• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think Google’s gaming hardware will be?

• Actual console

Votes: 147 9.9%
  • Streaming box

Votes: 792 53.5%
  • Both

Votes: 498 33.7%
  • Controller

Votes: 42 2.8%

• Total voters
Oct 28, 2017
So... say Google becomes a legitimate contender:

1. Can the market support more than 3 mass market console manufacturers?

2. Who has the most to fear from them?

Yes it can. Sony has the most to fear from them. Nintendo isn't really in direct competition and Microsoft is pushing in a wildly different direction with games as a service (which will potentially be on the Google system, I'd add). Sony, on the other hand, is taking a traditional approach which has an extremely large chance of backfiring if they misstep at all.

Kathartic

Alt-account
Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Sony is not in e3 because is getting bought by google before 19/3. Google exec present the ps5 that day.
Meltdowns everywhere.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The logo noise is every 'dreamcast' sounding. Literally the only reason it caught my interest.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
This is really happening isn't it. 4 consoles on the market it is then.
4?

Apple is getting in on this too if you haven't heard. Just not quite ready to reveal for now

Didn't Apple kinda give up on their gaming ambitions? I know they were selling controllers with the Apple TV, but nothing ever really came of it.

Have there not been big rumors of Google and Apple getting into the console space for like a few years now? Maybe I'm confused and the other one was Amazon....

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I can't imagine this being a box that plays games locally. No way would google commit to something like that when they kill off promising services/applications as fast as one of their teams can pitch a replacement for that service.

tareqsalah

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Sony, easily.

Nintendo will keep on trucking entirely on the back of their first party games and unique hardware features, and Microsoft's got one foot out of the hardware race already.
Hmm i think microsoft is the one in danger. Sony is like nintendo they have their legacy and nostalgia and exclusives. I would think google's vision is close to Microsoft's.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Future of gaming

Right

Can't wait for Google to block YouTube from other consoles just to make it happen.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
50e.png

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly if this ends up being the most powerful box on the market and i can play games natively, i might grab one

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
So... say Google becomes a legitimate contender:

1. Can the market support more than 3 mass market console manufacturers?

2. Who has the most to fear from them?
1. No idea
2. Sony I guess? They arent really at risk but at least MS has a failsafe and Nintendo is always doing its own thing.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Hmm i think microsoft is the one in danger. Sony is like nintendo they have their legacy and nostalgia and exclusives. I would think google's vision is close to Microsoft's.

No one is like Nintendo. Sony's success is 80/20 off the back of 3rd Party support. If you've got two major players supporting a different way to deliver games media, one utilizing portability and the other pretending it's still 2005 then it's easy to see who has the most to fear

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Screenshots of each game:

maxresdefault.jpg

3, 2, 1 countdown... Rocket League?

nF3s4Q6.jpg

Dropping from a plane, some sort of BR game? COD?

8sCeYlV.png

No idea

a2FCcov.png

For Honor?

Ng4WEMM.png

Ori?

zJf6LEW.png

F1 2019?

wW7JhFJ.png

Rockband?

reMn70w.png

Elite Dangerous?

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I mean, Google is probably the single company that I like the least in the whole tech landscape but hey, I'm all in for new systems that bring new games to the market, especially if I can buy them elsewhere.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Linear corridors

Actually, it looks like Fifa, Rock Band, ?Halo, Forza, Battlefield/Call of Duty, ?Elder Scrolls, ?Halo but different, Ryse

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Chromecast:GAME, feat STREAM.

20 dollars a month with a...uplay-esque library.

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
Just seems odd to release a console right now with next gen right around the corner. If this comes out and it is on par with current gen it is going to have its energy sucked out the minute Sony or Microsoft unveil their next consoles.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Join us for generic environments"

Doesn't seem like a teaser that's about to launch a games service at all aha.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Around 16 seconds in at the mushroom forest, that sound effect sounds just like the sound the koroks make in botw and windwaker. Anyone know the origin of it? Is it a royalty free thing?

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Guesses based on teaser trailer, assuming those are all subtle game teases for their device:
  • FIFA
  • Rockband
  • Need For Speed or F1 2019
  • Call of Duty Black Ops 4
  • Elite Dangerous
  • ??? (unsure about fantasy game)

I think these are just vague video game settings to demonstrate potential graphics (that prolly won't happen) but if anything, the last game is Skyrim.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Just seems odd to release a console right now with next gen right around the corner. If this comes out and it is on par with current gen it is going to have its energy sucked out the minute Sony or Microsoft unveil their next consoles.

But what if it comes out and it's on par with current gen...but then as next gen games come out it's on par with them too because it's just streaming games.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exciting stuff! I'll be really curious to see how this pans out. I'm willing to bet this is basically an Android TV set top box that also streams games. The really interesting part will be seeing who they partner with in terms of third party, and whether or not they'll have any exclusive titles.

I'd also be amazed if the service doesn't come to Android phones (hitting Pixel devices first).