• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zoom gets competition in the growing market for socially distancing/responsible people wanting to maintain social links:

Today, we're making Google Meet, our premium video conferencing product, free for everyone, with availability rolling out over the coming weeks. We've invested years in making Meet a secure and reliable video conferencing solution that's trusted by schools, governments and enterprises around the world, and in recent months we've accelerated the release of top-requested features to make it even more helpful. Starting in early May, anyone with an email address can sign up for Meet and enjoy many of the same features available to our business and education users, such as simple scheduling and screen sharing, real-time captions, and layouts that adapt to your preference, including an expanded tiled view.

It's important that everyone who uses Meet has a secure and reliable experience from the start, so beginning next week, we'll be gradually expanding its availability to more and more people over the following weeks. This means you might not be able to create meetings at meet.google.com right away, but you can sign up to be notified when it's available.

Meetings are limited to 60 minutes for the free product, though we won't enforce this time limit until after Sept. 30. Creating a trusted meeting space is important, and being mindful when sharing meeting links in public forums can help create a safe experience for all attendees.
blog.google

Google Meet premium video meetings—free for everyone

To help businesses, schools, and others navigate remote work and life, we\u0027re making our premium video conferencing solution free for all.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Zoom has pretty much reached a zeitgeist among the masses, constant daily news has stories of funny ZOOM meetings, ZOOM etiquette ect, ect its no longer *Video conferencing" its Zoom. Be hard to pull the majority away from it but it will be better for businesses that use Microsoft's more secure alternative.

Oct 27, 2017
they had a preview of this for businesses for months and completely fucked up by not have it available for general release by the time the whole Covid thing rolled around cause who is gonna use this over Zoom now?

Google and late to the market communication apps lol

Mar 27, 2018
I'd personally love to use this over Zoom, but I'm a single student in classes with 20 to 30 people.

Google was way too late with this, nobody is switching to it. Zoom is entrenched, security issues be damned

BlueSpeedster

Mar 31, 2019
I'd personally love to use this over Zoom, but I'm a single student in classes with 20 to 30 people.

Google was way too late with this, nobody is switching to it. Zoom is entrenched, security issues be damned
Says the guy that has Hugh Neutron as his profile pic. /s
In all seriousness tho, I might agree that Google was way too late for this, and I am going to predict that, even if Google said that it's security is great, that it will be another way to steal data for Google's added money.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Zoom is charging organizations a lot of money right now. I can see some companies jumping ship to a free google meet.

google meet is also end to end encrypted. The security is why teachers in k-12 classrooms have to use it, and can't use zoom.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be shocked if our company drops Zoom after just mandating all meetings be on Zoom by the end of the month.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using Jitsi and see no reason the switch to Meet since they plan on limiting it in the future.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's what we've been using for classes at my school, as we're already on Google Classroom. They also updated it to have a grid view of everyone which it didn't before. Works quite well.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
oh, this wasn't open for everyone? It's decent. I like that it's browser based and that you don't need to create any new account.
Easy to join a meeting too, just paste a link in your browser or type a custom password.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017

Unfortunately this may end up being the case. I've never been a fan of blindly jumping to the new hotness in technology until it has proven itself, but I'm hoping we migrate our Zoom meetings to it. Never mind that Zoom has its own proprietary application. What I don't get is that we actually use G Suite, so I have no idea why we started using Zoom other than it being the new popular thing to use.
Zoom is charging organizations a lot of money right now. I can see some companies jumping ship to a free google meet.

google meet is also end to end encrypted. The security is why teachers in k-12 classrooms have to use it, and can't use zoom.
And this is why I hope Zoom either fixed their stuff or Meet picks up out of necessity.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017

We've been told by our school not to use Zoom at all because of security issues. Our school is very hot on GDPR issues so that might be a reason.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
we mainly use skype at work but have hangouts as a backup, and I use it with friends too. will we need to change that now? lol

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I thought Duo was supposed to be just the Android equivalent of FaceTime but yeah, don't we already have Hangouts?

Meet and Chat are basically Hangouts 2 but split up for some reason for GSuite subs. Hangouts continues to exist as a consumer and business product but is not being actively developed on. Duo and Allo (RIP) were the attempt at making a consumer focused product, with Allo replaced by Google Messages which uses RCS and Duo continuing to exist as a product.

Got that straight? So now Meet is a consumer product too, but not Chat at this point.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
we mainly use skype at work but have hangouts as a backup, and I use it with friends too. will we need to change that now? lol

No, Hangouts will still be the same. I haven't used Meet but I'd imagine it's better than Hangouts because it's been actively developed. Hangouts has basically just been on pause for years... fixing some bugs but that's it.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
My daughter's school is all in on Google, so they have to use Meets right now and... they're fucking awful. I can handle connections sucking. They seem to for everyone. But just getting INTO a Google Meet for her classes can be a pain in the ass. You'll open a link, tap through a few "yes i want to join. Ask to join" dialogs. And then just sit there waiting for a minute until it times out because for some reason the teacher on the other end never gets the request. Rinse and repeat for 20 minute until I say "Fuck it. You're not going to school today I guess".

ReBirFh

Dec 8, 2017
The judiciary system in Brazil already stabilished Google Meet as their go to solution for audiences and it is being used since the beggining of the lockdown in my job. I thought it was free from the start.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Zoom has pretty much reached a zeitgeist among the masses, constant daily news has stories of funny ZOOM meetings, ZOOM etiquette ect, ect its no longer *Video conferencing" its Zoom. Be hard to pull the majority away from it but it will be better for businesses that use Microsoft's more secure alternative.
Right. My 66 year old Mom is doing Zoom calls lol. Workplaces (at least most) have backed off because of security and are going to their safe place, Microsoft. Too late for Google really but no harm in trying I guess.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

Teachers here are using zoom. Why is end to end encryption mandatory for k-12 classrooms, though?

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017

It really hasn't

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I advocated against Zoom and they still installed it on my laptop for large meetings.

Zoom routes traffic thru China FFS.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I used hangouts for a family meeting the other night, it was terrible. no sound isolation, just got background noise from everyone. Zoom was so much better at detecting when poeple are actually talking.

Will be interesting to see if the actual software for Meet is any different.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
what product is this again? oh it's Google, the most confused company when it comes to product offering

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
it's been mandated by many school districts in the USA because of security and encryption. That's all I know.

Security, I can understand, but I don't know why you'd mandate end to end encryption on zoom meetings between teachers and students. Maybe counseling or something confidential, but even then unless it's mandated by law I'm not sure why anyone would care that much.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
so, this needs Gsuit to work? I can only join meetings :/
Same issue here but the website says it is is supposed to allow us to create as well.

Not a big deal as they missed the gravy train on this by weeks. No way will I convince people to get a gmail account for this now that they are so used to Zoom (also because I cannot even create a meeting I don't know that it is a better product lol)