• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think Google’s gaming hardware will be?

• Actual console

Votes: 147 9.9%
  • Streaming box

Votes: 792 53.5%
  • Both

Votes: 498 33.7%
  • Controller

Votes: 42 2.8%

• Total voters

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I seriously wonder if this is exactly how it felt when plans for the original Xbox popped up. Giant American tech firm with massive resources making a serious push, but as an unknown quantity.

Oct 28, 2017
4th Console? Please this is 2019

E V E R Y O N E I S H E R E !
9527_vcs_51b6476e926e9b5f570c8d92e94191fe.jpg

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
If the Sega rumours are true then I'm in.
Hopefully it will be a cheap streaming-only box.

Daytona USA 4 with raytracing / raster hybrid rendering.

with overall graphics that look as far ahead of current games as when the original Daytona USA arcade on the Model 2 board.

Also, Phantasy Star V.

Predicting names.
G-Spot
G-nis
Genesus
Googlo
Googlbox
G-Stream
G-Play
Google Games

You forgot, the G-CAST !!

Lesthe

Alt-account
Banned
Feb 19, 2019
France
Can someone do an edit of Super Smash Bros 4. reveal video and replace the franchises by the manufacturers ?

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
While sony's mind share and reputation does count for something, I think your putting to much weight into brand loyalty, only a handful of fan boys care that "Sony" is printed on a particular box, most gamers care about, actions.
Google can take away customers away from sony just as easily as they can MS.

Its not brand loyalty, its brand presence and brand power. Google entering can be seen as an "attack" on competitors, but the most vulnerable one is always going to be the one that bleeds the most. This is undoubtedly Xbox.

So its silly to say Google can take away customers from Playstation just as easily when the PS4s continued popularity shows how honed in consumers are to the brand for gaming.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
It would be ironic if Google ended up with a lot of exclusive Sega content as the original Xbox was in many ways a surrogate Sega home.
Sega's Creative Assembly did develop Halo Wars 2 recently though.

Apr 9, 2018
That "leak" sounds like someone's wishlist, they're not gonna try to sell a streaming service with virtua fighter and jrpgs, as much as I'd like to see those games. I haven't seen any evidence that streaming is good enough for fighting games in general, even if they were more popular.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
Is it possible this box could be superior to the service tested by rendering a portion of the games' assets while streaming others?

Its possible .. infact i think this is exactly what the XCloud is going to be imo but i dont know if Google wants to get into the gaming hardware business especially with the future being streaming.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Sony, easily.

Nintendo will keep on trucking entirely on the back of their first party games and unique hardware features, and Microsoft's got one foot out of the hardware race already.
Lol, what? I love how Nintendo is just gonna keep trucking along without a worry in the world. After seeing that controller I dont think none of them have anything to fear from Google. And I'd say Sony has the least to fear.

People think that great games just fall off of trees is insane. It took 4 generations for Sony to get to this level they are at now, they ain't going anywhere. Neither is Nintendo or MS, but if Google is serious about this then something has to give. Usually the weakest is first to go, so..

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Those record breaking 20 billion revenue made from Playstation's fiscal year has everybody shook. Having that source of incoming is looking extremely enticing to Google, Amazon, Samsung, Facebook and Apple right now.

Sony has completely changed the game in the console industry.

Made so much money from it, it made big leagues like Google finally cave in to grab a piece of the cake.

Google has mobile gaming with Play Store, Sony has the console market locked up, and Valve has the indies and high-games with Steam.

This is the most Interesting timeline for the video game industry. No joke.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I hope Google becomes the Epic or console gaming so people can say how Google is bringing competition via moneyhatting

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

NO

WAY

IN

HELL

I mean it sounds insane but if google are serious enough then they could've easily thrown tens of millions at sega for exclusive rights, they have the money to throw.

That teaser felt way more "gamer" oriented than anything google has advertised in the past, I really think they've done their research on this.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine a multiplatform game comes out that you want to play

You have an option to sub for 1 month for 15$ and finish the game before the month is over and you unsub, you just played and finished dmc5 for example for 15$

Or you could buy dmc5 for 60$ or on sale for 45$ on pc or console

I would take the sub option because I most likely will never play dmc5 again after I finish it

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Probably fake.

Skies of Arcadia 2
New JSR
Virtua Fighter 6
New atlus IP
New 3d sonic

All 5 exclusive to Google console.

I can believe the rumors about Google seeking out Sega IP to lure in hardcore gamers, but there is absolutely no way they make the next 3D Sonic game exclusive to a Google console.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Its not brand loyalty, its brand presence and brand power. Google entering can be seen as an "attack" on competitors, but the most vulnerable one is always going to be the one that bleeds the most. This is undoubtedly Xbox.

So its silly to say Google can take away customers from Playstation just as easily when the PS4s continued popularity shows how honed in consumers are to the brand for gaming.

You're underestimating Microsoft, you're overestimating Sony. What makes Microsoft more vulnerable that Sony? Sony has more to loose and absolutely more casual users to jump ship. Google having NBA2K, CoD and the like with no online subscription alone would decimate the other two aside from their core bases. It's a battle on the horizon with an adapt or die way of life. Sony is the only one that will have issues adapting at present given what we know.