• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all really deep dive analysing Greg's tweet?

It came off as a joke. A play on the old "Sega does what Nintendon't. Like, that's it. There's probably nothing more at all to it. Damn.

As for Stadia: Looking forward to it. The Project Stream test was very promising.

And to those saying "why should anyone care about this?" It's simple: It's something you can access on devices you literally already own right now. They theoretically have an install base in the tens or hundreds of millions already. It's can be very disruptive to other platforms, especially for more casual players. Obviously all you uber-hardcore gamers here probably won't care.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry but I do not get this one with streaming.

What if I have a shit notebook, mediocre smartphone and TV.

Can't I stream the games or how should it possible to let me play them without any backdraws.

Not even talking about the shitty internet connection
your device just needs to be strong enough to render the video stream

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
People are a bunch of negative whiners here.

Yes, it's a streaming service (we all anticipated this). Which means your internet will have to be kinda good. You knew that in advance, so stop whining about it. If you don't like it, don't use it. Seriously.

If Google can deliver on this 4K, 60FPS, lagless streaming, why the FUCK would you still say: "this was so boring omg where iz the gamez". Grow the fuck up. This stuff is super interesting and whether you like it or not, it's the future.
the future for like the 10 people who will be using this service next year lmao

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I never got to use OnLive, but wasn't it a hardware based product? Like didn't you need to own their actual box or something?

This is basically, "use your existing hardware", so it's like anyone that already owns a phone or computer or tablet already owns Stadia, so that's a much bigger built in audience from the get go. I don't think this is going to be an overnite success with people on Era or other gaming forums, but there is a huge market of people out there who don't own consoles or gaming PC's, who already technically "own a Stadia", and that's going to be a big incentive for publishers to get there games on there.

OnLive didn't require specia hardware to play the games. You did so through a software application, which I believe was also available on mobile devices. I also recall Gaikai allowing the streaming of game demos through a browser.

But the ability to have Stadia app right next to a YouTube app on every Android device will be a game changer.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would like this for JRPGs that I want to slowly chip away at and don't require great connection

Other than that... I dunno

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Games Developer Conference.

This isn't E3, this is for the devs to see what is available as a resource and platform.
I know, but that's one of the reasons for the negative reactions right now. It was still the platform's reveal. Thinking that there'll be a plethora of appealing games on the platform is giving them the benefit of the doubt for things they haven't shown yet, and I'm not going to do that for no reason. They talked about their internal games division, but still seemed like it was just established with nothing to show.

Then you go into all of the other things they didn't talk about which would have been good for GDC like latency, how it would accomodate lower internet speeds, or what happens when there's an internet outage. It does not inspire confidence.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Same here in Sweden with the Pixels. So "most of Europe" probably doesn't include us.

Edit: Actually, there is a Swedish Stadia page.
Nope, nothing on my side. Literally just takes me to the play store. No Google, I don't want your damn Chromecast >.>

Redirects me to this:

10c35bbf-7409-4f7f-aqukmy.jpeg

Fantastic.

Not even that on my side. Literally just their usual store page, nothing more.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Google is making a play for the whole board, I think that's quite worrying for open gaming.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Legitimately surprised by the extent to which they didn't answer any of the practical questions about input lag, revenue model, etc.

Controller looks cool tho.
They don't have to. The Odyssey beta did most of that, in that it showed that a brand new, high end AAA game was perfectly playable on a variety of devices with a variety of controllers. It's not a question if it works, and it if works well, because we have already seen that it does. The latency is comparable to a current gen console and the graphics are beyond it.

I imagine around E3 we will get a player focused presentation with those details and game anonucenments. This was for developers/creators it seemed to me.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
God I didn't even think of ads

Do we need to get used to a break in our immersive open world games when the input lag and visual artifacts are interrupted by adverts every 15mins?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This will be the future, older gamers will gripe about it, but the fact is when the newest AAA high-end graphics game is just sitting there on your browser and all you have to do is click to start playing within seconds and there's no $500 PS5 needed, no 1 hour download wait time, no driving to Best Buy to get your physical copy ... a lot of people are going to be compelled by that.

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its the future but I don't see it actually working well enough in the here and now for most people.

It will work for lots of people. As soon as the internet in more areas catches up, it will work for everyone.

The fact is just that people are willing to throw the technology under the bus already because they don't have a good internet connection. These things take time. Again, no one is forcing you to buy this or use it. But as enthusiasts and gamers, we should be excited about something like this that might bring gaming to people that can't afford $3000 gaming PC's or $500 consoles.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I'm getting same vibes I got when I saw the Ouya for the first time and a lot of people were hyped for it.

It just doesn't give you that good feeling in your gut, if you saw a neat game and it ends with, "Launching on Stadia" you aren't going to be excited you are going to be bummed maybe? It doesn't have that HIT feel. Which matters a lot.

The impact of having your game launching on PLAYSTATION 5, is much more impactful. I don't feel like they EARNED it enough to be the next game platform, they are getting a bit ahead of themselves. And you can't play the Cocky roll where you are comparing yourself to others stating, "WE ARE LIKE A PS4 AND AN XBOX COMBINED" until you have earned that respect.

This tech is the future, just not now and just not with Google.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
There's no reason to be optimistic about this.
Eh, that's completely subjective, you can't tell others what they can look forward to or be excited about. It also doesn't change the fact that Era hates and spews unnecessary vitriol at almost everything regardless of the effort put in by the people developing/working on these products.

It's laughable because this is the same forum that advocates heavily for people keeping their jobs, businesses growing, etc., but call for immediate cancellation of products, games, media, etc. as we jump into threads shitting on every product with shitty and uninformed kneejerk reactions cuz reasons?

It's like a running inside-joke at this point to me, because I'm confident the typical posters that quickly resort to hate have next to no talent to show for all the hubris they put on display.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
some people have access to good isps and bad hardware I guess?
I guess so...but we know that Microsoft is going in on this tech too, and with Shuhei being there, I imagine Sony is interested too.

Why would anyone care to buy into a completely new platform/ecosystem, with tech that isn't really all that tested?

It just seems like.........why tho.
I'm getting same vibes I got when I saw the Ouya for the first time and a lot of people were hyped for it.

It just doesn't give you that good feeling in your gut, if you saw a neat game and it ends with, "Launching on Stadia" you aren't going to be excited you are going to be bummed maybe? It doesn't have that HIT feel. Which matters a lot.

The impact of having your game launching on PLAYSTATION 5, is much more impactful. I don't feel like they EARNED it enough to be the next game platform, they are getting a bit ahead of themselves.

This tech is the future, just not now and just now with Google.
Exactly.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I like the part when they announced Stadia will even be able to inevitably run 8K in the future, about 3 people clapped and cheered in the whole place. You could hear the small coughs.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I'd like to meet these mythical "casuals for which the barrier to entry is too high" that also have internet good enough for game streaming

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have none right now, so I will make one just for Google

Agree. My main concern is the data collection. Their controller even has a microphone..

Want to bet it'll always be listening? Google has no morals about that kind of shit.

people have no class consciousness, they identify by consumer brands and google, like other major tech companies, are just freaking epic my dude and do all kinds of, like, innovating. its the future jsut get with it !!!
It's really sad how modern capitalism has brainwashed the masses into tying their self worth and self image to particular brands simple due to "if they are prestige and I align with them, then I am prestige". Its all a disgusting lie.

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Lancaster County, PA, USA

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
This conference was worse than PSX 2017 AND X018
Fuck Google, only reason I was willing to give this a chance was because of exclusive games, and they didn't show ANYTHING
When your conference starts out with "I'm not much of a gamer" you're already losing

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
There's no reason to be optimistic about this.
Eh, that's completely subjective, you can't tell others what they can look forward to or be excited about. It also doesn't change the fact that Era hates and spews unnecessary vitriol at almost everything regardless of the effort put in by the people developing/working on these products.

It's laughable because this is the same forum that advocates heavily for people keeping their jobs, businesses growing, etc., but call for immediate cancellation of products, games, media, etc. as we jump into threads shitting on every product with shitty and uninformed kneejerk reactions cuz reasons?

It's like a running inside-joke at this point to me, because I'm confident the typical posters that quickly resort to hate have next to no talent to show for all the hubris they put on display.

THAT SAID, this will be an interesting space to watch develop.

Last edited:

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"no they don't." "yes they do."

Meanwhile neither one of us is a developer. This is pointless.
when publishers like ea basically hired dozens of influencers years ago, it's not really a matter of opinion anymore.

nor is the success of games like "5 nights at freddy"

but like you say, none of us is a developer so...

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
I can't wait to play Devil May Cry 5 (which I already play at 1440p 100+ fps) at 1080p60 with compression artifacts, stream stutter and input lag!

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
This will be the future, older gamers will gripe about it, but the fact is when the newest AAA high-end graphics game is just sitting there on your browser and all you have to do is click to start playing within seconds and there's no $500 PS5 needed, no 1 hour download wait time, no driving to Best Buy to get your physical copy ... a lot of people are going to be compelled by that.
Not when you have to pay like €80 per month to even get an internet connection that is capable of delivering a console like experience. The infrastructure is just not there yet.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

oh god lol

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
what if it's free (with ads), I surely expect some games will be free

On the ads thing, which is an inevitable topic because Google gets its operating income from advertising... Google tends to not put ads on their new services. They usually stick to the classics for ads... Google Search, Gmail, Maps, YouTube, etc. They usually use new services to improve the ad delivery/targeting on their other services, but they don't use the new services to display ads. Google Photos, Google Music, Google Drive, etc., don't display ads, but they use the data from those platforms to influence ad delivery on their other services that you're already used to seeing ads on. It's an interesting model, but one that they usually get right.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
My question is: why should anyone care about this?

Publishers are gonna love it. Wider audience and therefore more marketing opportunities. Parents will probably like that there is something cheaper than dedicated hardware for their kids. I can't imagine gamers with decent setups will be moved by this thing, nor will it lead to a noticeably different set of possibilities for developers. Perhaps more limitations on game design, actually (how can you create rhythm-based game mechanics on this service?).

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
That was a pretty sick presentation. The thoughts of getting a near premium console experience without the need of additional hardware is insane. I'm excited to see how it all unfolds. Google seems all in!

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like this is where we are finally heading. Before it was just a distant idea but after this presentation it feels like we are ready to go. Google, Microsoft, Amazon, all have the tech and infrastructure to follow this path, but I'm honestly worried about Sony and Nintendo.

They just cant compete given the systemic advantages of a google or Microsoft. The potential audience of a stadia day one will dwarf all other consoles day one. As long as the quality is good enough, that is all they need.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
I don't feel like they really gave us enough information to make an honest judgment about the plan. And in some sense, That's a pretty bad sign. Their next event is really gonna have to knock my socks off for me to even be thinking about their platform.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry but I do not get this one with streaming.

What if I have a shit notebook, mediocre smartphone and TV.

Can't I stream the games or how should it possible to let me play them without any backdraws.

Not even talking about the shitty internet connection

If you can stream video on it, you can stream a game on it.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It will work for lots of people. As soon as the internet in more areas catches up, it will work for everyone.

The fact is just that people are willing to throw the technology under the bus already because they don't have a good internet connection. These things take time. Again, no one is forcing you to buy this or use it. But as enthusiasts and gamers, we should be excited about something like this that might bring gaming to people that can't afford $3000 gaming PC's or $500 consoles.
Except the data caps will hurt most people. You will spend more than $500 pretty quick.

It's not the tech we don't like. It's the fact that we have greedy fuck ISPs that even if the tech is great and works perfectly, they will sky rocket costs or lower data caps and charge more for bandwidth.

Amazing tech but it's not realistic enough right now. Especially when they haven't told us anything about data use and internet speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.