• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Google Drive is flagging text files that only contain a "1" or "0" as copyright infringements. These seemingly harmless bits are automatically targeted by the storage platform's filtering algorithm, apparently for a terms of service violation. As if that's not drastic enough, there is no option to challenge this arbitrary decision.

The entire digital world is made up of binary code, often 1's and 0's. When you piece enough of them together, beautiful things can be created.

By themselves, these two numbers are not that impressive. However, Google Drive appears to see them as a threat of sorts.

Yesterday, Dr. Emily Dolson, an Assistant Professor at Michigan State University studying eco-evolutionary dynamics, noted that the storage platform had flagged one of her files.

It is no secret that Google uses automatic hash recognition to scan for copyright-infringing content. In this case, however, it was nothing more than a text file containing the number "1". The name of the file is "output04.txt" which doesn't sound any alarm bells either.

Still, Google determined that the file represented a copyright-related terms of service violation and prevented it from being publicly shared.

Google Drive Flags Text Files With "1" or "0" As Copyright Infringements * TorrentFreak

Google Drive's algorithms are flagging text files that only contain a "1" or "0" as copyright infringements.

Mark as copyright infringement if old.

TheStebe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
London
User Warned: Copyright Infringement
01000111 01101111 01101111 01100111 01101100 01100101 00100000 01110000 01101100 01110011

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Dr. Emily Dolson should have minted the 1™ ealier... too late to complain now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"A review cannot be requested"

When you have so much trust in your AI machine learning copyright detector that thinks the number 1 is copyrighted.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas

When you have so much trust in your AI machine learning copyright detector that thinks the number 1 is copyrighted.

This is the real news.

A new article coming out for each and every time someone cries afoul of the algorithm is going to get really annoying. "So now files with [mundane thing] are infringing according to Google!" for each time their system erroneously flags a file.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Hahaha love that binary post. Deserves a tag!'

Edit: tag should be 01010111 01100001 01110010 01101110 01100101 01100100

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If you can't employ/train/pay real people to handle your ridiculous copyright robot's fuckups then maybe you shouldn't make copyright robots.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
It's really dumb that the message doesn't even say who the alleged copyright holder is. This is the type of shit I was worried about when the last thread on this subject popped up.

I don't think there's any AI issues going on here, I think they simply don't manually audit the files that are submitted to them as being copyrighted. DMCA abuse is pretty rampant and if they make any file that's gotten a DMCA unable to be re-used, it would definitely generate a ton of false positives.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
latest

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's why I write everything with I-s and O-s rather than 1-s and 0-s

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Google is a garbage company, our IP laws are fucking terrible, and together they like wonder twins of garbage, like this particular case is mostly silly, but the approach both our lawmakers and google have been taking for online copyright enforcement is fucking terrible, and it hurts pretty much everyone outside a handful of big media companies and a whole lot of lawyers.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to know the context for having a file in your shared drive that simply contains "1" LOL

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'd love to know the context for having a file in your shared drive that simply contains "1" LOL

Perhaps they have a script that outputs the return code of a running application. I've definitely output single bytes of data to temporary files before - but that's not the kind of file I'd be uploading to cloud storage.

That being said, a single byte file should never trigger a copyright warning, period - and certainly not one where you can't contest it.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Love the people in teh comments saying "I'm going to OneDrive!"

I don't get being up in arms with Google, but you're ok with Microsoft?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
www.youtube.com

The Body Electric

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupThe Body Electric · RushGrace Under Pressure℗ 1984 Anthem Records Inc.Released on: 1984-01-01Composer Lyricist: ...

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado

I've had to work with Google "support" both as a consumer and in my work capacity, and Google's support is absolute dogshit. I can't believe people don't talk about it more. I got locked out of my Google account that I have had since Gmail beta days, and I couldn't talk to a real person to get access back. It was so infuriating.

They also don't care if Google Docs is used for phishing attempts; which happened at my work. We got on enterprise support since we have G Suite and their response was "we can't do anything about it because the form isn't hosted on our platform;" when the URL for the phishing form started with docs.google.com.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
zero zero zero zero zero zero one
zero zero zero zero zero zero one one
zero zero zero zero zero zero one one one
zero zero zero zero zero one one one one
Come on sucker, lick my battery

So is google gonna take down Robots from Flight of the Conchords too?