• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Unusual that it's so much cheaper in Canada. The 5 here is $799 CAD, which is like ~$599 USD.

I want to wait for reviews, but if they're positive and there's a discount for black friday I might be tempted.... though I wish there were a 5 XL. :\

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
All about that vanilla Android experience.

That's really the main appeal of the Pixel line- Not the specs.

Still amazed that this has to be pointed out every time a new pixel phone is launched.

That hold for me feature is fantastic.

Edit - Ordered a chromecast as well. I have a fire TV stick, but the lack of HBO app is getting to me.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Still amazed that this has to be pointed out every time a new pixel phone is launched.

That hold for me feature is fantastic.

Edit - Ordered a chromecast as well. I have a fire TV stick, but the lack of HBO app is getting to me.
I guess everyone is different, thats not enough for me. The S 20s cameras are already amazing, and i think people oversell the vanilla android experience, in my opinion

When theres two similar phones, but one has overall better specs and features across the board AND for a better price, its a no brainer. For me at least

dont see how the pixel 5 with a snapdragon 765 and 90hz can compete with something like the S20 FE with snapdragon 865, 120hz, and sd card support, and $100 less lol

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah true, I don't think I want a bigger phone than a 6" screen.
I top out at 6.2, so the whole current Pixel line is all I could do. If I wasn't tethered to Samsung Pay, I'd finally have an alternative beyond Samsung.

I am sure there is someone out there, but just looking at the numbers....better snapdragon, better battery, more hz, and cheaper price...i tend to see people be more swayed by price than anything else, and the specs are great
For sure, but you're also getting a pair of wireless headphones depending on the region. So to some, the package isn't really more expensive if they were planning on getting Galaxy Buds+ or Galaxy Buds Live.

Plus the trade in.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Just grabbed the new Chromecast from Target for $50. First impression: its a nice device. It's a bit sluggish, but I'm used to a $180 Apple TV 4K so everything is slow in comparison lol.

This is for the bedroom and cloud game streaming, so I'm gonna give it a go tonight and post some impressions soon.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
assume the netflix offer works pro-rata towards a higher service tier so 6 months standard = 3-4 months HD or something like that?

don't know why the power cable doesn't support ethernet out of the box - an accessory later is a shame. For peopel just streaming TV maybe thats fine, but if they're talking about stadia, and MS's xcloud app appears to be supported, along with steam link you'd think there would be an out of the box option for wiring it up

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
What happened to new news, new thread? Didn't realise this had actually happened yet.

Deleted member 69501

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2020
Wow, zero hype for this conference. Good job google.

With that being said. I'm actually interested in a decent amount they announced haha

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Darn was hoping for a new Nest Smoke Detector and thermostat. My old detectors just went up so I am in the mood to pay a ton more to get something that links it with my homekit.

gamma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why is the € price of the Chromecast so high? Even with VAT added it's like 40% more expensive than the $ price.

The Pixel 5 on the other hand is cheaper for some reason.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
I guess everyone is different, thats not enough for me. The S 20s cameras are already amazing, and i think people oversell the vanilla android experience, in my opinion

When theres two similar phones, but one has overall better specs and features across the board AND for a better price, its a no brainer. For me at least

dont see how the pixel 5 with a snapdragon 765 and 90hz can compete with something like the S20 FE with snapdragon 865, 120hz, and sd card support, and $100 less lol

Enjoy the S20 FE. I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else to buy a Pixel 5.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like the first time Google is actively promoting Google/Android TV on their own hardware in....a long time?

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like the first time Google is actively promoting Google/Android TV on their own hardware in....a long time?
It makes sense, Android on TVs has gradually been gaining ground thanks to Fire TV, Shield, and certain TV manufacturers like Sony and Vizio. It's a pretty well developed ecosystem for Google to push again, and it's smart that they're doing it in concert with a low cost device like a new Chromecast.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if the new Chromecast is worth the upgrade if I have an Ultra? Am I alone in thinking this?

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
So Stadia works perfectly fine on the new Chromecast. I'm able to sync my DS4 up and play perfectly fine, feels like I'm playing Tomb Raider natively tbh.

But xCloud just doesn't work. The stream will load and within a few seconds it'll just freeze. I have no idea why the Game Pass app requires so much horsepower to run a stream in comparison to Stadia but they gotta fix that.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
Struggle to see the use in having a chromecast on top of Web OS. Used my Gen 2 daily on my old TV, but modern high end TVs make it a bit redundant

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Well I was going to buy a Pixel 5 to get a phone with 5G support, but they had to go and ruin the screen. I really hate the irrational war on bezels that the entire phone market is engaged in right now. Are there any good 5G phones that didn't feel the need to shove the screen into where the camera should be (serious question)?

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Decided not to upgrade for now (2xl to 5) will wait for reviews and maybe even a price drop. I like what the 5 offers but I don't feel like it's worth a 600+ eur purchase if my 2xl is still peforming.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted a Pixel 5...but I think I'm going to stopgap with another cheap LG device instead until 5G is iterated on more in devices and the coverage is increased (a la 4G circa 2011ish). That hardware/software combo is nicely balanced (and the software support is guaranteed to be supreme), but I don't know about the price relative to other "value" phones.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I wanted a Pixel 5...but I think I'm going to stopgap with another cheap LG device instead until 5G is iterated on more in devices and the coverage is increased (a la 4G circa 2011ish). That hardware/software combo is nicely balanced (and the software support is guaranteed to be supreme), but I don't know about the price relative to other "value" phones.
i recommend looking into the S20 FE if you havent, its $599 (for now), budget, still 5G, and great specs

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
That blue...sorry Sky Chromecast sold out fast, had to settle for the white one. I can't wait to see how it runs. I have use the Fire stick 4k and it kept crapping out. I currently use the TiVo Stream 4k and I really like it but it does have some bugs that are annoying (like flickering when streaming). Do we know how much storage it has? Any websites have detailed specs on this thing?

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
lol
cGTxAG8.png

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Hmm... I'm tempted to upgrade my Pixel 2XL to a 5 but I think I will hold off for some reviews to see if it is any good.

Bought the new Chromecast to replace my old Roku player. Been thinking about switching to Chromecast for a bit now but this was the push I needed to do it. Is there anywhere that has more detailed specs for the new Chromecast? I can't seem to find any.

Al Kameido

Aug 15, 2019
Am I crazy for wanting to upgrade from the Pixel 4 to the 5 just because the battery is larger? I thought about the FE, but I can't get past the size. I feel like the P4 is like a great size for me.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
My Pixel 3 contract is actually ending tomorrow...

I was waiting to see what the 5 is about but so far I'm still leaning towards getting a Samsung S20 instead... Am I making a mistake?

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, I'm in the market for an android TV device, I might pick one of these new Chromecasts up for a TCL I have in my workout area. I was looking at the cheaper Shields but this might fit my needs better.

I like the TCL for my needs, but that Roku interface and app support is rough.

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
Decided not to upgrade for now (2xl to 5) will wait for reviews and maybe even a price drop. I like what the 5 offers but I don't feel like it's worth a 600+ eur purchase if my 2xl is still peforming.

Kind of in the same boat. Also have a 2XL. It performs great, but the battery is awful now. Can't get through a full day without charging it at some point. Main reason I want to upgrade. Hoping for a decent black Friday sale and hopefully I can decide on a color by then!

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
That blue...sorry Sky Chromecast sold out fast, had to settle for the white one. I can't wait to see how it runs. I have use the Fire stick 4k and it kept crapping out. I currently use the TiVo Stream 4k and I really like it but it does have some bugs that are annoying (like flickering when streaming). Do we know how much storage it has? Any websites have detailed specs on this thing?

Android authority mentions it has 8 gigs lf storage. I ordered the pink per my 3 years old advice through best buy. Googles website said it would not deliver until January.

Oct 30, 2017
£599 for a Pixel 5 plus one of the best wireless headphones (that retails for £299) for nothing?

Pre-ordered this for my partner, as she has held onto her Pixel 2 for over three years now, and would welcome 128GB (there's so many photos/videos on her phone) and a near bezel less design. She also loves the ultra wide lens on the iPhone 11 too so, that's another nice bonus ... 😊

That 'subtle sage' colour is beautiful.

Looking forward to upgrading my five years old iPhone SE with an iPhone 12 mini this coming month too!
I thought Pixel 2's came with unlimited original size storage in Google Photos, why would she not take advantage of that?
She could could upload every photo on her phone now without compression and it wouldn't cost a thing.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
8 gigs total, 4 usable. But you can hook up external storage with a hub

L-gon

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if the Chromecast/Netflix bundle will allow for a $77.94 credit for those of us with an Ultra HD subscription?

I tried a quick chat with Netflix and they were unaware of the promo for now.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I thought Pixel 2's came with unlimited original size storage in Google Photos, why would she not take advantage of that?
She could could upload every photo on her phone now without compression and it wouldn't cost a thing.
The first Pixel has unlimited, the Pixel 2 had 2 years, I believe. Nowadays I think we dont even get that anymore.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I ordered my Chromecast about 45 minutes after the conference. Still no shipping notice. I did the pink with Netflix bundle, not sure if that will delay things.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Comcast TV for 70€ in Germany. Why Google. Also it doesnt come with an ethernet port which really sucks. Having shell out another 20 bucks for the an usb hub... im almost inclined to buy the nvidia shield 2019 but it doesnt support HDR. 😑

Anyways seems like the google store is only way to order one online. Ordered mine at midnight CEST and it shows delivery around 19th-20th october. Fantastic.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish they went higher than 128 GB, especially now that they've taken away unlimited Photos storage. That's literally the only thing holding me back.