• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The hottakes people are having regarding Stadia are so cringe worthy 🙄

Did People say the same after Vita/WIIU or kinda the Xbox One failed? That the company will now close up everything after a failed try? Google doesn't even have to risk much, because they aren't losing that mich money, that could even slightly bother them.

Not to mention that everything points to the Stadia being successful.

That's because those other companies don't have a long history of dropping products if they aren't immediately successful.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had to do the googles.....I thought it was an old program or something it was launched in 2016. Sony let SOCOM servers run longer than that

just because it bares repeating: google killed their massively pushed VR platform just 16 months after the flagship, $400 headset launched.

I bought the mirage solo as my 9th vr headset to support it as a development platform, so I look at it less like an average consumer does. But good god, imagine if you WEREN'T a super VR nerd, and you bought that $400 mirage solo because it was new and shiny. Less than a year and a half later, it's a paper weight.

Just awful.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
just because it bares repeating: google killed their massively pushed VR platform just 16 months after the flagship, $400 headset launched.

I bought the mirage solo as my 9th vr headset to support it as a development platform, so I look at it less like an average consumer does. But good god, imagine if you WEREN'T a super VR nerd, and you bought that $400 mirage solo because it was new and shiny. Less than a year and a half later, it's a paper weight.

Just awful.
Funny thing is you can kinda still get Google Glass today

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Ok, I'm confused.

Was Google Daydream a headset that was essentially a wearable case for android phones, or was it a stand-alone device like Oculus GO or Quest?

Did DayDream provide 6 DoF or did it have 3 DoF like previous mobile VR solutions?

Con_Smith

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Faith in Stadia now below zero.

You would think a company with as much resources and name recognition would be able to parlay some of their services better to the market instead of just killing them and walking away but whatevs.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
Ok, I'm confused.

Was Google Daydream a headset that was essentially a wearable case for android phones, or was it a stand-alone device like Oculus GO or Quest?

Did DayDream provide 6 DoF or did it have 3 DoF like previous mobile VR solutions?
Daydream was a "platform" for different devices. It could support 6 DoF and it could support 3 depending on the device. The phone based headset was 3 DoF with a little clicker touchpad remote. Other devices could have supported full on motion controllers and room scale tracking.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Daydream was a "platform" for different devices. It could support 6 DoF and it could support 3 depending on the device. The phone based headset was 3 DoF with a little clicker touchpad remote. Other devices could have supported full on motion controllers and room scale tracking.

Yeah, the 3 DoF phone-based headset was the one I was thinking of. I also file that under "mobile VR" though maybe that's not the best description.

But, DayDream was a platform, and ... now then entire platform is discontinued?

soundtrack

Oct 28, 2017
Can't say I'm hopeful about it, but equating a small product like Daydream to the infrastructure investment of Stadia is pretty silly.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the question i have is, if and when stadia shuts down, what happens to the exclusive games (like gylt)? will google publish them on other platforms or will they be just gone forever?

edit: nvm gylt is not a 1st party game and google doesn't own the IP. the question stands for when they have a 1st party game tho.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
the question i have is, if and when stadia shuts down, what happens to the exclusive games (like gylt)? will google publish them on other platforms or will they be just gone forever?

edit: nvm gylt is not a 1st party game and google doesn't own the IP. the question stands for when they have a 1st party game tho.
Google's not that stupid, they'll probably pull a SEGA and port everything if that happened.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
All these examples about how google historically cancels their products left and right are fun and all, but it's a bit different when all you would lose is the games, and maybe not even that if they offer cd keys for steam or whatever if they close down. And if you truly lost them, would it be a disaster? How often do you replay games unless it's through a remaster/remake?

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
All these examples about how google historically cancels their products left and right are fun and all, but it's a bit different when all you would lose is the games, and maybe not even that if they offer cd keys for steam or whatever if they close down. And if you truly lost them, would it be a disaster? How often do you replay games unless it's through a remaster/remake?

Defending the erosion of consumer rights by saying "who cares if the game you own disappears forever?" is definitely a take.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
This forum needs an official "Stadia shitposting" thread. The amount of discussion about it in unrelated threads is nuts.
I'm not sure I'd say this one is completely unrelated given it is about Google killing off a platform that failed to be a hit fairly quickly. That would seem to at least give pause to those interested in Stadia.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Pretty damn often bruh. I still use my DSI pretty much daily.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Defending the erosion of consumer rights by saying "who cares if the game you own disappears forever?" is definitely a take.
You can use UPlay+ and Stadia Base to go real cheap of you're too worried. I lose the access to games every month through Game Pass, it's not something I think about, if they pulled the plug on it today I would still think it was cheap.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
You can use UPlay+ and Stadia Base to go real cheap of you're too worried. I lose the access to games every month through Game Pass, it's not something I think about, if they pulled the plug on it today I would still think it was cheap.

That's great for you, but plenty of people still prefer to actually own their games, and losing access to a $60 game you paid for is and should always be taboo.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
That's retro, nobody here seems to expect Stadia to survive even two years, so lets go by that: How often do you replay games you played through two years ago?
Still pretty damn often bruh. I've played through God of War 4 times, for example.

Again, "why should people care about losing access forever to the games they paid for" isn't the best way to defend Stadia.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
That's retro, nobody here seems to expect Stadia to survive even two years, so lets go by that: How often do you replay games you played through two years ago?
It's less about replaying games from two years ago, and just playing games (for the first time) that are only two years old. My PS4/XB1 backlogs go back further than that.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
That's great for you, but plenty of people still prefer to actually own their games, and losing access to a $60 game you paid for is and should always be taboo.
Unless you keep all your old consoles plugged in you might lose access to your regular games as well. I lost access to a whole bunch of PSN/PS3 games when I bought a PS4. Moving from WiiU to Switch caused me to lose access to 100+ VC WW games I had moved over from Wii.

morrigan8bit

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 1, 2019
Another dropped product from Google. No wonder people are sceptical of Stadia.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Unless you keep all your old consoles plugged in you might lose access to your regular games as well. I lost access to a whole bunch of PSN/PS3 games when I bought a PS4. Moving from WiiU to Switch caused me to lose access to 100+ VC WW games I had moved over from Wii.

...are you seriously saying that deciding to unplug your old consoles is the same as losing your games on them forever, like might very well happen with Stadia?

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017

Just awful.
The Mirage Solo had no hype and got terrible reviews. People either want VR for casual media consumption, or they want it for Beat Saber, Superhot, Moss, Thumper, etc. Nobody wanted to pay $400 for a standalone that went halfway with 6DOF head/3DOF hand tracking. Consumers see what all the other headsets and games are like, and they want one that meets the standards.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Still pretty damn often bruh. I've played through God of War 4 times, for example.

Again, "why should people care about losing access forever to the games they paid for" isn't the best way to defend Stadia.
Yeah but it's a highly hypotetical scenario, we don't know if the service will get cancelled or if we'll lose the games if they close the service. Maybe they'll give us the license to the Steam/GOG/EGS versions?

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Yeah but it's a highly hypotetical scenario, we don't know if the service will get cancelled or if we'll lose the games if they close the service. Maybe they'll give us the license to the Steam/GOG/EGS versions?

That's quite the fantasy scenario you've created for yourself there. You do realise those services are competitors to Google? Why would Google offer the licenses for rival services?

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
...are you seriously saying that deciding to unplug your old consoles is the same as losing your games on them forever, like might very well happen with Stadia?
I don't keep all my consoles and they very rarely work forever. My PS4 isn't doing well at all. My Wii has graphics issues. My (3rd) 360 is dead. Sure I could just buy new consoles and keep on playing but that's another payment driving up the cost of console gaming, so unless there is BC: Lost access to whole shelves of games.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
VR is a mistake though, I can't blame Google for this.
Nintendo's Labo was also a mistake...is that thing still alive? If it is, it won't be for long and it's ok to admit it. You just can't waste resources if something isn't selling.

Sir_Caffeine

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Never bought a daydream headset. Never saw anyone use one. So... No surprise here. Stadia might be a different beast though, seems they thinking more revenue service this time instead of just an accessory to a phone.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
That's quite the fantasy scenario you've created for yourself there. You do realise those services are competitors to Google? Why would Google offer the licenses for rival services?
To not piss off their customers. I could create more fantasies if you like.
They could keep the servers up for the few that still use it.
They could box the Stadia hardware and sell as consoles if they pull the plug on the datacenters.
They could buy some exclusives and simply make sure people use the service.