• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
Wow...

What would happen if say, Twitch moved its HQ to EU or UK or something, would that make that bill useless then? Or no difference?

deadman322

Oct 29, 2017
ah finally the music industry will be saved and all those small music acts will be able to completely live off their music, because of this.

/s

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All this does is make streaming more of a straight advertisement and gated behind regulations like TV. You will still have twitch streamers like Ninja who are backed by corporations, but this will kill a lot of smaller content creators who can't get deals.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Everything about this is disgusting. Making a huge and horrific change to copyright suddenly slipped into a pandemic relief bill. Fuck every one of these people, Dems and Reps. Money speaks only for money.

May 26, 2018
All this does is make streaming more of a straight advertisement and gated behind regulations like TV. You will still have twitch streamers like Ninja who are backed by corporations, but this will kill a lot of smaller content creators who can't get deals.

Ooh, here's a fun near-future science-fiction thought. These kinds of laws could make companies so hesitant to host un-licensed content that merely uploading anything might be handled beforehand with a white list, not afterwards with a black list. What's this mean?

That you need a thumbs up from a higher power for that "stream/upload content" button to be unlocked. So unless your account is vouched by a company, no more streaming everyday shit by default — no one wants to wade through that per-moment licensing nightmare. It's why t-shirts and whatnot get blurred when tv shows shoot behind the scenes material. So instead of handling the impossible amount of content from regular folk, they'll just drape a blanket lockdown. What might be the side effect? Besides reshaping the face of YouTube and Twitch?

Facebook locks down photos and videos from common people. Twitter locks down photos and videos from common people. All public content hosting becomes curated. Personal content is only sent through email or private messages because common content has been de-platformed.

No more mass streaming of protests. No more streaming when you get pulled over.

Not because the government is directly stopping you, but because no one wants to host unapproved data.

Nice and clean, 20 minutes into the cyberpunk dystopia....

Disclaimer: This is entirely speculative fiction and may not be what transpires.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Ooh, here's a fun near-future science-fiction thought. These kinds of laws could make companies so hesitant to host un-licensed content that merely uploading anything might be handled beforehand with a white list, not afterwards with a black list. What's this mean?

That you need a thumbs up from a higher power for that "stream/upload content" button to be unlocked. So unless your account is vouched by a company, no more streaming everyday shit by default — no one wants to wade through that per-moment licensing nightmare. It's why t-shirts and whatnot get blurred when tv shows shoot behind the scenes material. So instead of handling the impossible amount of content from regular folk, they'll just drape a blanket lockdown. What might be the side effect? Besides reshaping the face of YouTube and Twitch?

Facebook locks down photos and videos from common people. Twitter locks down photos and videos from common people. All public content hosting becomes curated. Personal content is only sent through email or private messages because common content has been de-platformed.

Not because the government is directly stopping you, but because no one wants to host unapproved data.

Disclaimer: This is entirely speculative fiction and may not be what transpires.

The main reason this worries me, despite your disclaimer, is precisely because it is very much in the ruling class's interests to see this stuff happen.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I see a few different outcomes from this:

Most streamers will play on mute unless they know for a fact the music/sound effects present in a game are either fair use or the developer/publisher has made sure they won't be DMCA'd

I could also see games moving away from licensed music since you're effectively cutting off the ability for marketing if people have to play the games muted for the stream.

The other issue we run into is sound effects and art. There have been a bunch of bot initiated DMCA takedowns due to a sound effect resembling sound from a movie or song.

The fact the most recent Fortnite end of season event had a licensed song and every major streamer was told to mute the game in certain moments is just fucking insane to me.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

This. The whole point of the law is so corporations can better control and profit off of online media instead of independent sources. Social media, YouTube, twitch, etc were the Wild West where regular people could find success; that success is now locked up behind a wall that only corporations could climb and utilize. It's 100% a play to protect corporations and kill the internet as a revenue source for individuals.

We are one step closer to ISP signing deals so that you can only use certain streaming services and devices on it. Imagine a future for Comcast can strong arm Sony into profits of PS+ or else no more PSN access via Comcast cables.

BlueKaty

Nov 30, 2020
If this goes through when will we see the effects of this? Immediately? A few months from now? And can this be turned over after the fact?

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
This won't impact Twitch at all unless there are people on the service that are streaming commercial productions for a profit...

Twitch has a LOT of issues, but this probably won't be one of them.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Probably a lot of over reactions happening at the moment. Sure this could bring in changes but the death of streaming? The streaming platforms probably heard rumblings of this and havent seemed too overly bothered by it. They will find ways to work amongst the rules. That's what they have high paid legal teams and developers for.

I'm figuring a lot of game developers and companies want their games streamed and will work on allowing or accommodating it either in the initial contracts or as someone above said they will own the tracks used in game. Also music companies may look for an opportunity to sell playlists for streamers and we've already seen music artists/djs having ok'd for their tracks to be streamed on twitch.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the ruling class is just doing everything in its power to cripple and depower the common folk in anyway they can. Can't even have streaming. Holy shit, this is vile.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

I know you're posing this as a dystopian hypothetical, but this is already happening; and I expect it to keep happening.

I'm not sure if it will go as far as requiring executive approval to keep uploading, but I won't be surprised if companies like Youtube, Twitter, and Twitch start requiring valid government-issued photo IDs to even make accounts anymore (and keep current ones active) in a couple of years. That way it makes you 100% liable for any infringement and easy for the companies to go after you. And it also makes you a target for law enforcement should you stream police brutality or mass protests. Political activists that can't afford good lawyers are screwed.

And monetization? Yeah, I fully expect that to be a 100% manual process with far less people being able to earn money in the future. Anything that contains a product/service not owned by the user will need express permission (also can be given by blanket permission like what exists on Twitch) from the company that owns said product/service.

So yeah, it may not go quite to the lengths you describe, but I can see it getting somewhat close. I think the days of social media being as open as it is now are over. It's been trending this way for a while now.

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
Republicans are up to their usual shit, no surprise there. However, shame on the democrats for allowing this to get through the house negotiations in the first place.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
question: how does this work on youtube? i have a number of videos that have copyright claims for music snippets, and so the respective owners technically own the content, and profit off it. It really doesn't make sense to criminalize something corporations are already effectively controlling...?

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine any video game companies willing to sue or file charges against a streamer. Seems counter productive as these content creators are a part of the industries marketing machine. What will they replace it with? Tv ads?

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Dan Ryckert is going to jail.

Dude will either walk right back out of there a free man within the first week due to some brazen idiocy, or be merked within the first hour of arriving for being told not to mess with that particular gang called "The Wolves" and saying out loud, "I could probably fight a wolf".

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not American, but if you are American, write your congressperson to share your thoughts about this bill. They don't read Resetera so they won't know your opinion unless you share it with them.
Ah yes who will they care about me or huge donations from corporations?
We are powerless in the states.

ZmillA

Oct 27, 2017
sounds like a nothing burger for streamers. Having said that, the Iron Chef Japan channel and Anthony Bourdain channel seem to be the exact kinds of things that could go away. They are literally just streaming copyrighted shows.

greenhadoken

Oct 28, 2017
I see the 'slippery slope' argument here, but aside from that could someone explain why we're so upset over this? As a musician this seems like a win

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
I can't imagine any video game companies willing to sue or file charges against a streamer. Seems counter productive as these content creators are a part of the industries marketing machine. What will they replace it with? Tv ads?
Nintendo would love to shut down streaming and control it in every way they can.
they would shutdown any melee or brawl mod that they could.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo would love to shut down streaming and control it in every way they can.
they would shutdown any melee or brawl mod that they could.
If they really wanted to couldn't they just shut streams down now? This doesn't really change that.

This seems more aimed at things like Kodi (or better yet the sites you use with Kodii) and not Twitch/YT .
Yeah, from what I've seen it's not for legal sites like twitch.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Dude will either walk right back out of there a free man within the first week due to some brazen idiocy, or be merked within the first hour of arriving for being told not to mess with that particular gang called "The Wolves" and saying out loud, "I could probably fight a wolf".
He would do exactly that, and still walk right back out but as the Leader of "The Wolves" (and all other gangs in the prison as well), plus somehow won a car and 50.000 bucks in the process.

None of these fuckers read anything. They have aides do it all and just brief them. They don't do Jack shit all day besides posture and play games.

Well that would indeed suck :/