• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax
Anyone else get refunded after your phone shipped? My p6 shipped and tracking shows it's on the way. But Google also just refunded me today. Couple days after it shipped.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Don't remember which reviewer mentioned it, but they were suggesting that the 5G radios in 6 and 6 Pro were an older version (like 1st gen vs 2nd gen). No idea if that is true, but if they are, and they're less efficient chips, I could see that being a drain issue if you're always on 5G.

Not having a 5G phone yet, can you choose to stick with 4G, or will it automatically switch over? Might be worth a test.
Yeah, I set it to LTE only. We'll see what happens, hit I am in a really bad spot right now. I barely want to use the phone because it heats up in about 2 minutes.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm liking the phone quite a lot after a day and half with it. Definitely slippery on surfaces, bastard can't stay still when put down, but doesn't feel any more so in the hand and despite being the largest phone I've ever had I find the new swipe gesture replacements to be a great fix for struggling to reaching the Back/Home menu so actually usability is greater than my 5T or S20. Though pulling up the recent apps with long swipe up leaves a lot to be desired, wish you could program the swipes so Left and Right edges performed different tasks rather than both being Back.

Fingerprint scanner is very finnicky still doesn't always register on first touch, no good reason to have ditched the superior back scanner which also allowed for additional gestures, but Pixel 6 Pro is still wayyy faster and better than the shitty in-screen my Galaxy S20 FE work phone has. That thing is way slower to unlock.

Another small/large complaint is that Material You is very pretty but losing native support for custom Icons is fucking stupid, especially when only the Google made apps right now actually conform to the fancy color coordinating with your wallpaper. Had to jump through some hoops to make some custom icons for my home screen stuff with it that made them all match, but everything in the App List remains ugly stock icons which kind of kills me.

Beyond that the phone is smooth and fast as fuck. Startup/Reboot is stupid fast. I love it.

Hard to say on battery life so far. Doesn't seem to be draining all that fast, but haven't put it through much. Hasn't felt warm ever so far, but again haven't really done anything intensive on it. Just lots of web browsing and social apps thus far.

I was kind of freaking for a bit because WiFi was totally fucked for me and just did not work. Would connect to my network but pretty much nothing would load and it would disconnect or say "No Internet" and I didn't know what the fuck was going on. Reset the phones wireless setting, rebooted the phone and router and all sorts of stuff and nothing worked. Turns out there's a bug or just something wrong with the default privacy mode for MAC address and if you set that to your devices MAC instead of the default rotating MAC everything works fine.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tried one in person at the AT&T store. Feels snappy and smooth, but the telephoto zoom seems a bit worse than my Note 20 Ultra. The camera app does seem to open faster, though.

It's slightly smaller than the Note, which is a huge plus, and I really dislike Samsung's user interface compared to vanilla Android, so I think I'm going to switch.

Oct 25, 2017
After three days and nights with the Pixel 6, it's a nice low-end flagship. Coming from a four-year-old Moto x4, it'll buy me another four years of relative non-obsolescence.

I feel idiot about asking this but here it goes nothing...

Between the P6 (not the pro) and the OP9pro is the Pixel a fuckton ahead ?

I'm heading to the UAE next week and it's time I upgrade from my OP6t.
Not really it seems the Tensor is just a smidge below the 888 but the Pixel has a way better GPU and it comes with almost the same hardware.
The price is probably the biggest difference de OP9pro is pricy.

hitme

Oct 26, 2017
Had the pro for 9 hours now. This is my first legit big boy phone (previous phones were Pixels 2,4, older Xperias) and I don't mind the size of this at all.

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I haven't had any problems with the sensor yet. Maybe coming from a OnePlus 7t which didn't have a great fingerprint sensor? *Shrugs*

I bought a flexible TPU screen protector that came with a glass protector for the back camera. I put the glass on the FP reader to check the behaviour and scanned my fingers new(!). That thing went from 99% working on a thin TPU for me to 50% with that glass lol
No glass for me on my Pro :(

Last edited:

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
My Pixel 6 got delivered this morning and is already packed up and ready to return. Just entirely too big. I'll use the 4 for another year and hope they release and reasonably-sized phone again next year.
Been using mine all weekend and I'm feeling the same way. There's certain things I like about the bigger screen but the extra weight and bulk isn't for me. It also doesn't feel like much of an upgrade over my Pixel 5 at the moment, video quality looks better and the phone feels a bit smoother but I'm not a power user. Will see how I feel tomorrow but I think it might be going back.

sdijoseph

Oct 27, 2017
So my pixel buds are preparing for shipment on my google store order, but the pixel 6 pro keeps fluctuating between Dec 18 - Jan 22. I'm wondering what will happen if I can find the pro from a different source, and I cancel the 6 pro order from google. Will they just have me return the buds?

mauaus

Oct 25, 2017
Been using mine all weekend and I'm feeling the same way. There's certain things I like about the bigger screen but the extra weight and bulk isn't for me. It also doesn't feel like much of an upgrade over my Pixel 5 at the moment, video quality looks better and the phone feels a bit smoother but I'm not a power user. Will see how I feel tomorrow but I think it might be going back.
This sure is a chunky boy, i wish the regular 6 would actually be reasonably sized i don't mind the bezels at all but the screen is way oversized

Oct 25, 2017
Does Android's backup include text messages? If I log into my Google account on my new phone, will they just be there? I'm planning on doing a fresh set-up, no transfers but I want all my messages there.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes, depends on who is delivering it. UPS and FedEx treat the weekend differently, so those aren't "business days" if it's shipping through them.
I was very lucky that I got the delivery yesterday, but now I'm getting the feeling maybe I got a defective model. There is so much noise when I take pictures especially with the selfie camera, and when I zoom into shots they all look so blurry

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
So my pixel buds are preparing for shipment on my google store order, but the pixel 6 pro keeps fluctuating between Dec 18 - Jan 22. I'm wondering what will happen if I can find the pro from a different source, and I cancel the 6 pro order from google. Will they just have me return the buds?
I assume they will charge you for it if you don't return it.

BarrBarr

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up my phone today and I am loving it. I've played with the camera a bit and am so excited to use the telephoto more. I need to buy a case and screen protector now. I rarely ever drop my phone's, but having it naked it nerve wracking.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm probably going to be switching to the P6P after I finish my job here away from home, but only because it's a smidge smaller than my Note 20 Ultra and I prefer stock Android. I compared the cameras side by side at an AT&T store and it seemed the Note had the superior zoom, but the Pixel launches the camera app faster. I'm a bit worried about the Pixel's battery life being worse.

I'm never going to pay monthly for access to an early upgrade again, that's for sure.

But, if the next Pixels actually releases with a normal size with a telephoto lens, then it'd be a guaranteed pick for me regardless of the competition. I'd be ecstatic if Google adopted stylus support, too. But really, I just want a normal sized phone with zoom and stock Android.

GavinGT

Sep 28, 2020

painey

Oct 27, 2017
Excited to take some pics today with my 6. Still loving it. I ALWAYS go case free, but my girlfriend literally smashed my 4a out of my hand last week by mistake and smashed it to pieces, so I'm regrettably buying one for this $600 phone - especially as it's slippy as fuck. Still only let down by the fingerprint sensor.. it's my only real negative so far.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, not all that much. Just a few pics of my baby niece, but it seemed a lot better than my old phone (Samsung S10+)
got it, I haven't had the chance to use it that much and the main reason I got it was for the upgrade in astrophotography, and that feature itself is the reason why I got the Pixel 4 XL two years ago

but it feels like mine is defective, because all the test shots I've taken are noisy, the shutters are also full of noise or lines when I boot them up and zooming into the pictures I shot look madd blurry without detail

unless I'm just an idiot and I haven't set something up in the camera settings on the phone

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
Honestly my ONLY gripe so far after a full 24 hours with the Pixel 6 is the fingerprint sensor.
It really is abysmal when compared to the previous gens. I was coming from a Pixel 3 and it was 100% flawless.

Oct 27, 2017
Is there anyway to open a notication and use the fingerprint reader to unlock? With the rear Pixel it was easy. Double click the notication and when on the pin/pattern unlock screen use your finger, but with this it seems I have to use the pattern to unlock in this case

Who thought moving this thing from the rear was a good idea

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Phone's great! Tested the "cinema" recording with a few short clips of my cats and I love it :D Might even find motivation to revitalize the Instagram account I created for them once.

Only complaints:
Fingerprint sensor, since I can't get the current update I have no idea if it fixes things, due to my shitty provider.
Display feels weirdly hollow/plasticky when tapping it. One of those "once you notice" things.

That's it. Everything else is a great experience so far.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
got it, I haven't had the chance to use it that much and the main reason I got it was for the upgrade in astrophotography, and that feature itself is the reason why I got the Pixel 4 XL two years ago

but it feels like mine is defective, because all the test shots I've taken are noisy, the shutters are also full of noise or lines when I boot them up and zooming into the pictures I shot look madd blurry without detail

unless I'm just an idiot and I haven't set something up in the camera settings on the phone
The grainy view finder is a known issue but I have yet to hear anyone complaining about the photos themselves. Maybe you can post some samples from your phone here?

GavinGT

Sep 28, 2020
Is there anyway to open a notication and use the fingerprint reader to unlock? With the rear Pixel it was easy. Double click the notication and when on the pin/pattern unlock screen use your finger, but with this it seems I have to use the pattern to unlock in this case

Who thought moving this thing from the rear was a good idea

The fingerprint sensor implementation is such a step backwards in a lot of ways. But, in your case, I think you'll just need to retrain yourself to use the fingerprint sensor to unlock and then swipe down the notification pane.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Overall I'm pleased with my pro but thats mainly because I'm easy to please I guess. The screen is great, it's nice and fast and the camera is easy to use with no fuss. That's good enough for me. The battery has got a lot better after turning off 5G. And Android 12 is a pleasure. Downsides are the phone is not only big but quite heavy and while the battery is better than I initially thought it's just not impressive compare to what it could have been. Also the fingerprint sensor it's just a tad bit finicky. Still, for 899 I'd say it's worth it. The regular pixel 6 seems to be the steal.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I meant by means of the platform I upload it on before linking it here, how do I know it is in its original quality?
Oh, not sure. I think some platforms don't compress images. Flickr seems like they don't or they at least offer an option to share original size. Also google drive should be an option?

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Is there going to be a Pixel 6 OT? This threads title keeps making me think it's about just the news conference and an original announcement.

I'm a new owner of a 6 Pro that came in last week and I'm blown away. Absolutely love this phone. Upgrading from a Note 9. Would love a thread to chat with fellow owners to figure out tips and tricks to optimize my use of the device and Android 12. My partner who's been a pixel 3 owner for years shows me a few new tricks every time we sit down to look at the phone together.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Wow! Killer photos. Absolutely gorgeous.
Thanks!

Great review! Question though....what video call app are you using? Have you tried Duo? It seems to have good video quality in my experience.

I tried Duo and Whatsapp.
Can't really notice much a difference with both of them.
It's just very noisy in room lighting.

Thanks for getting back so fast with a response and such a detailed write up too! It definitely sounds and looks like there are some very lackluster things about the phone. Those bugs aren't encouraging at all. I hope there are some big updates coming down the pipeline to fix all sorts of issues. It looks like a lot of the stuff can be resolved through updates or at the very least, moderately improved through updates. I'm in a sort of similar situation where my current phone just isn't up to par so I'll be keeping my order but be wary and keep what you pointed out in mind and hope there are updates between now and when I get my phone. Thank you again for the review. Those photos look incredible!

Also, that lunch looks absolutely delicious!
No prob!
Yeah, I'm sure that the glitches I've experienced will be sorted out sometime in the future.

Hardware wise personally I think there has been some compromises to keep within a certain price.
Since flagships from other manufacturers are certainly more expensive.
But that camera does make it feel like a good deal.

I think I just figured it out...

I also had this problem and it bugged me for a long time.
Tried deleting Gboard and reinstalling, clearing its app data, changing languages/etc.

Now I just tried this and it worked.

I pressed "Delete Learned Words and Data" and now I suddenly have access to the toggle for Assistant voice typing.
Thanks for the suggestion, I was hoping it'd work but it's still greyed out. 😅

Jonnax Great in-depth review, I feel like it could be its own thread! "Jonnax reviews the Pixel 6".

With the strange hardware hiccups you've experienced, I'm wondering whether you should exchange it for another.

Michael Fisher experienced a random reboot, but said the day 1 firmware update smoothed out his problems. You have everything updated right?
Aha thanks.

So I chatted with a friend who has a Pixel 6 pro too and he described a similar experience so I'm presuming the phone isn't broken physically.
I got the day 1 update a few hours after switching on the phone for the first time.

Jonnax great post, much appreciated!
Some beautiful photos you got there. I've seen a couple of reviews mention those over processed photos the phone takes, I wonder if that something that can be improved in future updates.

Is there anyone here who upgraded / is upgrading from a small phone to the P6/P6 pro?
I'm going to be upgrading from an Xperia XZ2 Compact and I fear it may be too big for me, but at the same time I'm kind of over my current 5" screen. Just wish there was something in between, like a 6" pixel 6

Yes, I think it can be improved. Because it's all about how the photos are processed.
And it's more of a subjective thing.
The editor functionality is pretty good as well

So I went XZ1 Compact -> Galaxy Note 9 -> Pixel 6 Pro. The Note 9 and P6 Pro are pretty much the same size.
Going from the small phone to the Note 9 was quite a shift.
Balance wise it took some time to get used to, but I'm a clumsy person. It fell out of my hand quite a bit in the first couple of months.
You'll quickly get used to content on the large screen. I do a lot of reading so I prefer setting the text size to small to maximise the space.

I use my XZ1 Compact as my "bring your own device" work phone. It does feel very tiny in comparison now but I felt that the note 9 was too large initially.

You'll get used it, just prepare to drop it a few times and hopefully not onto concrete haha.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
My lock screen lights up every single time a notification comes in. Not sure how to disable that. Any ideas?