• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think Google’s gaming hardware will be?

• Actual console

Votes: 147 9.9%
  • Streaming box

Votes: 792 53.5%
  • Both

Votes: 498 33.7%
  • Controller

Votes: 42 2.8%

• Total voters

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
While sony's mind share and reputation does count for something, I think your putting to much weight into brand loyalty, only a handful of fan boys care that "Sony" is printed on a particular box, most gamers care about, actions.
Google can take away customers away from sony just as easily as they can MS.

It's not like Sony have had a streaming service on the market for years now....
I don't have any faith Sony improves that. They will need to find a partner if they want to enter the stream wars.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Better or worse than fanboys of the company that brought you Windows and Office, or the company the brought you the Walkman and VCR's ?

I would say probably about where MS fanboys were at the time Xbox was announced. Sony was at least making hardware (other than mouses and keyboards) when they entered the market.

They already have the largest (mobile) gaming platform in the world: iOS.they've already won.

Android is factually more widespread than iOS. It is FAR more fragmented though.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually interested in what their plans are. I'm just kinda lowering my expectations because I feel I'm just going to be baited into a box that just runs Android games.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
People that think this is not going to move the needle need to open their eyes up.

Google could literally drop this console in a $30 Chromecast like stick and have it be subscription based and shake up the entire Industry.

Getting a parent to buy a cheap dongle and a $15 per month plan is a hell of a lot easier than getting them to buy a $200-400 console plus games.
You need content to sell hardware and/orsubscriptions. And content is expensive.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Lets be real that kinda of service takes time to build and mature. If this is a streaming service (which I bet this is ) then i expect them to price this pretty aggressively which is going to sway a lot of casuals but if you are the kinda of person who expect high fidelity from their games then this is probably not going to be a thing for you in the near future.

It has to be said early impressions from those who had the chance to play Assassin's Creed Odyssey through Project Stream were very positive.

I don't know what to make of Google creating first party exclusives or what is going to be their catalogue, but if they launch a streaming service relatively soon that can work on everything and it's crazy cheap, hardcore gamers will be in as well.

They have the resources to make a streaming service that can compete with Microsoft, we'll have to see what is their commitment, gaming is not a one and done, there has to be a long term support.

Last edited:

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
oh its absolutely scary, I dont know your geographic location, but the state of the US internet infrastructure is abysmal already with just streaming netflix and hulu. Can't imagine what 5 game streaming services will look like.

I travel for work and stayed and lived in dozens of cities the last 5 years, hardly ever have problems streaming on Netflix. 99.8% its flawless for me.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
People really thought Google was just going to have a mobile game box? I guess some people didn't join the Google streaming beta and played Assassin Creed in their chrome browser.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
oh its absolutely scary, I dont know your geographic location, but the state of the US internet infrastructure is abysmal already with just streaming netflix and hulu. Can't imagine what 5 game streaming services will look like.

I also doubt we'll see friendly options for consumers

Canadian prices are awful. I buy and sell all my games and survive by putting the money I sell into the next game

I cant do a streaming future

Though actually we're probably seeing sub s instead

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
Google Stream Box is my guess... though I wouldn't be surprised if it a console AND an app that you can use on your phone or other electronic device (to stream games from the net.. not from the box).

Maybe you buy the game physical, get access to the stream version and then cloud saves.... woooo baby, my dreams come true.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
If the Sega rumours are true then I'm in.
Hopefully it will be a cheap streaming-only box.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Project Stream has Joined the Battle!

4TI5.gif

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
While sony's mind share and reputation does count for something, I think your putting to much weight into brand loyalty, only a handful of fan boys care that "Sony" is printed on a particular box, most gamers care about, actions.

I'd say people that buys gaming machines to play video games cares about games, as long as Sony puts some good games out there it'll be safe. Their internal studios are peaking right now.

May 30, 2018
I don't expect much

Struggling to think of Google Hardware that is best in class, and even if they bring a powerful traditional box, I'm not sure how they'll differentiate themselves from like MS tbh

I expect some kind of android streaming service

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I travel for work and stayed and lived in dozens of cities the last 5 years, hardly ever have problems streaming on Netflix. 99.8% its flawless for me.
Cities usually have great infrastructure for internet services, but you start getting out into the sticks with poorer service or you start dealing with ISP throttling and monthly data caps, a streaming future gets very messy, very fast.

my apartment has decent internet for a city, but we hav four people streaming movies and tv shows daily and we always hit a terabyte, easily. that's a cap for a lot of people with basic internet services. thankfully i use an independent satellite based ISP so I have no cap.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People that think this is not going to move the needle need to open their eyes up.

Google could literally drop this console in a $30 Chromecast like stick and have it be subscription based and shake up the entire Industry.

Getting a parent to buy a cheap dongle and a $15 per month plan is a hell of a lot easier than getting them to buy a $200-400 console plus games.
No, that sounds like a PS Vita TV and we all know what happened to that

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
It has to be said early impressions from those who had the chance to play Assassin's Creed Odyssey through Project Stream were very positive.

I don't know what to make of Google creating first party exclusives or what is going to be their catalogue, but if they launch a streaming service relatively soon that can work on everything and it's crazy cheap, hardcore gamers will be in as well.

They have the resources to make a streaming service that can compete with Microsoft, we'll have to see how much they want to commit to it though, gaming is not a one and done, there has to be a long term support.

Agreed.

I played AO on their service and it was pretty good but that was capped at 30 fps and there was very apparent input lag which is tolerable for a game like AC but would stand out even more for more fast paced titles. Obviously that was beta and things will only get better but i highly doubt we are anywhere close to getting high fidelity- high performance experiences from any of the streaming services from the get go.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
My guesses are :

1) Ouya/Zeebo done right
2) Stream thing that only works well in the USA
3) Google Glass reworked as a game console/VR competitor

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I don't expect much

Struggling to think of Google Hardware that is best in class, and even if they bring a powerful traditional box, I'm not sure how they'll differentiate themselves from like MS tbh

I expect some kind of android streaming service

Google's Pixel line of smartphones have always had arguably the best smartphone cameras in the industry with good build quality.

They are improving their hardware side of things. When it comes to supporting their unsuccessful services though...

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
I'm not really in the market for yet another set-top box that functions exactly the same as the other two (three if Switch counts) already under my TV, except the fact that it plays a couple games I'm interested in that the others don't.

I hope that, for flat gaming, their strategy is streaming, and their dedicated gaming hardware is a VR platform similar to the Oculus Quest. If streaming really is the future for traditional gaming, why even go through the trouble of pairing your streaming investments with a beast of a console? Be the proof that streaming can work for traditional games, corner that market, and also try to establish yourself as a standard-bearer for VR.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Google were actually planning to release a new platform we would probably know about it by now since they would have to have all kinds of hardware partnerships and game development deals.

A streaming service would be kind of a snoozer announcement, at this point.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly dont think it matter what games it got. Nvidia shield got plenty games even some Nintendo games in some places and still haven't made any noise to be looked at as a 4th console manufacturer
Nvidia didn't have the clout to make the Shield look like a legitimate option. Google has the right combination of money, influence and technical expertise to make it work. Not saying this venture will amount to something in the long run, but this is the closest thing we've had to a 90's Sony or Microsoft-caliber player entering the industry in a very long time.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

Most gamers dont care about actions, only a handful fanboys care about them.
Gamers care about games.
Sony not only develivered again this gen but they step up to another level when it comes to games.
On other hand when it comes to games MS is in their wrost moment probably ever.
So no they cant take away customers from Sony just as easily as they can from MS.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Cities usually have great infrastructure for internet services, but you start getting out into the sticks with poorer service or you start dealing with ISP throttling and monthly data caps, a streaming future gets very messy, very fast.

my apartment has decent internet for a city, but we hav four people streaming movies and tv shows daily and we always hit a terabyte, easily. that's a cap for a lot of people with basic internet services. thankfully i use an independent satellite based ISP so I have no cap.

This is exactly why we need more streaming services. Only then will ISPs also become more competitive with prices, get rid of data caps and improve infrastructure as internet becomes another utility next to water, electricity, gas etc.

There shouldn't be any data caps anymore in my opinion anyway. In an era where we can stream 4K movies, FLAC music, online gaming etc, it is just beyond me how customers are expected to deal with as little as 20-40gb a month for silly prices. Even if you look at some caps of 250gb and up, it's still nowhere near enough. Even if you take an average family we're they watch few movies a night, the child downloads gears 4 and plays other games online, the other child is streaming music along with the normal internet usage of the rest of the family, data caps should be forbidden.

May 30, 2018
Google's Pixel-line of Smartphones is pretty good in my opinion.
Google's Pixel line of smartphones have always had arguably the best smartphone cameras in the industry.

They are improving their hardware side of things. When it comes to supporting unsuccessful services though...

Yeah, they are good, but I'd say clearly below Samsung and Apple.

it seems some ppl think Google entering any industry= automatic domination when that isn't the case like in phones/tablets/laptops

Even in streaming boxes, you have Apple TV and Roku leading them I think

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018

It's a mix for me, mostly cities but also towns, nothing super remote.
Agreed.

I played AO on their service and it was pretty good but that was capped at 30 fps and there was very apparent input lag which is tolerable for a game like AC but would stand out even more for more fast paced titles. Obviously that was beta and things will only get better but i highly doubt we are anywhere close to getting high fidelity- high performance experiences from any of the streaming services from the get go.

Is it possible this box could be superior to the service tested by rendering a portion of the games' assets while streaming others?

g23

Oct 27, 2017
No way Amazon and Apple by and do nothing. Expect a console from both of them within the next few years.