• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think Google’s gaming hardware will be?

• Actual console

Votes: 147 9.9%
  • Streaming box

Votes: 792 53.5%
  • Both

Votes: 498 33.7%
  • Controller

Votes: 42 2.8%

• Total voters

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
why they gotta do this on a tuesday

weekends over, week is here, it sucks, everyone's grumpy, we just want some tasty pressers to make our week brighter

now we all have to suffer through monday without any joy in our lives

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
why they gotta do this on a tuesday

weekends over, week is here, it sucks, everyone's grumpy, we just want some tasty pressers to make our week brighter

now we all have to suffer through monday without any joy in our lives

Because more developers will be in San Francisco for GDC on Tuesday than on the weekend or today?

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
if it's a streaming box I hope they offer PC quality graphics. If there is a way to test if my connection is enough I would be interested.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Your going to be very disappointed if you think your going to get every new game in a subscription service (and have it that cheap).

Not in the first iteration (i.e. what we see in 2019-2021) but even if Microsoft doesn't find a way to profit from that subscription service, I feel that they wouldn't mind subsidizing the costs on behalf of the consumer. All Microsoft cares about now is users being heavily engaged in their ecosystem and gaming is one of the best engagement methods available.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if it's a streaming box I hope they offer PC quality graphics. If there is a way to test if my connection is enough I would be interested.

The quality of the graphics is not a problem, could easily be better thane PS4/XOne with a decent connection but the problem will be lag and framerate.

Newlove

Oct 28, 2017
England
I think its...not going to be anything mind blowing, but more just like an official launch kind of thing for their Chrome streaming service, but expanded to a Netflix style app. That's my expectations anyway. Possibly a PS Now type streaming stick/hardware device to add.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Having tried PS Now a few times in the past year and being very disappointed 120/10 connection, I'm interested to see what comes of this.

My hope is this could ecilpse everything we've seen so far and offer a real alternative to the existing console hegemony regarding streaming.

I'd try to give it the benefit of the doubt. PSnow tech is light years behind what MS and google have cooked up in terms of remote computing. One is basically all the old onlive tech (i.e. video streaming with remote input), while Microsoft Azure technology has much greater context in terms of deciding what processes get done remotely VS locally. It's not big lump of compressed video being streamed to the user all at once.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When you think about it google already has a bunch of XBL/PSN accounts through google/gmail accounts. Man if they offer free online play I cant wait to talk about that lol

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A flop is what I'm hoping for. Google getting into gaming is not a good thing. Remember how appalling the initial reveal was for the Xbox One? We do not want Google in this race.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
PlayStation is by all accounts killing it right now, and barring one mishandled home console (PS3, which later recovered), they've been killing it historically. What a weird comment.

I think you missed the point of my comment. I was saying that it would be wild if Google and Microsoft streaming competition killed PlayStation's reign as number one. Not necessarily took them out of the gaming space. And this is because of that historic market presence. This could be a battle of gods and Sony would be slightly out of their depth.

sandkiller

Oct 28, 2017
Portugal
D19H84FUcAAowvR.jpg:large

source: https://twitter.com/johnvoorhees

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
I really really hope it'll run on a pc or app or whatever. I can't justify a fifth platform to buy. Let me use an xbone controller. Port it to TVs as a smart tv app or put it on Apple TV and I'm in.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A flop is what I'm hoping for. Google getting into gaming is not a good thing. Remember how appalling the initial reveal was for the Xbox One? We do not want Google in this race.
You hope for a flop, I'm hoping it takes off and it's about time someone joins the console arena, it's been pretty damn boring if I can say so.

Google is just as evil as every big corporation, but life moves on.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Too bad Google already has a device named "Pixel" because that name would have fit even more perfectly with it's gaming device than it's smarthphone. Hoping for something cool, I don't expect a fully fledged traditional home console tbh... but if they do, things are gonna shake for real on the industry with a 4th main contender joining.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's streaming app but for those that need a device, it'll be something small and come with a controller

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
I have a feeling this will be another Google 'rolling out' product like Google+, meaning that everyone will be super excited, discover they can't use it yet, then by the time most of us can actually use it, everyone has forgotten about it and its a massive failure.

Except even worse because it will roll out 'worldwide', and 'worldwide' means the US to Google, so it will 'roll out' in the US and then maybe the UK or Canada in 2020 and the rest of Europe in 20XX if we are lucky.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I have a feeling this will be another Google 'rolling out' product like Google+, meaning that everyone will be super excited, discover they can't use it yet, then by the time most of us can actually use it, everyone has forgotten about it and its a massive failure.

Except even worse because it will roll out 'worldwide', and 'worldwide' means the US to Google, so it will 'roll out' in the US and then maybe the UK or Canada in 2020 and the rest of Europe in 20XX if we are lucky.
Yeah we still can't even buy a Google Hub in Canada, Sadly I fear this one will take a while before we can get it. I never even thought about this till just now

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
My take: discless local system with streaming option, free online and gdrive for saves.

It would be kinda interesting if they did have a local system, they could have features like being able to play a game the minute it releases over streaming while you wait for the local game to download in the background.

But I still highly doubt we're going to see a full fledged powerful console tomorrow, it'll most likely be a streaming box bundled with a controller. I wouldn't be surprised though if they do talk about releasing a local console sometime in the future but just not right now.

Weird... I wonder if that's their gaming brand logo?

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Anyone already thought that it could be not just a console, but a standard. Like Android, but for gaming consoles. That anyone can use to make their own?

3DO tried this back in the day and it was a huge flop but they weren't big like Google.