• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On August 17 2021, Internet Explorer 11 (IE11) will no longer be supported by Microsoft's 365 applications and services.

However, its support for IE11 with the Microsoft Teams web app will end slightly earlier on November 30 this year.

The news was announced by Microsoft on Monday (August 17).

The tech giant explained that after the above dates, customers will have a "degraded" experience or will be unable to connect to Microsoft 365 apps and services on IE11.

It also said that for degraded experiences, new Microsoft 365 features "will not be available", or certain features may "cease to work" when accessed via IE11.

IE11 will be replaced by the new Microsoft Edge, which is said to be "faster, efficient and cleaner".

More at:
vulcanpost.com

Goodbye Internet Explorer: Microsoft To End The Browser By August 2021

Microsoft is ending the 25-year-old browser.

Refresh if old

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
giphy.gif

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

It's useful for legacy websites. One of the big things about firefox when it came out was that it was actually going to follow web standards. IE didn't, and as it was dominant webdevs had to write to make their sites work on IE rather than to standards. IE compatibility view is the only way to make some of that crap work, so it's still used a lot in the business world. Plus silverlight sites.

I think only people with old computers who are not tech savvy use it though. and even then a lot of them use chrome as google have been tricking people into using chrome for years now.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
If this follows typical MS patterns of trying to phase out old systems for new ones, we will still have IE kicking around in 2 decades after enough people complain "No, wait - we actually still need this! I mean, we could do what the rest of the world did and update from old legacy applications & systems and train on new, universally supported versions/alternatives but that's a lot of work we don't want to do so back off.".

Seriously people PowerShell is so much better, embrace it!

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
And yet, I'll still be asked to make our web products IE11 compatible. Fucking garbage.

Oct 25, 2017
In my office we still use IE11 for certain applications that do not properly support modern browsers. I yearn for the day it is truly gone.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
If this follows typical MS patterns of trying to phase out old systems for new ones, we will still have IE kicking around in 2 decades after enough people complain "No, wait - we actually still need this! I mean, we could do what the rest of the world did and update from old legacy applications & systems and train on new, universally supported versions/alternatives but that's a lot of work we don't want to do so back off.".

Seriously people PowerShell is so much better, embrace it!

That's why they've added IE into Edge
www.theverge.com

Microsoft is building Internet Explorer into its new Chromium Edge, adding new features

New privacy and collections features are coming to Edge.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Too many people still use IE. I work on games that still have a Facebook gaming presence and we have enough customers still on IE11 that we have to keep 2 versions of the games working so we can keep these customers playing in Flash and everyone else upgraded to HTML5. (IE11 does not play well with some HTML5 features).

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Web developers rejoice! One less browser to worry about compatibility issues for

Deleted member 20471

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just want to say that I've been using Edge for the last few weeks and I'm loving it, it consumes a LOT less battery than Chrome. If you use a notebook you need to give it a try.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
Fucking yeeeeees

Fuck IE

I know a lot of businesses still use IE but as a vendor you could then at least argue that IE is officially unsupported and dead.

(Fwiw I don't have to deal with customers/clients still using IE, but some of mine still use old Edge (non-chromium) and that's also kind of a pain)

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
That's why they've added IE into Edge
www.theverge.com

Microsoft is building Internet Explorer into its new Chromium Edge, adding new features

New privacy and collections features are coming to Edge.
I completely forgot that this was happening, thanks for reminding me <3 - I'm divided on whether I think it's a good thing or not. At some point it just needs to be taken off life support, and folks have been given plenty enough time to see what direction the wind is blowing at this point. I still maintain that it's been a long time coming for corporations to finally start rewriting old proprietary web apps, or just switching to newer commercial alternatives.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
No shit these news saved me a bunch of work just last wednesday

One less evergreen browser i have to care about

pez2k

Apr 21, 2018
This is just Office 365 support for IE11. IE11 in Windows 10 isn't going anywhere.

Exactly, IE11 is still supported until Windows 10's end of life. However, if Microsoft themselves are not supporting the browser in their web applications, it makes it much easier for other companies to argue that they don't need to support the browser either, so it's a big step forwards in general.

Dropping IE support on a website also means that ES5 can be laid to rest as IE is the only major browser not supporting ES6, so a lot of old compatibility shims and non-native module systems go out of the window and the amount of Javascript code decreases by quite a large percentage, speeding up websites and lowering bandwidth usage.

While it's not a firm death for IE, it's at least a big opportunity for other companies to stop supporting it on their own websites too, with positive consequences.

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
Usage_share_of_web_browsers_2009-2017_from_StatCounter.png

If there ever was a chart that perfectly embodied the phrase 'out of the frying pan into the fire', this would be it, lol.