• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Funtownarcade

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
As a developer I thought the presentation was amazing. It all comes down to if it's laggy, if bandwidth caps allow it, and if their business model is good.

FelixFFM

Nov 7, 2017
It also advertises itself as both, and they do very different, separate things. The subscription through prime doesn't give you access to much like a Netflix subscription does. While the rest of the video library, the "store" aspect, is only available for rent or buy on an individual basis. None of this is contrary to what I said or what google said.
I'm just saying that the fact that they announced a stadia store doesn't let you predict their business model or monetization with any certainty. It could be a platform like steam or a subscription model, or both. They haven't clarified it.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The controller doesn't need to connect to a display? Someone mentioned that they believed the controller was also streaming hardware. If in fact it is, it needs to connect to a display.

I assume it will require a Chromecast for TV streaming. PC/tablet/phone streaming will likely require the Chrome browser or a dedicated app.

Prevolition

Oct 27, 2017
Streaming is to owning a console/games as apartment renting is to homeowning. It's convenient if you have a decent landlord (Google + Comcast...?) but you end up not building equity and wasting money.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
25 megabit, not megabyte. Which is extremely slow and somewhat difficult to believe.

What? A Netflix 4K stream is about 8mbps. Double or even triple that up for the additional information needed for a game at 60fps and it's doable depending on the compression.

Streaming is to owning a console/games as apartment renting is to homeowning. It's convenient if you have a decent landlord (Google + Comcast...?) but you end up not building equity and wasting money.

This is closer to leasing/purchasing a new car or smartphone. There is no equity gained from buying games and consoles that are routinely sold for less than what you originally bought it at.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
The controller doesn't need to connect to a display? Someone mentioned that they believed the controller was also streaming hardware. If in fact it is, it needs to connect to a display.
It connects directly to your router and the datacenter, so whatever device you are using (laptop, Chromecast,etc..) does not have to

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
These Stadia threads have been fun to read at work today. So many people bitter and confused over a GDC announcement to developers. I for one am interested in where the tech goes, should be a fun year and into next.

Not sure where all the doom and gloom comes from. Not like anyone is being forced to do anything here lol.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017

25mbs for 1080p/60fps?

I mean. I'm hopeful that that is the case, but even with 100mb connection over Ethernet it still dropped in quality pretty often and the lag was noticable for me.

Still optimistic that this will work smoothly. I swear the potential for it to be exactly what I want, just needs a bit more polish.

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
The wifi controller is actually made like that to reduce the latency since it connects directly to the game instance on the server instead of indirectly through a third device.
That part is actually very smart on their part. They reduce latency by having a direct connection from the controller to the modem/router, instead of having to go through the device that is displaying the image.
Interesting, hopefully it provides the benefit as intended.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how this all fares once it's in the hands of consumers.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
But all you have to do is look at movies and music and see that even with massive digitization and streaming only being the main form of use for most people there still is a market for physical items and they continue to keep doing physical releases. I can stream from Netflix and still buy digital downloads. In the end of the day its a silly fear.

Yes, let's look at the digitization and realize that it shows how what's released in physical form is now a lot more selective than it used to be. It's a perfect example showing the concern of moving to that method of distribution.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I don't care for streaming future and this hasn't change my mind. If I ever use Stadia, it will only be as a secondary option at best.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Whats all this repeating of a "thousand player battle royale", Planetside 2 exist you bitches

......Also a good example of how terrible a 1000 player BR would be lol

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What? A Netflix 4K stream is about 8mbps. Double or even triple that up for the additional information needed for a game at 60fps and it's doable depending on the compression.

You may be misunderstanding the difference between megabit and megabyte. 8 megabits per second translates to 1 megabyte per second. It is not possible to stream 4K content on a 1 megabyte per second internet connection - it just isnt.

25 megabits translates to just over 3 megabytes per second, which is also absurdly low.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Technically she doesn't even have a studio yet, it almost looks like she joined Google only few days ago when she tweeted.
And that's just crazy to me. They want to launch the platform this year, but are getting this late a start in building out their first-party game development? Do they really expect people to buy in to play Assassin's Creed: Odyssey like this is some sort of steal?

To be honest I was expecting a lot more of a showing today. I figured they were secretly working on something behind closed doors that would blow us away. It turns out it's all too early for that just yet.
Seriously. They had nothing to show or demonstrate regarding their own game development.

MikeE21286

Oct 27, 2017
This all comes down to how it performs and feels. Could be a game changer.

It seems like Google is putting a lot behind this which is good. They're a huge company and could get this right.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
You may be misunderstanding the difference between megabit and megabyte. 8 megabits per second translates to 1 megabyte per second. It is not possible to stream 4K content on a 1 megabyte per second internet connection - it just isnt.

25 megabits translates to just over 3 megabytes per second, which is also absurdly low.

No shit?

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't. And it doesn't need to, the display is just showing the streamed game, the input from controller is sent to the data center where the game actually runs.
I understand how the controller works regarding input. Where is the game displayed? If the game pad send the inputs, then why would it even be necessary to have the web based interface for example if that would be doing the exact same thing.
For example using an Xbone One controller on a PC, the web based app would send all the Xbox controller inputs to the servers. Why would we need then for the Stadia controller to be directly sending the inputs if this is what the app itself does?

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but it would be really interesting to see the comparisons. I'm sure Digital Foundry has us covered on that. There are a bunch of comparisons I would like to see with the games that run at 120fps on Geforce Now. This is also dependent on how close you are to the server. Google also announced that 120fps will be possible on their service, so that's also good.
I agree and am also looking fw to DF breaking things down game by game. I'd like to see a core test though not linked to a certain title.

More likely future face offs will be Stadia vs xCloud and those could be really interesting. Google is leveraging the size of their network while Microsoft is leaning into new technology like hybrid processing and AI prediction to lower input lag more than simple bandwidth could. [more about that here]

Interesting times ahead.

Demileto

Apr 23, 2018
In the shirt term. They already have, or are working on, a streaming service for other platforms. It's just a matter of time before they ditch the profit sinking hardware.

Phil Spencer has been numerous times on record that he believes game streaming to be a complementary option and not a physical console replacement.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ph...ditional-consoles-anytime-soon-if-ever.80649/

And thankfully so. Internet connectivity will never be 100% guaranteed to be always available, let alone at ideal speeds; with a 3 second delay being all it takes for me to be killed in a Soulsborne game or drop from 1st to 10th in a racing one I definitely would want to have a traditional PC/console alternative waiting in my home as a failsafe.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Jesus. Without knowing the price or how the games are consumed(sub or purchase), how can anyone pass judgement.

I have zero interest until I learn those things.
Everyone is going to tell you this conference was for the game developers and you, as a consumer, shouldn't even have watched this. But I won't tell you that. I'm going to tell you that Google put on this world wide press conference for EVERYONE to see in order to gain hype and excitement for their service. However they absolutely failed to deliver answers to many questions today, and because of this I walked away very disappointed.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I understand how the controller works regarding input. Where is the game displayed? If the game pad send the inputs, then why would it even be necessary to have the web based interface for example if that would be doing the exact same thing.
For example using an Xbone One controller on a PC, the web based app would send all the Xbox controller inputs to the servers. Why would we need then for the Stadia controller to be directly sending the inputs if this is what the app itself does?

That's a bad analogy. When you use an Xbone controller on a PC the game runs on that PC and the controller needs to send the inputs to the game, so it sends the data to the PC.

For Stadia the game runs on the server and their controller sends the input directly to the server while on the device with the screen it's just a video streaming app practically, like Netflix kind of, which shows the data sent by the server. So you have two separate data transfers and reduced latency compared to the situation in which the app on the device that has the screen would need to process the inputs from the controller and send them to the server.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
What will require more ram, using chrome to stream the games or just running the game itself on your own hardware?

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I mean. I'm hopeful that that is the case, but even with 100mb connection over Ethernet it still dropped in quality pretty often and the lag was noticable for me.

Still optimistic that this will work smoothly. I swear the potential for it to be exactly what I want, just needs a bit more polish.

I too had a 100mbps connection when I tried the beta and it crashed twice on me. And I should note I didn't put any more than 5 hours into it. Smooth as silk when it wasn't crashing though

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phil Spencer has been numerous times on record that he believes game streaming to be a complementary option and not a physical console replacement.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ph...ditional-consoles-anytime-soon-if-ever.80649/

And thankfully so. Internet connectivity will never be 100% guaranteed to be always available, let alone at ideal speeds; with a 3 second delay being all it takes for me to be killed in a Soulsborne game or drop from 1st to 10th in a racing one I definitely would want to have a traditional PC/console alternative waiting in my home a failsafe.
I understand what he said. 5G could possibly easily fix that in the future, won't believe the 5G stuffs until it's widespread and tested by 10s of millions, but 5G looks like it could solve latency and connectivity issues from what I've heard.

Spencer might not be around when the next console or streaming decision is to be made. And again, MS will do what's best for their bottom line. Of course, fans refusing to buy in can play a role in that decision. Also again, why I said may, not a definitive they will.

Demileto

Apr 23, 2018
Question: did Google at least announce a panel during E3 where they'd talk more about games on the platform? I missed the last few minutes of streaming, right after they announced Stadia Games and Entertainment. That's a glaring omission if they didn't.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
In the shirt term. They already have, or are working on, a streaming service for other platforms. It's just a matter of time before they ditch the profit sinking hardware.

We don't know if it's going to catch on and we don't know if the business end of it is actually going to work out in the favor of the console manufacturers. Look at Sony with PSNow, who has basically backtracked on it (removed options, added download to encouraeg people to not stream when they have a PS4 for PS4 games, etc.) Sony has also never mentioned anything relating to the profitability of PSNow.

Obviously MS and Google think it will be big, but that's not some guarantee it will be. All kinds of companies bet big on tech that never actually becomes a standard; that includes Google and Microsoft.