• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
It won't be noticeable on 99% of games. Let's not pretend that every single game is a fighting game or requires crazy low input lag. No one will be doing pro competition on the platform.
just pointing out the correct information. Going from an xbox one x to this on the same display will be felt. I can tell the difference between my 4ms monitor and my TV. my TV is fine but when i play on my monitor it's better. adding more lag to my tv doesn't feel good. obviously some games are just fine streamed but games like DOOM Eternal? nah.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's okay. We're only the top result for "Stadia GB per hour."

C7AOXc4.jpg

LOL, wow.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
I can see the opposite being true. The extremely low barrier to entry means this has insane word of mouth potential.

I doubt you made the same comparisons to Netflix, saying it would take 5-10 years to reach the same mass appeal as iTunes.This has the potential to be a paradigm shift, and I think kids will eat this shit up.
Exactly, it'd cost next to nothing to try out

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
I never came close to the 1TB data cap I have per month, until 4K Netflix streaming. My daughter was home from college for a few days, went on a Netflix streaming spree, and in less than a weekend, 300GB of data added to my monthly usage total. Ended up paying almost $50 in overage charges that month.

That is my concern. And don't try to talk over me about the Internet and speeds (take a gander at my username). I'm pretty damned savvy

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
With Google at the helm, pushing for an all-streaming future is closer than ever. Google has the resources, the manpower, the political pull and influence necessary to be able to lobby for uncapped data. Google also the resources to be able to push fiber optic networks across the nation, eventually pushing other nations to follow suit. In order to bring a level of change to the industry, it has to start somewhere. The fact that Google is revealing this services now means they've been actively investing towards this venture and making the necessary moves required to be able to implement the infrastructure over a given period of time.

Ya'll can be naysayers now, but just give it some time.
Yeah, no. I'm not going to give Google a handjob because they have the resources to do something theoretical.

I'm particularly laughing at the bold.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I'll wait until I can test this but I'm pretty sure I'll be locked out of exclusives because my country's internet is pretty shitty.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
The name is terrible. Sounds like some kind of Diabetic medication.

RIP if you have shitty or unstable internet.

Just more Google wanting to data mine the fuck outta you, bullshit. Nothing that really makes things better for the consumer.

Hard pass.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I can see the opposite being true. The extremely low barrier to entry means this has insane word of mouth potential.

I doubt you made the same comparisons to Netflix, saying it would take 5-10 years to reach the same mass appeal as iTunes.This has the potential to be a paradigm shift, and I think kids will eat this shit up.
Again, we don't know the barriers for entry, all we know is it's limited to Google devices and Google Chrome.1 But if that 20GB an hour requirement is true, that a massive barrier for some already too.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
xCloud will be much better as it is simply an option (as far as I know) to stream games you already own that you can also download, but this only gives you the option of streaming games that you don't own.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Exactly, it'd cost next to nothing to try out

If it's shit, then it's shit end of story.

If it's noticably better than their consoles, I can see this shit taking over.

Especially with Youtube integration, imagine the money hats fucking Google will toss around for the launch to get streamers on board.

Again, we don't know the barriers for entry, all we know is it's limited to Google devices and Google Chrome.1 But if that 20GB an hour requirement is true, that a massive barrier for some already too.

Thread is moving fast, but the 200gb number is bogus.

And a chromecast is like 30 bucks and most people have acess to a Pc with chrome, trying this service will be really easy for tens of millions of people.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The name is terrible. Sounds like some kind of Diabetic medication.

RIP if you have shitty or unstable internet.

Just more Google wanting to data mine the fuck outta you, bullshit. Nothing that really makes things better for the consumer.

Hard pass.

Basically, Google discovered that gamers are some of the highest spend consumers in the world and wanted a way to get them into their ecosystem.

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
It will be popular with kids, but parents are going to freak when they get the bill. Kind of like kids playing Gotcha games with their parents' credit cards

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there should be a separate thread for Americans to complain about their data caps, because a lot of people kind of misunderstand what the real issue is with that.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
I never came close to the 1TB data cap I have per month, until 4K Netflix streaming. My daughter was home from college for a few days, went on a Netflix streaming spree, and in less than a weekend, 300GB of data added to my monthly usage total. Ended up paying almost $50 in overage charges that month.

That is my concern. And don't try to talk over me about the Internet and speeds (take a gander at my username). I'm pretty damned savvy
You could, not(?), 4k stream all the time when you're aware of your caps in that regard? I know it's a weird concept, but just because it's there doesn't mean you have to abuse it and limits and overages be damned.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
xCloud will be much better as it is simply an option (as far as I know) to stream games you already own that you can also download, but this only gives you the option of streaming games that you don't own.
You will have a rude awakening thinking those Xbox Cloud machines will be running your owned games for free... your $10 Game Pass won't include remote hardware.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I have been out all day and don't see mention of it anywhere: how are they monetising the service? What does it cost?

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
No one is talking about highest quality experiences here, we are talking able fully functioning, stable experiences.

There are too many potential issues from streaming that movies and TV aren't affected by. The convenience is incredibly compromised to the point where it could be a deal breaker for way more people than you think.

I'm not rooting for this to fail, but everything says that this'll be a secondary gaming experience complimentary to consoles for those who really want a gaming experience when they are away from one.

Google wants you to think that Grandma is going to stumble upon.an Assassins Creed vid on Youtube and start playing it instantly or something but the realistic scenario is that hundreds of millions of consoles will be sold in the next 5 years and will continue to be where people do their gaming.

You're jumping around in your argument that it's hard to keep up. First you say image quality is super important so that they can see what they're targeting, but then you say well not the highest quality to show why people don't go for the Pro, X, or PC. I'm saying the image quality will take a hit but not to the point where you can't see anything and makes it unplayable. I think it will be good enough for plenty of people for the sake of convenience. Not good enough for my tastes, but good enough for a large amount of people out there.

I'm assuming this will be reasonably playable; it's not like we don't have examples of this already including Google's own test that people have played already a few months ago. I think when you remove the fact that you don't need a high end PC, let alone even a decent PC or a $400 console, that becomes a compelling barrier that is taken away combined with a convenience of simply clicking on their browser to play. The combination of the two is a huge factor that I think will weigh in for enough people to be attracted to the concept. The hardware barrier alone is huge and we can't discount that.

Personally, I would love this to fail and all streaming initiatives to also fail because I'm one who doesn't even like digital copies of games. However, what I want and what the reality of the market is are two different things. As much as I fight back for physical copies, better quality, and consumer rights, I know for sure that people are willing to give up those things for the sake of convenience. Saving hundreds of dollars in the process will be a huge swaying factor too.

I don't expect hard core fighting game tournament players to like this, but as it clearly shows, plenty of people play fighting games online when other people would call it unplayable. I think you're not giving enough credit in how people don't notice, won't care, or will simply adapt for the convenience factor and saving a ton of money in the process.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
This thread has been a real eye opener for me. I had no idea that so many folks on a hardcore gaming forum had such shitty internet.
I mean, they did. A damn powerful one, even. It's just not sitting at your home :p

Funny how hard it is for people to get their minds around this. It's a real mental block for people. The hardcore minority is so wedded to their big plastic boxes. I remember on the prior forum when people belittled those who signed up with Netflix instead of buying blu rays. Guess what happened... the cheaper option playable on ANY screen with ZERO upfront cost won out by a landslide. It will be no different with video games.

jony

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a PC elitist but if this helps folks play more "hardcore" or "conventional" games instead of mobile games I'm down.

There could be some case scenarios where this could be useful like grinding while at work :D

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
You could, not(?), 4k stream all the time when you're aware of your caps in that regard? I know it's a weird concept, but just because it's there doesn't mean you have to abuse it and limits and overages be damned.
Or you could play the game locally without worrying about that.

CheeseWraith

Oct 28, 2017
As for not owning your own games, you don't really own your games right now anyways. You're an end user and you have to agree to a EULA on like almost every single game you play.

As for physical media, you don't OWN Assassin's Creed Odyssey, you own a piece of plastic that has Assassin's Creed Odyssey on it.

Offline play would be simple to incorporate - follow Netflix's strategy for offline movies. Download the ones you want to play offline (minimum hardware requirements have to be met in order to play), stream the ones you want to play online.

I am a digital only player since at least two years ago. On PC, I can download the games I "own" and interact with them in different ways, basically doing anything I want with the data. I don't think I'll ever be able to do so with Stadia games, even when my local device could play them natively.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
The 20GB number is probably legit, but for 4k/60 streams. Google's recommended bitrate for 4k/60 content on Youtube is 48-68Mbps. An hour of content, with a 48Mbps download, is just over 20GB.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
I'm a PC elitist but if this helps folks play more "hardcore" or "conventional" games instead of mobile games I'm down.

There could be some case scenarios where this could be useful like grinding while at work :D

Nope. People that play primarily on mobile do so because the games themselves are simplistic, not so much because of access.