• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing Google kill nest secure this week, they gave that 3 years. Stadia needs to turn this around asap

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Trolling
People here really hate stadia for reasons.

people don't hate it, they just love to laugh at it because it's a hilariously terrible service that was launched without any foresight or planning yet has somehow cultivated like, fifteen intensely loyal supporters across the internet who keep desperately lying to themselves and others that stadia is good, actually, because as a dad i don't have time to game but thanks to stadia i can now play a grindy, endless loot based game like destiny 2 anytime i want and also my spouse would be furious at me if they knew i was playing video games so i, a grown ass man, have to sneak around and play my video games on the sly, which stadia is perfect for

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
tenor.gif

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing Google kill nest secure this week, they gave that 3 years. Stadia needs to turn this around asap
I was thinking about that too and almost made the same prediction. But Google recently invested in ADT, so I think that's more likely the reason for Nest Security getting the boot.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
This is a good example of why the "Google graveyard" crap is overblown. I have a Nest Secure system and I don't care that they announced they are deprecating it. It will still work for the foreseeable future. I am not out anything as a result of them deciding not to manufacture this product anymore. I am not losing out on content I purchased because I didn't purchase any. And they are integrating the tech from this line into something else, the same as they do with just about everything else they deprecate.
people don't hate it, they just love to laugh at it because it's a hilariously terrible service that was launched without any foresight or planning yet has somehow cultivated like, fifteen intensely loyal supporters across the internet who keep desperately lying to themselves and others that stadia is good, actually, because as a dad i don't have time to game but thanks to stadia i can now play a grindy, endless loot based game like destiny 2 anytime i want and also my spouse would be furious at me if they knew i was playing video games so i, a grown ass man, have to sneak around and play my video games on the sly, which stadia is perfect for
If you are calling it hilariously terrible, I can only assume you, like almost everyone on this site who talks shit about it, have never actually used it. It's a great service with a flawed business model. But kudos for including some toxic masculinity in an already ignorant post.
It's entirely plausible that Google could shut down Stadia and their internal game development before her studio ships anything.
No it is not. They are operating on exactly the timeline and schedule that they said they'd be on a year ago.

We ask about the timing of Google just now ramping up its game development efforts with the Montreal studio. Given the nature of AAA dev cycles, couldn't Stadia's fate as a success or failure already be determined by the time the key titles are finally ready to launch?

"It is a long term view that Google is taking," Raymond stresses. "For a big bet and a huge new IP that's going to fully leverage the cloud, it may be several years. But we do have quite a few exclusive games in the works that will demonstrate some of the exciting things about the platform all along the path. It won't be four years before gamers get to see the new exclusive, exciting content. There will be some coming out every year, and more and more each year."

As she explains, Google has "a spectrum of bets" it's working on, each with a different time frame. At first, Raymond concedes Stadia's lineup will be mostly third-party games, perhaps a few with some slight changes from other versions or Stadia-exclusive features. After that will come the second-party games from independent developers.

"Initially we're going to have some interesting indie-style titles we sign and they might look a little different, or take advantage of a YouTube integration, or have a different role for a streamer," Raymond says. "But they won't right away solve every problem or uncover every possibility of what cloud-native gaming is going to open up."

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
It's entirely plausible that Google could shut down Stadia and their internal game development before her studio ships anything.

Seems unlikely, they just announced their second studio in March with Shannon Studstill (Sony Santa Monica).

I'd actually be really surprised if Google killed this in the next couple years, it's one thing to shut down an RSS reader or a chat app, it's another to invest in deploying hardware in all their data centers, building multiple studios, and hiring legit talent just to flush it all because you didn't make an immediate return in a very high value, very hard to crack industry. And they do have a tech advantage, at least as of today, compared to xCloud and PS Now.

But of course who knows?

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017

I stand by my comment lol

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
OOF you summarized r/Stadia

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like Google gets gaming even less than Apple does. But on top of that they don't seem willing to spend money on the content acquisition side to get games that would turn heads. I suspect this will end up another Google product that quietly gets shut down in a year.
I'm really happy with Apple Arcade, which I resubbed to last month in order to play The Last Campfire. Since then I've played World's End Club (which I know is "incomplete"), Word Laces, Shinsekai, Inmost, Creaks, What The Golf, and others. Really excellent content for $5/mo.! I really wish Google had gone with a subscription service that doesn't just drip-feed the freebies every month. You can get good free games with Epic and actually pay $0 for those.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really happy with Apple Arcade, which I resubbed to last month in order to play The Last Campfire. Since then I've played World's End Club (which I know is "incomplete"), Word Laces, Shinsekai, Inmost, Creaks, What The Golf, and others. Really excellent content for $5/mo.! I really wish Google had gone with a subscription service that doesn't just drip-feed the freebies every month. You can get good free games with Epic and actually pay $0 for those.

I subscribed at launch to Apple Arcade, but the cadence of quality releases dropped drastically after that. Then they signaled a switch away from high-quality indie titles to more traditional mobile titles. Now they seem to be pivoting back to more of the original purpose, so if they continue that I might resub. But like I was saying, at least Apple is willing to pay for good titles to come to the platform, something that Google seems uninterested so far in doing.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I feel like the biggest potential right now for Stadia lies in a surprise F2P multiplayer hit that catches on with the Twitch community.
Something like Pac-Man or Bomberman with a high player count where streamers can set up their own community games very quick and everyone can join in because they don't need to download anything. Have good gameplay on the level of Tetris 99 or Mario 35 and cosmetic microtransactions and people will play.

Have streamers pay for lobbies and let people play for cosmetics.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Pac-Man battle royale if done well would be a system seller worthy game for me. Unfortunately, I'm not currently in a supported country so I can't play it.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The exclusive Iimmortals demo
I am jealous of the Immortals demo. But I would never start using Stadia just to try it out. They need to make some real, actual moves or fade away.
The exclusive Immortals demo is actually brilliant. The service is free, the demo is free, it's a game lots of people are interested in, it should get more people to at least give Stadia a try.

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like Google gets gaming even less than Apple does. But on top of that they don't seem willing to spend money on the content acquisition side to get games that would turn heads. I suspect this will end up another Google product that quietly gets shut down in a year.

Microsoft must be pushing devs to sign exclusivity over to them when they pay to bring their titles to Game Pass. This reminds me of the quote from the Bethesda founder, "What Microsoft has, Sony [or Google, Amazon, etc.] can't have."

I think we're going to see Netflix-style content exclusivity wars box some competitors (lol) like Google out. For someone like me who can give a rat's ass about cloud gaming, I really hope this doesn't affect the games coming to Game Pass - although I ultimately think that Microsoft's 1st party stuff alone justifies the subscription costs.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
This is a good example of why the "Google graveyard" crap is overblown. I have a Nest Secure system and I don't care that they announced they are deprecating it. It will still work for the foreseeable future. I am not out anything as a result of them deciding not to manufacture this product anymore. I am not losing out on content I purchased because I didn't purchase any. And they are integrating the tech from this line into something else, the same as they do with just about everything else they deprecate.

I don't even know what to say to this

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
No it is not. They are operating on exactly the timeline and schedule that they said they'd be on a year ago.
Being that it's been a year since that comment and little (nothing?) that she said would be coming in the relative short term has come to pass...

There's been no YouTube integration, little to no Stadia-exclusive features, no "second-party" games whatsoever... I dunno.

I'm not saying Stadia is a bust. It's just looks kinda iffy still. I hope I'm proven wrong.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
For a demo that doesn't even cost me time to download it I'm pretty satisfied with random Pac-Man. I like it better than Bomberman tbh.

Really excited for Humankind though.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
3 days of announcements. 3 games announced the 1st day.

So we could see around 9-12 games in total. The questions are: How many of these games would be new? How many of these would be first party?

If I'm not mistaken, these are the studios of Stadia Games and Entertainment division:
  • Montreal studio, established on October 24th 2019.
  • Typhon Studios, acquired in December 2019.
  • Playa Vista, Los Angeles, Studio opened in March 2020.
So, replying to my own question, I don't think Stadia is going to show any first party game anytime soon. Of course, it depends on how many developers these studios have and when they started making games.

Any acquisitions? well, Google has money and an acquisition is always posible. But for what Google has shown these pasts months, is that they don't really care about the service (my own perception). So no, ( maybe an small developer like Typhon Studios) but I don't think Stadia has the freedom to spend Google's money.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
If I'm not mistaken, these are the studios of Stadia Games and Entertainment division:
  • Montreal studio, established on October 24th 2019.
  • Typhon Studios, acquired in December 2019.
  • Playa Vista, Los Angeles, Studio opened in March 2020.
So, replying to my own question, I don't think Stadia is going to show any first party game anytime soon. Of course, it depends on how many developers these studios have and when they started making games.
Yeah, I think people tend to forget that Stadia essentially launched itself into the global pandemic, with their earliest studio having worked only 3-4 months before things went bad, so based on that alone I wouldn't put high hopes on any big first party games any time soon.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
Come on, Skyrim! Appear dammit!

After Microsoft acquired Zenimax, I don't thing Bethesda is going to support the platform anymore. Specially with the amount of money Microsoft is putting on the Xbox Game Pass and xCloud.

And, I don't think is the same situation as Xbox putting their games on PlayStation or Nintendo. While Microsoft and Sony had to coexist which each other for a long time now, I don't think Micorosoft is interested in helping Google consolidate their own space inside the gaming industry.

Oct 27, 2017
All I want is to see something that is only possible via game streaming. That's all I want.

But we'll probably get other weird exclusives like Bomberman or any project that could fit on any platform, and is just held back by Stadia.
during Stadia's first presentation they talked about the instant jump in from a YT gaming stream. And a 'buy' button on youtube and stuff. Was any of those features ever implemented?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Seems unlikely, they just announced their second studio in March with Shannon Studstill (Sony Santa Monica).

I'd actually be really surprised if Google killed this in the next couple years, it's one thing to shut down an RSS reader or a chat app, it's another to invest in deploying hardware in all their data centers, building multiple studios, and hiring legit talent just to flush it all because you didn't make an immediate return in a very high value, very hard to crack industry. And they do have a tech advantage, at least as of today, compared to xCloud and PS Now.

But of course who knows?
Yea.. I see it less as a sunk cost thing, since Google isn't afraid to move past things that they can't continue. But rather, I do think there are ways to pivot from here that potentially still leverages those learnings. Microsoft pivoted from UWP gaming, but they didn't kill Windows Store or PC Game Pass in the process.

After Microsoft acquired Zenimax, I don't thing Bethesda is going to support the platform anymore. Specially with the amount of money Microsoft is putting on the Xbox Game Pass and xCloud.

And, I don't think is the same situation as Xbox putting their games on PlayStation or Nintendo. While Microsoft and Sony had to coexist which each other for a long time now, I don't think Micorosoft is interested in helping Google consolidate their own space inside the gaming industry.
Heh damn, you said this far more succinctly than I did in that other competition thread. Yea. MS will work with Sony, even if they won't put their exclusives on PS5. In contrast, they're not even extending a handshake to Google (or likely Amazon).

Oct 28, 2017
Stadia is really fun from a technology standpoint in my opinion. It works well and I have a pile of purchased games on there ready to demo to friends and family what I call "The Future of Gaming" ie cloud streaming and my VR headset.

But none of them run out to buy a Stadia controller after that, and to me it's just a cool demo of how awesome some other future service will be. I haven't gamed on it for more than an hour total without other people around. If they get a great exclusive maybe that will increase but it will never be a primary platform for me.

Originally I wanted it to be a path to get by next gen until console revisions, but when it came out and all it's teraflops played games worse than my One X despite their 4K marketing it instantly just became a tech demo only to me. If Stadia ever ends up in that Google Graveyard in my opinion it will be because apparently no one at Google knew who Digital Foundry is and that they were going to count pixels and check claims.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
By my count, that's announcement for Orcs Must Die 3 DLC, and a Stadia version of Arc Survival Evolved, with re-confirmation of Outcasters and a Stadia version of Humankind.

So, yeah, even more of a nothingburger than yesterday. The Humankind announcement would have been notable had Stadia themselves not spoiled it yesterday. This really should have been a Stadia Connect rather than being spread out over three days.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Double post, but Good Stuff Day 3 is up:

New Stadia timed exclusive Young Souls is a weird dungeon crawling game that trailer seems to be pitching towards the Life is Strange audience, which I won't think will work, a Stadia version of Phoneix Point will be released in the new year, a new Baldur's Gate 3 trailer and confirmation of the Imortals Fenyx Rising demo.

The fact that this is a double post kinda tells us everything. To repeat myself: these three days of announcements really should have been bundled together as a Stadia Connect, and even then it would be underwhelming. As it stands, they've got very little in the pipeline, and I see no reason to invest into the Stadia ecosystem compared to buying one of the two new consoles.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
I just can't see what Google could announce that would help them in any way. Literally they could announce they bought EA or Ubisoft, but would people dump their main consoles for Stadia streaming even then? Nope. Would it matter to 'casual' gamers who don't already own a console? Nope.

What is left?

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't see what Google could announce that would help them in any way. Literally they could announce they bought EA or Ubisoft, but would people dump their main consoles for Stadia streaming even then? Nope. Would it matter to 'casual' gamers who don't already own a console? Nope.

What is left?
I think there is a segment out there that would forgo buying new hardware if Stadia could provide a reasonable equivalent without the need for a console or PC.

The problem is that Stadia doesn't have the library, and even if it did, it just doesn't render the games in a good enough quality. The streaming technology is really good, but even if the games were being run locally, the quality settings Stadia renders at are too low. Too many games are 30fps with low-ish quality settings. And that's by current gen standards. I'm sure they have a plan for next-gen titles and server-side hardware upgrades but they haven't messaged about it at all.

When the new consoles come out the quality differences are going to be really stark. A lot of Stadia fans are eagerly waiting for Cyberpunk, but I think it's going to be a disaster for Stadia - 30fps and low quality settings. Compare to streaming on GeForce Now which will have DLSS and RTX, or compare to whatever quality settings the next gen console versions get, it's going to be a bad look.

I like Stadia - it's the easiest/most seamless way to stream games by far. I think the subscription is a pretty good value too - it's like Playstation Plus except with way more games every month. But the quality settings always bring the experience down for me, and that's about to get worse.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i just think the people running stadia's marketing have no idea what gamers want or how to get them excited. even if all they had was these announcements, they revealed them in the most boring, cringey and non-exciting way over 3 days.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
i just think the people running stadia's marketing have no idea what gamers want or how to get them excited. even if all they had was these announcements, they revealed them in the most boring, cringey and non-exciting way over 3 days.

The creative director of stadia is currently very busy tweeting at streamers about how they should pay publishers whenever they stream a game.

--edit (my mistake, he is *a* creative director of one the studios google set up to make stadia games, not a google bigwig)

Last edited:

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Looking at the exclusives they choose to fund I can't find any rhyme or reason behind their choices

ReverseFate

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty underwhelming announcements, and having them spread out in 3 different days made it even worse. But all things aside, the absolute worst part of these announcements were the cringe-inducing youtubers fringing excitement in obviously forced ways.

The last announcement video with the guy yelling "this is crazy" to a Boulders Gate 3 trailer, a game that has already been on the service for the past 2 weeks, left me completely speechless. Crazy indeed...

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the exclusives they choose to fund I can't find any rhyme or reason behind their choices
i think the pattern is just what small to mid-sized dev has a game nearing the end of development and is willing to take a moneyhat from google for a timed exclusivity deal. i assume there's a lot of devs who are refusing the offer, when they can see they'd be better off doing a deal with literally any other platform holder, or just self-publishing on everything at the same time.