• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think Google’s gaming hardware will be?

• Actual console

Votes: 147 9.9%
  • Streaming box

Votes: 792 53.5%
  • Both

Votes: 498 33.7%
  • Controller

Votes: 42 2.8%

• Total voters

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And Sony isn't?
Makes no sense.
It make perfect sense. Google could provide the competition in streaming while Sony provides competition in hardware atleast for next gen. The gen after that who knows. Of course, Sony may lose some audience but theirs is much bigger and popular around the world. Their exclusives have also become huge. In the worst case scenario If Sony loses NA they still got the rest of the world. If MS loses NA it's a huge problem.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Also, remember way back when Microsoft had a crazy idea of making a console.

With a name of xbox no less.

With dev kits in the shape of an X.

Really.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Why do these always fall onto a work day? You'd think a saturday or something would be better.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
I'm interested, but I'm also a person who's heavily tied into the Google ecosystem. I have a Play Music subscription, a Pixel phone, and purchase all my media from the Play Store. Plus I enjoy seeing the crazy things Google throws out in their fun hardware experiments (though it sucks for the people who buy these things). So I'm excited to see what this will mean for me.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
On one hand - every body doubted BOTH Sony and Microsoft when they squeezed themselves into the market. So no doubt, Google CAN do it.

On the other hand - time and time and time again, the market has shown it can barely support three players; let alone four. Four video game system manufacturers has never stayed viable.

Deleted member 46103

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2018
People that think this is not going to move the needle need to open their eyes up.

Google could literally drop this console in a $30 Chromecast like stick and have it be subscription based and shake up the entire Industry.

Getting a parent to buy a cheap dongle and a $15 per month plan is a hell of a lot easier than getting them to buy a $200-400 console plus games.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
A flawless streaming service.

Integration with google services

They could do some fancy shit with cross integration with Android smartphones and the supposed box: from first party games that can connect to smaller mobile games, to use your Android smartphone as a second screen.

Personally i expect:

- a cheap streaming box ($100) that can also work as set top box with Chromecast functionalities.
- some game from the third parties rumored to be in (Ubisoft, SEGA), maybe Virtua Tennis or Samba de Amigo as the revivals
- some bad first party exclusive.

Anything more than that would be a surprise.

Google assistant built in surely inevitable?

'Ok google - play chu chu rocket'

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
I was thinking about this a few days ago, thinking there was nothing Google could offer that would tempt me. But then it struck me. Offer as good of online services (or better) than Sony/Microsoft (they'd have to try hard to be worse than Nintendo), and then don't charge for it. Perhaps even making a promise that they would never charge for online services, only ever charging for a PS3-like PS Plus/Game Pass like service. That alone would be a major incentive for me, and I think a lot of people too.

Lets be real that kinda of service takes time to build and mature. If this is a streaming service (which I bet this is ) then i expect them to price this pretty aggressively which is going to sway a lot of casuals but if you are the kinda of person who expect high fidelity from their games then this is probably not going to be a thing for you in the near future.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Google entering the home console market could be a bad thing in the long term with how effective Google Ads is but exciting nevertheless.

I rely so much on their services every day: watching videos, storing and editing files, email, maps, searching the internet and browsing. Generally when they set their sights on something they do it better than anyone else.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Microsoft is directly competing against Google, look at how they rushed out that xCloud vid in October as a response to Google and their service testing.

If Google becomes to streaming what PlayStation is to hardware then Xbox is essentially up against the ropes.
Exactly this. If Google plays this right they could really screw up MS's plans. What if it streams all PC games? What's that gonna do for MS? Fucked that's what.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Damn it's happening, now I'm kind of excited!!! This can definitely add some surprises. You have my attention Google. Please be traditional with streaming aspects secondary or Co existing equally.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Sega discontinued the Dreamcast in March 2001, Xbox and Gamecube came out in November 2001.

In reality back in the the '80s and early '90s there were a lot of different consoles available however the stakes to be competitive became so high that only the most powerful companies survived (Nintendo which was the biggest videogame company in the world and an electronic giant like Sony later joined by a software mega corporation like Microsoft that burnt $4 billions just to have a chance in the next round).
So Google basically has the cash to force themselves into this. It makes me wonder if they poached any devs from Microsoft's xCloud service. We're entering very interesting times.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
The birth of a fourth console fanboy is upon us.

Exciting times.
22855.jpg

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't see this being successful if it's only a streaming box. It needs to be a hybrid of physical and streaming to gain some kind of traction.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Sony's head is far more above the water than MS because of their popularity is virtually every region. This is also primarily a streaming war regardless of what hardware Google shows.

uh

Microsoft alone can spend the entire industry into the ground

You think if Google and MS throwing money around is going to lead to good things for Sony? lmao

MS has been handling the game industry with kids gloves. if google enters, MS will go from using their coin purse to using their vault.

Sony isn't in a great position if Google enters.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Idk, seems scary. Feels like ms was just a little early with xbox 1. family sharing, renting games on a sub, and trade in deals sound great though
oh its absolutely scary, I dont know your geographic location, but the state of the US internet infrastructure is abysmal already with just streaming netflix and hulu. Can't imagine what 5 game streaming services will look like.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On one hand - every body doubted BOTH Sony and Microsoft when they squeezed themselves into the market. So no doubt, Google CAN do it.

I think the difference in the past was that people were not nearly as invested in ecosystems as they are now. Switching consoles back when Xbox came out didn't involve losing an entire friends list, digital purchases & content, achievements/trophies, etc.

If Google wants to be the platform in someone's home, and not a secondary console that you own alongside an Xbox/Playstation/Nintendo console, then that's going to be a hard sell. You have to create an attractive enough platform that will switch people away from multiple generations of getting ingrained in their ecosystem of choice.

It becomes doubly skeptical (at least for me) because Google has a history of abandoning products and moving on to the next toy they create. Does this Google gaming platform actually have long term support from the corporation in the same way that the big 3 do?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Microsoft is directly competing against Google, look at how they rushed out that xCloud vid in October as a response to Google and their service testing.

If Google becomes to streaming what PlayStation is to hardware then Xbox is essentially up against the ropes.
yep, it was obvious after MS just dropped that xcloud video a few days after google stream test lol.
MS are afraid of Google's move, they are mainly going to compete with one another from now one. actually this would be seen as an advantage of sony if MS is really shifting their focus to the streaming service future rather the consoles.
regarding nintendo, i find the rumors about apple making a gaming focused IPod interesting. i could see Apple directly trying to compete with the switch as well.
all in all, interesting times ahead.

Feb 10, 2018
Sony's head is far more above the water than MS because of their popularity is virtually every region. This is also primarily a streaming war regardless of what hardware Google shows.
While sony's mind share and reputation does count for something, I think your putting to much weight into brand loyalty, only a handful of fan boys care that "Sony" is printed on a particular box, most gamers care about, actions.
Google can take away customers away from sony just as easily as they can MS.

It make perfect sense. Google could provide the competition in streaming while Sony provides competition in hardware atleast for next gen. The gen after that who knows. Of course, Sony may lose some audience but theirs is much bigger and popular around the world. Their exclusives have also become huge. In the worst case scenario If Sony loses NA they still got the rest of the world. If MS loses NA it's a huge problem.

It's not like Sony have had a streaming service on the market for years now....

greetdeath

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love a 3rd competitor, especially someone with pockets as deep as Google has, in the high-end home console market. It would make for some incredible competition.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Google doesn't have a good record with complex hardware, so I don't expect a classic console.
A streaming box with the Netflix of video games ? Yes.
Is there a market ? Not sure.

Iyagovos

Verified
Jan 18, 2018
Probably cause you be at work when it happens and you just see it online.

Saturday is a day nobody want to be looking at screens and be online typing stuff all day

This, but also people need to work at shows. GDC is a trade show, and so companies are paying for people to be there. Working on a weekend is bad for everybody, generally.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
Exactly this. If Google plays this right they could really screw up MS's plans. What if it streams all PC games? What's that gonna do for MS? Fucked that's what.

What do you mean stream all PC games ? What is stopping those publishers from having those games stream on the XCloud too ? No doubt Google will moneyhat some games for exclusivity but not all games will magically stream on their service without any cost to them.