• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
8123946030.png

I pay $50 a month.

You should really consider switching to WOW if it's available to you. I don't regret it at all.

8124044612.png

I've been thinking about paying the extra $10 a month (although maybe it went up, looking at the site) and getting the 1 Gbps service.

Last edited:

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
most likely, a streaming box means nothing to me when google is going to want streaming on as many devices as possible. So this thing is dead in the water if you own any android device. The service may be nice, but if you own a shield you would be insane to not just use GeForce Now which allows you basically use most of your steam library, uplay and even battle net library to play games.

4 people own shields.

No one will ever stream to an "android device" because spoiler, they dont have controllers and touchscreens suck.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
When not using HDMI, do the TVs apply the image enhancement features (like frame interpolation, advanced upscaling methods) which cause a lot of the lag?
TV's usually allow turning on and off the game mode at your discretion, so that would only be a minor bother.
But it would suck if the feature is tied to a specific input.

TheDeep1974

Oct 26, 2017
When not using HDMI, do the TVs apply the image enhancement features (like frame interpolation, advanced upscaling methods) which cause a lot of the lag?

Yes, and even if you disable them manually lag will still be there. I've tried it on my Panasonic, game mode on has a much higher response rate than game mode off with everything disabled.

Nov 4, 2017
Yes, and even if you disable them manually lag will still be there. I've tried it on my Panasonic, game mode on has a much higher response rate than game mode off with everything disabled.
Interesting. I wonder what else it turns off or changes for game mode. I'll have to try the same thing on my Samsung sometime. Would be worth mucking around with the SteamLink app too (might actually be worth going back to the physical Steam Link via HDMI?).

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
That seems rather expensive. I'm paying about $110 after tax for gigabit in Atlantic Canada from Bell Aliant.
Yeah here we have cheap cell phone plans but for Internet if you want fibre you pay for anything above 100mbs as you only have SaskTel for an option and then I have a 60TB Plex server I share with a bunch of friends so I pay extra to double my upload speed

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Man such a weird series to display like that. The fact they have a Daydream VR headset, it's a at least partially streaming console, say "anything you can dream" and showing a Sega Dreamcast makes me wonder if they are actually gonna call the fuckin thing Dreamcast.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
I could see them doing a streaming tablet. Knowing them it would make sense: Minimum hardware investement + maximum profits from streamed games.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man such a weird series to display like that. The fact they have a Daydream VR headset, it's a at least partially streaming console, say "anything you can dream" and showing a Sega Dreamcast makes me wonder if they are actually gonna call the fuckin thing Dreamcast.
They aren't going to call it that if the logo looks like an S.

Streamcast though....

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I m expecting the announcenent of a Dreamcast Virtual Console for Google new platform.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
The red one is Playstation Now. Or any other streaming platforms of the past.

"One failure doesn't end the dream"

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
Well played Google I've never seen a company predict their own failure before even announcing the product

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
Google Dreamcast with power glove controls for immersive VR experience. And they've prepared a landfill to bury their unsold stock when they discontinue it next year.

Can't wait for the reveal!

/s

Hazzaku

Oct 25, 2017
It's not an error. It's a known thing in fighting game tournaments for example.
Also, anyone who competes at Call of Duty LAN events (at least MLG ones) nowadays has to use a device like a Cronus Max to avoid the input lag of wired mode on DS4s that support it. That and the issue that arises when you have 100s of DS4s in wireless mode at a venue.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
To people with crazy internet speed, how much are you guys paying monthly?
FIber 200 mb here, packaged with HD cable TV, for 72 bucks a months. Didn't realize how expensive that is until I made the dollar conversion. But well, that's a good price for living in Southamerica I guess.

On topic, considering how the Internet is not equally good in all places, my safest bet for this new Google thing: not gonna be a streaming only console, it has to have some digital stuff to be downloaded and play without a constant internet connection.

The Flop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly ready to have my wig scalped, but their offering needs to be strong.

Daddy already has a 4K gaming device (Queen Xbox One X) a PC (Apex/Overwatch box), and a switch (that's collecting dust).

So come through with something fun and worthy of my coins.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
The empty display doesn't mean much tbh.

It could stay empty and be their marketing catchphrase for the streaming service: LOOK MA, NO CONSOLE !!!

(seriously though)

Deleted member 16753

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To people with crazy internet speed, how much are you guys paying monthly?
$29 for 10Gb (not a mistake) up/down.

Edit: That package came with all of this:

Internet
- 10 Gbit/s (10'000 Mbit/s) maximum upload and download speed
- Fiber box and accessories included: Router, Wi-Fi (WLAN) 4X4 MIMO, 10 Gbit/s Ethernet port.

TV
- Apple TV 4K 32GB included
- 250 channels included
- Multi-box/ multiple screen(5 signals)
- Access to Salt Video(Films & series)
- Cloud recording of up to 500 programs
- Pause/start & Replay function 7 days

Telephony
- Unlimited calls to fixed and mobile networks in Switzerland
- Best tariffs for international calls
- High Definition voice quality

And this is in one of the most expensive countries on the planet.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
The most interesting thing here is what software google will be developing and whether it will be open source. MS is, of course, proprietary and designed for vendor lock-in. Ideally, we will get some serious open source investment going on that can challenge MS on the streaming front, and maybe even used for things like Linux gaming.