• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ArtemisLunar

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 13, 2018
As of December of last year, I've used my 6 Pro, and my impressions are mostly positive, except for the Pixel 2 XL that I had before; I think my P6P has been a tremendous solid phone with a ton of potential.
Positives:
-The excellent camera system, the primary camera is one of the great (for me) on the market, wide it's weak compared to the competence, but the telephoto is impressive, still very far from the S22 Ultra X10 zoom, but still very versatile and helpful.
-Tensor it's not perfect, and I've suffered from overheating recently. However, it's still powerful enough never to slow down the device under any conditions. It is still far from being the ideal competitor to the snapdragon or even iPhone's A-series, but it's a good start.
-RAM management, even with the 12 GB, I feel the pixel does an excellent job managing the apps in the background; it has been an infrequent occasion where the apps reload on me, making the experience much more fluid and quicker.
Mixed:
-Fingerprint sensor, being honest? I'm not annoyed with the sensor, it's miles better than the sensor used on Note 10, and even if I have some issues sometimes, I really mind; also, with June's update, I feel the sensor is more responsive
-Modem, even if I'm one of those lucky people who hasn't got any issue with the modem, I cannot deny that this is one of the most problematic aspects of the phone so far; I had some similar problems with my old Note 10 where I dropped calls, lose signal and even have constants disconnections from the wi-fi, which are annoying and one of the reasons I upgraded to the P6P and makes me feel the pain of those who suffer from this "low-quality modem."
-Android 12, I LOVE how Android You looks and feels, but some changes feel unnecessary, like the buttons on the notifications area, a ton of "nothingness" spaces, and no more custom fonts, among others.
Bad:
-Weight, the Pixel 6 Pro is a heavy device, which, compared to my backup P1, makes it feel like it was paper.
-Bugs, Android 12 was a buggy mess, with some functions not working, the phone behaving weird, and some on, June's update has helped a lot, and even the Android 13 beta has a ton of those issues solved, but I cannot deny how bad the launch of the phone was.
-Hot, hot, HOT, as I said on the tensor part, the phone tends to be hot, A LOT, but only in some scenarios or weird times: I can play Diablo Immortal for an hour, and the phone feels warms, like any device playing any game, browse the web, play some tunes, connect my Airpods, and even my Pokeball and the phone still feels fresh, but other times I can browse 10 minutes and the phone gets hot, I don't know what could the cause of the issue, or there's still some optimization to be done on some areas of the chip, but the phone can get hot.
-Internal size in Canada, for some reason, the store only had the 128 GB model with the other colors besides black. I didn't want to have another black device in my life, so I decided to choose size instead of more space...and boy, I think I chose poorly; granted, this is mostly my fault. I question why 256 GB is not the standard size for every phone, mostly where apps are getting bigger and bigger.

For those looking to get the device, I will strongly recommend to do it, there has been some decent deals with the phone in the USA, and overall it's a really good phone, if you're afraid to get a lemon, I would suggest to wait for the P7 line.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd been waffling forever and got a 20% off Pixel 6 email from Google this morning so decided to finally bite the bullet. If anyone else is looking, keep your eyes peeled for an email :)

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
So I haven't noticed and just noticed today, if I shake my phone (6 pro)...lightly I hear something that is loose. Supposedly the is something called VCM for the optical zoom...is this true?

Last edited:

beat

Oct 28, 2017
Just got one after years on a too-old phone where I was using AOSP Launcher, a pretty basic launcher, but I liked it. It let me have my Home screen in the middle, rather than on the left, and the app drawer had an option to jump to any letter of the alphabet. But it doesn't seem to be available for Android 12. What's a nice, simple launcher that has that?

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just got one after years on a too-old phone where I was using AOSP Launcher, a pretty basic launcher, but I liked it. It let me have my Home screen in the middle, rather than on the left, and the app drawer had an option to jump to any letter of the alphabet. But it doesn't seem to be available for Android 12. What's a nice, simple launcher that has that?
Try Microsoft Launcher, it has many options and the app drawer have letters to jump to, and you can make any screen be the Home one (just add a new screen and click the house icon to make it home).

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
This phone is lottery dependant? I just bought a 6 pro for a great price that I have to return. The phone gets hot from doing menial tasks, the finger print sensor is no good, and worst of all the wifi signal keeps disconnecting. Didn't even out in my sim card, it's going right back. I guess I'll use my 3xl for a bit longer and try to purchase an iphone

RUFF BEEST

Jun 10, 2022
Toronto, ON
Been using a Pixel 6 Pro since Xmas in a dual-sim configuration and maaaaaan it sucks. Horrible reception on both lines, battery draining to death every day just by virtue of leaving it on. Definitely not something that it was built to handle well. :(

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Firefox has hung up and reset my phone twice today. What gives.

Oh god, I've had this too, though not nearly as frequent as that. I assumed it was because I was running the nightly (which I'd REALLY like to not do except I basically turn into an idiot without the pull-down-to-refresh feature and it hasn't landed on the release branch yet).

beat

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think I've gotten my phone unusually hot for no reason, but we're in a heat wave right now where I am and if I try to do anything dumb like just scroll Twitter for ten minutes, the phone regularly gets up to 42C*. It gets unpleasant to even hold.

* according to a little battery widget app

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
I know this is a Pixel 6 thread, but I'm curious if people had thoughts about what Google's plans are with Tensor seeing that Samsung's going almost all in with Qualcomm, seeing that the Exynos 2200 underperformed (even with the expensive deal with AMD for graphics)?

It's weird to think that Google are basically using older Exynos designs while Samsung is not looking to have Exynos revitalized until 2025 at the earliest. The even bigger concern comes down to modems. Will Samsung continue to invest in their modem designs, or will Google need to purchase an external Qualcomm modem chip with the Pixel 8 and later?

On a separate note, is anyone planning to get the pixel watch? Not sure how competitive it will be the latest Galaxy watches. It looks like the Galaxy watches will have a better processor and more screen realestate.

beat

Oct 28, 2017
It's weird to think that Google are basically using older Exynos designs while Samsung is not looking to have Exynos revitalized until 2025 at the earliest. The even bigger concern comes down to modems. Will Samsung continue to invest in their modem designs, or will Google need to purchase an external Qualcomm modem chip with the Pixel 8 and later?
The Tensor is basically an Exynos + custom Google NPU, right? Couldn't they bolt that NPU into some other ARM design? Does Qualcomm offer semi-custom chipmaking like Samsung?

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
The Tensor is basically an Exynos + custom Google NPU, right? Couldn't they bolt that NPU into some other ARM design? Does Qualcomm offer semi-custom chipmaking like Samsung?

As far as I'm aware Qualcomm does not do semi-custom designs.

Google's design for the Tensor 1 has more modifications to the Exynos 2100 outside of the NPU. It uses two X1 performance cores, instead of one, and two A76 cores, instead of A78 cores. I believe it also has a larger GPU.

It would have been interesting if they upgraded to the the Exynos 2200 with the Tensor 2, but it looks like it's going to largely be the same. I really hope the chip has a much more competent modem this go around at least...

Last edited:

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017

Google's design for the Tensor 1 has more modifications to the Exynos 2100 outside iofthe NPU. It uses two X1 performance cores, instead of one, and two A76 cores, instead of A78 cores. I believe it also has a larger GPU.

It would have been interesting if they upgraded to the the Exynos 2200 with the Tensor 2, but it looks like it's going to start largely the same. I really hope the Chip had a much more competent modem this go around.
I miss my Pixel phones sometimes, but man I will not go back to Google until they can get their custom chips sorted and start leading instead of playing catch-up.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
I miss my Pixel phones sometimes, but man I will not go back to Google until they can get their custom chips sorted and start leading instead of playing catch-up.

I've been having somewhat similar feelings. I used to be a Nexus/Pixel diehard, but Google has been making it really hard to justify paying flagship prices for their devices when their specs and software often don't even compete with Samsung, let alone Apple.

Fatalah

Sep 17, 2021

Google's design for the Tensor 1 has more modifications to the Exynos 2100 outside of the NPU. It uses two X1 performance cores, instead of one, and two A76 cores, instead of A78 cores. I believe it also has a larger GPU.

It would have been interesting if they upgraded to the the Exynos 2200 with the Tensor 2, but it looks like it's going to largely be the same. I really hope the chip has a much more competent modem this go around at least...

The Pixel 7's modem has been confirmed to be a newer Samsung model. Thank goodness.

9to5google.com

First details of Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro come roaring out: 2nd-gen Tensor, new Samsung modem

9to5Google has uncovered concrete details of the Pixel 7 and 7 Pro, including the devices’ codenames, Tensor chip, and Samsung modem.

Rewrite

Oct 26, 2017
Fontana, California
I never tried any of the Android betas before, but today I downloaded the Android 13 beta and it's been working pretty awesome for me. It's smooth, love the media player, and extra customization colors. This is what Android 12 should have been at launch IMO!

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Sooo I have Always On Display disabled because I don't like it. But when I have my Pixel 6 on my desk, I notice that sometimes, after getting a notification, the screen just stays on, as if AOD was enabled, until I press the power button twice to wake it up and set it to sleep again. Is anyone else getting the same issue? Very frustrating. I have AOD disabled to save battery, I don't want it to randomly enable itself.

GoodGamerGuy

Nov 15, 2017
Anybody has issues with audio in the camera? My mic is very quiet and muffled. 3rd party apps like what's app and Snapchat have no audio in video at all.

However I know the microphone is fine because I can do audio recordings and they sound fine.

Not sure what the problem is

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody has issues with audio in the camera? My mic is very quiet and muffled. 3rd party apps like what's app and Snapchat have no audio in video at all.

However I know the microphone is fine because I can do audio recordings and they sound fine.

Not sure what the problem is

Is it definitely the same mic doing the audio recordings?

NightOnyx

Oct 25, 2017
My Pixel 3XL finally died on Monday so I had to get a new phone. I've loved my Pixel and wanted to stick with them, so I ended up getting a 6 Pro. Unfortunately, I wasn't super happy with it, mostly due to the size and weight of it, as well as the curved display corners and the speakers. Most of my complaints are probably due to going from the 3XL that I've had for almost 4 years now to a bigger phone and I probably would have gotten used to it over time but decided if I was paying that much for a phone I should be completely happy with it, which I wasn't.

So I ended up going back and exchanging it for the 6a, since it's so much cheaper and the size was so similar to the 3XL, and honestly, I couldn't be happier with it and much prefer it to the 6 Pro. I can hear my calls better and my typing felt a lot better as well, which were big problems for me with the 6 Pro. Also, things like the 60hrz display and the camera don't bother me since it's what I've been using on the 3XL and I think it still takes very good photos. Actually, almost everything about it is a bit of an upgrade to the 3XL, like the amount of RAM, the better battery, and obviously using the Tensor chip helps with the performance as well. The two things where it's worse is the screen, which is only 1080p compared to the 1440p of the 3XL, but I think it still looks great and I'm happy with it. The in-screen fingerprint reader is such a downgrade though compared to the back fingerprint reader on the 3XL, but sadly that's just how pretty much every phone does it now. Overall though, I am thrilled with the phone and I highly recommend it, especially as a cheaper option.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Got a Pixel 6 a month ago and I'm mostly happy with it, but it doesn't feel as huge an upgrade from my 3A as I'd like.

Swiping the side of the screen to go back is really annoying me though. There are other functions that require swiping from the side of the screen (for example cropping a pic) and I go back by mistake and it's very frustrating.

What's worse though is that my charger stopped plugging all the way into the port, and I can't work out why.
I cleaned it and it looks fine, tried a few chargers and none of them go all the way in but do all got my 3A fine.
They said they can't repair it without wiping the phone which I don't want to do. Anyone else had this issue?

beat

Oct 28, 2017
Swiping the side of the screen to go back is really annoying me though. There are other functions that require swiping from the side of the screen (for example cropping a pic) and I go back by mistake and it's very frustrating.
Some people say you'll get used to it, but I have no desire to get used to a change I didn't ask for. So (1) I turned 3 button navigation back on. Now, the back button is in the wrong place (for me) and I can't switch it easily, so then (2) I downloaded a navigation bar app that'll let me put the back button on the right side.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Got impatient and sideloaded the OTA. I think I understand what the beta users were going on about, this definitely feels much more refined and overall smoother.

Instantly noticeable downside is setting a custom Gboard vibration feedback level with touch feedback at system level disabled results in simply no vibrations at all while typing. On 12 this would work

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So it looks like Google just went ahead and unified the haptics stuff in 13 so if I disable it from the system settings side and try to mess with it in Gboard, it just doesn't work. 😩

That aside I've been using it more throughout the day and yeah, 13 is smoooooth.

Odd still nothing here.
It's gonna be a staged rollout over the coming days/potentially weeks. I'd recommend sideloading if you're familiar with it just cause how much faster the install is when sideloading compared to OTA.

Rewrite

Oct 26, 2017
Fontana, California
Yep, stable release is fantastic just like the beta was.

If you were opt into the beta, don't forget to opt out once you're on stable 13 otherwise you'll continue being enrolled for future betas.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
I'll wait even though I'm impatient. Normally I get rollout quick. Was just surprised not this time.
Yeah, usually I get the update early. So far no update. And I just tried to sideload the update and it got stuck at 8% for a good 10 minutes so I disconnected the phone and restarted it. I think I'll wait for the OTA. 😅