• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
There are 2 of those empty display cases inside the West building. I highly doubt its just a controller.
Edit: meant controller lol
uqI60iw.jpg

What else could there be idk. I think it would be weird to put the same product in both when they're right next to each other.

That's a damn good point, Maybe there's hope after all?

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine having a controller in your backpack, and being able to play AAA games where ever you are just by casting the controller to any device.
The only screen that most people have readily available to them wherever they are is their phone screen, and I don't think there's much demand for any kind of device that allows AAA games to be played on a phone.

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder when it will release. If it's a console within the controller (like minor processing power for inputs and WiFi) that streams games to anything with a screen it could be huge for the right price

Also, I assume there will be a subscription with a bunch of games but I wonder if they'll have individually purchased games too. Like you wouldn't expect say, Modern Warfare 4 to be included in a bulk subscription package but would they let you buy it for $60, streaming only, too?

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
There are 2 of those empty display cases inside the West building. I highly doubt its just a controller.
uqI60iw.jpg

What else could there be idk. I think it would be weird to put the same product in both when they're right next to each other.

Two different colored controllers?

As someone else already pointed out, this screams failure down to the fugly logo. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I'm highly doubtful...

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018

One for the controller, the other for the box

Controller will be standalone and stream stuff

The box will be dedicated hardware that will run games offline

Oct 27, 2017
The only screen that most people have readily available to them wherever they are is their phone screen, and I don't think there's much demand for any kind of device that allows AAA games to be played on a phone.
That's literally I ever hear from people. I love my Switch because it's the closest I can get to that reality since I have to have my phone on me at all times

If this is supported and works well on decent WiFi I'd be interested if it connected to my iPhone

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I wouldn't take Jason Schreier as the truth (he was one of those guys super confident on Star Fox GP lol), but it's true and we all know regardless of the hardware Google plans are all about the streaming, that's their vision for the "future of gaming" and we can all assume that S stands for Stream.

That said i can see them selling a box for those who want that experience for the living room.

I just hope it's not a dongle because while the Chromecast is cool that product is so half baked in many ways.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You say you want a revolution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world
You tell me that it's evolution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017

The way Google have arranged these plinths full of randomly-positioned hardware, it could be anything. Some Google employee could be out searching for a 3DO to put in there.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
The way Google have arranged these plinths full of randomly-positioned hardware, it could be anything. Some Google employee could be out searching for a 3DO to put in there.
No these are clearly supposed to be associated with Google. So many google logos in the radius lol.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they spare us the 'You've been stuck in the dark ages' tripe. Presenting all of these first iteration innovations and pretending OnLive didn't exist.

Part of me hopes so badly that they just put some cotton balls the final display to represent "the cloud"

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
No these are clearly supposed to be associated with Google. So many google logos in the radius lol.

Yea its obvious for their hardware as their space either has a red pillar or red ring around it. Could just be a space for the same piece of hardware though; a different color, or a low-end (720p/1080p capable) or high-end (4k capable) like you have the standard Chromecast and Chromecast Ultra

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Does google need any permision from console manufactors to make an exposition of old consoles ?

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
ya that's kind of a small display for a console/controller. leaning towards a USB dongle and controller.

lame

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
uqI60iw.jpg

controller+dongle, 2 different controller SKUs(maybe a premium one since that's all the rage these days?), different colors/sizes, the options are endless...

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
If it is Dreamcast 2 I'm openly weeping.

All Google had to do was buy the trademark from Sega and it's done.

The S looks like a stylized version of the top half of the Dreamcast swirl logo.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think the big question is do you have to buy games and pay full price in order to stream/play them?
Does anybody seriously expect GTA/RDR/CoD on some $10/month streaming service?

It will be more expensive than $10/month, just as game discs cost more than BluRays. Expect some sort of $30/month subscription that includes online play.

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Google Streamcast: a dongle + controller. Partnerships announced with some console manufacturers to play older games that were exclusive to, for example, PS1.

OpenEmu style!

Feb 4, 2018
It's been the big three for so long. I would so be down for Google to do something big here and shake things up, but I have no idea if they can actually pull it off. We'll see tomorrow.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
It'd be pretty ballsy of them to have all of those "old" consoles in the display case and then just keep theirs empty, implying that the future is not a physical piece of hardware.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
It'd be pretty ballsy of them to have all of those "old" consoles in the display case and then just keep theirs empty, implying that the future is not a physical piece of hardware.
The thing is, these games still need hardware to run on. In the past you bought the hardware, now you just rent it through cloud from google.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm just excited we're getting a legit 'new' contender in the gaming space. Whatever it is Google seems to be going at it all guns blazing.