• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think Google’s gaming hardware will be?

• Actual console

Votes: 147 9.9%
  • Streaming box

Votes: 792 53.5%
  • Both

Votes: 498 33.7%
  • Controller

Votes: 42 2.8%

• Total voters

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ng4WEMM.png

Please, PLEASE be Avatar. Dying to see that game in motion.

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
Run these games on an insane PC (custom or not) that no one could ever afford and that could actually be something interesting. I feel like that's the interesting part of the cloud that no one talks about. People talk about running Devil May Cry 5 or whatever, but why would you want to do that? You can get that experience better elsewhere. Give me something that is beyond anything this or the next gen of sub $400 (or even $1500) hardware can do. Subsidize it through subscriptions and loose money because you are Google and there you go. A reason to exist in this market is formed.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I would love a new competitior, just not if it's a 100% "bottom-line" coward company where they cut corners and sell it like it's "innovation" and in the end what we experience on their platform is just less impressive and because it's successful it bottlenecks the entire competition to go the same route.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not expecting much. As others have said, if this was a legit and native console, something more substantial would have leaked out about it. You just can't create something to the tune of an Xbox One X, get developers, makes games, design UI, start manufacturing stuff and not have more be known about it.

It's going to be some dinky streaming box that will be easily defeated by whatever MS or Sony build in or include for free with their nex-gen consoles.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a feeling this will be an "available now" kind of streaming platform for anything with google chrome/chrome cast on it and sporting most if not all third party games. Maybe pretty cheap intro subscription (120 usd a year?) and you can use any bluetooth controller, and if they make a platform it might be something along the lines of a firestick, plays media and has chromecast so you can link your tv to it. So yeah, basically a netflix kind of approach (with them adding and taking away games on a monthly basis, mostly adding 4/5 bloockbusters third parties and lots of lesser/last gen/old pc/android games.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
In order to get into this Keynote I'll probably have to get to the convention center at like 8am.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
watch the visuals in the ad be the visual fidelity of whatever they announce.

That shit would break Era

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
I have a feeling this will be an "available now" kind of streaming platform for anything with google chrome/chrome cast on it and sporting most if not all third party games. Maybe pretty cheap intro subscription (120 usd a year?) and you can use any bluetooth controller, and if they make a platform it might be something along the lines of a firestick, plays media and has chromecast so you can link your tv to it. So yeah, basically a netflix kind of approach (with them adding and taking away games on a monthly basis, mostly adding 4/5 bloockbusters third parties and lots of lesser/last gen/old pc/android games.

Yeah that sounds sensible.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
After seeing a lot of their products fail and be shutdown altogether I wont be considering option they bring at all unless it actually sells good right off the bat.

Nov 14, 2017
Another vote for a streaming box here. It makes the most sense considering Google already has data centres everywhere.

If anything, this could hopefully bring game streaming to a wide audience. Streaming is absolutely not targeted at players who already own a console or gaming PC. It's about expanding the market to the billions of people who don't own such a device.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
if its an actual console, they have done an incredibly good job at keeping it under wraps.

Yeah I don't think there will be a new hardware console at least yet.

Google devices in the past were leaked at least weeks before announcement through patents, FCC ratings, manufactured parts, demo units, etc. If they are releasing it and its kept this much a secret they did a real good job this time.

The only thing we know about is the patented controller which would match with if they were using their existing devices & services.

Last edited:

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
I believe they are effectively going all-out, with both the already tested streaming service and a local-processing console. The Sega partnership could be huge, and Google has the resources to poach several heavyweights.

IIRC, there hasn´t been a comparable scenario: four companies haven´t been simultaneously successful in the console space. The current fragmentation of the PC gaming stores adds further complexity to the near future of the gaming industry.

A newcomer at this point of history is indeed surprising, but I think they have some vital advantages when compared to the current platform holders: they own YouTube, Chrome and Android, which are almost worryingly dominating and will be presumably integral to their strategy. Their ecosystem is vast and relatively coherent. They (sometimes undeservedly) have a mostly positive image, mainly among the non-tech savvy.

They somewhat stole Microsoft´s thunder about streaming. Next Tuesday both companies will be giving more details about their respective services, but the spotlight is undoubtely on Google´s side. If Google´s project takes off, I think this could lead to a paradigm-shifting battle, with much more emphasis on the cloud and monthly subscriptions.

They have much more resources than Sony and Nintendo, both of which have strong and vocal userbases but (as far as we know) will probably try to remain tied to more traditional, hardware-based, closed ecosystem offerings for the foreseeable future.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Screenshots of each game:

maxresdefault.jpg

3, 2, 1 countdown... Rocket League?

nF3s4Q6.jpg

Dropping from a plane, some sort of BR game? COD?

8sCeYlV.png

No idea

a2FCcov.png

For Honor?

Ng4WEMM.png

Ori?

zJf6LEW.png

F1 2019?

wW7JhFJ.png

Rockband?

reMn70w.png

Elite Dangerous?

I think it's more likely just a string of unrelated scenes to invoke a variety of video tropes and not indicative of anything that will be at the event.

Basically 'Hardcore Gamer Vibes' the Teaser Trailer.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
If this is a traditional console I'm expecting some moneytrucks to have been delivered to some big devs.

But saying that there is no way you keep something like this under wraps so I'm expecting a streaming box.

Surprise me Google.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
The quality of the games shown in that teaser is pretty damn good. So whatever it is that they announce it should be interesting.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I'm so excited to see what they are doing.

But I honestly don't see them competing at ALL in the big three's space, they could carve out a cool niche but that's about it.

Also Google doesn't have the focus needed to maintain a successful console. I've known a bunch of people that have worked with Google on game projects and they love to just get up and cancel them, it's really really shitty.

Hopefully this is cool though!

blazinglazers

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Guesses based on teaser trailer, assuming those are all subtle game teases for their device:
  • FIFA
  • Rockband
  • Need For Speed or F1 2019
  • Call of Duty Black Ops 4
  • Elite Dangerous
  • ??? (unsure about fantasy game)

Teasing recognizable settings with AAA graphics seems like it's making specific promises.

It'd make sense for this to be a multiplatform box hosting various digital storefronts and streaming services.
EA Access, Xbox Gold, Epic Game Store, Steam, Netflix, Hulu, HBO etc.

I'll bet these are all multiplat games, building on your list:
maxresdefault.jpg

Fifa / Madden / Rocket League

nF3s4Q6.jpg

BLOPS 4 / PUBG

8sCeYlV.png

Anthem / Destiny

a2FCcov.png

Elder Scrolls / Dragon Age / For Honor / Kingdom Come

Ng4WEMM.png

zJf6LEW.png

F1 2019 / Need For Speed

wW7JhFJ.png

Rockband

reMn70w.png

Starfield / Elite Dangerous / Star Citizen

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Guesses based on teaser trailer, assuming those are all subtle game teases for their device:
  • FIFA
  • Rockband
  • Need For Speed or F1 2019
  • Call of Duty Black Ops 4
  • Elite Dangerous
  • ??? (unsure about fantasy game)
I'm getting heavy Ori and the Will of the Wisps from that fantasy game...

If you're talking about the glowing mushroom forest scene.

But the castle hallway thing was really generic so hmmm...

Oct 25, 2017
'Google's vision for the future of gaming'

I don't think any of the clips are for specific games. Rather, they indicate the player's experience/perspective. Meaning that either AR or VR might be involved.
They just finished the Project Stream Beta, so it could be just a streaming device via a Steam Link-thing, your phone/tablet, or Desktop Google Chrome.

Coolest idea would be combining the two: a mobile soc/5G streaming VR headset - games, movies. Something like that could be a future component of whatever they'll be announcing.
Other companies are already heading in that direction.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
You're underestimating Microsoft, you're overestimating Sony. What makes Microsoft more vulnerable that Sony? Sony has more to loose and absolutely more casual users to jump ship. Google having NBA2K, CoD and the like with no online subscription alone would decimate the other two aside from their core bases. It's a battle on the horizon with an adapt or die way of life. Sony is the only one that will have issues adapting at present given what we know.

What makes MS more vulnerable? The fact that the name Xbox doesn't sell nearly as many consoles and games as PlayStation does. The success goes beyond hardware, its also ever apparent in their new IPs and new installments of existing PlayStation franchises. To argue this is pointless after we have seen how huge the appeal of the PS4 is.

And no its not that simple as getting major series with the perk of playing them without an online subscription. There are a lot of other factors that go into being a gaming platform and we have to see what Google's vision is.

Also, Sony is in no immediate need of adapting to a streaming service but they have been investing in PlayStation Now for a long time. They just have no issues selling consoles so they are not pushing a future where they dont need them

Brand power and presence is no different to brand reputation and recognition which don't mean much without results.
Take apple or Samsung, they are Huge brands but other competitors are chipping away at there market share because they are providing products as good or better.

Sonys customers are honed in? No they are not, people will continue to buy PlayStation if the games and hardware continue to come of the quality they have known to expect from Sony. That does not mean automatically people are more prone to buy PlayStation.
More people will have high expectations and high confidence in PlayStation over xbox but what the games, hardware, price and other things end up being will determine what platform people go for.
There is no reason to think an Xbox gamer is more likely to switch to Google gaming then a Sony gamer, on the contrary if Xcloud is stronger then PSNow maybe the Sony gamer would be more inclined to go with Google... But I don't think that I think people will buy what they like and there no way to determine that without knowing what's on offer.

It has little to do with reputation for a lot of territories where the Xbox name just has little importance and meaning. Much of Europe and Asia will just buy the next PlayStation because of its brand for their newest gaming platform purchase.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I really don't think those shots are from games. They're generic game trope settings, as per other comments above.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Seems videogames related. Let's hope they show something else in addition to a joypad and a streaming service.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
'Google's vision for the future of gaming'

I don't think any of the clips are for specific games. Rather, they indicate the player's experience/perspective. Meaning that either AR or VR might be involved.
They just finished the Project Stream Beta, so it could be just a streaming device via a Steam Link-thing, your phone/tablet, or Desktop Google Chrome.

Coolest idea would be combining the two: a mobile soc/5G streaming VR headset - games, movies. Something like that could be a future component of whatever they'll be announcing.
Other companies are already heading in that direction.

None of them are from games, obviously. I'm glad someone else understands.

This was just a "This is what video games are, that's what this is" type of thing. It's just quick mock-up stuff. They're obviously all on the same engine and It's just a silly little tech example.