• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The purpose is to speak to if the company is deranking Conservative websites, but thus far it's really just showed that our elected officials have no idea how the internet works.

Thus far he's spoken about Bots, Russia, China, and had to explain how Android works in a way that grandparents would understand.

*MODS - I searched but didn't see a thread, please link and lock if there is one.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
UU90JLF.png

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably super embarrassing. I'm not a huge fan of google but the Republicans are way out of their league here. I can't watch this right now but I hope to see some highlights later.

Oct 25, 2017
Republicans are always out of their league when it comes to tech.

Dems aren't guaranteed to be that much better, but they tend to be younger which helps a lot. They also aren't targeted as much by telecom lobbyists (who actively feed lies to congressmen to get their way).

Dec 6, 2018
Republicans are always out of their league when it comes to tech.

Dems aren't guaranteed to be that much better, but they tend to be younger which helps a lot. They also aren't targeted as much by telecom lobbyists (who actively feed lies to congressmen to get their way).

Maybe the ones in office but with the dregs of the internet becoming shoved into your face by youtube and shared with facebook, the right has a loud voice. Luckily some of the one's driving the internet are getting deplatformed and the left seems to actually be getting slightly better at using the internet to convey their own message

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, what is the limit of excercising free speech? Is it just dont be so loud as Alex was in the video? I hear authorities can't do anything about expressing views.

Edit: Oh yeah I remember now. Say what you want to say but you are responsible for the consequences of what you say.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Out of curiosity, what is the limit of excercising free speech? Is it just dont be so loud as Alex was in the video? I hear authorities can't do anything about expressing views.

Edit: Oh yeah I remember now. Say what you want to say but you are responsible for the consequences of what you say.
Limits by government or limits by a private entity like Google on their platforms?

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Gaetz asking why a Google employee would need to hold their nose while looking through Breitbart for hate speech is just plain comedy.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Lieu breaking down the difference between free speech and the first amendment between a private organization and the government and calling this all a waste of time.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alex Jones looks like a side character in a Dicken's story, down on his luck and trying to find a lifeline out of poverty.

(Get fuckt)

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, right, I forgot about this. Making my feelings about the PDP stuff yesterday even worse.

We could be taking these companies to task about how vastly irresponsible they are but instead... they're angry that maybe conservative websites aren't as high in Google results as they want. Great.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
The Republicans aren't savvy enough to understand, but if I were one of them, I'd ask Google how it talks about a free internet and its prerogatives as a private company out of one side of its mouth, but when it comes to China, it caves to that government's demands in order to conduct business in the country.

The question would be, if they've already shown that they'll comply with a government's wishes, no matter how oppressive they may be, then why fight our wishes?

You expose their hypocrisy and leave the implied threat that we'll crack down on you and there's nothing you can do about it, because it's how you do business in China.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
The Republicans aren't savvy enough to understand, but if I were one of them, I'd ask Google how it talks about a free internet and its prerogatives as a private company out of one side of its mouth, but when it comes to China, it caves to that government's demands in order to conduct business in the country.

The question would be, if they've already shown that they'll comply with a government's wishes, no matter how oppressive they may be, then why fight our wishes?

You expose their hypocrisy and leave the implied threat that we'll crack down on you and there's nothing you can do about it, because it's how you do business in China.
Checkmate, Google.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, right, I forgot about this. Making my feelings about the PDP stuff yesterday even worse.

We could be taking these companies to task about how vastly irresponsible they are but instead... they're angry that maybe conservative websites aren't as high in Google results as they want. Great.
Agreed. This is a massively fumbled opportunity. The Republican arguments are entirely trying to prove Google is a biased liberal hellhole by catching Pichai in a gotcha question to no end, and then capping it off with "What about China" getting a non-response, but they keep trying.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville

In a way, the policy wonks underneath are aiming to do just this with upcoming privacy legislation. But you are absolutely correct, they clearly don't know how to ask the right questions, and seems like they are unwilling to listen to facts either.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
In a way, the policy wonks underneath are aiming to do just this with upcoming privacy legislation. But you are absolutely correct, they clearly don't know how to ask the right questions, and seems like they are unwilling to listen to facts either.

Imagine if these guys were actually professionals at this sort of thing, where they would grandstand but also would lay out a plan of attack during questioning that would indicate where they were going with policy as well as asking actual probing questions.

Instead it's "Why no Jones ons google?!"

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Gohmert is so far up his own ass in proverbs that he is yelling at the CEO for Google about liberal bias on wikipedia.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
He probably thought Zuckerberg had way too much fun when he did it, and he is trying to repeat it.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The limit is hate speech and stuff like healing fire in a crowded building when there is no fire. However, the government is not allowed to censor or punish you for anything else. The say what you want but words have consequences is the private sector stuffs that are not held to the government's limits.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
MR. PICHAI, COULD YOU EXPLAIN TO ME WHY I SOMETIMES HAVE TO UNPLUG AND PLUG MY ROUTER BOX THINGY TO GET THE NETFLIX WORKING AGAIN ON MY TELLY? HMMMMM?

This is fucking depressing levels of competency to watch.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Further proof that Alex Jones is basically a nobody without piggybacking off of Google in some way.

Stay irrelevant, pal. "Lies about my family"? Cough* sandy hook parents cough*

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This should be a slam dunk for the Republicans, but I'm sure they'll fuck it up.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017

Demanding a private company provide the names of its employees so it can be determined if any of them have been critical of the ruling party... You'd think that's a description of a dictatorship.

More amusingly, he apparently started going on about iPhones before Pichai had to tell him iPhones are made by a different company.

Oct 25, 2017

Someone did ask them about China:

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
This is why we need more younger members of congress. These people are ill equipped to handle the tech challenges of our time.

Oct 25, 2017
Konoha
Rep. Gaetz: Have you conducted an investigation into the political views of your employees.

This is bonkers. What CEO in his/her right mind would launch an investigation into their employees political views?!