• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
The Lightbringer series is solid and I found the books enjoyable. The world building isn't the greatest but the magic system felt unique enough and I enjoyed the frequent twists.

Last book was just released and the series is finished. Very enjoyable ride.

Here are 2 more under the radar recs

13616278.jpg

The Traitor Son series (finished) is a very well written and researched book. Very epic military/mercenary fantasy. I even had to look up some of the words. The author really knows his arms and armor.

20887238._SY475_.jpg

It's not the Three Musketeers, but it is as if a modern day author took the concept and wrote a similar type of story.

Last edited:

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Great thread, I've added a few new books to my "want to read" list!

Not sure if these are under the radar, but here's my recommendations that I haven't seen listed yet:
  • All Systems Red (Murderbot series, 5 books) - Martha Wells. This is tightly focused story, so if you're looking for space opera, this may not be for you. I loved the characters and the pace. Fun, funny, and a fast read.
  • Halo (as in the game) book series. If you're a fan of the games, you may like the novels. I've really enjoyed the ones written by Eric Nylund, Greg Bear, and Joseph Staten.
  • Robot and Foundation (and Empire) series - Asimov. Probably not under the radar, but this combined saga is probably one of my favorite stories ever. For those that haven't read, I'd start by reading these in the order they were written.

machine

Oct 25, 2017
The War Against the Chtorr series by David Gerrold (the author of The Trouble with Tribbles) is really good. The first five books were written several years ago and Gerrold is in the process of writing the concluding books after a long delay. The basic premise is that earth is slowly being terraformed by alien life that out-competes native life. Presumably there is an intelligence behind it but so far they haven't made an appearance and it's simply man attempting to survive and adapt in an increasingly hostile environment. Unfortunately the books are currently out of print although he has indicated prior books will be released digitally when the new books come out.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
even if you don't like the stories his writing is magical- like a cross between Tolkien abd James Joyce - I read the Sun/Urth books frequently and Wizard/Knight is a children's fable of sorts about a true-hearted, truly good boy who is transported to a world where his natural instinct of chivalry grants him a great destiny and he grows into a man so gradually and seamlessly that you forget from time to time how his journey started.

One other subjective oddity- I can't escape from the jarring impression that Hugo from Street Fighter is either accidentally or deliberately evocative of Baldanders- the giant from New Sun. I know his real inspiration is Andre the Giant but his appearance and animation and the cramped quarters of his room in his first appearance are forever how I imagine him when re-reading.

1dcR4i7.png
I haven't read the Wizard Knight books, but I've read a lot of his others. He's probably one of, if not the best living American writer.

I am reading Robin Hobb's Assassin/Rainwilds novels right now. They're great but hardly what I'd consider "under the radar". They're new to me, and they're wonderful. I will have to get to the other Gene Wolfe novels after. Thanks for the tip! :)

Zareth

Oct 25, 2017
I have been listening to the Twin Born Chronicles on Audible. It has been pretty enjoyable so far.

Some other recommendations are:

The Powder Mage Trilogy
Red Rising Saga
The Riyria Revelations Series
Expeditionary Force Series
Lightbringer series

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've about 50 pages left in the third book of this series. They're really good imo.

Remembrance_of_Earth%27s_Past_trilogy_book_covers.png

I admit to becoming frustrated at the stupidity of the people and aliens and the to and fro cadence is started to feel like World War Z but they're essential reading.

in a way it reminded me of A Deepness in the Sky/Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge- also worth a read.