• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm honestly more interested in just streaming my steam library to other devices if needed. This feels like a massive attack on the mod scene and preservation which I just can't get down with. Might hop on and off every now and then to try some exclusives but I don't see myself buying any major releases on this platform

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
WklOGlo.jpg

I'm skeptical as anyone, but shouldn't this kind of thing not be allowed? There's nothing that gives away that this is a joke to the uninformed. So you're just left with a fake image.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
The loading time was cool, but otherwise, not impressed enough to be sold on streaming. Especially with how bad the YT compression already looks on regular game streams let alone this. Much rather have local hardware.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This thread has been a real eye opener for me. I had no idea that so many folks on a hardcore gaming forum had such shitty internet.

Funny how hard it is for people to get their minds around this. It's a real mental block for people. The hardcore minority is so wedded to their big plastic boxes. I remember on the prior forum when people belittled those who signed up with Netflix instead of buying blu rays. Guess what happened... the cheaper option playable on ANY screen with ZERO upfront cost won out by a landslide. It will be no different with video games.

I use GeForce Now and it uses about ~10 GB an hour. I saw that Stadia uses around 20? I'm lucky not to have any data caps, but those with data caps are going to be effectively zoned out of this tech for any prolonged use no matter how good their connection or ping.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I can get access to a 11 teraflop gpu for just buying a 60$ controller

What do I need a gaming pc for again?

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
real being real, if that requirement is off, it probably isn't by much.

Netflix's 4K is 7GB per hour
Vudu's 4K is 11GB per hour
HDR adds more onto it
60fps adds more onto it

This shit could HURT
if Netflix 4K is 7GB/hour at 24fps 4k60 would be 17.5 GB/hour
HDR will add more. and thats assuming it would use the same encoding compression.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Also Mr "Nobody Understands Cloud Computing", what's your explanation for 20GB/hour?

BronsonLee edited that post to say that the image was unverified and they might have been bamboozled. In any event, there was no context where the image was from so we have no idea. 7-10GB/hr might be a decent estimate, as that's slightly higher than what 4K UHD YouTube streams at.

That said, though, you don't have to be nasty to people who are just having a conversation about this new technology. I think you've made your case that you hate this service and that it's, apparently, going to bring about the bankruptcy of soccer moms all over America (or... whatever that weird argument was), but you don't have to be snide to other posters. They're not Google.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If they are confident in the tech, they need to give a free game or at least a demo (of a real game) to show people. I'm not going to pay to see how it goes. But, I am curious to see it in action.

Did people do any input lag tests on Assassin's Creed last year?

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Or you could play the game locally without worrying about that.
This is about netflix though? Same reasoning, just because you can do 4k doesn't mean you have to, and sometimes shouldn't if you know you have caps and are going over it consistenly. Ever since the advent of 4k it's like all other resolutions don't exist and aren't worth mentioning, while the majority of the world is still content with using 1080p or at most 1440p. It doesn't need to be 4k just because it can, know your limits and don't abuse them, It's not going to kill you if it's running at not 4k.

I mean the recommended streamer guildelines for youtube and twitch still tell most streamers to restrict their streaming to 720p to reach the maximum audience and limit bitrates.

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
You could, not(?), 4k stream all the time when you're aware of your in that regard? I know it's a weird concept, but just because it's there doesn't mean you have to abuse it and limits and overages be damned.

Agreed. I don't stream 4K all the time. However, the children in this country would do so without a second thought. My daughter didn't pay for it at college, so she thought it wouldn't be a problem at home - as a parent, I see more and more of this. If Stadia were to take off, something would have to be done about data caps. However, I can sympathize with ISP's as well (again, look at the name)

It isn't cheap to run the equipment that does this stuff either.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
The 20GB number is probably legit, but for 4k/60 streams. Google's recommended bitrate for 4k/60 content on Youtube is 48-68Mbps. An hour of content, with a 48Mbps download, is just over 20GB.

I did napkin math and it's either there or it's a little bit higher, but I'm not 100% certain so I'm not gonna say so

HDR will add more. and thats assuming it would use the same encoding compression.

IIRC Google has their own codec (VP9?) for this so that might take a little bit of heat off but you get the idea

Deleted member 38397

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 15, 2018
The loading time was cool, but otherwise, not impressed enough to be sold on streaming. Especially with how bad the YT compression already looks on regular game streams let alone this. Much rather have local hardware.

From what was said in the Digital Foundry interview, they know that compression on YouTube is a different matter to compression on Stadia. Expect more bitrate to be available along with other tricks Google have up their sleeves.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Counting the seconds until the first few awesome/imposible to do on console games come out for a cloud service. Come back after that to say "I will never play them", too easy now.
Nope. I have more than enough great games to last me.

It's like when DLC became a thing - I have only purchased two pieces of DLC in my life. Minerva's Den and Shadow Broker.

I've never spent a single cent on a free to play game and never will.

I've never played WoW or stuff like DotA.

It's very easy to ignore things like this.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
I'd play around with this but noticeable input lag is a deal-breaker for me and I'll bail at the first sign of that being an issue.

Not impressed with what I've seen so far.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
If they are confident in the tech, they need to give a free game or at least a demo (of a real game) to show people. I'm not going to pay to see how it goes. But, I am curious to see it in action.

Did people do any input lag tests on Assassin's Creed last year?

Digital Foundry did. In fact they point out those numbers in their latest video about Stadia.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Streaming premade video content is also easier because all the encoding is already done so you can compress it decently. Content that is encoded on the fly can only be so small.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
I need to see in my house on my internet before I'm sold. I'm not confident in this at launch, seems like something that will take considerable time and effort to ba what people want.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm skeptical as anyone, but shouldn't this kind of thing not be allowed? There's nothing that gives away that this is a joke to the uninformed. So you're just left with a fake image.
It's entirely possible that this could happen by the mere fact of running by streaming.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
real being real, if that requirement is off, it probably isn't by much.

Netflix's 4K is 7GB per hour
Vudu's 4K is 11GB per hour
HDR adds more onto it
60fps adds more onto it

This shit could HURT

This along with the pricing is going to be what completely makes or breaks it imo. If they can somehow get it around Netflix's bandwidth, this could really work. I think 10 GB (at 4K) could actually be workable for the majority. I'm not super confident that's what's happening though considering they aren't talking about it yet. Feel like that would be a big point if they had it that way.

"Stream games with the same bandwidth as movies" would be a major talking point they'd be pushing if they were confident that it's what they had. So we'll see.

klauskorp

Oct 27, 2017
Minnesota
I think there's potential for this to be cool. I don't like the potential for games to be yanked and unplayable, but with so many games having online functionality for no good reason, we're already getting to that point.

I don't know quite how to articulate my biggest worry with this, other than to say I hope the platform's reach doesn't make game monetization a race to the bottom like it is on phones. I have zero interest in another game store where the games are all free and are infested with ads or work on awful energy/waiting systems. If you have a game store where there's some free game right next to a $60 single player game, how many people would realistically go for the $60 game when it's surrounded by free games?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

It's like when DLC became a thing - I have only purchased two pieces of DLC in my life. Minerva's Den and Shadow Broker.

Yeah, I mean if we imagine a future where streaming does take off and replaces consoles to the point where no more games come out to be played locally, we'll still have 50 years of gaming to go through. Plenty of great games.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suppose this could be a reality to a lot of people. Like, I've never even be able to try and see PS Now working since I live so far away from the data centers that I never passed the quality test. I suppose it being Google, it might be more accessible to more people, but there's no denying the fact that it'll be a crapshoot for lots of folks.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I use GeForce Now and it uses about ~10 GB an hour. I saw that Stadia uses around 20? I'm lucky not to have any data caps, but those with data caps are going to be effectively zoned out of this tech for any prolonged use no matter how good their connection or ping.
The data cap issue is the one that concerns me most. Even streaming at a lower quality still chews through data.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
The 20GB number is probably legit, but for 4k/60 streams. Google's recommended bitrate for 4k/60 content on Youtube is 48-68Mbps. An hour of content, with a 48Mbps download, is just over 20GB.
Could be more too, I'd think live video encoding would not be as efficient as a set video file encode. if people stream video at 4k60 on twitch what numbers are they uploading at?
Sony launched their game streaming service in 2014.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Now
it baffles me how many people (press included) just forget that Sony's been doing this for half a decade now and they weren't even the first people to do it.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
And no reason to expect the PC scene is ever going to die because of streaming. This will (eventually) replace consoles, not the hobbyist PC scene.
I don't even think it'll replace consoles. Even in a land of game streaming, local machines, but it phones, tablets, or consoles, will always have a place for many of the same reasons why PC hardware won't vanish. People will probably be streaming their own collection from their home device to sibling devices (PC to phone halfway across the world) more than anything else.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE

The Old Hunters is worth getting.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
This thread has been a real eye opener for me. I had no idea that so many folks on a hardcore gaming forum had such shitty internet.
A lot of people don't have a whole lot of choice. In a lot of places, the only choice is bad internet or an ISP with harsh data caps. Short of moving elsewhere, there are not any options to improve it.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Agreed. I don't stream 4K all the time. However, the children in this country would do so without a second thought. My daughter didn't pay for it at college, so she thought it wouldn't be a problem at home - as a parent, I see more and more of this. If Stadia were to take off, something would have to be done about data caps. However, I can sympathize with ISP's as well (again, look at the name)

It isn't cheap to run the equipment that does this stuff either.
Yeah, but the key concept here is that even with Stadia you don't have to do it at 4K. In fact it scales automatically depending on your connection, so it can and will scale down to 1080p or 720p to maintain a stable stream, and you can set those limits. Stadia supports up to 4k 60fps, but there are many other options that are much less bandwidth hungry.

KnightimeX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was worried it would be the end for consoles but it's only streaming so it's a non-issue.
I mean yeah it's nice and all but it's not for me in more ways than one.
I hope google doesn't drop this within a year or so.
It's honestly really not all that appealing.
If you can use it for play free games without paying for a service then I can definitely see some serious value.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BronsonLee edited that post to say that the image was unverified and they might have been bamboozled. In any event, there was no context where the image was from so we have no idea. 7-10GB/hr might be a decent estimate, as that's slightly higher than what 4K UHD YouTube streams at.

That said, though, you don't have to be nasty to people who are just having a conversation about this new technology. I think you've made your case that you hate this service and that it's, apparently, going to bring about the bankruptcy of soccer moms all over America (or... whatever that weird argument was), but you don't have to be snide to other posters. They're not Google.
That poster in particular is repeadetly aggressively chiding people for forgetting that it was a game developers conference, even though its a bad conference for game developers as well.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
A lot of people don't have a whole lot of choice. In a lot of places, the only choice is bad internet or an ISP with harsh data caps. Short of moving elsewhere, there are not any options to improve it.

I don't know what's worse. Devs that are too lazy to fix their games, or consumers who are too lazy to move where the internet is faster.