• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheDeep1974

Oct 26, 2017
The thing you have to consider though is the venue this is being demoed in. It's GDC where there's a lot of wireless networked devices being run. I wouldn't judge normal usage based on a convention center setting. That doesn't mean that lag won't be an issue but I wouldn't take this setting as proof of that either.

I am sure it would have it's dedicated connection.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if this came out maybe 5 years from now it would fly off the shelves" but I guess they are trying to get in on it now and benefit later before sony and Microsoft claim to be first

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
The missing piece here really is the payment model. Is this a Netflix-like service? Are we renting games? Buying them?

I think the answer is probably all of the above.

Overall, this struck me as just an exercise in flag planting. Google wants to own the game streaming market, but aside from a name, a general list of the benefits of streaming in general, and a few publishers attached, we didn't learn much we didn't already know or could easily surmise.
My guess is subscription-based. Companies love recurring revenue. Also they probably want to hedge on usage costs and charge you per unit of time (aka month) instead of a no-strings-attached one time fee. You could theoretically incur infinite usage cost from a $60 game.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
46.JPG

*cries in data cap*

Can someone help me work out how much data per hour my PS4/XB1/Switch uses for a comparison?

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Seriously think this is gonna get very popular outside of the small world of Gamers®. The ease of use and instant share function is enough to rake in the mainstream.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think 60 mbps will be feasible for a mass market internet still sucks in a lot of locations away from big urban areas. How about 5G would not it be a solution to this internet problem?

Yeah I don't think that high bandwidth streaming products will ever really take off in low bandwidth areas unfortunately. But like you said, 5G offers a tremendous option in the future... though again, 5G will only slowly roll out to more rural areas. The goal of 5G is to eliminate wireless latency and provide max speeds somewhere in the 10Gbps range. Though, obviously, that doesn't mean that every (or even most) services will connected at 10Gbps, you'll still be limited by the server you're connecting to, but for high bandwidth needs those servers should scale up to some reasonable consumer delivery speed.

I think a lot of Google's future products are banking on the widespread availability of 5G in ~5 years. For instance, part of their auomated driving program is heavily influenced by the future of 5G, and zero latency mobile communication.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah, they have time at least, streaming is obviously going to be around for a long time and like the other medias is the end goal of gaming too, but people expecting it to pretty much instantly become the way most play are going to be very disappointed I think, give it 5-10 years and it might be where digital on consoles is now.

I can see the opposite being true. The extremely low barrier to entry means this has insane word of mouth potential.

I doubt you made the same comparisons to Netflix, saying it would take 5-10 years to reach the same mass appeal as iTunes.This has the potential to be a paradigm shift, and I think kids will eat this shit up.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
I think the best part about all this is that the barrier to entry is almost nothing.

Basically anyone can jump in.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
And I'll still stand by that you're going to find that the convenience will trump that trade off. People won't care as much as you think they do. Only a small percentage of people are going to nitpick over that. If people did care, you'd see the Pro and the X being the dominant selling systems. You'd see the PC doing better than consoles too.

No one is talking about highest quality experiences here, we are talking able fully functioning, stable experiences.

There are too many potential issues from streaming that movies and TV aren't affected by. The convenience is incredibly compromised to the point where it could be a deal breaker for way more people than you think.

I'm not rooting for this to fail, but everything says that this'll be a secondary gaming experience complimentary to consoles for those who really want a gaming experience when they are away from one.

Google wants you to think that Grandma is going to stumble upon.an Assassins Creed vid on Youtube and start playing it instantly or something but the realistic scenario is that hundreds of millions of consoles will be sold in the next 5 years and will continue to be where people do their gaming.

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
Just to clarify: Stadia under optimal conditions (Google fiber connection) had the same latency (and slightly worse with 'only' 15MBps) with game running at 60fps compared to the same game running at 30fps on Xbox.

It will be fine for several genres but MP shooters, fighters, Sekiro etc. will be hampered.

The laws of physics is a bitch.
The Stadia stream was 30fps, not 60fps.

The latency is the same.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
we're gonna see articles about soccer moms going bankrupt because their kid left fortnite on. like that smurfs micro transaction or wiimotes breaking tvs back in the day

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my....

It's for casuals indeed.
Sweet mother. 20GB an hour?!
And this right here is a huge problem for a lot of people.
This is the Future, baby! This will be sold next to the cold fusion power supply boxes all over the world!
Fuck that's insane. And that's for just 1080p.
"But we're being so pessimistic!"
so if i play games for 10 hours a week, for 4 weeks a month, that's 10 * 4 * 20 = 800GB a month

surely my ISP will be okay with this
Google probably shouldn't even bother selling this thing in 90% of the United States.
'Is not different than youtube/netflix, guys'

Most people might have missed Bronson's edit once you've quoted the image:

"EDIT: I'm trying to verify this now, but this is likely being misinterpreted/was me getting bamboozled. Apologies, please disregard."

Oct 25, 2017
  • Streaming only
  • No real games revealed
  • Bland, unimaginative controller
This is a hard pass so far. I can't believe they tried to draw parallels to Dreamcast of all things, given how uninspired this feels from that showcase.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really don't care for the name. It sounds like the artificial sweeteners Stevia or a medical condition or something.

Nothing about it screams video games, but hey I guess neither does "Xbox or Wii U"

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Google better be armed with some sweet bribe/lobby money if they want this to catch on everywhere not Silicon valley. The internet requirements are ridiculous.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Most people might have missed Bronson's edit once you've quoted the image:

"EDIT: I'm trying to verify this now, but this is likely being misinterpreted/was me getting bamboozled. Apologies, please disregard."

They don't care. They'll just dogpile on the next bit of 'bad news' that's posted on a jpeg.

Deleted member 38397

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 15, 2018
What does this do to PC gaming? Will more games use Vulkan instead of DirectX? Will the blockbuster games have a native Linux port instead of relying on Steam's Proton?