• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
XDA | Google Messages prepares end-to-end encryption for RCS, Google Fi integration, manual cloud restores

One feature that popular messaging apps like WhatsApp and Telegram support but RCS hasn't is end-to-end encryption, but it looks like Google is preparing to add support for that on their own end. The biggest new feature that is in the works in Google Messages 6.2.031 is "End-to-End Encrypted Rich Communication Service messages." According to the strings, you'll have the option to send messages with end-to-end encryption or, if your data connection is poor, without encryption by falling back to SMS/MMS.

I didn't know this was even possible with RCS.

Last edited:

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao for a second I thought Google was gonna end RCS and thought "of course they are" haha.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I can't get this shit to work on my Messages app. Got to work on my old phone with the Activity Launcher trick but it's not working here.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
Good stuff but backing up RCS needs to be figured out, I'm sticking with SMS until that happens.

OP
OP
makingmusic476
Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
Only if you use Google Messages.
Hopefully other apps with the same implementation of RCS will be compatible.

9to5 Google | Google Messages preparing end-to-end encryption for RCS messages

For now, there aren't enough details to know for sure what the exact requirements are for using this end-to-end encryption. It's possible that both parties will need to be using the Google Messages app, though this could change once more apps gain support.