• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Reszo

Oct 31, 2017
So the battery life doesn't seem too bad to me. I have 12 hour work days and usually take my phone off the charger about an hour before I leave so after roughly 13.5 hours my phone went from 100% to about 45%. This include the occasional mobile game, YouTube, browsing the internet/discord, and listening to music.

I'm not sure what constitutes a good or bad battery on a phone but as long as my phone isn't dead at the end of the day I'm happy lol

Kozmo

Jan 5, 2018
Anyone getting the DBrand Grip case for this? I wanted to rock a dual color contrasty look on my P6P, but when I order the case it doesn't seem to give me options for the camera cut outs. I ended up ordering it separately from the Skins section. Speaking of which, would a DBrand-skinned phone still fit in the DBrand case?

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Seen this in person yesterday, after gifting my partner a Pixel 5 for Christmas last year (her Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact was no longer holding its charge all day like it used to), and I am surprised at how big the standard Pixel 6 is!

It is wider, taller and thicker — thanks to the camera bar — than the Pixel 5. The phone itself feels quite slippery too.

I do like the look of it though; very distinctive in today's world of samey looking phones … 😊

I really do want the Pixel 6 to do well, as Google makes good phones with good cameras as well as guaranteeing three years of Android updates, which is somewhat of a rarity these days (outside of iOS).

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I had to sign up for 100GB of Google One because immediately after I ported over all my shit from the 4 XL to the 6 pro, my Google account got filled up. And even then, Google says they upload all my photos in original quality, but there is no way the image below is original, right? It looks compressed as fuck

GxvVkFm4wfkYVt8spRNWemTDxvHV-dnACaXzk_Wi1nChkFlhN_h0Ur_FW32RR1cFvDtnuzHt-ICC1-4D7GKdkvfe-80A1ZZsKmBWRruO9lqk0xBNKnJFklZDaC1N-xDMbQQ_quXB3eDY4y7rzDZbfZgGhLsJcx0YuzMU91zmfem-fVwZs_uGCuvf3ETMDhV0C1bL2FbGK4ME0IERk_ZxbD04-K3eXdhP0lrcAE_ei399N_OVrui-vMvJXPSR-WpdWTNdddwMqGL8dJmctwFUQSRZYFW9v8UDaTDlmggHiBdME83iInrNN0OXj5VEC4b3vvht_NSqhORo6jH7Kf1oW4jNd2phfhp1ad61cyTUYWY9ml_jFqiPTY_b1kD-xdUVsZ44eqi3twsS86buKFwYDCDiS9AelGaN9sR_9miL3SHRMnOBjUVtoM-VtBmm-1J93Lbdt9CoM9q3q2W-EZWU2250MsT__htB4zY1OgIsw1455ZepPqnHxLXW7QCBaQtS0NmcR8_gaZ4og0fnLshsD3GRPxHGL9jj3CMOJ228HuQKF7r5O7ZAwto8q5Rpn_6cMB5v9hdKzrHuP_u2tO1VuvsRu8tjttrtSoZUXKPvCZBxcZaCUvy2CYQ6McDLnKBqgHRas57qIWY7SAzU8HlMnVD3lSRbi3Bhw_JtA6SGJmSM9OoxIegErDjQVsphyNHU6uUUj2gsqZzV3Ai0YYQfBAU=w736-h1308-no

I have used it. In fact, I'm using it right now to reply to you.
I am such a fucking moron, how do I activate it? I feel like the place where I'd go to do it will instead leave a voice note and send that, which is not what I want.

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
I had to sign up for 100GB of Google One because immediately after I ported over all my shit from the 4 XL to the 6 pro, my Google account got filled up. And even then, Google says they upload all my photos in original quality, but there is no way the image below is original, right? It looks compressed as fuck

I am such a fucking moron, how do I activate it? I feel like the place where I'd go to do it will instead leave a voice note and send that, which is not what I want.

0M9xBI1.jpg

GavinGT

Sep 28, 2020
Okay I wonder if it's just me...

But unlocking via the lockscreen has been ALL OVER THE PLACE. Sometimes from dimmed screen it'll just light up and deny, sometimes not read my finger at ALL, it just seems super duper buggy.

Yes, it's a terrible experience all around. I never know what I need to do in order to unlock my phone.

Sometimes I get a fingerprint sensor icon. Other times my phone is unlocked via Smart Lock and I get an Unlock icon in place of the fingerprint sensor. Other times I get a Lock icon indicating Smart Lock is expired. Other times I get no icon there at all.

If the fingerprint sensor is there, sometimes it won't even acknowledge that my finger is on the sensor. Other times I'll hold my finger there for an eternity and it won't unlock until I let go.

If the Unlock icon is there, it requires a tap to unlock (no holding!). So that means I have to actually look at the screen and discern which icon is there to know whether I need to tap or hold.

On all my other Pixel phones I just touch the back fingerprint sensor and the phone is on. I don't have to think about a dozen different possible states the phone could be in every time I want to turn it on.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm never typing again.

The voice typing is amazing, it only struggles with my weird Northern British slang lol

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
when I push that button it says "No permission to enable: voice typing" :(
You need to go to the app permissions for Gboard & enable Microphone permissions, Might need to do the same for the Google Voice Typing app as well.

Yeah, I'm never typing again.

The voice typing is amazing, it only struggles with my weird Northern British slang lol
I was using it a bit this morning to respond to some people on discord and it is insane how blazing fast it is. Hopefully they get other languages going so I can use it for talking to my family in spanish.

Yep, a lot of times it makes me input my PIN
They added this with Android 11 for Pixel devices and it is the most infuriating thing on earth, my phone could be completely stationary & google somehow thinks it's not in a secure area and disables Fingerprint on it.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
It's so good, like it has the odd hiccup, like me saying buds but it put birds and boats lol, but other than that, yeah it's 10x better than any other phone I've used for voice typing

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
Has anyone else started using Google Assistant more than before on this phone? I'm also loving the text dictation feature.

One other issue I've also been noticing is that sometimes the lock screen will prompt for a pin instead of the fingerprint. Also, it's kind of annoying that you have to hit enter after entering the pin.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone else started using Google Assistant more than before on this phone? I'm also loving the text dictation feature.

One other issue I've also been noticing is that sometimes the lock screen will prompt for a pin instead of the fingerprint. Also, it's kind of annoying that you have to hit enter after entering the pin.

I always used Assistant a fair amount, but now I'm dictating a lot more often than I ever have before. It's just effortless on this thing.

sigma722

Oct 26, 2017
They added this with Android 11 for Pixel devices and it is the most infuriating thing on earth, my phone could be completely stationary & google somehow thinks it's not in a secure area and disables Fingerprint on it.

Seemingly it is related to smart lock and it's timing "expiring" periodically, according to this thread?

I didn't use smart lock previously at home on my 3xl because turning it on with the backside fingerprint reader is so easy/natural, but with the new one I'd prefer to have smart lock on at home so i can tap it occasionally ESPECIALLY if the in screen lock is going to be slow. But in that case it disables fingerprint reading all together for pin, which is so frustrating. Maybe the sensitive touch option might help enough, and i'll just turn off smart lock....

It's my biggest complaint aside from the slipperyness lol. The other night i checked the time in the middle of the night, and after that the charge cable weighed it down enough to fall off my nightstand. Wife loved that.

sigma722

Oct 26, 2017
oooo just checked my fabric case shipping, and it seems like it might arrive tomorrow. Woot, shipped from china like... a week ago? #notbad

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Seemingly it is related to smart lock and it's timing "expiring" periodically, according to this thread?

I didn't use smart lock previously at home on my 3xl because turning it on with the backside fingerprint reader is so easy/natural, but with the new one I'd prefer to have smart lock on at home so i can tap it occasionally ESPECIALLY if the in screen lock is going to be slow. But in that case it disables fingerprint reading all together for pin, which is so frustrating. Maybe the sensitive touch option might help enough, and i'll just turn off smart lock....

It's my biggest complaint aside from the slipperyness lol. The other night i checked the time in the middle of the night, and after that the charge cable weighed it down enough to fall off my nightstand. Wife loved that.
I have never used Smart lock on my Pixel 5 or 6 and I still have the occasional PIN Lock. It's just a weird security thing they added if the device hasn't been used in 30 minutes or so, not really sure what the trigger for it is as it is sporadic at best for me.

sigma722

Oct 26, 2017
I have never used Smart lock on my Pixel 5 or 6 and I still have the occasional PIN Lock. It's just a weird security thing they added if the device hasn't been used in 30 minutes or so, not really sure what the trigger for it is as it is sporadic at best for me.
I just ran into it again after turning off smart lock too. Shit sucks.

I also don't think the sensitive screen setting helps the fingerprint reader time either. Kind of assuming most have tried it just got lucky the first couple times maybe lol.

ugh.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else got these smudges on nightsight in very/complete dark environments (taking a picture close to an object to make it dark like a pillow)? It's not the lens is dirty and it's always in that place for me, even after cleaning :(
Looks like it's coming from the IR blaster used to focus quickly, you can see it in the dark in front of a window/mirror.

When not close to something it should not be visible.

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like it's coming from the IR blaster used to focus quickly, you can see it in the dark in front of a window/mirror.

When not close to something it should not be visible.

Nope, it's always visible in darker areas in the viewfinder, always the same place for me. It's like dirty fingerprints, and I've seen some people with that problem already - everyone has a different "bubble" pattern :/
It's also on the pictures as a pink hue, no matter if close or far. Also, it's more visible the darker the objects are.

Last edited:

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It's so good, like it has the odd hiccup, like me saying buds but it put birds and boats lol, but other than that, yeah it's 10x better than any other phone I've used for voice typing
Phone? It's better than most dedicated voice command software for PC, even lol. I'm kinda blown away at how good it works in even German, which (at least for me) is notoriously bad at voice-recognizing literally anything, leave alone proper interpunctuation and capitalization and slang. It's great and I should use it way more often.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, it's always visible in darker areas in the viewfinder, always the same place for me. It's like dirty fingerprints, and I've seen some people with that problem already - everyone has a different "bubble" pattern :/
It's also on the pictures as a pink hue, no matter if close or far. Also, it's more visible the darker the objects are.
Looks like it's coming from this tiny IR blaster, if I put my finger on it there's no more pink hue/circle.

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, all there even if I tape down the IR blaster or everything except the camera lens :/ It's a static object.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Has anyone read Anandtech's new article on Google's Tensor SoC?

It seems like there were some bizarre changes in the underlying Samsung IP and the chip performs worse overall, and is less power efficient than the Samsung's base design and the Snapdragon 888. The larger GPU doesn't really come in to play due to the lack of good heat dissipation. The actual tensor NPU on the chip actually does excel at language processing though like Google advertised, especially compared to its competitors. Lastly, the modem is confirmed to be a Samsung modem, but it's actually external instead of internal to the SoC on the base design (likely due to the larger GPU taking up so much die space).

I'll be very interested in how Google will evolve their design with the Tensor 2. They have to ability to use slightly newer IP due to coming later in the year, so hopefully they take greater advantage of that. Have a more efficient design, and hopefully using the new Radeon IP between Samsung and AMD, would go a long way.

Besides fixing the current teething issues in the software, hopefully Google will find ways to massively improve the camera still and video quality via software updates. They also need a Pixel Watch. It's still an absolute crime that they didn't have one ready alongside the Pixel 6. The attach rate would have been sky high.

Edit: Would love to see how people's opinions on the phones evolve over time. I wasn't able to get one at launch.

brainie

Mar 30, 2019
Anyone else got these smudges on nightsight in very/complete dark environments (taking a picture close to an object to make it dark like a pillow)? It's not the lens is dirty and it's always in that place for me, even after cleaning :(
Seeing a slight bit of that too, mainly in dark areas in high-contrast situations. Could be very wrong, but my first theory is/was that googles HDR-Magic acts too aggressive and tries to pull color out of where there's no color to be seen in the moment. Maybe pulling down the shadows a bit before taking the shot could help in these situations. Or hopefully a software update. Or they fucked up bigly.

Oh well, we'll see.

The larger GPU doesn't really come in to play due to the lack of good heat dissipation
This is a weird take of the problem, it is pretty obvious that as all the processors not named snapdragon the problem is that the games are not optimized for them. With day 1ish drivers the GPU eats emulators for lunch and that is the best benchmark we have for that piece of hardware.

I did expect more power than an 888 but is not like their solution wasn't a nice trade since they are google and not a chinese company they android games will probably start optimizing specifically for what Tensor is packing.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
This is a weird take of the problem, it is pretty obvious that as all the processors not named snapdragon the problem is that the games are not optimized for them. With day 1ish drivers the GPU eats emulators for lunch and that is the best benchmark we have for that piece of hardware.

I did expect more power than an 888 but is not like their solution wasn't a nice trade since they are google and not a chinese company they android games will probably start optimizing specifically for what Tensor is packing.

It's absolutely not a weird take of the problem. Have you read the article? I just summarized the findings there.

I'm not trying to start a Tensor vs Snapdragon debate, but it's good to understand how the Tensor was actually designed and if those design decisions actually make sense. Google sacrificed die area, removing the A78 cores and internal modem from the original Exynos design, and went with less efficient A76 cores, likely to have a larger GPU. Instead of choosing the larger GPU at lower clocks to increase efficiency, they actually decided to run the GPU at higher clocks, but don't actually have the necessary cooling to keep those frequencies sustainable. Their overall design gives the impression that they sacrificed some efficiency for overall performance, but don't actually achieve the performance potential due to cooling design. The article goes into the fact that improving the cooling of the phone by using the screen itself as added heat dissipation would hurt the screen's overall repairability, which Google decided to go with screen repairability (IPhone does this as well).

The chip is still good overall. It seems from the article that their main gain from doing their custom design over going with the base Samsung semicustom design was replacing Samsung's NPU with their own Tensor NPU (and using their own custom imaging blocks).

Edit: My biggest question with the Pixel 6's design is why they didn't go with the ultrasonic fingerprint sensor that Samsung uses?

It's absolutely not a weird take of the problem. Have you read the article? I just summarized the findings there.

I'm not trying to start a Tensor vs Snapdragon debate, but it's good to understand how the Tensor was actually designed and if those design decisions actually make sense. Google sacrificed die area, removing the A78 cores and internal modem from the original Exynos design, and went with less efficient A76 cores, likely to have a larger GPU. Instead of choosing the larger GPU at lower clocks to increase efficiency, they actually decided to run the GPU at higher clocks, but don't actually have the necessary cooling to keep those frequencies sustainable. Their overall design gives the impression that they sacrificed some efficiency for overall performance, but don't actually achieve the performance potential due to cooling design. The article goes into the fact that improving the cooling of the phone by using the screen itself as added heat dissipation would hurt the screen's overall repairability, which Google decided to go with screen repairability (IPhone does this as well).

The chip is still good overall. It seems from the article that their main gain from doing their custom design over going with the base Samsung semicustom design was replacing Samsung's NPU with their own Tensor NPU (and using their own custom imaging blocks).
Was not post against you but the concept of the article, like I said we can see right now that the sheer power of the GPU is enough to do what it is supposed to do when not dependent of the game developers and they act like in Android Snapdragon is not king because the developers say so, hell there are phones with an 888 and 12 gb of ram that are not whitelisted to use the best settings.

Like do the test when the optimizations start to roll but yeah they can say that maybe the cooling will come bite them in the ass and we'll see.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
I'm assuming something to do with patents? Either Qualcomm's, or Samsung's.

I thought Samsung was using Qualcomm's underscreen sensor? Is google's optical sensor their own design?

Was not post against you but the concept of the article, like I said we can see right now that the sheer power of the GPU is enough to do what it is supposed to do when not dependent of the game developers and they act like in Android Snapdragon is not king because the developers say so, hell there are phones with an 888 and 12 gb of ram that are not whitelisted to use the best settings.

Like do the test when the optimizations start to roll but yeah they can say that maybe the cooling will come bite them in the ass and we'll see.

Not sure what you mean. Anandtech wasn't focused on individual game performance or settings profiles. They were focused on sustained output of the GPU underload (mostly using benchmarks). The GPU thermal throttles and performs on average slower than even the base Exynos 2100 design it's based on, which uses a smaller and lower clocked GPU.

The article overall is about power efficiency. The Google Tensor is pretty much faster than what most people really need. The big thing is if it's achieving its results in the most efficient manner. Of course there's a lot of software optimization that can be done to improve things like battery life and UI smoothness, but it's good to see how things can be improved on the hardware side.

Last edited:

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got the 6 Pro. Rear camera photos basically look the same as on my 4a 5G. Disappointed in the front facing camera quality....Screen is beautiful and a huge improvement. Phone seems super fast in day to day tasks.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone else get an email from google for free pixel buds?

I remember it was sold out when i pre-ordered my Pixel 6 so im glad there's another chance for me to get it

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else not getting any updates with an unlocked model from Google Store using Verizon service? There's a couple reddit threads about this, but curious if anyone here managed to get an update on their device. I'm still not on the day 1 update.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else not getting any updates with an unlocked model from Google Store using Verizon service? There's a couple reddit threads about this, but curious if anyone here managed to get an update on their device. I'm still not on the day 1 update.
Take out the sim, reboot, and thentry to update with no sim?