• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
Going to try contacting them tomorrow because on the fi app, it's saying you're supposed to get an email for some promo code for the buds.

Free is free lol

Also somehow my brother is getting $250 bucks back for trading in his Pixel 5 yet I'm somehow supposed to get $400.

🤷‍♀️

So I contacted them tonight via chat and although they can't modify an existing order, they told me to place a new order for the Pixel Buds and email them back with the order number to get it refunded. However, the promotion where the free Pixel Buds should be in the same order is technically for the unlocked version, and one of the phones I got was the Fi version. I purchased it from the Google Store instead of through the FI site or app. Here's hoping I get the promo code for the buds for that order? Let me know what they tell you when you contact them...

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
When I placed my order yesterday (Google Store) I had a ship date range of late November. Late last night that moved to next week, which was nice. Checking again this morning and now it's listed as Dec 7-8.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I contacted them tonight via chat and although they can't modify an existing order, they told me to place a new order for the Pixel Buds and email them back with the order number to get it refunded. However, the promotion where the free Pixel Buds should be in the same order is technically for the unlocked version, and one of the phones I got was the Fi version. I purchased it from the Google Store instead of through the FI site or app. Here's hoping I get the promo code for the buds for that order? Let me know what they tell you when you contact them...

The details of the Google Fi promo to get the buds seemed pretty clear to me:

Promotion Terms - Google Fi

Simpler pricing and smarter coverage, from Google.
  • To redeem the credit, you need to:
    • Pre-order and purchase a Pixel 6 or Pixel 6 Pro from fi.google.com by 10/27/21 at 11:59pm PT. This includes Pixel Pass subscription members.
    • You will receive an email with your promo code and redemption instructions on 10/28/21. If you purchase multiple eligible devices, you will receive one promo code per device.
    • Redeem your Pixel Buds A-Series from store.google.com by 11/10/21 at 11:59pm PT.

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
The details of the Google Fi promo to get the buds seemed pretty clear to me:

Promotion Terms - Google Fi

Simpler pricing and smarter coverage, from Google.
  • To redeem the credit, you need to:
    • Pre-order and purchase a Pixel 6 or Pixel 6 Pro from fi.google.com by 10/27/21 at 11:59pm PT. This includes Pixel Pass subscription members.
    • You will receive an email with your promo code and redemption instructions on 10/28/21. If you purchase multiple eligible devices, you will receive one promo code per device.
    • Redeem your Pixel Buds A-Series from store.google.com by 11/10/21 at 11:59pm PT.

I guess I'm shit out of luck then because I ordered the Fi version from the wrong Google storefront? That's pretty shitty.

I didn't really have time to familiarize myself with all the nuances of each offer, I was too busy trying to get any order to go through :(

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm shit out of luck then because I ordered the Fi version from the wrong Google storefront? That's pretty shitty.

I didn't really have time to familiarize myself with all the nuances of each offer, I was too busy trying to get any order to go through :(

Wait... are you saying that because you didn't order through the Fi site\app you won't get that email on 10/28?

WTF... that's dumb as hell.

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
Wait... are you saying that because you didn't order through the Fi site\app you won't get that email on 10/28?

WTF... that's dumb as hell.

I don't know. You said the promotion is pretty clear, and I didn't order from fi.google.com so who knows? That's why I asked the other poster to let me know what they say when they contact them.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Argh I'm really torn between the regular and pro.

Is a zoom lens and slightly better performance worth an extra £250?

I mean, I would *imagine* the Pro probably has improvements in speakers, haptics, build etc. as well as camera and VRR/120fps that add up to something, but it doesn't seem worth 250 unless you specifically want multiple things from that list.

Which I do :) I'm expecting the Pro to have a lot of "little" improvements that add up to a lot.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
You have to add the buds to your cart first, then it will apply the deal. It doesn't seem to let you know beforehand which is very stupid
Hmm.

I saw a promo ad on Google's website that said they'll send me a code but you have to use it by mid November. And they go out on October 28th or something.

But it's not clear and Google left a lot to be desired yesterday. All these 'leaks' and it still seems like they were unprepared.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a reason why Google in NA has worse / more diffcult to get deals for the preorders?

I would love to understand why in Germany (or all of Europe?) gets over-ear-headphones worth some 250 bucks and can easily just go to preorder at their retailer of choice and still be eligible for the promotion, where in NA it's looking much more messy for a (imo) worse promotion with the Pixel Buds.

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
I'm somewhat surprised my Amazon order is still in tact. I put mine in and immediately shared the link with someone and they said it was out by the time they looked. Has anyone's gotten cancelled on them yet?

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
I'm somewhat surprised my Amazon order is still in tact. I put mine in and immediately shared the link with someone and they said it was out by the time they looked. Has anyone's gotten cancelled on them yet?
Mine is still there. I will wait until the reviews are out to decide whether to keep it or cancel it. I'm having a bit of buyer's remorse because my phone is working fine (even though it's a bit long in the tooth) and spending a cool 1k because of new phone fever doesn't seem like the greatest of ideas right now. Let's see how I feel by next week. When does the review embargoes lift?

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
Mine is still there. I will wait until the reviews are out to decide whether to keep it or cancel it. I'm having a bit of buyer's remorse because my phone is working fine (even though it's a bit long in the tooth) and spending a cool 1k because of new phone fever doesn't seem like the greatest of ideas right now. Let's see how I feel by next week. When does the review embargoes lift?

Monday it looks like.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Going to try contacting them tomorrow because on the fi app, it's saying you're supposed to get an email for some promo code for the buds.

Free is free lol

Also somehow my brother is getting $250 bucks back for trading in his Pixel 5 yet I'm somehow supposed to get $400.

🤷‍♀️

When I went through the GOogle Store, I got a $400 quote for my perfect Pixel 5. When going through the Fi store, it's $250. So weird. Also the Fi store does not let me complete the order because I already have Google One, YouTube Premium, and Fi. But, the regular store let's me do it (I haven't gone through with it yet)

Rokuren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
On the topic of heating Ars's article on the tensor core did mention this:
So the first question for the Google Silicon team is: what's up with this core layout?

Carmack's explanation is that the dual-X1 architecture is a play for efficiency at "medium" workloads. "We focused a lot of our design effort on how the workload is allocated, how the energy is distributed across the chip, and how the processors come into play at various points in time," Carmack said. "When a heavy workload comes in, Android tends to hit it hard, and that's how we get responsiveness."

This is referring to the "rush to sleep" behavior most mobile chipsets exhibit, where something like loading a webpage has everything thrown at it so the task can be done quickly and the device can return to a lower-power state quickly.

"When it's a steady-state problem where, say, the CPU has a lighter load but it's still modestly significant, you'll have the dual X1s running, and at that performance level, that will be the most efficient," Carmack said.

He gave a camera view as an example of a "medium" workload, saying that you "open up your camera and you have a live view and a lot of really interesting things are happening all at once. You've got imaging calculations. You've got rendering calculations. You've got ML [machine learning] calculations, because maybe Lens is on detecting images or whatever. During situations like that, you have a lot of computation, but it's heterogeneous."

A quick aside: "heterogeneous" here means using more bits of the SoC for compute than just the CPU, so in the case of Lens, that means CPU, GPU, ISP (the camera co-processor), and Google's ML co-processor.

Carmack continued, "You might use the two X1s dialed down in frequency so they're ultra-efficient, but they're still at a workload that's pretty heavy. A workload that you normally would have done with dual A76s, maxed out, is now barely tapping the gas with dual X1s."

The camera is a great case study, since previous Pixel phones have failed at exactly this kind of task. The Pixel 5 and 5a both regularly overheat after three minutes of 4K recording. I'm not allowed to talk too much about this right now, but I did record a 20 minute, 4K, 60 FPS video on a Pixel 6 with no overheating issues. (I got bored after 20 minutes.)
Quoted the context, but bolded the part specific to heat. So it didn't overheat in scenarios previous pixels did, but doesn't necessarily exclude running warm in general I guess.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Preordering phone might not be as stupid as digital games,
but yea.

Yes, maybe. But considering I'm getting a nice deal for a trade in, and a £350 pair of headphones, it makes sense. Besides, I ordered from the Google Store, and they've been really easy to deal with with other purchases in the past. I even got a full refund for my Nexus 6P when it was 1 and a half years old. So I'm not worried.

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious if this Pixel will finally be the phone Google gets right, or if there will be some fundamental flaw as always on launch that causes the Pixel phone to be relegated to unknown status among the masses.

Seems to be selling well so far, from what I can tell.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious if this Pixel will finally be the phone Google gets right, or if there will be some fundamental flaw as always on launch that causes the Pixel phone to be relegated to unknown status among the masses.

Seems to be selling well so far, from what I can tell.

The fact that it's being sold in so many different places and different providers right off the bat is a great sign that they learned from past mistakes.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
When I went through the GOogle Store, I got a $400 quote for my perfect Pixel 5. When going through the Fi store, it's $250. So weird. Also the Fi store does not let me complete the order because I already have Google One, YouTube Premium, and Fi. But, the regular store let's me do it (I haven't gone through with it yet)

Yeah, it's such a mess lol

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Now that the thread isn't going as insane as before:

Can I get a Pixel 6 shipped to Finland somehow? What's my best bet?

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
My pixel 6 pro case from caseology just arrived today and it's great quality for the price. Feels great. What's interesting is that I tried to fit my Pixel 4XL in the case and it fit. Like the buttons work and everything lol. I was surprised as I thought the pixel 6 pro would be significantly larger but it's not.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My pixel 6 pro case from caseology just arrived today and it's great quality for the price. Feels great. What's interesting is that I tried to fit my Pixel 4XL in the case and it fit. Like the buttons work and everything lol. I was surprised as I thought the pixel 6 pro would be significantly larger but it's not.

This is great news, because the 4XL is already quite big. But I was kinda hoping it would be so, and the size increase wouldn't that massive, even though the screen in bigger on the 6 Pro, since the 4XL has some thick bezels.

OP
OP
GK86

GK86

Oct 25, 2017

Which one did you order, Vault or Parallax?

Juturna

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally get to rid myself of this Pixel 3XL...if I never have to stare at this screen notch again, it will be too soon.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Goddammit, I'm really trying to not go buy a new phone because I don't need it, lol. I was hoping something about a Pixel Fold (if there really is one) would be revealed. I've been using a secondhand LG G8 for a year and change now and it's... perfectly fine even though LG's dead/no updates forever.

Are there any P6 Pro reviews out yet, or is it still embargo season for another day or two?

OP
OP
GK86

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Goddammit, I'm really trying to not go buy a new phone because I don't need it, lol. I was hoping something about a Pixel Fold (if there really is one) would be revealed. I've been using a secondhand LG G8 for a year and change now and it's... perfectly fine even though LG's dead/no updates forever.

Are there any P6 Pro reviews out yet, or is it still embargo season for another day or two?

Reviews hit Monday.

If you are on Tmo, I think they will give you $600 for the LG G8.