• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they updated the stream with this

ZMzLDva.png

EA on board, PGA Tour, Madden, FIFA, NBA and Jason

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
Whatever people may think, this has been an excellent way to launch a new product. I love Google's humour when it comes to stuff like this, all the little nods etc.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Made it just in time. Here's hoping everyone gets what they want!

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Yeah, I guess I was thinking they might throw a lot of money behind it short term to get enough content on there to be compelling without a per-title-payment option, and let it snowball to a point where it can attract content on its own without subsidy. I didn't think it would necessarily have to have 'all the games', or that it would necessarily compete with the other platforms to have all multiplat games, but to have just enough to be an interesting offering.

But even if the service isn't purely an all-in-one sub, I would expect there should be that aspect to it. I presume there's going to be some kind of fee to access the service aside from per-title payments*, and for that, I guess there should be 'some' content included.

* I'm doubting Google will let you play a game indefinitely on the service for a one-time payment, without some kind of access sub, but I guess they might do that if they think it's sustainable. The other possibility other than an access fee is if Google tries what Sony did initially with Now, and abandoned - time-based per title rentals. That avoids the need for an additional flat access fee, but it has its own appeal problems of course. The exact business model will be interesting to watch anyway... they have an opportunity to start from scratch here, without any of the legacy headaches some others have to deal with.

I agree that the business model is by far the more interesting aspect of this Google platform reveal.

Of anything I think it will say alot about how the companies looking to push game streaming will be looking to monetize the technology.

I would argue, however, that the mere fact of them targetting console games (i.e. the big AAA console gaming industry) -- assuming they are -- means they don't have a 100% clean slate to start from, since whatever they might intend to do platform and service-wise, they will be limited by the economic constraints of the content they intend to target for the platform, as well as consumer expectations which have been informed by literal decades of console gaming industry history.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
This is exciting, right? Been awhile since something like this in games. Hope it isn't nothing.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
I am pretty excited. My expectation is a console with streaming. Kinda like Switch in a sense that you have two options - streaming only for OK quality (the equivalent of a handheld mode) and the local mode (the equivalent of docked mode). Some exclusives but nothing mindblowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.