• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty much the antithesis of what I want from games. From the lack of ownership to the focus on services which I would never ever use, it's cleary not for me. The tech is fascinating but this needs to remain an option and not the 'future'.
Took words straight out of my mought, I hope this doesn't have the effect I fear it will.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I saw a glimpse into a very radically different future of gaming.

One that is equally fascinating and terrifying. But considering the slow iterative evolution of the last few years, I think a shakeup was needed.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I found it interesting when they showed they are partnering with Simplygon and Havoc (amongst many others) given these are part of Microsoft. So it goes without saying that Microsoft will have been well aware of Google's plans for a long time.

Oct 26, 2017
46.JPG

*cries in data cap*

EDIT: I'm trying to verify this now, but this is likely being misinterpreted/was me getting bamboozled. Apologies, please disregard.

This is why Bronson gets laughed at and mocked. :P

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
So let me get this straight. This platform is:

- targeted to gamers who want to play games like AC Odyssey, who somehow don't already have a console or gaming PC to play it on

- launched as a brand new platform, but has no exclusive games

- billed as an inexpensive alternative to console or PC gaming ownership, but requires an expensive top-of-the-line internet connection

- targeted to streamers and content creators, but has no Twitch integration

I can see it going really well.
They announced partnerships and support with many studios and technology stacks, as well as the founding a first party studio of their own. So yes there will be exclusives eventually.

And why would they integrate with Twitch, they have their own youtube gaming streaming, which a lot of streamers do use.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except it wasn't a bad conference for developers at all, that's just your opinion and one shared by many unreasonable posters in this thread demanding and bemoaning the fact that they didn't show games and talk about games and announce games and more games. That's not GDC, that's not what people go to GDC to see. It's not game announcements, it's not a games showcase, it's a technology conference about developers for developers to showcase new technology advancements, techniques, experiences, and ideas about the development process. This one is being digested as if it was targeted for consumers and people here are latching onto that, yourself included, in extremely unreasonable manners. Again, this isn't E3. This is not the place for marketing spiels targeting end-users with prices and revenue models and all this unrelated nonsense that is not in the spirit of GDC.
It's bad for developers too. It's missing essential and critical info. I used to think there was a chance you knew what you were talking about, but then you posted the screen of this thread from Google so I think we're done here.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
So let me get this straight. This platform is:

- targeted to gamers who want to play games like AC Odyssey, who somehow don't already have a console or gaming PC to play it on

- launched as a brand new platform, but has no exclusive games

- billed as an inexpensive alternative to console or PC gaming ownership, but requires an expensive top-of-the-line internet connection

- targeted to streamers and content creators, but has no Twitch integration

I can see it going really well.
We don't know it has no exclusive games. They haven't announced the lineup yet and I assume they'll do that at a consumer rather than developer focused event.

Spock

Oct 27, 2017
Conceptually it looks like the future for the masses. It's the literal evolution and bridge of mobile gaming which is on a completely different level in regards to user base. Once the platform and tech iterate and evolve a bit, it will most likely hit a point were it parallels the traditional console in relation to user experience.

Google is just laying down the pipework and foundation now because they know that the platform and tech will hit a tipping point in the not-so-distant future.

if you remember recently Netflix claimed that its biggest competitor is fortnite. All the major media companies realize that the real battle is for the attention and time of the user regardless of the medium. Hence for Google gaming is just an evolution and expansion of the core service model, that being user engagement for as long as possible.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Something I keep thinking about, is how exactly is this service going to have cross play anyway? Are they trying to say their first party games will play nice with the other consoles? Are they saying their service will be on PSN or Xbox live? I feel like they just wanted to throw the word cross play up there without any real meaning. It's still game dependent, like for example, playing Doom through Google against someone on Windows. I can believe that, but without any games it's just empty words.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
There's no jumping around, you brought up consoles that focus on the highest image quality when I was talking about picture quality that deteriorates while you play. Two different things really, it has nothing to do with wanting the best quality available. No one streaming a game isn't going to say "Only 4k? Why cant Stadia do 8k already!" but they will complain if they are playing a game and everything looks blurry or there's glitching on the screen.

You argue convenience but that very convenience comes with a lot of issues. Imagine playing a console experience on a small phone screen with a stream that acts up every now and then when lots of people are use to large TVs to play these games. Convenience isnt going to mean much till the quality improves as well as internet speeds.

Digital is more convenient than physical, there's no argument about it and there are no compromises to your experience doing it. Game streaming is something entirely different, a form of entertainment you are controlling and interacting with.Its just not at the point where people are going to get rid of consoles for convenience, not with the trade off.

Image quality and picture quality are often interchangeable terms when dealing with streaming video. Again, we've already had a Google test demo and despite there being a lower image quality over dedicated hardware, it wasn't to the point that you're describing. You're describing an extreme that just won't be reality despite the overall image quality being worse. It's not going to be a blurry unrecognizable mess.

I never said the convenience doesn't come without issues either. In fact my whole argument has been that people will take convenience despite those issues because the convenience outweighs what some of us call deal breaking issues around here. That's been my whole argument to begin with. Convenience will trump these other issues in the end for a lot of people and the issues won't be as bad as you're trying to make them out to be.

Also to say there's no compromise to my experience by going digital just isn't true either. I can't loan or borrow a game. I can't sell a game. I can't do a lot of things by going digital and that affects my overall experience. When it comes to movies, I'm hit with worse image quality and worse audio quality on top of all the other consumer right issues that come with it. But all of those issues that make me swear off digital just aren't issues for most people and I think things like latency to a certain degree, and image quality to a certain degree won't be a big enough difference to offset the $400 hardware that is the barrier to entry and the convenience factor of a single click of a button and you're in the game instantly. The bar level is going to be lower than you expect but at the same time these won't be unplayable messes either.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
That poster in particular is repeadetly aggressively chiding people for forgetting that it was a game developers conference, even though its a bad conference for game developers as well.

As a software engineer who works in distributed computing, I thought it was a pretty good conference, and pretty close to what I was expecting... Although I'm not a game developer. I thought it was pretty similar to Apple's WWDC keynotes, some morsels for the general enthusiast audience, but mostly focused on a roadmap for tech rollout.

Although like you, for the tech demos of like co-streaming, I didn't want to see Google's tech demo, I wanted to see how that technology could be implemented in a real game. They did that in a few areas, like showing how viewers of a game stream could jump into a game o f NBA 2K with the streamer, but not the examples that were most interesting to me.

As a game developer, why'd you think it's bad?

FPS murderer

Oct 27, 2017
SLC, UT
Maybe good, but you're at the mercy of your ISP. And ISPs in the USA...lol.

Comcast has a 1TB data cap. They charge extra for each additional 10gigs. Even on their gigabit tier which I had. I was hitting it every month.

With 4k movie streaming being the norm now, plus this gaming service -which how many Mb per second it may use, we don't know- have fun overpaying your Isp.

Unfortunately the gaming service maybe nice, but USA's ISP's are not up to task, be it speed and pricing wise. I was lucky enough my city has a gigabit fiber initiative with no data caps and lower pricing, and I ditched Comcast, but not everyone is that lucky.... Just saying.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sony launched their game streaming service in 2014.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Now
Could be more too, I'd think live video encoding would not be as efficient as a set video file encode. if people stream video at 4k60 on twitch what numbers are they uploading at?

it baffles me how many people (press included) just forget that Sony's been doing this for half a decade now and they weren't even the first people to do it.
We didn't forget but 1st impressions matter and it was never treated as anything more but a side thing that wasent revealed with confidence unlike stadia. Its Why people look to the Wii for motion controls and not the games seen in arcades

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ownership, inability to play games when the internet is down, putting more power in the hands of greedy ISPs.
No one but enthusiasts care about ownership. Physical media was a always means to an end to access your content to the majority (like 99%) of people. What matters more is if the thing works (eh?) and pricing (who even knows at this point). But also keep in mind the US isn't the center of the world. Our ISPs suck and we should fight to make the internet better but even in Eastern Europe, that's not an issue. Honestly I think streaming will make games more accessible than ever and probably change the way games are made. I mean imagine the skeptism around Netflix but not only has Netflix made watching movies and TV easier but we wouldn't have gotten stuff like Bojack Horseman, Stranger Things, or that Castlevania series.

But I still see this sentiment around in gamer circles and gamer circles tend to dictate the influence and messaging when it comes to these products, so who even knows if this is going to work because hardcore gamers just don't like it. But the "ownership" argument needs to go or at least reframed so it doesn't sound like it's selfish because fact of the matter is, a Chromebook and the price of a subscription is still going to be cheaper than a console and a few games and that kind of barrier being broken down is a good thing.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
It's bad for developers too. It's missing essential and critical info. I used to think there was a chance you knew what you were talking about, but then you posted the screen of this thread from Google so I think we're done here.
What screen are you talking about, you sure you're not confusing me with one of the others you're arguing with.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a software engineer who works in distributed computing, I thought it was a pretty good conference, and pretty close to what I was expecting... Although I'm not a game developer. I thought it was pretty similar to Apple's WWDC keynotes, some morsels for the general enthusiast audience, but mostly focused on a roadmap for tech rollout.

Although like you, for the tech demos of like co-streaming, I didn't want to see Google's tech demo, I wanted to see how that technology could be implemented in a real game. They did that in a few areas, like showing how viewers of a game stream could jump into a game o f NBA 2K with the streamer.

If you want to develop games for it, you have no idea how the monetization will work. You have no idea what will realistically be possible for consumers because of a failure to address things like data caps, and you aren't given a very good idea of how they will address lag concerns.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Not impressed to be honest, they need exclusive content to get this going.

All I saw an announcement of intention. No studio names, no titles, no actually gameplay. Doesn't Inspire confidence.

Still, eager to see more.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Cost of entry and spread.
This tech could be amazing and could bring lots of people to their games.

However not knowing how much it'll cost the user/how do we get paid also without knowing the bandwidth requirements and the actual people that qualify it's hard to be excited.

Launch an amazing game on PS4 someone buys a PS4, downloads it and plays. Launch a game on this system and if they don't have strong enough internet for it they literally can't fix that unless they move

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
- billed as an inexpensive alternative to console or gaming PC ownership, but requires an expensive top-of-the-line internet connection

Wait until people on Comcast realize that they're paying data cap fees up to 50 bucks a month for this "inexpensive alternative."

Shit, I'm already paying an extra 10-20 bucks a month on top of 50-60 dollar games when I buy them.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I guess the biggest question on my mind when it comes to this is what does pricing look like? Am I going to be paying 60 dollars and I will be able to stream it and play it for as long as I want to, am I paying X number of dollars and only having access to the game for a certain number of days, or is this a monthly subscription service?

This in my mind is the biggest thing that will either make me very interested in this service or want nothing to do with it. While I wasn't in the beta for this, I'd like to think I have a fairly good internet connection to handle this so for me the biggest issue is pricing. What am I exactly paying for and what am I getting. If this is like buying a game digitally except I'm streaming it instead of downloading it and I have unlimited access I'd be very interested.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really good Twitter thread about the unveiling:

There is a lot of good stuff here, but some things feel a bit overblown - For example, saying the controller is "physically uncomfortable", while it looks perfectly fine and the few people who have actually used one (not this guy by the sounds of it) has said it feels comfortable enough.

Their point about dropped inputs is 100% valid though, and we already see it on Stream.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If you want to develop games for it, you have no idea how the monetization will work. You have no idea what will realistically be possible for consumers because of a failure to address things like data caps, and you aren't given a very good idea of how they will address lag concerns.
Especially when lag was apparent in their live demos

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Something I keep thinking about, is how exactly is this service going to have cross play anyway? Are they trying to say their first party games will play nice with the other consoles? Are they saying their service will be on PSN or Xbox live? I feel like they just wanted to throw the word cross play up there without any real meaning. It's still game dependent, like for example, playing Doom through Google against someone on Windows. I can believe that, but without any games it's just empty words.
I've pretty much only read the OP, but I took it to mean cross-device, i.e. play on your laptop against your buddy who's playing on his phone, lol

Also, Phil Harrison? Again? I can't take that man seriously anymore (not that I could after E3 2006)

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

Those will be things you are going to likely get when you go talk to Google at GDC. They're details that Google probably doesn't want the general public to know at least for now which is why they didn't display them up yet. They may not even be finalized but you can be sure if you're a developer at the conference, you can probably set up a meeting with Google and get more details or a better general picture of what the structure will be like. I have a ton of questions myself about the financial structure but I wouldn't expect those to be disclosed at a live streaming announcement like that.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I found it interesting when they showed they are partnering with Simplygon and Havoc (amongst many others) given these are part of Microsoft. So it goes without saying that Microsoft will have been well aware of Google's plans for a long time.
Not really, they just sell a software license and it's used for all sorts of gaming related stuff, they wouldn't have much to go on based just on that besides they are doing something gaming related.