• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
meh

I've heard this before with 3D, AR and VR and none of them really took off. I guess VR is doing alright, but it's not the huge change in how we game that I was told it would be years ago. Remember motion controls? Now it's reduced to random gyro gimmicks, when it was the future of gaming at one point.

Sometimes ideas for the future are bad and never go anywhere. Just because something "feels" like it's what's going to be the norm in the future doesn't mean it will be.
This stuff makes things more convenient for casual players. That's the big difference.

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
Unlimited computing power for developers with unlimited develpment funds! It's not like AAA gaming has been on a decline lately...

Mr. Lemming

Oct 25, 2017
How do the economics of this work? If there isn't a subscription, and Google is only getting money when you buy a game, how do they support the limitless servers and all that in perpetuity?

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This stream skipping back half a second every so often is very promising for the future of Stadia.

ethanradd

Oct 30, 2017
Tbh this just makes me more excited for what hardware and features Microsoft and Sony will be bringing in the next generation

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Wow did they really decide to announce this with no exclusives ready to go? They really don't understand the gaming industry.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say everyone involved must have rehearsed the conference quite a bit and with the same speech instructor. Everyone is talking with the exact same pattern. I'm used to GDC presenters being more varied.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
all im seeing here is google trying to funnel everyone into google services/ads/youtube as a hub for gaming, but still google has that money... time for everyone with a youtube to get that sponsor money.

i have a bad feeling your going to see a lot of developers and publishers running to google to grab some of this cash and deliver a lot of underwhelming content in return.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Why get this when Sony and MS will offer Physical + Streaming Service + Exclusives and more third party support.

Because this has no initial barrier to entry. That's at least what they are banking on. Not sure if that will be enough but I wouldn't expect that to go over all that well here. We are enthusiasts who largely have no problem spending $500-100+ on gaming hardware. Google is banking that there are hundreds of millions of people not served by that market. People who watch streams, who play shit like fortnite and phone gamers are the new casual market.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
You're talking about a completely different issue from the person I quoted. If you're concerned about sharing your info with Google then don't use the service, simple as.

I think the fear of giving so much power to someone like Google is an aspect of what Giant Bomb was talking about when they expressed their concerns that aspects of this is potentially frightening, but you're right that the person you quoted focused primarily on ownership. I just think that's one aspect of not trusting Google, for me.

Geeze. Hopefully it was not to make a statement.

I haven't really seen any confirmation either way but the timing for a random Captain EO shirt felt very suspect.

I was just asking lol. Its all good

The thread is moving way too fast to read tone, I guess, but yeah, all good.

Just considering the future of gaming with slowly dawning horror.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
I like how the stream I'm watching on YouTube of this is having issues keeping up... ya unless they planning on giving everyone free google fibre, this is going to take a while to take off (like around 10 years maybe).

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Never has this image been more appropriate, on multiple levels. This thread in its entirety -

297.png
I mean they created a first party studio, borught out Jade Raymond and didn't show an actual game! Of course RestERA is going to yell at you.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
The Google Nexus Q lasted about 6 months before it was cancelled anyone want to predict the over under for Stadia?

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was my biggest fear is that they have nothing to fall back on and their business plan is basically "if you build it, they will come"

At least Microsoft can be like "here's a bunch of xbox stuff, go nuts"

Status
Not open for further replies.