• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A streaming console? Nah, not for me. But streaming or downloading + maybe streaming while downloading for bigger internet capabilities would be cool.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Here's my prediction:

- Google Stream

- The focus of course will be the streaming service.

- 5,99 euro/usd a month (1 month free trial), catalogue of 100 titles at launch (that will expand every month) including AAA titles from EA, Ubisoft, Bandai Namco, SEGA and few exclusives.

- Google first party titles will be:
1) reboot of Ultima Online in full 3D
2) a party game similar to Nintendo Land with a bunch of minigames, and a battle royale mode.
3) New exclusive racing game from SEGA

- We will see a bunch of trailers and teasers of multiplatform AAA games that are also coming to Google Stream.

- You can play from your Chrome browser on PC, on selected high-end Smart TVs at launch, in the future phones and tablets as well.

- there will be a box (Google Streambox) with a controller designed for those who want to play these games in the living room and don't have an high-end Smart TV. It will cost less than $100 bundled with the party game. SEGA helped with the development of this console

- The OS is based on Android TV, it will integrate the Google Suite (Youtube, Google Assistant,...), text based chat.

- coming very soon, before E3. Launch in selected markets. (US, Europe and some asian countries)

- More news on the post launch support at Google I/O 2019, and E3.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018
Steam powered consoles? Now that's retro.
4-614x250.jpg

Deleted member 7777

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My predictions...

-Streaming box/tech , with hardware to offload some computational cost reducing latency, allowing for 4k etc. In the $99 USD range, maybe US/Canada only. Will run android natively.

-Some kind of on-live esque subscription for $10 USD a month. They'll keep the price low to try and aggresively build a big subscriber base. Streaming tech will also run in Chrome.

-Some kind of exclusive title or studio partnership, but the library will mostly be existing ps4/xbone stuff in development.

If all this comes true I'd maybe bite.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Just saw the tweet on 3 consoles and coming soon. Seriously, they could've picked the current competitors consoles saying this is something new, instead picked Sega's last entry, the Power Glove and the ET game from the Atari 2600 that caused Atari to lose credibility and cause thr 1980 gaming industry crash in the 1st place. That marketing dept needs a head shake.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Just saw the tweet on 3 consoles and coming soon. Seriously, they could've picked the current competitors consoles saying this is something new, instead picked Sega's last entry, the Power Glove and the ET game from the Atari 2600 that caused Atari to lose credibility and cause thr 1980 gaming industry crash in the 1st place. That marketing dept needs a head shake.

You don't even know the message they are sending yet.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo seems pretty active last time I checked.
They never mention the Switch or Nintendo's brand. It's a big difference from displaying the actual console.

If Sega is a strategic partner, it would be kind of stupid to shit on them on the product presentation, no?
How are they shitting on it? They're displaying the console as a highlight of gaming history. They are comfortable showing it, though, because SEGA is exactly that: a partner, not a competitor.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think what would make me most excited is Google founding their own 1st party game dev studios.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
Even though I'm not much for a streaming console I'm super curious of their plans. I'm guessing they'll have a box for the tv and controller, and then it'll be usable in chrome or some other interface on your desktop. Streaming is a cool idea I just wonder how well it can really be done. I can't imagine playing DMCV on a streaming box. Competition is a good thing though.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
No u!

I've got gigabit in the neighborhood and at home and live about an hour outside of DC and I still had a bad time with the Project Stream beta. It is functional but it's so far behind local hardware it's like taking a generational step back thanks to video compression and latency!

I experienced it at a friends place, he has 300mbit line and it worked surprisingly well. Look, I'm not oblivious that it is perfect and for some genres it is not good yet...

But having both MS and Google investing in game-streaming infrastructure will propel this far more than what Sony ever could imagine.
You have to begin somewhere and as far as my experience, google managed to do a quite good first shot at this (if the beta is to be expected)

obviously my experience here..

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
This comes off as incredibly pretentious marketing and risks becoming an obvious meme if Google's venture fails or even has a poor response after the unveiling.

Yes it sounds like "we're ready to make niche products" or "we're not afraid of failure", it's funny but also weird

You would want to put your thing alongside the best revolutionary products like the NES, PS1, DS,... not the worst ones. lol

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure about you guys, but I don't trust my Chromecast that much for YouTube, not sure how I'd trust it for gaming.

Bojanglez

Oct 27, 2017

Who knows what their narrative for this is?

If this is a streaming focussed device, my guess is that E.T. is there to highlight the downside of physical media and the risks it entails?

Yui

Nov 6, 2017
I'm completely ready for this to be a new Sega console using Googles money, or just something crazy.
But in reality it will just be something something streaming.

maloney

Oct 28, 2017
I find the text interesting (beneath the display cabinets) it kind of juxtaposes what is being displayed.

I mean, the displayed items can all be deemed to be failures (Dreamcast excused obvs!)
Whereas the text shows the major progressions in gaming..

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
They never mention the Switch or Nintendo's brand. It's a big difference from displaying the actual console.

How are they shitting on it? They're displaying the console as a highlight of gaming history. They are comfortable showing it, though, because SEGA is exactly that: a partner, not a competitor.
They would be shitting on it if the time line is highlighting bad products.

Status
Not open for further replies.