• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah I think this will be huge for that crowd of people who like gaming but don't have as much time to play or don't want to invest $500 + inevitable $50+ for a new second controller just to play the newest big league AAA title.

If you have decent enough internet you can just click on a link and be up and playing it in a few seconds.
It sounds a bit too good to be true, but hopefully, it also puts pressure on Xbox Live/PS Plus services.

Game Pass is already becoming a big deal for Microsoft and I would be interested in Game Pass if it were cheaper and combined with Xbox Live, because I barely purchase new games honestly. All digital is fine with me, as well

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think this will be huge for that crowd of people who like gaming but don't have as much time to play or don't want to invest $500 + inevitable $50+ for a new second controller just to play the newest big league AAA title.

If you have decent enough internet you can just click on a link and be up and playing it in a few seconds.

Agreed -- I'm definitely interested. I don't have the time or money to drop a lot of money on a gaming PC, but there's a handful of games that I want to play with my friends who play on PC once in a while. Right now, it's Apex Legends. I have an Xbox/PS4 and my friends play on that, but some of them also play on PC... I don't want to drop ~$1000 on a new gaming capable PC especially if that game ends up being a flash in the pan, but I'd love it if I could jump into a game with them even if my experiences isn't quite as good as theirs.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
don't they have to develop the game for the service? I was under the impression they can't just port it immediately, it would cost money. and it took capcom this long to bring resident evil 4 to switch.

I don't think streaming out would be as data intensive as interacting with the stream.

It's far, far easier to put any game on this service, it's basically just a PC really on the server side, and there's tons of flexibility hardware wise because you're not even confined to a specific spec. You can have it run off multiple GPUs if there's any headache getting it to run off one for instance.

They're going to get tons of support IMO.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's far, far easier to put any game on this service, it's basically just a PC really on the server side, and there's tons of flexibility hardware wise because you're not even confined to a specific spec. You can have it run off multiple GPUs if there's any headache getting it to run off one for instance.

They're going to get tons of support IMO.
thank you

Agreed -- I'm definitely interested. I don't have the time or money to drop a lot of money on a gaming PC, but there's a handful of games that I want to play with my friends who play on PC once in a while. Right now, it's Apex Legends. I have an Xbox/PS4 and my friends play on that, but some of them also play on PC... I don't want to drop ~$1000 on a new gaming capable PC especially if that game ends up being a flash in the pan, but I'd love it if I could jump into a game with them even if my experiences isn't quite as good as theirs.
why would you spend $1000 on a pc in the first place if you didn't care about having the best performance

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe not the best idea using Assassin's Creed as your pick for a "completely responsive experience"

y'all acting like Assassin's Creed should respond seemlessly when it has a hard time responding hard wired into your hardware...

I can't wait to see Doom Eternal though. If that works smoothly, then I am sold.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
yup. which makes the "its not E3, it's GDC" posts even more baffling
JFC, this is the first public unveiling of the service. It's just the start of the conversation. The keynote already mentioned multiple sessions at this GDC that will go into more detail and let people check out demos firsthand.

And there's obviously already been plenty of back-channel communication between Google and partners where I'm sure they are actively discussing pricing, launch timing, etc. They could certainly have packed the keynote with more info, but you will clearly not have much longer to wait, not if they're launching before end of year.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This keynote was, for the most part, the antithesis of "show, don't tell".

There's really wasn't much effort to show any extensive demonstrations; or even acknowledgement of the potential barriers preventing this thing from functioning in realtime practical applications. And that's especially so in regards to the lack of games on display. I think there were more tech demos, rather than actual videogame projects shown. It's very telling telling that they don't even have a quarterly/seasonal release window, and that their internal studio doesn't have any WIP games to show. And bringing in the Game Theory person was when the keynote jumped the shark, especially he was just there to preach to the choir about the potential things you could do, rather than any personal experiences with the service itself. They could had paid almost anybody else to come up on stage and say what he did.

I think it's good that they actually have an internal first-party studio to make games for the service, the controller design is thankfully solid and not that ugly patent mockup that's been passed around (bonus points to the Konami code imprint on the bottom), and the AC Odyssey playthrough across various hardware was admittedly a bit impressive. All the positives end there though.

Maybe the on-floor demonstrations and later events for the platform will tell a different story, but I'm still pretty doubtful of the reach they are selling for this service, especially in regards to penetrating the worldwide market.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
JFC, this is the first public unveiling of the service. It's just the start of the conversation. The keynote already mentioned multiple sessions at this GDC that will go into more detail and let people check out demos firsthand.

And there's obviously already been plenty of back-channel communication between Google and partners where I'm sure they are actively discussing pricing, launch timing, etc. They could certainly have packed the keynote with more info, but you will clearly not have much longer to wait, not if they're launching before end of year.
then what was the point? it was an hour long and they spent time on stuff like a retrospective of the history of games in human history.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Lol at people trying to blame that clear input lag and failure to register on Asscreed. He pressed the damn button 3 times before the character jumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.