• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
ScatheZombie

ScatheZombie

Oct 26, 2017
I think like most laws, the plaintiff would actually have to press charges for it to even go to court. I can't see all of these gaming companies throwing money at their legal departments to go after thousands of streamers.

Well, yes and no.

There's a certain degree of power and control companies can muster with just 'the threat of' action without ever needing to take it.

Nintendo has already gone after thousands of streamers and often been successful - and this would give them even more legal backing to do so.

And they may not have to go after individual streamers if they can target Twitch, Youtube and Facebook for basically allowing felonies to be committed on their platforms. And then these companies are forced to radically change their platforms, ban users, etc - which Twitch is already starting to do with just DMCA.

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
I could understand if they're going after people streaming NFL games illegally, but absolutely insane that copyrighted material in an instagram story would count as a felony.

Deleted member 19782

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't expect anyone except music companies and Nintendo to actually bother with this. Dinosaur companies gonna dinosaur unfortunately.

c4a.gif

Thought this was going to be an RIP Stadia thread.

That was dead on arrival /s ...?

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
I find it hard to understand this. A lot of the people that actually stream are given the material from the publishers themselves lol.

So who is actually against the streaming of certain material?

I get people streaming paid events, like say boxing matches for people to view for free not being allowed.

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't this also include Trump rallies and those Trump supporters that stream them? Once people realize this it will be DOA, no way Trump will pay broadcasting rights fees.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
This shit is what happens when old people without a decent grasp of technology are in charge of legislation.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I could understand if they're going after people streaming NFL games illegally, but absolutely insane that copyrighted material in an instagram story would count as a felony.

imagine if they use youtube-esque content detectors

"OPEN UP ITS THE POLICE. WE'RE HERE TO ARREST YOU BECAUSE IN YOUR LAST INSTAGRAM VIDEO ABOUT YOUR TRIP WE DETECTED TIKTOK FROM KE$HA PLAYING FAINTLY IN THE BACKGROUND BAR. SURRENDER RIGHT NOW CRIMINAL SCUM"

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the main takeaway is "unauthorized streaming". As long as a publisher or developer allows their games (which, most likely, they would for marketing/advertising) for streaming I think it will be fine.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is fucked up and frightening, even if video game companies are the least likely to take advantage of this.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
I think the main takeaway is "unauthorized streaming". As long as a publisher or developer allows their games (which, most likely, they would for marketing/advertising) for streaming I think it will be fine.

i feel like getting a permission to stream in the terms they have in mind would be far more complicated than a publisher having to be openly against streaming a la nintendo or atlus

plus, according to most terms of service people never read before going for a game, streaming is kinda not really permited despite them saying so to the public

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But to make it a felony?

Any game streaming done that's not within the confines of Twitch/Facebook/Youtube is going to disappear.

Ah well I'd like to see Facebook, who pretty much own the biggest social media platforms in the world, be fine with that. They would probably sign a cheque to make it all go away.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
I imagine game companies will just give blanket permission to stream, they'd be stupid not to

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
And with so many big companies "donating" to this new law. Fucking nonsense is what it is. It's people who don't understand technology, but accept bribes from those who don't care about anything else other than making money.

So there goes the fair use law as well.

We could almost replace Congress with competing GoFundMe's at this point.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
what's really fucked is that literally every video game is a copyrighted work and this has been a ticking time bomb for years, it's just now happening because the RIAA finally caught wind are a bunch of pricks and the us legal system is glacial when it comes to understanding tech. only way out is if Twitch and or individual streamers buy blanket licenses for music streaming to save their ass and only major streamers will be able to afford that shit. it's a racket.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Better start saving your favourite lets plays to your disks, folks
Soon they will be ILLEGAL, lost media that will be worth more than gold, and the cybercops will be busting your houses looking for the criminal watching John Wolfe playing Amnesia

Ashler

Oct 27, 2017
So... I'm not quite sure how law works in the US, but is streaming movies a Felony?

I always read that "Reproduction of this content without authorisation"...blabla. How does that work in the US?

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
And they may not have to go after individual streamers if they can target Twitch, Youtube and Facebook for basically allowing felonies to be committed on their platforms. And then these companies are forced to radically change their platforms, ban users, etc - which Twitch is already starting to do with just DMCA.

Yeah, that's the bigger concern. Companies aren't worried about people committing misdemeanor copyright infringement on their platform. No one gets charged with being an accessory to a misdemeanor. But felonies? That's a whole different situation. It wouldn't surprise me if under those circumstances only games that had granted blanket licenses to the platform were allowed to be streamed, and any other games would be banned.

That being said, items are added and removed from spending bills all the time. I'm sure Amazon and Google have lobbyists that are pushing to have this removed.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Altus after finding out you streamed the new Persona:

https%3A%2F%2Fapptrigger.com%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F04%2FPersona-5-Prisoner-Of-Fate-850x560.jpg

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
streaming indie games is about to get huge

"sure vinny you can stream my game" and watch as the interest in the game comes pouring in

Oct 27, 2017
What's the difference between a "let's play a game" video and a "let's watch a movie" video? Games don't hold copyright for streaming and movies do?

Untogether

Oct 29, 2017
what's really fucked is that literally every video game is a copyrighted work and this has been a ticking time bomb for years, it's just now happening because the RIAA finally caught wind are a bunch of pricks and the us legal system is glacial when it comes to understanding tech. only way out is if Twitch and or individual streamers buy blanket licenses for music streaming to save their ass and only major streamers will be able to afford that shit. it's a racket.

I lived in Bangkok for a couple of years and it was a relatively common sight to see Police arrive in bars and clubs asking for the evidence of the licenses you need under Thai law to play copyrighted music in public. No bars paid for that license obviously (they were all stealing the feeds for televised sports, there's no way they're paying for music licenses) and so 'tea money', bribes to you and me, ended up in the pockets of the cops.

This smells of exactly the same type of grift.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
So... say if I was living in America, I wanted to stream to my sister (who is in another state at the time) so we could chat over a game together, which is perfectly acceptable on a couch, I'd be doing a felony?

What if I wanted to stream my game to a friend who is better at game than me so they can give me tips? Illegal too?

If so, that's fucking crazy. In a time when we can't be together, to cut a way people be together.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I did want some definitive rules about streaming to be written down finally so we can get out of this murky grey area but not sure this is the result I would have picked.

There's definitely stuff to be ironed out but I agree that this ain't it.
The FCC has nothing to do with it. This is basically taking copyright violations from a misdemeanor to a felony and setting up a court to deal with the new law.

Now will it pass? Probably not.

Yeah, as fucked as the US government is I'd be shocked if this passed. I feel like stuff like this gets proposed less because they think it will pass or is a good idea and more to just check the temperature or try to sneak one past the goalie.