• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So, Where can I buy this 10TF base unit so I can play all these games natively?

Oct 31, 2017
5 things that concern me:
1. Google data collecting, something their known to do.
2. 60fps and 4K seems like it will cause many with data caps to rack them up fast and that's still a lot of people, like even talking about low end computers, how many people will really be able to use it?
3. How about offline mode? I might not internet on all the time intentionally or unintentionally.
4. Consumer rights and ownership of games being lost.
5. I need to see it or non-Google people doing the "instantaneous" game play to see if it true. Not sure on that yet.

1. Don't for a second think Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony are not collecting your data
4. This is akin to Netflix AND/OR MoviesAnywhere/Google Play. The former you lose your access as soon as you stop paying your sub fee, the latter you keep the movie since you bought it.

God I hope Switch gets Stadia and/or XCloud integration.

I think MS and/or Google would want that. However, I think they would also want Nintendo games on the streaming platform.

Jul 20, 2018
Skeptical about how well they'll be able to stream games to me but at least they got joystick placement right.

Where was Amy Hennig?

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
It's amusing that people compare some literal who startup's previous tries to this as some kind of proof that Stadia will fail. This is made by Google. If anyone has a shot, it's them.

I mean it's basically them or Apple, and Google is by far more ubiquitous.

But it'll be interesting to see if Apple or even Samsung tries to jump into the game after this.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
It will be interesting how European regulatory bodies react to this. They are heavily criticizing amazon ATM for putting up their own products on their own storefront. I do think advertising your own stuff on youtube can also be problematic but I'm no expert on this. Youtube is their biggest asset in this push, that's for sure.

Oct 27, 2017
  • Cross-platform multiplayer and save files
pedantry irk here

I mean if everything is running on the same hardware, but somewhere else and all you are doing is streaming it, is it really cross-platform? Thats like saying your xbox outputting to a TV or a monitor is cross platform. I get what they mean is that "you can access from a multitude of different devices" but that isn't really a platform level thing.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's because I'm quickly skimming this at work but I'm not entirely sure what to expect, beyond it having a controller and some vague idea of streaming through Chrome. Need to see it in action before I can call it.

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like an awesome service, can't wait to see more. Good to see they're likely to launch here as well.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
There's a bunch of interesting tech and features here that intrigue me (like being able to "link"/share a particular instance), and the accessibility alone could make it huge, but when you factor in practical questions (game cost, bandwidth issues, lineup), I don't really know what to make of it.

As big as this might be, I just don't see it seriously challenging/replacing traditional game ownership until/unless bandwidth tech improves significantly. In the short term I could see traditional platforms copying some features, though.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Did anyone else catch the part that you can only play stadia on pixel and slate devices as far as portables go? That right there kinda sucked the "play anywhere" hype away.

wait what really? i thought they only demo'd it using their products...im pretty sure itll be available everywhere because that is totally stupid if they limited it to chromebooks and pixels.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Really interesting tech. The cynic in me says this will still won't be ideal with current ISPs (especially in regards to lag), but it's definitely a solid proposition for pushing this tech forward.

The Pricing will make or break this thing. I'm hoping they go for a Netflix style pricing and even go for a super "affordable tier"
Something like the following would be great:
Per month
$5 for 720p-540p 30 fps
$10 for 1080p 60 fps
$15 for 4k 60 fps.

And of course, discounts for yearly packages

AzVal

May 7, 2018
What is considered high speed connection? Max I could get from home is 20mb at like 50$ a month

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
I missed some of this, and have no time to go back pages due to 800+ and me being at work but...

Did they explain their reasoning behind people with datacaps or low bandwidth?

nizerifin

Jun 9, 2018
Well, I mean, I have a PS4 for the exclusive games. I don't really care how the game gets on my TV as long as it looks and plays awesome(ly). If Google is just now starting to develop games, it could be 3-5 years before they have their own exclusives to warrant my interest.

Anim

Oct 29, 2017
www.stadia.com

QiwwhP9.png

Tnx Google.

Yeah, thanks a lot Google. One would think that by "most of Europe" they meant at least the EU, but it seems like Google still lives in the 80s.

Boylamite

Feb 12, 2019
This is pretty much the antithesis of what I want from games. From the lack of ownership to the focus on services which I would never ever use, it's cleary not for me. The tech is fascinating but this needs to remain an option and not the 'future'.

100% agree. Hardest pass possible.

Last edited:

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's say streaming 4K 60FPS HDR gameplay requires 30Mbit data stream (but is this even enough for no compromise 4K quality?). To play a 50 hour game would generate 527GB of traffic. Most ISPs will probably end unlimited data options or fees will increase significatly, because the way it works now the costs of "unlimited" data plants for heavy users is offloaded to users who also have "unlimited" data but aren't using it all that much.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
Only issue is: next gen consoles will definitely have the same (or better) specs. And less latency.

What? Did you watch the stream? There's no limit to the power unlike a console. If your game requires 4 GPUs then you get 4 GPUs to run that game. This type of solution will always allow for better looking games than a console can do. The only questions are the pricing of the streaming service and how well this scales to millions of people.

I played the Project Stream beta and I'm a believer in the tech

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Anyways this won't fail, but it will depend on the content.
I can see millions of daily users in the future, but it has to be very cheap and offer a good enough experience.
It will get better and expand to more areas as infrastructure grows.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Proper consoles are like asking for a DVD player. That shit is dead moving forward.

Yeah, it's too risky. The current players have their install bases, which are sustainable, but no company is going to be dumb enough to come out and tell their investors, "We wanna drop like a billion into R&D for hardware that everyone makes peanuts on, and hopefully after several years of that, we'll be able to sell enough software/subscriptions to get you a return on that investment." It's super fucking dumb in 2019.

Microsoft will likely be the last to really pull that off, and they were risking a lot to do that. It worked for them in the end, but telling investors, "Don't worry, we can pull it off like Microsoft did" is not a convincing pitch. "Just do what one of the most successful, valuable, diverse companies in the world did. It's easy!"

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
I'm optimistic. Being able to just instantly play a game at 4K for a few hours via Stadia to see if I like it seems awesome.

Also their instant streaming button will be huge.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The idea is brilliant. But I'm sceptical about the real world performance at the north pole where I'm at.

And if it's just streaming, why doesn't it just use the latest biggest PC hardware the devs already use???? Getting devs to port their games to a new 10.7TF platform in 2019 just when next gen is about to start seems weird.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah I'm sold! Looks great and the possibilites are endless. Imagine what devs can do with all that power. The revolutionized ways people can play and interact on a global scale.

Going forward I'll toss my gaming PC, use Stadia for most games and a Nintendo for portable gaming.

Also they have the same mindset as Epic Games regarding how you find new games, through media. Favorite youtuber/twitterer sends a link and I can jump in instantanly. I like that.

I hope "rest of Europe" means Sweden.

Welcome to the future!

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
So was there a price announced? It's just the controller they gonna sell right? Connecting to any chrome browser whther on PC or mobile devices would work and you doesn't need to buy any extra device like chromecast?

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
What is the system, some piece of hw are just some app ? What arethe prices / the soft ?
All this looks meh.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
The potential input lag already writes this off for me.

But this can still be big because of how convenient it would be. I don't think the general masses care about something like input lag.

criesofthepast

Crash Test Dummy
Oct 25, 2017
Right up my alley. Will keep an eye on this. I had good experiences with my PS Now trial a year ago.

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's say streaming 4K 60FPS HDR gameplay requires 30Mbit data stream (but is this even enough for no compromise 4K quality?). To play a 50 hour game would generate 527GB of traffic. Most ISPs will probably end unlimited data options or fees will increase significatly, because the way it works now the costs of "unlimited" data plants for heavy users is offloaded to users who also have "unlimited" data but aren't using it all that much.
Google has "nodes" in provider networks. That's how they host Youtube, in part at least. It doesn't cost anyone a penny.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I mentioned this in another thread, but this could be like Westworld.

The point of Westworld, spoiler alert, was to monitor the choices people make in an RPG in order to crack artificial intelligence.

I imagine the treasure trove of data from this operation would pay for itself. It's not just code, it's emotional data. It's nuts.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
Wasn't the whole point of this to show the developers the tech, talk about hardware and tools for THEM?... people are acting like this was a full fledged game conference from E3.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right now this is basically non-competitive. They really need a box or something to get that core at their side.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
It's a pretty interesting wrench for sure. (seemingly) No exclusives at launch though?

I hope xcloud can match it. Also hope E3 won't have too much xcloud talk. Tech is cool, but I want to hear about games.