• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I cancelled my Nord preorder today, but have found out the UK preorders for the 4A don't open until Sep 10th and it won't ship until Oct 1st. Which is a real 'first world problem' moment. I'm prepared to wait.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else trading in an iPhone for this? My partner just bought one and opted to trade in her iPhone 7 Plus (128GB), which Google is giving $145 for. I thought that was pretty decent for a 4 year old phone, but it looks like it's going for $200+ on eBay. Does Google usually undercut that much, or are the eBay prices just an anomaly?

It's in pretty good condition, a few scuffs on the body and some slight scratches on the screen. Works perfectly otherwise. Anyone know the best way to sell an older iPhone?
Swappa is the best place online to sell your old phones, unless you get a really good trade dealer at a store/carrier. I've used it in the past.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Anyone else trading in an iPhone for this? My partner just bought one and opted to trade in her iPhone 7 Plus (128GB), which Google is giving $145 for. I thought that was pretty decent for a 4 year old phone, but it looks like it's going for $200+ on eBay. Does Google usually undercut that much, or are the eBay prices just an anomaly?

It's in pretty good condition, a few scuffs on the body and some slight scratches on the screen. Works perfectly otherwise. Anyone know the best way to sell an older iPhone?

Well, you have to factor in they're giving you that much so it can be resold at a higher price, otherwise why would they bother. Its like trading in anything, you'll get more money if you sell it yourself.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
I just pre-ordered through Google's site and was able to get a trade-in for my original Pixel XL estimated at $27, which isn't bad considering it's on its last legs battery-wise.

Anybody know of good phone cases under $30?

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Or, you go with the SE because if you want portability, considering its one of the smallest options in the market nowadays.
Here's a shot of the iPhone SE superimposed over the Pixel 4A:

OEIXyTO.jpg

While the iPhone is a touch smaller, the difference is very small--particularly when you consider that the Pixel's display is so much larger. The iPhone's dated design and massive bezels really reduce the portability/one-handability advantage you'd think it'd have because of the small screen.

Plus, 'portability' is also a function of battery life, and going by the reviews I've read, the Pixel has a significant advantage in that area, as well.

I'm not sure I'd get either, personally - the lowest-tier iPhone I think I'd be happy with is the XR (which is still far too expensive) and the Pixel's 730G processor and relatively poor speakers give me pause - so I'm not trying to evangelise. I just don't think the SE has a portability advantage over the 4A, when you actually put them next to each other.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Since Google is offering $120 for a Pixel 3a trade-in I may just jump on this, the RAM and storage upgrades are probably worth it alone.

Oct 25, 2017
Swappa is the best place online to sell your old phones, unless you get a really good trade dealer at a store/carrier. I've used it in the past.
Good to know. Took a look and it looks pretty simple, plus her phone is going for well over $200 there. Seems like the way to go.

Well, you have to factor in they're giving you that much so it can be resold at a higher price, otherwise why would they bother. Its like trading in anything, you'll get more money if you sell it yourself.
I mean, I don't think Google is reselling these phones traditionally, rather recycling them for materials? I would think they would give slightly higher, or take more of a loss for an iPhone to facilitate people switching platforms.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
iPhone for software support, build quality, customer service as well, by faaaaar
Eh, honestly I've had a worse experience with Apple support/customer service, and build quality for that matter, than the Google equivalent over the years--and by a significant margin. Of course, that's just my experience, but I'd never recommend that someone buy an Apple product for the build quality or the customer service, because I just don't think there's a significant advantage there--my iPad Pro 10.5 has more build quality issues than my Pixel XL, and my attempts to get those issues resolved through support have been both more frustrating and less fruitful than, say, my efforts to deal with my old Nexus 6P's battery issues via Google support.

You do get longer term updates, though--that can't be denied. Most people I know with iPhones older than 3/4 years - the software support window offered by Google on the Pixel - tend to be very frustrated with them, though--more so than I am with my four year old Pixel, anyway.

I'm still strongly considering an iPhone for my next phone - iOS has gotten a lot better over the last few years, to the point where I kind of fancy giving it a go on my phone as well as my iPad - but I absolutely won't be betting on Apple's support or build quality being any better than what I've gotten used to with my Pixel--kinda the opposite, in fact, based on my experiences with my various iPads over the years.

The only Apple product I've ever owned that's lived up to their reputation for build quality is my 2010 MacBook Pro, and that thing's the product of a seemingly bygone era at the company.

Last edited:

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I mean, I don't think Google is reselling these phones traditionally, rather recycling them for materials? I would think they would give slightly higher, or take more of a loss for an iPhone to facilitate people switching platforms.

I highly doubt they're recycling them when old iphones are being sold all the time. Most likely they collect all these trade-ins, and another company buys them in bulk who resells them, which are the listings you see on ebay or swappa where a company has a bunch of them in all colors and storage options.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Do the reviews verify the 4a does NOT use eMMC? I thought the original leaks way back when said it didn't, but I haven't had time to read any of these in depth.

jokingbird

Oct 25, 2017
No wireless charging, dammit. My only disappointment.

This alone is going to make me wait and see on the Pixel 5. It is probably going to be expensive though. I am not sure I want to take step back on technology for the price. All I want is the finger print reader, wireless charging, the same camera system, and a better battery with the usual processor/RAM bumps. They keep removing features I like with each iteration, making me wait on an update.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Dang wish I would have known this was coming up. I love the stock android and that size seems perfect.

Last edited:

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
They are both the same in body size. It's just that the iPhone has massive bezels (you could probably land a small drone in there).
I like the old design and bezels, plus the smaller screen. The Iphone SE is still smaller (135 mm vs the 4a's 144), and more similar to my old Z5 Compact.
I like the stock Android that Google uses, no frills or extra shit, which is nice... but all these phones are so damn big.
I suppose I'm in the minority that liked old sturdy designs.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
The Pixel 4/XL was such a disappointing phone compared to anything other Android phone or the iPhone 11, especially for the price they were asking. Hope this is better.

Hopefully Google learned from "nobody wants 4K 60fps video", poor face unlock (lack of a secure unlock, really) gimmicky features and awful battery.

I really liked my Pixel 1, but it seems each gen they just get progressively worse, feature and design wise. Nice to see this has the back button finger print instead.

The pixel 4 face lock is in no way poor

Gooey

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know how this would compare to a Pixel 2? I've been using that since launch and thinking about an upgrade

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
$500 for the 4a 5G? Is the upgrade to Snapdragon 765G worth an extra $150?
Definitely not here in the UK, at least. The Nord has a 765G and it's only ÂŁ30 more than the 4a. Around the ÂŁ500 mark you start finding phones with SD855s or even the 865, in the case of the Poco F2 Pro. (Which I'd be very tempted by if it wasn't for its software, which generally isn't all that well-regarded.)

It's really unfortunate that Google have decided to price the 4a 5G that high.

Anyone know how this would compare to a Pixel 2? I've been using that since launch and thinking about an upgrade
Processor-wise they're roughly equivalent, so you shouldn't expect a significant step up in performance at least.

direct_quote

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm not sure if I should get this, 4a 5G version, or wait for what Pixel 5 has to offer. Pixel 4XL was a disappointment in terms of battery life and lack of thumb pad to wake up. I still have my Pixel 2XL but the battery life is way worse now, and the charging port is finicky (oh and bluetooth randomly doesnt hook up my phone)... Really itching for a new phone...

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm about to pull the trigger. I asked about the overall experience in the last 4a thread, but will this be a substantial upgrade in video recording quality from a Pixel 2?

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
The pixel 4 face lock is in no way poor
It was pretty bad at the launch period through early 2020. It didn't even require your eyes to be open/eye detection to unlock. Barely any apps could use face unlock for app security at launch, either. It's gotten better, but it was ridiculous how the Face Unlock was so unsecure and slipped past Google.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Its in the right price range for me and I haven't upgraded my phone in 5 years so might buy.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I love my Pixel 4 but with mask usage the past few months and quite a while into the future I'd fucking love to have that fingerprint button back. Even without masks I found it was the quicker unique-ID unlock.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Welp, and here I was dead set on getting a OnePlus Nord. Now I actually have to choose, at least as soon as the Pixel 4A 5G drops.

Damn it.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OK, put in a preorder request. I'm always scared to drop real money on a phone so $350 was the deciding factor. The last new phone I got was an iPhone 6 back when phone companies still helped curb the cost of phones (how long ago was that!?) and I've also used my wife's old HTC 10 so it's been a long time since I got a new phone of my own. I know the processor isn't so hot, but I'll be out of grad school in 18 months, and maybe I'll splurge on something top of the line then. This should be just fine for a couple years.

I'm honestly just happy to have an Android again.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in, I pre ordered, I'd really like a Pixel 5 but I can't wait anymore because my Pixel 2XL needs to be replaced badly.

I wish it was waterproof and wireless charging would be nice. I'm going to miss the 90hz screen and the squeeze to activate Google Assistant but hopefully I can get over that. Can't wait to get it!

GoodGamerGuy

Nov 15, 2017
I'm confused, this isn't coming out till October? Why the fuck would you announce it early August? I need a new phone now badly and was hoping to get this, but I don't know if my phone can last 2 more months.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The battery life on my Pixel phones have gone to shit after a year, but given that there's nothing else out there that interests me I'll opt for the cheaper Pixel this year.
Yeah, what's up with that? The Pixel 1 is the only phone I've known to actually have terrible battery life after a year. I've got old old phones from 2013 and such that last longer even today and was used way more than it. Kinda swore me off buying a pixel phone ever again.

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
Yeah, what's up with that? The Pixel 1 is the only phone I've known to actually have terrible battery life after a year. I've got old old phones from 2013 and such that last longer even today and was used way more than it. Kinda swore me off buying a pixel phone ever again.
I'm not denying this claim, but it is strange to me because my Pixel is 3 years old and the battery still lasts a day and a half for me. Guess I'm lucky.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I'm confused, this isn't coming out till October? Why the fuck would you announce it early August? I need a new phone now badly and was hoping to get this, but I don't know if my phone can last 2 more months.
The 4a is available for preorder now and will be shipping in a couple weeks. The 4a 5G and the 5 were announced Monday, but won't be released until October.

GoodGamerGuy

Nov 15, 2017
The 4a is available for preorder now and will be shipping in a couple weeks. The 4a 5G and the 5 were announced Monday, but won't be released until October.

Is that America only? In Ireland I'm on a waitlist, we can't preorder yet.
When I looked it up, it said August availability for 4a in America and Australia and October for UK. Ireland isn't the UK but they usually lump it in with it for some reason, I don't know if Europe is August or whatever

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
How much in EU though?

These mid tier google phones always show up in EU with not mid tier prices.

Vinimaw

Oct 28, 2017
I want to upgrade but I have to keep the Pixel 1 at all costs - the infinite camera data upload thing is just too valuable (and easily abused).
I thought this was still the case for all Pixels. I bought a Pixel 4XL and they clearly advertised it to me. In the phones options, it's clearly stipulated.

Last edited:

DeepBlueDay

Jan 10, 2020
Will possibly buy in 1-2 years. Until then I hope that I continue to have such a great time with my pixel 3A XL. It's easily the best phone I've ever had. The camera really is fantastic and I love the cleaned up Android OS without any annoying ads etc.