• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I realise they highlighted the potential of SLI but realistically it's going to be a good while before they actually let games use 32TF and it'll likely be on the back of a premium subscription model. Otherwise that simply wouldn't be cost viable for them early on, with a single user occupying 3 instances at a time.

Yeah, I agree that it's not going to happen early on, and when it does, it'll probably be on the back of a premium subscription model. I'm thinking 2021-2022+ once next gen is fully kicked in and AAA developers want to make something more ambitious than what a fixed next gen console can produce. It would be really interesting for RPGs where latency won't be as much of an issue.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
-Phil Harrison said "this is real" right before a demo that looked faked to me. The demonstrator was going device to device while apparently picking up where he left off, but as he moved to the new device the old one kept running for a few seconds but didn't match his inputs in the new screen. If it were video streaming, shouldn't they be showing the same thing? Me thinks he was moving to set points that were already queued up on the new device.
When you switch devices, the other device gets stopped. This is immediate when a new device connects. The server stops sending data to the previous device. Do you really think they're gonna balloon bandwidth and resource usage by trying to stream the same game, the same instance, to infinite devices at the same time? That makes no sense. And you can clearly see when he switches devices, the previous one gets stopped
unknown.png

Virtu Al

Oct 25, 2017
Italy, Rome

I don't know what's the general opinion on Rainway over here, but I feel like their CEO spotted the main problems with what Google is doing. Especially one of the last posts:

game streaming can exist. But it needs to be an extension for your library. Not a replacement like Google wants it to be. And I couldn't agree more.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
One thing that will be pretty cool for devs/pubs, is:

An advert plays on YouTube for some 3rd party game like doom, or Battlefield and at the end of the video it says "play it now" with a little stadia "play now" link popping up, you click the link and it loads you into some section that the video advert was showing for a set length of time or restricted to a certain level.
Or a future games conference you're watching and they have a big long cut scene reveal for an Uncharted clone and at the end you can pick up your controller and play it when the trailer segues into gameplay.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't seem really exciting or interesting at this point. But it is interesting to see Google step up to the plate. And especially a stream online device could be very interesting. So I'm curious!

Though I won't be able to use it regardless. My internet is so incredibly bad that I use my phone as a hotspot to game on.

BeforeU

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I see this as a failed project just like most of Google projects and I actually believe in game streaming future but their approach is weird and seeing Google's history of abandoning projects, I dont have a good feeling about this.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This product is not for me. Or most countries.
I can't stop reading it as Stevia though.

Remember when stevia was the future, and it was in everything? what happened to that?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Or a future games conference you're watching and they have a big long cut scene reveal for an Uncharted clone and at the end you can pick up your controller and play it when the trailer segues into gameplay.
That's possibly the coolest idea since they can show off and say available now to subscribers.

golem

Oct 25, 2017

Those are way better numbers than the ones DF posted.

Depends what those numbers are measuring. Time to input acknowledgement from the server? Time to rendering of resulting frame? Time to display the resulting frame from the input on the client side? Camera test measures the whole round trip.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I find it baffling we don't have any concrete info on its business model. Like, it's one of the most important aspects of any service and we don't know shit about it.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
There's no box, it's just a website / app like Netflix.
It's all server side and its only the browser that connects, so there is not real way to interact with the game apart from controller inputs.
Just got out of work, sorry didn't catch that. Weird.

Not to shit on Google but I'm sure ms and Sony gonna do this eventually (where is a bigger focus with current games) So we will see how this goes.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
We already know more than we get initially.

We absolutely do not.

its a gaming streaming platform. games will be streamed through data banks to multiple devices. what do you mean you dont know what it is. We know how we will primarily access games

Reread the part of my post about Steam and PS Now. Both are digital gaming platforms that are also completely different things and are in no way comparable. We don't have an answer to the most fundamental question of what Stadia actually is.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
This may have been brought up somewhere in the previous 49 pages but do we have any idea what the data usage is actually going to look like yet? I know people have very real concerns about data caps but do we know anything from Project Stream or anywhere else on how much actual data (and yes it will probably vary by game) streaming a game would actually use?

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Google is one company on the planet that has the reach (utilising chrome, Chromecast etc that heavily embedded into most people's lives), the infrastructure, the huge financial resources and finally the talent to develop a excellent game streaming platform.

Microsoft can and will do it via Xbox app in W10 and Xbox hardware probably. But is that really as big a reach than chrome etc?..

I'm excited for the technology but worry it's taking my hobby to be further reilant on things and corporate entities which are beyond my control.

That lack of control, choice and wall garden approach along with things being tied to specific hardware is the reason I game on PC rather that console...

At least if I have some hardware via emulation and having the software I can play.. or DRM free via gog etc.

On console if you have the hardware and physical media then again you can usually get by.

If you don't have the software or the hardware... You got nothing... What's to stop games just disappearing like we see on other streaming platforms like netflix, Spotify etc

I don't think it mean the end of consoles / pc gaming as know it.. it's just another option another platform...

You want better than absolute high end PC graphics with 8k 120fps plus ultra ray tracing for the low cost of zero?... Vs 2000+... Just give us £20 a month or whatever...

That's a pretty good product and will attract a lot of people... Can see them up selling to have premium instances for all the bells and whistles later etc.

If they can moneyhat enough games on to it and sell the benefits I can see the big 3 + pc become the big 4 + pc.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, but I've watched the video. "Locally" as streamed over the local network. Those numbers are too high to not be streamed.

It has already been confirmed multiple times that this is not the case. There has been in-depth discussion about the lag on the DF thread. AC on Xbox One X is notoriously laggy, and only runs at 30fps. However, the lag on the Stadia version should reduce compared to the X when the 60fps version is released.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
We absolutely do not.

Reread the part of my post about Steam and PS Now. Both are digital gaming platforms that are also completely different things and are in no way comparable. We don't have an answer to the most fundamental question of what Stadia actually is.

Stadia is streaming like PS Now and not like Steam at all. I don't understand how you could possible be confused about that.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds appealing, i will definitely buy one of those controller to try the service.

I have always think the future has no console box too, but in the case where you purchase and download the game into some internal memory of your controller and have it stream directly to the tv

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
Idea seems interesting, but I'm not sure if it's for me. I could feel the paranoia of waiting for google to shut down the services, and me losing rights to my games. Game preservation and history isn't something that seems to be possible with this setup.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Im intrigued by this. Will probably try it, but i really dont see myself doing much more than trying it out.

Im super picky and am used to the performance, latency and visuals of a gaming pc. Cant even stand to play on consoles if i can help it. So i doubt this is for me.... but it might very well be for a LOT of people out there.

Well, I dont know about you guys but I'm looking forward to all switch style drive by posts after this thing launches.

This game would be awesome on Stadia.

When will the Stadia version come out?

No stadia version no buy.

If it releases on Stadia i will tripple dip.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
So let me get this straight. This platform is:

- targeted to gamers who want to play games like AC Odyssey, who somehow don't already have a console or gaming PC to play it on

- launched as a brand new platform, but has no exclusive games

- touted as an inexpensive alternative to console or gaming PC ownership, but requires an expensive top-of-the-line internet connection

- targeted to streamers and content creators, but has no Twitch integration

I can see it going really well.

Yeah, it's points 1&3 that really resonated with me. Mobile only gamers aren't necessarily into the kind of games you get on a console, and those that are will have hardware.

Even at $10 a month that's still $600 just on service costs and before paying for improved internet if you need to.

I'll try it if there's s free trial, but honestly can't see myself in this long term or it replacing my PS.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Im intrigued by this. Will probably try it, but i really dont see myself doing much more than trying it out.

Im super picky and am used to the performance, latency and visuals of a gaming pc. Cant even stand to play on consoles if i can help it. So i doubt this is for me.... but it might very well be for a LOT of people out there.

Well, I dont know about you guys but I'm looking forward to all switch style drive by posts after this thing launches.

This game would be awesome on Stadia.

When will the Stadia version come out?

No stadia version no buy.

If it releases on Stadia i will tripple dip.

oh no

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Stadia is streaming like PS Now and not like Steam at all. I don't understand how you could possible be confused about that.

What I'm saying re: the Steam/PS Now thing is this: both are considered "gaming platforms" yet both are very different. Google has not said what Stadia is other than that it's a "gaming platform". That could mean something like PS Now where you pay a monthly fee to gain access to a curated selection of streamable games or it could be like Steam (or Stream :) where it's a storefront where you buy (or rent?) individual games and then stream them to your devices. They are entirely different things, yet both are still "gaming platforms". So what is Stadia?

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Targeting a single browser is pretty heavily frowned upon in most circumstances. Depending on why it's exclusive, there might even be a blatantly anticompetitive practice involved.

That sounds ridiculous. My guess is that it might be tech related. They might need so e propriatary decoding tech that no other browser might even want to suppror or include.

kaiush

Jan 22, 2018
I'd be interested except google drops fucking everything they do that's not google.com or docs.

And I have shit internet.