• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man so close to getting an early upgrade but watching Marquez Brownlee review the battery concerns me.

I will say Android 12's final release really screwed up the battery on my Pixel 5, even after a factory reset and full re-flash. Was on all the Beta releases and had good battery but it's absolutely tanked in the final. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some memory leaks or something creeping around that are partially behind some sources saying the battery life sucks. I'll give it a try one mine arrives, but I'm kinda hopeful a monthly update will improve things on this front.

MKBHD also famously runs his displays at 100% no-auto brightness all the time so while his stuff is good to compare with his other reviews/stats, it's not necessarily anywhere close to what the average person will see.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I will say Android 12's final release really screwed up the battery on my Pixel 5, even after a factory reset and full re-flash. Was on all the Beta releases and had good battery but it's absolutely tanked in the final. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some memory leaks or something creeping around that are partially behind some sources saying the battery life sucks. I'll give it a try one mine arrives, but I'm kinda hopeful a monthly update will improve things on this front.

MKBHD also famously runs his displays at 100% no-auto brightness all the time so while his stuff is good to compare with his other reviews/stats, it's not necessarily anywhere close to what the average person will see.

Tech radar and Toms guide also say battery not great.

I'll wait to see if a software update improves it.

www.techradar.com

Google Pixel 6 Pro review

The first top-tier Google Pixel phone

www.tomsguide.com

Google Pixel 6 battery life tested — we have bad news

The Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro last hours less than the competition

Chili

Oct 25, 2017
Received the base 6 128GB in the Seafoam colour a couple of days ago.

Coming from a Pixel 5 first impressions are:
- The fingerprint sensor definitely takes some getting used to, moreso in technique than the speed of it which is slower but not exactly painfully slow
- The fingerprint sensor flashes with an obscenely bright light when you press it, bright enough to shine through your finger/thumb and around it and its a bit annoying in darker settings. I think its just the way it works though and frankly the whole thing is a huge downgrade from what we had before.
- It definitely feels a lot more premium but overall I prefer the design of the 5 (that's just my preference for smaller phones).
- I was pleasantly surprised with how many apps transferred over all their data and settings. Google seemed to have improved this a lot.
- Battery life on day 1 was not great, I think I was at maybe 3 hours screen-on time and it was down to about 20% - a massive downgrade over my Pixel 5 (which was still on 11). I know it takes a while for Android to sort itself out but I can't see it improving that much to match the Pixel 5. I think there might actually be something wrong with my unit but I'll see how it goes over the next week or two.
- On that note it seems its not possible to easily find out your screen-on time since last charge anymore with Android 12. You can see how much you've used the screen today but that's not as useful.
- The mobile connection seems kind of spotty compared to the Pixel 5? I might just be imagining it but the connection doesn't seem as strong, I had quite a few dropouts in places I wouldn't ordinarily have issues with the Pixel 5. I had heard they had a poorer quality modem in the phone, its annoying that reviews do not look at this stuff as its pretty important.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Received the base 6 128GB in the Seafoam colour a couple of days ago.

Coming from a Pixel 5 first impressions are:
- The fingerprint sensor definitely takes some getting used to, moreso in technique than the speed of it which is slower but not exactly painfully slow
- The fingerprint sensor flashes with an obscenely bright light when you press it, bright enough to shine through your finger/thumb and around it and its a bit annoying in darker settings. I think its just the way it works though and frankly the whole thing is a huge downgrade from what we had before.
- It definitely feels a lot more premium but overall I prefer the design of the 5 (that's just my preference for smaller phones).
- I was pleasantly surprised with how many apps transferred over all their data and settings. Google seemed to have improved this a lot.
- Battery life on day 1 was not great, I think I was at maybe 3 hours screen-on time and it was down to about 20% - a massive downgrade over my Pixel 5 (which was still on 11). I know it takes a while for Android to sort itself out but I can't see it improving that much to match the Pixel 5. I think there might actually be something wrong with my unit but I'll see how it goes over the next week or two.
- On that note it seems its not possible to easily find out your screen-on time since last charge anymore with Android 12. You can see how much you've used the screen today but that's not as useful.
- The mobile connection seems kind of spotty compared to the Pixel 5? I might just be imagining it but the connection doesn't seem as strong, I had quite a few dropouts in places I wouldn't ordinarily have issues with the Pixel 5. I had heard they had a poorer quality modem in the phone, its annoying that reviews do not look at this stuff as its pretty important.

Uses Samsung modem from the S20 series

www.tomsguide.com

The Google Pixel 6 is a year behind other flagships — here’s how

Pixel 6's lower price comes with lower 5G specs

Disappointed fast charge is only 30W. Should be 45w minimum

Last edited:

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Reviews are all over the place.
yeah unfortunately this is what I'm seeing too, but the best thing that reviewers seem to point out about them is the price. The 6 series is a flagship, not the best flagship, but for the price of the lower end model it is a really good value.

tycoonheart

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I'm wondering if the reviewers who praised the battery life were on LTE.

Could be. From AnandTech's Pixel 6 review:

That's a long way of saying that the Pixel's numbers when testing over 5G are not very impressive. With its 90Hz refresh rate enabled, the Pixel 6 lasted for 8 hours and 13 minutes on T-Mobile's 5G network — That's nearly two hours shy of the average for smartphones. However, I ran that same test on my house using a Verizon SIM, where I can only pick up an LTE signal. Without the power demands of 5G, the Pixel 6 lasted longer — an average of 10 hours and 52 minutes across multiple tests. Now that's more like it.

www.tomsguide.com

Google Pixel 6 review

The Google Pixel 6 delivers the best Android experience for the money with superb cameras, a unique design and Android 12

That's more than 2 and half hour difference between LTE vs 5G.

Reszo

Oct 31, 2017
Soooon

image.png

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Could be. From AnandTech's Pixel 6 review:

www.tomsguide.com

Google Pixel 6 review

The Google Pixel 6 delivers the best Android experience for the money with superb cameras, a unique design and Android 12

That's more than 2 and half hour difference between LTE vs 5G.
It seems Google skimmed on the 5g modem. Are other 5g phones impacted by this the same way? I might just disable it on my phone since I don't care about the extra bandwidth

Fatalah

Sep 17, 2021
It seems Google skimmed on the 5g modem. Are other 5g phones impacted by this the same way? I might just disable it on my phone since I don't care about the extra bandwidth

Kind of upset that the 5G on a newly released Pixel is not as fast and efficient an iPhone 13, which is in the same price range. Some of us only upgrade every 4 years, darnit!

I guess the Pixel 6 price makes up for it, but if you're buying a Pro, you should expect the latest modem tech.

dsripley

Sep 24, 2019
Mine says this too, but just wondering how true it is after the message we got last night. Not sure if I'm thinking too hard about it, but every Best Buy around me currently says "none in stock, order now and pick up Nov 2"... I just really hope that doesn't mean that preorders are also delayed that long! Fingers crossed the message last night was a mistake or something and the app is telling the truth about getting it today!

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
Mine is out for delivery! A little worried about battery life but I'll run it through my own tests over the next few days and see if it really affects me. Excited to have a flagship again after the 4a.

Kozmo

Jan 5, 2018
Is there something wrong with the P6P's optimizations that can't be fixed with a software update? Part of the reason iPhone Pro Max's battery life is so amazing is because of the way Apple optimized the variable refresh rate on the screen. This is conceivably something that Google could match, no? They both use LTPO tech in their screens. The fact that the regular pixel 6, with the non LTPO screen, outlasts the pro is a testament to this, isn't it?

5g might be another big factor, but not sure if software can fix that.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Fedex don't fail me now. Tracker says it should be delivered any second now, but the last update of location was in Chicago 24 hour agos and I'm in Long Island... Normally Fedex and UPS are pretty up to date with their tracker info in my experience, it's USPS that'll go dark for extended periods and have random delivery dates and then just appear on my doorstep days ahead of their estimates.

Doby

Oct 25, 2017
Is there something wrong with the P6P's optimizations that can't be fixed with a software update? Part of the reason iPhone Pro Max's battery life is so amazing is because of the way Apple optimized the variable refresh rate on the screen. This is conceivably something that Google could match, no? They both use LTPO tech in their screens. The fact that the regular pixel 6, with the non LTPO screen, outlasts the pro is a testament to this, isn't it?

5g might be another big factor, but not sure if software can fix that.
I don't know if it's true or confirmed, but I read the Pro bottoms out at 60Hz even though they advertised it as doing 10-120Hz.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it's true or confirmed, but I read the Pro bottoms out at 60Hz even though they advertised it as doing 10-120Hz.
I saw that in the subreddit, but it was coming from the dev mode overlay which can't go lower than "60" it seems, so it's useless to inform if the screen goes lower or not, and maybe that overlay forces the screen to be at least 60. I've read that it was the same for some Samsung phones that can go lower.

Doby

Oct 25, 2017
I saw that in the subreddit, but it was coming from the dev mode overlay which can't go lower than "60" it seems, so it's useless to inform if the screen goes lower or not, and maybe that overlay forces the screen to be at least 60. I've read that it was the same for some Samsung phones that can go lower.
Oh ok, yeh I think I read it there. I can't remember where I've read what over the past 2 weeks.

Chili

Oct 25, 2017
The Pixel 5 was the first phone I never had to even think about the battery. With the 6 initially I thought it might be back to babying it through a heavy day. Today has been better though. 2 hours screen time and down to 70% so that's encouraging but I've been on WiFi.

Cerun

Jun 9, 2020
Still waiting for best buy to say if my order is ready.. Can't even call the store to ask as they only have a national call line now.

AmigoTaco

Oct 27, 2017
Was there an update from Google about the free headphones promotion that many people, myself included, missed on adding to their orders?

OP
OP
GK86

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Phone was delivered. Phone feels nice in my hand. Definitely a slippery phone. My case doesn't arrive until tomorrow.

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered from the Google Store, my phone has been sitting in the Carol Stream FedEx since Monday. Anyone else going through something similar? I really don't understand what would be the hold up.

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just played around with it for 2 hours. Such a great device with great haptics. 90% there with iPhone haptics. So smooth, fluid. I'll never go back to MIUI crap again!!
The on the fly translation in-app is one of the most amazing things ever. I fall in love very soon lol

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Are battery improvements something that could be improved overtime with updates or something?

I don't know why I'm worried. My current battery right now is complete ass and I need to charge it 2 to 3 times per day and my phone dies at about 30% battery remaining. Lol. I think its cause it is a big purchase but I should just bite the bullet. Its way past time for an upgrade.

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I left with the Pixel 2XL and don't know if other Pixel had it, but THANK GOODNESS you can now wake up the screen with one tap instead of double tap 🥳🥳🥳

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
If pixel 6 pro the best android phone in the market?
The front camera is terrible for video calls.
I thought my phone was faulty but my friend also got his and has the same issue.

It's like a 2015 webcam.

The tensor processing only works well on photos because it's not realtime.

Video is also dubious because it can't spend a second or two on processing the images.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
The front camera is terrible for video calls.
I thought my phone was faulty but my friend also got his and has the same issue.

It's like a 2015 webcam.

The tensor processing only works well on photos because it's not realtime.

Video is also dubious because it can't spend a second or two on processing the images.
Does it make you regret purchasing or its not that major and just a big annoyance/shortfall?