• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Ahem, Yoda begs to differ:
giphy.gif

Sorry, Star Wars is EA exclusive. You can't stream that without opening a few packs first.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
We'll see is announced but here is what I'll take issue with and what I would consider fine.

Bad: Streaming only service, purchase $60 games with no local download or no real ownership option

Better: Streaming only service, Buy or rent games to stream with a gamepass style a la carte service.

Best: Same as better but with a local download option for games you buy

We'll see where Google goes

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
probably because your ISP is restricting / throttling your IPV4/IPV6 Compatibility
Probably because we're just not ready for a streaming future yet.

To give a bit more information on what I did test out with:

I tested in a couple of places. I tested in my home which has Fios gigabit. 4k streams, my streams to Twitch, P2P transfers, hosting my PLEX server etc. have 0 issues. My latency to most servers is more than adequate. In optimal scenarios, like Counter-Strike, my ping never peaks over 5ms. With Project Stream, there was still a noticeable amount of latency in input with it and generally speaking there were very noticeable artifact. It was like watching a decently setup Twitch stream, except you were playing it, if that makes sense.

At work, it was the same scenario. We've got a Cox business line and a Comcast one, both with basically the same speed and result while playing over Project Stream. I didn't really notice any difference over any of the three connections or devices I tested it out with, leading me to believe I was maxing out what it was capable of doing. Blown up on a 4K display, it just isn't going to scale well. On a monitor in front of my face, the compression was "acceptable". I could tell what was going on and react to what was going on, but it wasn't pretty. I feel far more people are going to prefer local hardware for this reason alone.

For me, my biggest issue was latency despite Google saying my connection was "great" or whatever. I'm very sensitive to this kind of thing, so it may have a larger impact on me as it will on other people, but I just don't think this is ready for the masses and don't think it will be for many, many more years. It is certainly an improvement on PSNow and ESPECIALLY OnLive, but when people are demanding high fidelity graphics to meet the specifications of their, now relatively common high resolution displays, it just isn't going to stack up to local hardware.

Another thing to note, which unfortunately was unable to test but feel like it'll be an even bigger issue is playing a multiplayer title. These games are bigger than they ever have been before, but add the server latency in the game you're playing + the lag of other players + the delay going to the device that you're playing on and that's gonna suck pretty hard. That's going to automatically eliminate quite a few people from the big picture Google might have seeing as live titles like Destiny, The Division, large scale multilayer games like PUBG, Fortnite, Apex Legends and fast paced FPS titles like Call of Duty and Battlefield are so huge now.

Optimally, we get two sets of hardware out of this. We get a Google home console and we get a streaming device, but I feel like it'll just be the streaming device.

Possumowner

Oct 27, 2017
Uk
How are we so close yet nobody has a clue or leaked pics of anything...Sony/MS/Nintendo need to hire Google's plumbers.....unless there's literally nothing physical to show......just a wandering cloud

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Yeah, I'm not staying up til 4am tonight. Hope there's some cool games shown, but I'd be very hesitant to give Google access to yet another part of my life.

Feb 10, 2018
They never mention the Switch or Nintendo's brand. It's a big difference from displaying the actual console.

How are they shitting on it? They're displaying the console as a highlight of gaming history. They are comfortable showing it, though, because SEGA is exactly that: a partner, not a competitor.

They mention switch in the 2017 part on the floor of the platform.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be curious of the bandwidth usage of streaming an entire game vs. downloading the whole thing. I would assume for longer games like RPGs it may make absolutely no sense to do so. Perhaps Google will be smart enough to stream until the game is fully downloaded and then seamlessly switch over. Now that I would make me a fan.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not interested in streaming, not interested in 99% of F2P MP games and not interested in mobile gaming.

No idea if there will be anything here for me but I'm still interested to see what our privacy eroding spying monopoly overlord delivers.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look, I know it's not happening, but if the Google console/platform/whatever really did launch with PSO2's western release.... i'd be there day 0. I will gobble up whatever bullshit I need to in order to play a western version of PSO2.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
The Dreamcast was such a failure that Sega had to drop out of the console market and ET was such a failure that it almost killed the entire video game industry in North America.
This feels like a bit of revisionist history. The Dreamcast by itself didn't fail, Sega's repeated failures in the US market and the oncoming collapse of the arcade business put the Dreamcast in a position where impossible expectations were placed upon it.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I imagine the big take away from this "console" will be its network connectivity. 10gb Ethernet? LTE? 5G capability/expandibility? What we know it won't be is a dedicated console with customized hard like current consoles are.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
If this ends up primarily being a streaming service, when do you guys think it'll launch? They've already tested it once with Odyssey. Do you think they'll need to do more public tests before it launches, or do you think it might be available very soon?

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
I'm actually really excited about this and the future of gaming! This thread reminds me of the wild speculation from a Direct thread lol.

There will be several meltdowns later when everyone's favourite game series is exclusively available on Google's new service/console...

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
If this ends up primarily being a streaming service, when do you guys think it'll launch? They've already tested it once with Odyssey. Do you think they'll need to do more public tests before it launches, or do you think it might be available very soon?

Well, MS announced rhe Xbox a year before its release. Seems with no hardware and only streaming plus beta testing games, probably won't be out until the Fall 2019, unless they feel extremely confident to release soon.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
This feels like a bit of revisionist history. The Dreamcast by itself didn't fail, Sega's repeated failures in the US market and the oncoming collapse of the arcade business put the Dreamcast in a position where impossible expectations were placed upon it.
Ironic that the Dreamcast was actually doing well in the west and poorly in Japan. Opposite of Saturn.

Rojiraan

Oct 30, 2017
Paris, France
That's going to automatically eliminate quite a few people from the big picture Google might have seeing as live titles like Destiny, The Division, large scale multilayer games like PUBG, Fortnite, Apex Legends and fast paced FPS titles like Call of Duty and Battlefield are so huge now.

Exactly what I was thinking some posts above. And thanks for the Project Stream feedback.
Damn this is getting really interesting, maybe more than a "before E3 stream". I still have a bit of doubt about the "all streaming" thing.
Or the "Dreamcast/Powerglove/E.T/Coming Next" display simply means streaming and that's all. ARRRHHHGGG.

MirageDwarf

Oct 28, 2017
Even though I use Google services in limited way, personally I don't expect anything good coming out of this event that is gamer friendly. Like Facebook, whatever Google does, free or not, their main goal is to find new ways/devices for data mining to sell more ads. It will advance streaming/networking tech by lot but not without all of us paying in some other terms.

I'm still type of gamer who prefers offline, single player games so all these new talk of the the town super hit games do nothing for me. Sooner or later whole world will have bandwidth caps because that is the easiest way for ISPs to make more money. I am not a fan of streaming only future at all.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Exactly what I was thinking some posts above. And thanks for the Project Stream feedback.
Damn this is getting really interesting, maybe more than a "before E3 stream". I still have a bit of doubt about the "all streaming" thing.
Or the "Dreamcast/Powerglove/E.T/Coming Next" display simply means streaming and that's all. ARRRHHHGGG.
I'm failing to see who the target market for it is. It certainly works and I'm sure people had a much better time with it in regards to how sensitive to latency they are, but I was the perfect candidate for a service like this, I think. But if you've used a console before or a decent gaming PC, using Project Stream is going to feel like a step back in almost every department.

Edit: Thinking about it a little more, maybe this means that it's not a streaming box..? Like, surely someone at Google would raise the concern of multiplayer titles not working well on the service or at least test it and look for feedback and ways to improve before trying to sell it to the gaming market, right? Bah, I've just got a bad feeling about this.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
The more I think about it, the more I am happy with a streaming box. I have found I play more games with the subscription model of Origin Access and Gamepass because I have access to hundreds of games I'd have never previously considered.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll be watching this. This might honestly be the biggest new entry to gaming since Microsoft and the Xbox. I know we can all imagine yet another lousy set top box that goes nowhere (Ouya syndrome), but if anyone can get out of that rut, it's Google.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The more I think about it, the more I am happy with a streaming box. I have found I play more games with the subscription model of Origin Access and Gamepass because I have access to hundreds of games I'd have never previously considered.
I love game pass myself, but that still downloads games to my Xbox. I prefer that over streaming

Feb 10, 2018
Googles gaming endeavours have seem like some cool student projects.

I mean in the VR space Googles daydream is barley talked about.

The thing about Google is that everything they do benifits Google and is built around Googles goals.
Gaming is different, gamers will be able to tell very quickly if the majority of the things a company is doing is best for gaming.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
Why anyone would buy into any ecosystem run by Google with their track record of abandoning things willy-nilly is beyond me.
Because they're no more "willy-nilly" about it than every other company's abandoned products and cancellations. Just like any other company, they tend to do it when there is low or waining interest. It's not that hard to figure out.

I miss Google Reader too, man.

Martylepiaf

Oct 25, 2017
France
Googles gaming endeavours have seem like some cool student projects.

I mean in the VR space Googles daydream is barley talked about.

The thing about Google is that everything they do benifits Google and is built around Googles goals.
Gaming is different, gamers will be able to tell very quickly if the majority of the things a company is doing is best for gaming.

VR doesn't equal gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.