• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think Google’s gaming hardware will be?

• Actual console

Votes: 147 9.9%
  • Streaming box

Votes: 792 53.5%
  • Both

Votes: 498 33.7%
  • Controller

Votes: 42 2.8%

• Total voters

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
If this is anything other than a tradional console than this'll flop no matter what.

If they convinced 3rd parties to do a streaming subscription service it has a better possibility of being successful for what it is. That is much more reasonable than another $300-500 gaming box on the market.

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
Looking forward to them taking Sony's space at E3 this year, hopefully.

Also, if those rumors pan out, and there's a traditional-ass home box with retail games, i'll jump into this shit.

But if it's streaming-only, count me out. I got a 1TB data cap and can't waste it on streaming video games every month. That added cost to my internet bill every month in addition to the cost to stay subscribed to such a service would have me paying out way more money over the long-term than it would be to just get discs and a box.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here we go.

This will not end well for console gaming.

Best case scenario: its a success and they take all the mainstream casuals away from Sony and MS.
Worst Case scenario: its a success and they take all the mainstream causals away from Sony and MS leaving Sony and MS with no capital or incentive to spend $50-100 million on single player exclusives.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Wait... Apple and google are making real next gen consoles??

I don't expect much from Apple, they think gaming on an iPad is the real deal, at best they will announce a new controller for the new generation or for Apple TV, some new collaboration like a new mobile game coming first on iOS and that's it.

But Google has been working on this for a while, hiring experienced people from the industry, according to rumors they want to have a real offering for gaming which means first and third party exclusives, and a new console on top of Project Stream.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Man if this really is Google trying to brute force their way in like Microsoft did back when, things are going to get very interesting come E3. But I can't even imagine how much investment an actual traditional console would need to even have a chance of being relevant. It'd require a near bottomless pit of money just to get off the ground with first party exclusive content. I don't see how any company, even one as massive as Google, would bother with such a high level of risk and such a small chance of success.

But man, wouldn't it be something if they did?

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
If anything like most other Google products, it'll be half assed and either cancelled or very little support backing it up.

BumbleChump

Aug 19, 2018
The moment they say "streaming games" or "digital only" I'm out. In my mind, it's either a full console or nothing of interest.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
If they can get some big devs on this (and I mean BIG) this could be a huge deal. This can't just be indy games though. You need top tier, EXCLUSIVE stuff from all major devs. As well as some sort of physical media option.

Oct 27, 2017
So... say Google becomes a legitimate contender:

1. Can the market support more than 3 mass market console manufacturers?

2. Who has the most to fear from them?

This seems a bit backwards. They'll only be considered a legit competitor once they gain some market traction, so I think it'll be inconclusive until then.

And I'd probably say Microsoft definitely has the most to fear. Nintendo will always have their titles and be doing their own thing, which will ensure they have their section of the market (assuming they don't have another Wii U type failure), Sony has the brand recognition that seems to have done them well until now, but MS is going heavy on streaming which will likely have a lot of overlap with whatever Google does

Oct 26, 2017
What is the expectation of this? I was told that they are going for rather nice specs, but is that even true? Could it be that Google starts the next gen? Oh I was also told that Ubi and Sega will be on board?

Rumors, but still.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
That's a cool little teaser. I'll be interested to see what happens with all this. The same reaction people are having towards this is the same one they had when Sony and Microsoft threw their hat in right?

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Screenshots of each game:

maxresdefault.jpg

3, 2, 1 countdown... Rocket League?

nF3s4Q6.jpg

Dropping from a plane, some sort of BR game? COD?

8sCeYlV.png

No idea

a2FCcov.png

For Honor?

Ng4WEMM.png

Ori?

zJf6LEW.png

F1 2019?

wW7JhFJ.png

Rockband?

reMn70w.png

Elite Dangerous?
I'll replace Rocket League with like Fifa or NFL.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
If anything like most other Google products, it'll be half assed and either cancelled or very little support backing it up.

You mean Android, the world's most popular OS?

This narrative of Google only producing failed projects is kinda false: they have their stinkers but also some huge successes which in this case means nothing. If this project has a following they will support it otherwise they are fast at abandoning the whole thing.

We'll see from this keynote and potential future events how much they are willing to commit to this.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Screenshots of each game:

3, 2, 1 countdown... Rocket League?
Dropping from a plane, some sort of BR game? COD?
No idea
For Honor?
Ori?
F1 2019?
Rockband?
Elite Dangerous?
More like Generic Sport Game, Generic BR Game, Generic Exploration Game, Generic Medieval Fantasy Game, Generic Fantasy Game, Generic Racing Game, Generic Music Game, Generic Space Game.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
So... say Google becomes a legitimate contender:

1. Can the market support more than 3 mass market console manufacturers?

2. Who has the most to fear from them?

Sony, in my mind, has the most to lose.

The issue is if Google becomes a major player, Microsoft is going to go batshit crazy into Xbox. Then you have 2 of the biggest companies on the planet going head to head. If they start throwing money around Sony will not be able to keep up. This is if Google comes in guns blazing and is serious. MS for a lot of the time has treated Xbox as a side project, even though they utilized their inherent advantages very well, they never truly flexed their muscle too much as to not disrupt the market... They just naturally took the position of Sega and just did their thing.

Nintendo has their demographic locked up so they are relatively safe.

It all depends on what Google is planning and how serious they are. We have seen plenty of companies put their foot in the water and just say nahhhh.

If they are serious, this industry is going to change quick.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I have faith Google is going to stick it out as long as they need to for their efforts to become successful because gaming is far too lucrative of an industry for them not to.