• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
How the hell does Marques Brownlee already have a vid up

Those glasses would fly off of shelves if you told people it's sole purpose was just translation & it's completely offline. No camera & never recording your voice. Just straight up translation.

it would be a massive hit if they nail the execution and branding

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Those glasses would fly off of shelves if you told people it's sole purpose was just translation & it's completely offline. No camera & never recording your voice. Just straight up translation.

Yeah thats what I am thinking too. But I still think they would use it or a version of it to segway into AR stuff. Im a techie and Im a tough sell on glasses solely for AR. But if you give me something like THAT with practical use cases that make sense... and it also happens to have AR capabilities, then.. yeah Okay. Ill check it out at that point.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
That'd help so much when I go travel. I had issues before when I was living in Korea and wasn't so good with the language lol. Had to call a friend to translate for us.

Yeah exactly, it would be mindblowing for that. Although you'd still need some other way to actually communicate since you can see what the person is saying but, unless they're also wearing glasses, they won't be able to understand you.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
are you kidding me? Glass is back?
Curious if it'll have a camera built in, that seemed like the biggest issue people had with Glass (that people could be recording you or taking your picture without you knowing).

I always though lt having a little HUD is cool, and making it an actual pair of glasses and not some goofy sci-fi looking thing is smart.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
That's some humongous bezels on the watch. Wtf.

I like it's round though. Will stick to my Garmin but glad Pixel users get something native finally

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Marques always gets shit weeks in advance, it's basically a meme

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy Watch 4 still looks a lot better than that watch they showed. Don't think I'll be switching

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Back from the dead???
giphy.webp

Oct 25, 2017
If the 6a had a 90Hz screen and 8GB RAM, then I'd have been extremely tempted to buy one. But I guess there wouldn't be much to differentiate it from the base Pixel 6 for $150 less. The Pixel 7 is no doubt my next phone though, just have to patiently wait until October. The battery life on my OnePlus 7 Pro is getting worse and it won't be getting updated for much longer, and the current state of OnePlus just isn't appealing anymore.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
what do people think of the Pixel 6 Pro? is it a good phone? gotta admit, haven't heard much since it's reveal

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
what do people think of the Pixel 6 Pro? is it a good phone? gotta admit, haven't heard much since it's reveal
Have had mine since day 1. Came from 2yrs of Note 10+ and dabbled with the Xperia 1 III for a little under a month before deciding on it.

Was a bit bumpy in the beginning there but nowadays the phone is great and I genuinely like it. The 7 Pro is tempting but I'll probably take the 6 Pro for 2yrs+ while Tensor matures more.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
i hope companies just say fuck it and reveal designs for shit early like they did with the Pixel 7.

they will never beat leaks but i like them not pretending it ain't out there already lol.

if Pixel watch has good fitness features i might dump it for my Apple Watch which Apple has been killing with lately.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie, the music they used during that glasses segment at the end was too creepily similar to some of the music from the series "Devs."

www.youtube.com

Entering Devs / The Machine

Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesEntering Devs / The Machine · Ben Salisbury · Geoff BarrowDevs (Original Series Soundtrack)℗ 2020 Twentieth Cen...

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I've got the regular Pixel 6 and it's just OK. Mainly got it for the affordable price, so for the price it's pretty good.

Battery isn't anything exceptional (gets through a day for me fine), doesn't feel any smoother or faster than the previous Android phones I've had (S20 FE was the last one I had), doesn't seem less buggy either.

Only large negative for me is the fingerprint sensor. The last 2 phones I've owned had in-screen, optical fingerprint sensors and they worked very well (OnePlus 7 Pro, and the S20 FE), but the Pixel 6 is slower than both and more prone to failure in my experience.

Guess I was expecting more from a Pixel after years of people talking about the benefits of the "pure Google experience", fast updates, etc. But I'm not noticing much of a differences from non-Google phones. Honestly I think I still prefer Samsung phones for all the neat little extra features they add, and from what I'm hearing the Pixel 6 has actually gotten updates later than other phones which seems weird.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017

I really like it, but admittedly, mine does have some bizarre issues that I can't exactly fix and hasn't been fixed.

1. The finger print scanner is still super fickle, especially with my left thumb (unlock the phone most commonly with this finger). I often fail it twice to where it goes right to where I need to put in a password/passcode. It's been like this since I got it.

2. It has an oversensitive screen to where I can hover my finger over the screen and it can press multiple times. This also becomes an issue when scrolling sometimes and it tries to highlight something on the page instead of properly scrolling.

3. I've had it where the keyboard will come up in front of the "answer call" swipe button and I have to lock the phone and unlock it to get it to stop.

4. I get random 1 second skips in my music when I have it connected to my car. This even happened to MKBHD.

5. While on Bluetooth, and a call comes in, it sometimes completely mutes my music when I come back from the call, and I would have to turn up the volume to even getting it working again.

6. I've taken a call while on Youtube and when coming back, I've seen it get itself all screwed up, forcing me to close the app to fix the issue.

7. I've had the brightness go way, WAY too dark sometimes and would only go from darkest to brightest and nothing in between. I had to reboot the phone to fix this.

8. I've had random drop outs with calls after about 30 some minutes and it's happened several time on very different days.

9. Another one I have to agree with MKBHD is that it doesn't properly go up to 120 hz refresh when it should be doing so.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
"Pixels doing so great, you guys, ok, let's tank the sales by announcing Pixel 7 six months before launch".

Google is weird.
6 and 6 Pro sales have probably slowed down quite a bit by now and the a-series is usually their top seller. 7 and 7 Pro leaks were inevitable so getting out in front of it early in terms of design was the smart move imo.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
6 and 6 Pro sales have probably slowed down quite a bit by now and the a-series is usually their top seller. 7 and 7 Pro leaks were inevitable so getting out in front of it early in terms of design was the smart move imo.

Not only that, but I'm sure the 6a would eat into sales on its own, especially considering it has the same SoC.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not only that, but I'm sure the 6a would eat into sales on its own, especially considering it has the same SoC.
Yep, Google was leaning very hard into 6a having the same SoC as the current flagship 6 Pro and that'll push people towards the savings of the 6a if they don't care about high refresh rate.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the developer keynote, I have to commend Google for the diversity in the speaker lineup. Great to see PoC be represented on the developer side particularly.

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
If the 6a had a 90Hz screen and 8GB RAM, then I'd have been extremely tempted to buy one. But I guess there wouldn't be much to differentiate it from the base Pixel 6 for $150 less. The Pixel 7 is no doubt my next phone though, just have to patiently wait until October. The battery life on my OnePlus 7 Pro is getting worse and it won't be getting updated for much longer, and the current state of OnePlus just isn't appealing anymore.
Same boat, and I was interested in the pixel 7 and after everything today (watch, pro buds, and 7) I'm extremely ready to switch from OnePlus back to pixel

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Might pick up a pair of Google Buds Pro, pending decent reviews. Pixel 7 Pro is likely a lock for me to go along with the new iPhone for work. Will wait & see on the Pixel watch. Lol at the revival of Google Wallet.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Might pick up a pair of Google Buds Pro, pending decent reviews. Pixel 7 Pro is likely a lock for me to go along with the new iPhone for work. Will wait & see on the Pixel watch. Lol at the revival of Google Wallet.
I originally brushed past the Buds Pro but looking at the page, they have multipoint connectivity which is very nice. So you can have them switch between your potential Pixel 7 Pro and work iPhone without issues. I think that can come in handy for people that have devices across multiple OS' and want a single pair of buds.

Kinda iffy on the Pixel Watch after seeing the chonky bezels. Will be in wait and see for that one depending on reviews.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Considering Google has been launching new Pixels with flaws and widespread issues, only to fix those issues with the "a" versions the following year, I really wish they would:

-Announce the new series in ONE size
-Announce the "a" versions in regular + XL

The 6a looks cool but I'm tired of big phones. Even with the fabric case on my 4a 5G (and my previous 2 XL) I always struggle to hold it with one hand while also getting my thumb over to whatever I'm trying to tap. I need a smaller screen to make that easier, but don't have the money (and patience to deal with issues) to get the first run of a new series.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
I originally brushed past the Buds Pro but looking at the page, they have multipoint connectivity which is very nice. So you can have them switch between your potential Pixel 7 Pro and work iPhone without issues. I think that can come in handy for people that have devices across multiple OS' and want a single pair of buds.

Kinda iffy on the Pixel Watch after seeing the chonky bezels. Will be in wait and see for that one depending on reviews.

Yeah that's my thinking on the buds, plus I need an upgrade for working out. ANC is a nice bonus since I travel a lot (planes), but I'll likely continue using my Sony XM4's for that.

Big wait & see on the watch, though I might just get a higher end Garmin for activity/work out tracking; big plus is the incredible battery life on those.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that's my thinking on the buds, plus I need an upgrade for working out. ANC is a nice bonus since I travel a lot (planes), but I'll likely continue using my Sony XM4's for that.

Big wait & see on the watch, though I might just get a higher end Garmin for activity/work out tracking; big plus is the incredible battery life on those.
ANC and Transparency Mode are nice perks and I've had an overall good time with the A-series Buds that came with my Pixel 6 Pro. People have told me the mic quality over calls is great which is currently my primary use for them.

If the Pixel Watch reviews are meh I may lean towards the Samsung, but the Pixel Watch will have the Fitbit integration and lack the need for Samsung apps like the Samsung Watch wants. A lot is riding on it (hopefully) getting good reviews but for the first attempt it's a bit ehhh lol. Just get the vibe that the best paired watch for the Pixel phone will end up being the Pixel Watch.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The watch just feels kinda… eh. Can't wait for the tech press to hype up yet another Wear powered watch, yet again. "This time, google is REALLY taking it seriously!!!!"

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017

After playing around with smartwatches for a while, I realized all I need is a place to see messages on my wrist and track exercises. Replying and using apps was never good enough, so I never did it, especially when my phone is in my pocket.

I bought a Fenix 6 on sale last Black Friday and couldn't be happier. Looks good, can track with gps for days, and battery lasts 10-14 days between charges.

After the shit AirPods Pro build quality issues, I'm interested in seeing what the buds pro look like.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
After playing around with smartwatches for a while, I realized all I need is a place to see messages on my wrist and track exercises. Replying and using apps was never good enough, so I never did it, especially when my phone is in my pocket.

I bought a Fenix 6 on sale last Black Friday and couldn't be happier. Looks good, can track with gps for days, and battery lasts 10-14 days between charges.

After the shit AirPods Pro build quality issues, I'm interested in seeing what the buds pro look like.

Yeah same here, I never use watches more than for the fitness/tracking features. Appreciate the shout out for the Fenix 6, I'll take a look at it; Garmin have a huge range and it's a bit overwhelming!

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
"Pixels doing so great, you guys, ok, let's tank the sales by announcing Pixel 7 six months before launch".

Google is weird.

Not really man. It's not like 2015 anymore. Everyone knows the cadence of phone releases. There's like zero people that saw those images watching I/O that wouldnt already know a successor is on the way. We are all well accustomed to that by now. If you were going to wait, you would do so with or without a sneak peak.

And I dont think they would mind you skipping the low/mid tier phone of theirs in order to buy their next flagship either 🤷🏾‍♂️

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'm using a Fenix 5 and it is been such a reliable companion over the years. It's really really good if you are not interested in all the "phone on your wrist" stuff. If I need to I can look up a message but I almost never do.

Will upgrade to the next Forerunner 955 or what it will be called I think. I would prefer a lighter watch now that I'm running so much.

Anyway. Highly recommended