• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Glad I've been slowly rolling my online presence away from google. Largest thing left is email -- which ugh.. is the most difficult thing to relocate.
I'm in the same position. The effort involved in switching my email accounts over just seems impossible. Happy to say I don't use them for anything else (except when I have to reverse image search something).

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
"Review bombing" has lost all its meaning at this point. If an app doesn't do what it's set out to do, and that's your review/criticism, is that really considered "review bombing"?
"review bombing" was always just a term by the developer or platform holder to say "lots of people suddenly make stars go down". It's not about justification, it's about the negativity. People aren't meant to speak up, for any reason whatsoever instead you are just meant to shut up and consume.
So Google implemented an algorithm to detect these spikes and make them go away. So things can easily be forgotten and we can go back to happily consuming.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"review bombing" was always just a term by the developer or platform holder to say "lots of people suddenly make stars go down". It's not about justification, it's about the negativity. People aren't meant to speak up, for any reason whatsoever instead you are just meant to shut up and consume.
So Google implemented an algorithm to detect these spikes and make them go away. So things can easily be forgotten and we can go back to happily consuming.

Some people lost money, or profit, I doubt unless Robinhood can come out with a good explanation people will forget.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Damn. This is a big problem for figuring out review bombing. On the one hand, this is de facto review bombing, on the other, it aligns with unethical and probably illegal behaviour by the app's developer.

My guess a solution would be to have some sort of "Read more about X company" that would show popular news articles about the company itself.

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
It is absolutely amazing that these people just don't understand how these stuff works. You are just making things worse, just let it go and in a few days the whole internet will forget about this and everything will go back to normal. But no, you guys have to intervene and make things worse.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

"Review bombing" does have a pretty clear definition, which is leaving reviews for reasons other than the performance of the product. The clearest examples of review bombing take place when people that don't even own the product are allowed to leave reviews.

It just happens that, in this case, the reason for the negative reviews is precisely the performance of the product; which makes it, objectively, unarguably and by definition, not "review bombing". It's not a matter of opinion or discussion any other than calling a spade a truck would be; any attempt to frame the situation as "review bombing" is an equivocation at best, a bare-faced lie at worst.

I understand Robin Hood is a shit company but I thought review bombing was bad?

Review bombing is just another form of protest. You can protest for terrible reasons, like "you removed b00bs from my game!" or good reasons, like in this case.

See above. This is not review bombing.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Google has no legitimate reason to delete negative Robinhood reviews.

"Review bombing" implies that the negative evaluation isn't motivated by actual content but just spite.

But Robinhood is an objectively bad app since it only allowed me to Sell but not Buy GameStop stock which is inherently bad for a stock trading app.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
The cracks have been there forever, just nice to finally have some light shining through so everyone can see.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
"Review bombing" does have a pretty clear definition, which is leaving reviews for reasons other than the performance of the product. The clearest examples of review bombing take place when people that don't even own the product are allowed to leave reviews.

It just happens that, in this case, the reason for the negative reviews is precisely the performance of the product; which makes it, objectively, unarguably and by definition, not "review bombing". It's not a matter of opinion or discussion any other than calling a spade a truck would be; any attempt to frame the situation as "review bombing" is an equivocation at best, a bare-faced lie at worst.
No, that's the "pro consumer fairy tale" definition review bomb. The real world definition is this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Review_bomb said:
A review bomb is an Internet phenomenon in which large groups of people leave negative user reviews online for a published work, most commonly a video game or a theatrical film, in an attempt to harm the sales or popularity of a product, particularly to draw attention to an issue with the product or its vendor.[SUP][1][/SUP] While a review bomb may be a result of consumers criticizing the poor quality of the product, it can also be associated with perceived political and cultural issues around the product, its vendor, or related works
It's simply about the huge amount of negative reviews. And systems to detect and counteract this, like Google is using, aren't interested in people giving good reasons or whatever, or whether they own the app in question (which btw, is a necesity to leave reviews on the Play Store). Any effort to stiffle review bombing is, ultimately, just about making sure the consumers don't get too upity.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
How is this different from Steam's automated review bombing protection system?

Automated systems aren't hyper intelligent AI that know when a company has done something fucked up and deserves to suddenly have a bunch of bad reviews. Seems like something kicked in and is doing this automatically. I noticed someone else post this earlier and it's been largely ignored.