changes (I'm one of the crazy guys that liked Metro UI, fite me), but YTM it's just awful in all the ways: It's slow as hell using the browser (I'm using Edge Chromium, so I dunno if it's Google's fault or YTM struggles with web browsers), having my downloaded music separated from the rest it's really annoying, also, I CAN'T REALLY DONWLOAD MY MUSIC AGAIN ONCE IT'S IN YOUTUBE!?
What the hell Google!?
The good thing for this at least it's now that the music it's in youtube, I can now use all those tool to import my library to Apple Music, and I can still acces GPM to download my Game Soundtracks to import it elsewhere.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
Liking YTM a lot more now than I did last time I tried it, it's improved a lot. Don't mind the swap anymore.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Keep getting errors trying to upload something new to Google Music, and the Transfer page for YouTube Music isn't yet active for me. Argh. Immediate edit: Oh duh I can just upload straight to YT lol

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Wait are they going to use the YT Music app that currently exists?
Fucking really? That thing fucking sucks.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got my transfer option. I like that my own library is separate but there are some quirks I don't love. Otoh YTM is def better on android auto.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I liked Google Music, I dont think I like YouTube Music as much, so I think Ill be making the jump to Spotify.

I love Google, and sometimes I really hate Google. haha

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Just checked the transfer site and it's enabled for me, currently in the process of moving my songs over.

lamaroo

Oct 25, 2017
On YouTube music ... it's brutal. A ton of repeat bands and most of them aren't really close.

SO check it out, here's Google Play Music "Tom Petty Radio"

HEre is YouTube Music "Tom Petty Radio"

UKwbw3n.png

This list is four bands. Tom Petty, John Melancamp, the Black Crows, and Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks ... on repeat. 4 songs by John Melancamp, 4 by the Black Crows, 4 by Fleetwood Mac, 4 by Tom Petty, and then fucking America thrown in there. Moreover, like... The Black Crowes are fine if you have ONE Black Crowes song in there, but .. when you have 4+ Black Crowes songs like... that sucks. It ends up becoming a BLack Crowes radio station.

Same results iwth Bruce and Bob Seger.

I just tried 'Arcade Fire Radio'. Of the 25 songs that first loaded into the playlist, 4 were from their album "The Suburbs", and 6 of them were from The Strokes latest album. Not even a mix of Strokes stuff, literally all of them from their new release, which I love, but if I wanted to hear all of those songs I would just put that album on.

I can't make the switch though. YouTube Premium at that price is too good to give up so I'm just going to have to live with it.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I just tried 'Arcade Fire Radio'. Of the 25 songs that first loaded into the playlist, 4 were from their album "The Suburbs", and 6 of them were from The Strokes latest album. Not even a mix of Strokes stuff, literally all of them from their new release, which I love, but if I wanted to hear all of those songs I would just put that album on.

I can't make the switch though. YouTube Premium at that price is too good to give up so I'm just going to have to live with it.

Yeah same. YouTube premium is really keeping me in it.

I just can't believe how bad the radio features sucks in this. Glad others notice.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
Yeah same. YouTube premium is really keeping me in it.

I just can't believe how bad the radio features sucks in this. Glad others notice.

I have the same issue in that YouTube Premium is a must. I also use the radio feature more than my own Playlist in order to discover new music. Crossing my fingers this gets addressed quickly.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
I could never get my google home mini speaker to reliably play my uploaded music via voice command. It worked maybe 50% of the time, always wanting me to subscribe even for independent artists that weren't on any label. Wifi and DLNA streaming (my home library, not gm library) via phone tether worked fine.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
arstechnica.com

With YouTube Music, Google is holding my speakers for ransom

YouTube Music charges a monthly fee to play my music on my speaker?

Buy the music, buy the speaker, and then buy the right to play the music on the speaker...gross.

Yep this is something thats been resonating with me too. I also own alot of my own music. I ripped all my cds back in the day and have been digital ever since. But my library outgrew keeping it local so I moved to cloud. GMusic was great for that but this is fucking stupid and regressive as hell. Fuck them if they don't fix this shit. And pronto. This habit of moving services BACKWARDS is bullshit and they will absolutely lose me as a customer if they keep on with the shit. Ill find something else.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Reminder, anyone who bought music on GPM should download their stuff regardless if you are continuing with YTM or not since YTM doesn't let you download the files to keep, it's just for offline listening.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder when they're gonna kill Fi. Really like the service but just waiting for them to kill it off.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
I wanted to give Youtube Music a chance, but I don't like the way it treats my uploaded music, and it looks like Play Store purchases don't appear?

Been looking at alternatives. Right now using a 3 month trial of Apple Music on Android and it is surprisingly decent. Since when did iTunes slim down from bloatware?

Are there any considerations between Spotify, Apple Music, or something else for streaming/uploading my own music? I saw that Spotify has a couples option now for $12.99 a month.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to give Youtube Music a chance, but I don't like the way it treats my uploaded music, and it looks like Play Store purchases don't appear?

Been looking at alternatives. Right now using a 3 month trial of Apple Music on Android and it is surprisingly decent. Since when did iTunes slim down from bloatware?

Are there any considerations between Spotify, Apple Music, or something else for streaming/uploading my own music? I saw that Spotify has a couples option now for $12.99 a month.
Spotify's limitations for uploading and listening to your own music are incredibly dumb. If accessing your own library is a big factor, Spotify isn't the service for you.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Spotify's limitations for uploading and listening to your own music are incredibly dumb. If accessing your own library is a big factor, Spotify isn't the service for you.
I just looked up the limitations and if it still caps at 10,000, yikes. The music I have uploaded right now is over 9,000 (joke not intentional) and there's plenty that I've been too lazy to tag and upload in my free time.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm not minding YouTube Music. I like that I can Play Next as well as add to queue, and it's nice to see I won't lose my uploaded music that's been on Google Music for years. Shame it separates them in search results, not sure why it would or should do that. Also getting it with the ad free YouTube which I hate to admit I can't really love without now.

Is there a way to upload new stuff to YT Music? I don't have a computer of any kind to go and check, just my iPad and iPhone.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I just looked up the limitations and if it still caps at 10,000, yikes. The music I have uploaded right now is over 9,000 (joke not intentional) and there's plenty that I've been too lazy to tag and upload in my free time.
It's not just that, it's how you access them. You can't just upload your music to your library and access it whenever/wherever like Apple Music/YT Music. Spotify in desktop you're essentially just using the app to point to and access local music stored on your PC. And if you want to access those files on mobile, you'll need to proactively create a playlist with the songs you want and download the entire thing.

It's an awful solution, and is the single biggest reason I can't use Spotify primarily.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Problem for me is I literally just bought some google speakers so kind of stuck with Youtube Music for now. :\

russbus64

May 1, 2018
I did notice that Apple Music doesn't fully integrate with Google Speakers. Where I could tell them to "Play Pandora", the "Play Apple Music" response is that the app does not support that feature. Not a deal breaker as I have my phone with me 99% of the time.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Good thing this was bumped, of all the things happening with Google this is the one I missed? Trying out the YTM app right now to see how it compares to GPM as my on-device music player. Hopefully it already integrates into Android Auto properly.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if i'm wrong but if you have music stored locally on your phone, can't you use the streaming/chromecast feature to cast to a Google home speaker? You could also continue to use any other bluetooth or castable-speaker.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Even with the free YT Music sub with my YT Premium, their decision to combine your YT Music artist subscriptions with your regular YT channel subscriptions kills the entire service. When I tried the service and went to watch YouTube, and saw my subscription page was now filled with musicians I was so pissed. I can't believe they thought that's what users would want.

Last edited:

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand why they completely separate your uploaded music from music added through the app. It makes zero sense to me. I haven't been able to transfer yet but I think I could get used to youtube music if they just fixed that.

jalkerway

Oct 27, 2017
To anyone that has transferred music yet, if you make like... a Radio or artist/song based playlist, does it pull things from your uploaded library as well as the regular Youtube library? GPM will mix from both automatically, but if it keeps them separate...

Actually, can you even mix YouTube and Uploads together with a manual playlist?

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Even with the free YT Music sub with my YT Premium, they're decision to combine your YT Music artist subscriptions with your regular YT channel subscriptions kills the entire service. When I tried the service and went to watch YouTube, and saw my subscription page was now filled with musicians I was so pissed. I can't believe they thought that's what users would want.
It's the same way with music playlists right now. I open up my YouTube playlists to watch some videos I saved, and now I have all my different music playlists clogging it up.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Definitely moving away from Googles music service once their OG Music service is finally scrapped. YT Music is a Frankenstein monster of a UI when all I want is an easy to browse catalog and my play lists at the ready.

Oct 25, 2017

Apple Music seems to be the best alternative to GPM for uploading your own music and having it integrate into your library. The current limit is 100,000 songs, but I'm pretty sure Apple Music songs count towards that as well. Still, I don't think most people's libraries will ever get close to that size.

Anyway, looks like you can initiate the transfer to Youtube Music now even if you haven't received the prompt through here: https://music.youtube.com/transfer

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Apple Music seems to be the best alternative to GPM for uploading your own music and having it integrate into your library. The current limit is 100,000 songs, but I'm pretty sure Apple Music songs count towards that as well. Still, I don't think most people's libraries will ever get close to that size.

Anyway, looks like you can initiate the transfer to Youtube Music now even if you haven't received the prompt through here: https://music.youtube.com/transfer
Nope. Tells me to wait my turn.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to upload new stuff to YT Music? I don't have a computer of any kind to go and check, just my iPad and iPhone.

Currently no, it seems like you need to do it from computer. Or maybe you can try it from web browser.

Good thing this was bumped, of all the things happening with Google this is the one I missed? Trying out the YTM app right now to see how it compares to GPM as my on-device music player. Hopefully it already integrates into Android Auto properly.

It's much better than GPM with Android Auto imo.

Even with the free YT Music sub with my YT Premium, their decision to combine your YT Music artist subscriptions with your regular YT channel subscriptions kills the entire service. When I tried the service and went to watch YouTube, and saw my subscription page was now filled with musicians I was so pissed. I can't believe they thought that's what users would want.

The workaround is basically use your main Google profile as YTM profile and create a brand account (which is tied to your Google account) for YouTube if you prefer to keep them separate. You can create (unlimited?) brand accounts on YT.

Actually, can you even mix YouTube and Uploads together with a manual playlist?

Yes you can mix your uploads and YTM stuff in your own playlist. However, the songs you uploaded is only available to you so if you share the playlist, others won't be able to listen to the songs in that list. I think that is one of the main reasons they keep uploaded music separate so you are aware which songs are yours and not publicly accessible.

Last edited:

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
It's much better than GPM with Android Auto imo.
Good to know. To be fair, though, the only "problem" I ever had with GPM and AA was that you had to make a playlist for an album and making a playlist was, well, annoying (which just doing it now is more or less the same as GPM, for better or worse). You couldn't just select an album (or better, a folder) despite, ya know, albums having album tags. Sometimes I just want to play an ELO album while I drive, but I don't want a billion damned playlists to scroll through on my car's screen.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Weird, okay nm then. I never got the prompt, but It does let me initiate when I go to that link.

It looks like it'll let me transfer when I go to that link, but I don't think I'm going to bother. I've got all my music on my Plex server anyway, and their music support has gotten better in the last year. It's still useless for discovery obviously, but Pandora works fine for that.