• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Phone looks fine, its a rectangle with a screen and camera. Cool. What I'm really curious about is the custom chip performance and if it'll allow Google to support the Pixel 6 long term. Might actually be interested in Android phones again by the time my iPhone 11 bites the dust.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in love with the camera on my bf's Pixel 3, and have been for years. It's just stunning. I told myself I'd want a Pixel for sure whenever it came time to replace my Note 9. It's been my first Android phone ever, and my first smartphone that I've kept for 3 years (and it's still good, but struggles now and then. And it takes ....meh photos).

Wonder if I should take the leap on this as my next phone? But ugh, if it's gonna be like $1200+ CDN for the Pixel 6 Pro, yikes...

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
Word is that the Tensor SoC is actually a rebranded Exynos 9855. I'm unfamiliar with Samsung SoCs, so it would be appreciated if anyone can weigh in on this matter.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Word is that the Tensor SoC is actually a rebranded Exynos 9855. I'm unfamiliar with Samsung SoCs, so it would be appreciated if anyone can weigh in on this matter.
A few thoughts...

1: It makes sense that Google isn't fabbing or creating their own chip from scratch, Samsung would be a great partner for this.

2: Rebrand is probably not the right term, there is currently no released 9855. It's likely just Google's name for the developed chip.

3: Isn't Samsung supposed to be working with AMD to put Radeon graphics into their next line of chips... Could be interesting if all of these rumors converge here.

It should be noted that Exynos has mostly caught up in performance to Qualcomm this latest generation, so all of these rumors are good news for any upcoming chip from both or all three companies.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
There is some logic... until you realize that the phones that don't include chargers are almost ultra fast 30+W capable phones and most people don't have those sitting around. "Thankfully" they're more then willing to sell you them separately...

This here is the main issue with not shipping chargers. Newer phones with ultra-fast charge require 30+ watt bricks and like you said no one has those. Even worse most people won't even know you need a different wall plug to make use of fast charge. Just another reason to nickel and dime the consumer and in most instances the consumer doesn't even know that they need to be nickel and dimed to take advantage of their phone's features.

First they take out the headphones, then the headphone jack, then the charger, then the cable. This is the reason I always buy Chinese phones. You get the flagship killers that offer the same specs for $300-$500 and also include things Apple and Samsung don't in the way of new technology. PLUS, they give you all the peripherals. Every phone I've bought from Xaomi, Poco, Realme, etc has included not only the charger and cable, but also a case and screen protector.

Heck, I just bought a Realme GT 5G and it has a 65 W charger included. Charges 0-100 in 27 minutes. Also waiting on a Poco F3 that also includes a 35W charger and I spent 800 total on both phones which are flagships

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
They say it's to be more environmentally friendly, but phones are getting some super fast charging, and selling it separately, when people don't have them, it just leads to people buying them and in turn, have more packaging sent than if one was in the box. It's all part of them wanting more money and nickel and diming the shit out of you.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
When you're expected to spend the ballpark of $1,100+ on a premium phone, to nickel and dime you for a fast charger is not nice at all

They know damn well many people don't have super high end fast chargers lying around, so it feel disingenuous to advertise the benefits of fast charging and just saying 'lol surely you've got one already'

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
That's a shame, the obvious solution would be to allow people to opt-in to receive a brick if you need one.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
The real environmentally friendly solution would be including it being optional and free and start an awareness campaign of "help the environment, reuse your old charger if possible."

People who have a charger can say "I don't need it, save the ewaste" and people who need one can get one without having to buy one separate.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Wasn't there an EU thing about them making it so they're not supposed to include these because of the ewaste? Back when USB-C was new and not everything had it it would have been fine for like, a generation of phone, probably two, but it's been at least 4 years now, going on 5, with phones standardizing around USB-C. The speed of your ability to charge is less meaningful than just being able to do it at all, and USB-C cables are just as easy to get and common as Micro and Mini before it.

The time it's been means that unless you were a super late upgrader you very likely already have a cable. The few people who are upgrading their phones from before C was the standard are in a relative minority and, easily, produce less waste because of it than the people who upgrade their phones literally every single year. I, myself, have more USB-C chargers than I know what to do with now, and most of them do USB-PD, to boot!

As it is, I just got my preorder for a 5A in and I'm kind of annoyed that it comes with a charger, since my wife just got her 4a last weekend to replace her 3XL. We have a charger in the living room, one in the office, one in the game room and 3 in our master bedroom (each nightstand and on a dresser). We don't need more!

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Bleh, so fucking dumb. Selling a 1k+ product and not including a charger is pretty shitty. I was planning to get a dock, but it's nice to have an actual brick and cable to use as well.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
They say it's to be more environmentally friendly, but phones are getting some super fast charging, and selling it separately, when people don't have them, it just leads to people buying them and in turn, have more packaging sent than if one was in the box. It's all part of them wanting more money and nickel and diming the shit out of you.
Apple also mentions in their website that since the box is not smaller they can ship 70% more phones per container so they are saving a shit ton of on shipping too but the phones are still the same price and I bet that's why Samung and Google are doing the same.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Glad companies are doing their part helping the environment by selling phones that are environmentally safe and not the chargers which are waaaayyyy worse. Thanks 🙏

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I have a question. When the Pixel 4 series launched, Google slashed the price by $200 for Black Friday that year. The 4 XL is the one I ended up buying so that's the phone I have now, I don't know if they did the same thing with the 5.

Does anyone believe that Google will offer the Pixel 6 series at $200 on Black Friday/Cyber Monday this year as well?

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phone looks fine, its a rectangle with a screen and camera. Cool. What I'm really curious about is the custom chip performance and if it'll allow Google to support the Pixel 6 long term. Might actually be interested in Android phones again by the time my iPhone 11 bites the dust.

I would not expect much. My guess would be the top of line(or slightly older) Samsung chip with the AI coprocessor designed by google.

I mean it will be fast enough, but I doubt it will be anything revolutionary on the classic CPU side.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I have a question. When the Pixel 4 series launched, Google slashed the price by $200 for Black Friday that year. The 4 XL is the one I ended up buying so that's the phone I have now, I don't know if they did the same thing with the 5.

Does anyone believe that Google will offer the Pixel 6 series at $200 on Black Friday/Cyber Monday this year as well?

Thats a good question. I honestly have no idea. I wonder if the chip shortages will effect deals like this or not. Maybe not if they plan to discount the prior years models that are already produced? Its hard to guess in these times. This is going to be an interesting holiday shopping season.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Thats a good question. I honestly have no idea. I wonder if the chip shortages will effect deals like this or not. Maybe not if they plan to discount the prior years models that are already produced? Its hard to guess in these times. This is going to be an interesting holiday shopping season.
do you know if they did this for Pixel 5? If they did, aside from the chip shortage, I think it is a good chance they'll do it this year too.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017

I have a strong feeling they will, as that's how I got both the 2XL and the 4 XL. It's going to be a discount, for sure, just don't know how much.

And IIRC, I think they did do a discount last year. EDIT: They did with a Verizon activation. Can't find any other info so far.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I have a strong feeling they will, as that's how I got both the 2XL and the 4 XL. It's going to be a discount, for sure, just don't know how much.

And IIRC, I think they did do a discount last year. EDIT: They did with a Verizon activation. Can't find any other info so far.
got it. so what if you are on Verizon already, what is the difference between purchasing the phone locked to Verizon and purchasing the phone unlocked and activating it with Verizon?
They did not do it for the Pixel 5. I had every intention of buying one with their usual Black Friday discount and then they didn't offer it.
well, fuck. that blows. then again the Pixel 5 was less expensive than the 4 was, so maybe that's why they didn't do it. I'd really like to not have to pay upwards of $1,000 for a new phone but I feel like I'm gonna be a sucker this Thanksgiving

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn between this and the 5a. It'd save me a lot of money, plus I really want that aux port. But the 6 looks so cool. Dang what to do

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
got it. so what if you are on Verizon already, what is the difference between purchasing the phone locked to Verizon and purchasing the phone unlocked and activating it with Verizon?

Probably about $200 if I go by last year's offerings. LOL

I'm with Verizon myself, and my upgrade time is coming very soon (November) so I'm hoping that they will have some BF/CM sales for the Pixel 6 Pro. My wife wants the Pixel 6 and I already know I HAVE to get it for her. LOL

EDIT: Article from Forbes about last year's BF sales - https://www.forbes.com/sites/jaymcg...xel-5-black-friday-2020-deal/?sh=764ea02210ff

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Probably about $200 if I go by last year's offerings. LOL

I'm with Verizon myself, and my upgrade time is coming very soon (November) so I'm hoping that they will have some BF/CM sales for the Pixel 6 Pro. My wife wants the Pixel 6 and I already know I HAVE to get it for her. LOL

EDIT: Article from Forbes about last year's BF sales - https://www.forbes.com/sites/jaymcg...xel-5-black-friday-2020-deal/?sh=764ea02210ff
I know you are joking lol but I was asking cell phone practicality and functionality wise - what is the difference between getting an unlocked phone and a Verizon locked phone, if you are gonna be on Verizon anyway?

also, thanks for the Forbes link. Hey, that's not bad. Even if I could save $50, that's something.

I love taking pictures with the Pixel 4 XL because of the astrophotography mode, truth be told that is why I'm most excited for the 6 pro. I can't wait to see how I can capture the cosmos with that phone

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I know you are joking lol but I was asking cell phone practicality and functionality wise - what is the difference between getting an unlocked phone and a Verizon locked phone, if you are gonna be on Verizon anyway?

also, thanks for the Forbes link. Hey, that's not bad. Even if I could save $50, that's something.

I love taking pictures with the Pixel 4 XL because of the astrophotography mode, truth be told that is why I'm most excited for the 6 pro. I can't wait to see how I can capture the cosmos with that phone

No problem!

And yeah all jokes aside: nothing. The only thing the unlocked phone offers you functionally wise is the ability to switch carriers when you want to. If you're already on Verizon and don't plan on going anywhere until you pay the phone off, just get the locked one. You can ask Verizon once it's paid off to unlock it for you.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
I would not expect much. My guess would be the top of line(or slightly older) Samsung chip with the AI coprocessor designed by google.

I mean it will be fast enough, but I doubt it will be anything revolutionary on the classic CPU side.

As long as performance is fine but they actually support their hardware 5+ years because they handle all the driver stuff themselves, I'm all for it. Even if Apple wasn't the ARM king I'd still be using an iPhone 11 right now because of the long term software support that Qualcomm seems to get in the way of. I Samsung to go all in on their SoCs for this reason for a long time now, I'm glad Google is starting to take this problem seriously.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know if Google's Tensor will support AV1 decode and/or encode?
I tried Googling this (no pun intended) and all I got was that YouTube is doing their own custom transcoding chip this year supporting AV1, but that's the closest thing I can find. It's of course no indication of whether Tensor will support it too
No problem!

And yeah all jokes aside: nothing. The only thing the unlocked phone offers you functionally wise is the ability to switch carriers when you want to. If you're already on Verizon and don't plan on going anywhere until you pay the phone off, just get the locked one. You can ask Verizon once it's paid off to unlock it for you.
That sounds good to me. Okay so besides this bullshit of not including the charging adapter in the box, I am excited. And I think your wife will enjoy the new phone, too.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I tried Googling this (no pun intended) and all I got was that YouTube is doing their own custom transcoding chip this year supporting AV1, but that's the closest thing I can find. It's of course no indication of whether Tensor will support it too

That sounds good to me. Okay so besides this bullshit of not including the charging adapter in the box, I am excited. And I think your wife will enjoy the new phone, too.

She better! Otherwise I'm going to be very very mildly inconvenienced. LOL

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
I hope the 6 isn't too much. Coming up on 2 years with my 7T and not really a fan of it, especially software support. Was my first non google smartphone. Minor issue, but I really miss having power and volume on one side and the silent/vibrate switch is pointless.

I wouldn't even mind the 5a if it had wireless charging.

Last edited:

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
www.reuters.com

Google brings Samsung 5G modem tech to U.S. market with new Pixel phone -sources

Google will tap Samsung Electronics Co Ltd (005930.KS) to supply the 5G modem for its next flagship Pixel smart phone, sources familiar with the matter told Reuters, signaling the first win for the Korean firm in a U.S. market dominated by Qualcomm Inc .
Aug 25 (Reuters) - Google will tap Samsung Electronics Co Ltd (005930.KS) to supply the 5G modem for its next flagship Pixel smart phone, sources familiar with the matter told Reuters, signaling the first win for the Korean firm in a U.S. market dominated by Qualcomm Inc (QCOM.O).

Earlier this month, Google disclosed that it has designed its own processor chip to power its new Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro high-end phones, ending its complete reliance on Qualcomm, which will still supply chips for the lower-priced Pixel 5A.

Nikkei Asia earlier reported Samsung will manufacture the processor for Google, a unit of Alphabet Inc (GOOGL.O). Two sources familiar with the matter told Reuters Samsung will also supply the 5G modem technology.

Samsung's move to provide the Pixel's modem technology is important because the Korean firm is one of only three companies in the world capable of making 5G modems that connect devices to wireless data networks. The others are Qualcomm, the market leader by a wide margin, and Taiwan's MediaTek Inc (2454.TW).

Samsung widely uses its Exynos modem technology in its own flagship smart phones in Asia and Europe. But it has long relied on Qualcomm to provide modems for U.S. versions.

That is in part because Qualcomm has a technology lead in a variant of 5G networking called millimeter wave, which provides the fastest speeds available with the new networks. To date, all smart phones released in the United States - including Apple Inc's (AAPL.O) iPhone - have used Qualcomm chips to tap millimeter wave networks.

Samsung told Reuters its new modem technology was capable of millimeter wave networking, and Google said its new phones will support millimeter wave networks as previous versions did, though neither company would comment directly on whether they are working together on the new Pixel.

Winning Google's Pixel business gives Samsung its first big chance to show off its chipmaking skills to the wider phone industry, which has long been wary of buying a key component from a fierce rival, said Kevin Krewell, principal analyst at TIRIAS Research.

The Korean firm has never before sold its 5G modem chip technology to an outside company.
Qualcomm in a statement said it retained its technology lead because its millimeter wave technology relied on other chips in addition to the modem. "A modem is not enough to support millimeter wave in phones," Qualcomm said.

Reporting by Stephen Nellis and Paresh Dave; additional reporting by Joyce Lee and Heekyong Yang; editing by Peter Henderson and Howard Goller

NocturneKeoni

Jul 15, 2018
I'm still rocking a Pixel 2, but I can feel the end of life already on this thing. Looking forward to upgrading after about 3 generations of Pixel phones to this newest one.

d-psipher

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still rocking a Pixel 2, but I can feel the end of life already on this thing. Looking forward to upgrading after about 3 generations of Pixel phones to this newest one.

I am/was in the same boat. But I ordered a 5A and it is supposed to be delivered today. I can't wait. My Pixel 2 held on for me but it has been showing signs that it is time to move on.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
another thing I've been wondering about the Pixel series. If I don't buy the color I want right away, will I lose my chance to buy it completely? Because I know whenever these phones came out before they sold out quickly.

I want the champaign Pixel 6 pro, but I don't plan on buying it immediately. if the black Friday deal comes around for this phone then I'll wait until then.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any news on a Google Watch? They bought fitbit some time ago and I was waiting for that #synergy.

Barrakketh

Sep 1, 2020
I picked up my 4 XL for $399 off through Best Buy's BF deal. Unlike Verizon it was applied as a down payment which was a nice perk (I could pay it off early with no penalty).

Keep an eye out on retail promos, or if you're with a US carrier see if they are offering any steep discounts on a trade-in around the holidays.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I picked up my 4 XL for $399 off through Best Buy's BF deal. Unlike Verizon it was applied as a down payment which was a nice perk (I could pay it off early with no penalty).

Keep an eye out on retail promos, or if you're with a US carrier see if they are offering any steep discounts on a trade-in around the holidays.
great. did you go into the store back then to do it? or was this sort of deal also available for Cyper Monday?

and I am on a US carrier so I'll keep a lookout there as well

Barrakketh

Sep 1, 2020
great. did you go into the store back then to do it? or was this sort of deal also available for Cyper Monday?

and I am on a US carrier so I'll keep a lookout there as well
I purchased online. When it was available I picked it up in-store, I do not trust FedEx so I wasn't going to risk it getting shipped via them.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Has there been any news on a Google Watch? They bought fitbit some time ago and I was waiting for that #synergy.

I asked the same question a little earlier in this thread. There's no information confirming that a Pixel Watch is coming out this year other than the original leak. The fact that we receiving tons of leaks an information about the new Pixel phones, but nothing new about the supposed Pixel watches leads me to believe that they aren't going to be a thing this year. I've heard some talk of the Pixel Watch potentially arriving next spring, but it's all speculation at this point.

To me personally, it would be crazy for Google to miss out on capitalizing on their new marketing shift for the Pixel 6 phones to introduce a more efficient Google ecosystem that includes the Pixel Watch.

Oct 27, 2017
Still deciding between the 6 and the 6 Pro.

Been using a 3a XL for a couple of weeks since my OnePlus 7 Pro gave up living and man, I prefer a flat display to one with rounded edges so much.