• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
So I just beat Pikmin 3 deluxe on switch and I loved it!! Each level was like a puzzle box and the combat was pretty satisfying. Specially the bosses were pretty enjoyable with an incredible final one. Now I can always do a solo very hard run and do everything. I played this with my mom during the holidays so we did normal and it was a little easy.

What I would prefer tho is a really good pikmin like game on steam tho? I don't know if there are any out there but if there are that will be awesome. If not I'll just play Pikmin 3 again on the hardest difficulty haha 😂

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Little King's Story. Wii game ported to Steam and it's brilliant. Enjoy!

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
I really enjoy the Overlord games, or "edgy Pikmin" as one of my friends calls them. I... I don't know if they're actually good, but I have a soft spot for them.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
There really is nothing like it.

There are only games with a similar "you're some dude who controls a swarm of other dudes" (Overlord series, Masters of Anima) mechanic but none of the other gameplay foundations of Pikmin.

One of the former Nintendo EAD designers on Pikmin left the company and made an "edgy" version of Pikmin that came out on Vita, I think?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Ignoring the "good" part, here's one that goes under the radar

Hotel Transylvania 3

store.steampowered.com

Hotel Transylvania 3: Monsters Overboard on Steam

Dracula, Mavis and their monster friends are marooned on the mysterious Lost Islands – and only you, in command of lovable little creatures, the Impa, can save them! Explore the islands, discover new Impa abilities, and rescue Frankenstein, Murray and Wayne from fearsome enemies. But hurry – the...

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Also here to vouch for Little King's Story, it's definitely jankier but it does have gameplay mechanics that evoke Pikmin, ie. chucking your army at enemies, but also comes with a really unique, weird surreal vibe of its own that's worth experiencing.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Hotel Transylvania 3

store.steampowered.com

Dracula, Mavis and their monster friends are marooned on the mysterious Lost Islands – and only you, in command of lovable little creatures, the Impa, can save them! Explore the islands, discover new Impa abilities, and rescue Frankenstein, Murray and Wayne from fearsome enemies. But hurry – the...
Oh yeah, Arlo did a video on that basically being Pikmin. Really surreal stuff.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Little King's Story is the closest I've played. If you're on PC, though, it might be worth trying out some RTS games.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Really curious to know what this is.
Army Corps of Hell I'm guessing

nintendo.fandom.com

Motoi Okamoto

Motoi Okamoto is a former Nintendo EAD planner and programmer. He joined the company in April 1999 and worked on a variety of titles, mostly on scriptwriting and minigame sections in titles like Super Mario 64 DS and Wii Play. He was also part of the team who programmed the JSYSTEM, a middleware...

good interview with him that goes over the design genesis of Pikmin

www.gamasutra.com

Legacy Gamasutra URLs are experiencing issues | Game Developer

An update on URL redirects, blog submissions, and newsletters

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019

If by "Pikmin-like" OP means "accessible lite-RTS game" than yeah I'd recommend Battalion Wars too, but it's really more in line with something like Star Wars Rogue Squadron (short combat missions where you're piloting different vehicles across open maps and completing objectives for your troops with a set number of units on the field from the get go) than Pikmin, imo.

Aside from the first two Pikmin games (if you have a Gamecube/Wii), there aren't really a ton of games that follow the formula. The only ones I know of are Little Kings Story and... uh, Hotel Transylvania 3 (which is on Switch and Steam so... there's something for you!).

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
As some already mentioned, absolutely Little King's Story, one of the very best and unfortunately also most overlooked Wii games despite really good reviews (87 on Metacritic) and involvement of Yasuhiro Wada (creator of Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons) as executive producer and Yoshirou Kimura as lead designer, who previously worked on Moon.

Last edited:

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
The Wonderful 101 has some similarities (commanding a group of little followers, big bosses), although it's more of an action game.

OP
OP
Thewonandonly

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
I'll definitely check out little king story's it sounds pretty good!!! With RTS games I'm just a big dumb dumb and get overwhelmed with a lot of mechanics like total war, where I have to worry about economy and expanding my land and everything. So if there's some simple RTS's out there then ya recommend them I would love to give some a shot.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
There's a lot of older PC strategy games that overlap, but nothing that I can think of that's exactly like pikmin.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
tooth and tail I enjoyed at GDC its a simplified online competitive RTS the matches are like... 5 minutes each
Bite sized and pretty fun... I wish it came to switch by now...

Clipo

Jul 13, 2020
Master of Anima is quite similar, not exactly the same, but the idea of controlling and giving orders to minions. It is available on all platforms, PC + consoles.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

Hotel Transylvania 3

store.steampowered.com

woooooooooooooooooooooooooow

can you say carbon copy much :D

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will never understand how this can be compared to Pikmin even with the crowd control. The games are nothing alike. That already bugged me during the original preview cycle.
I swear to god some people have to play the game by just mashing the charge button or something. Even at surface level, the games are nothing alike. TW101 has more in common with Bayonetta or any other Platinum action game,

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
There's a game called Wild at Heart (I think that's the name) that is coming to Steam.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Overlord 1 and 2 and Little Kings Story.

I really love all of those 3 games, and do some really great stuff that Pikmin doesnt do.

Applepieman

Nov 5, 2017
51r%2BvNx4-0L._SY445_.jpg

It's got the little guys following you around. It's not great but not terrible.

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
I'll definitely check out little king story's it sounds pretty good!!! With RTS games I'm just a big dumb dumb and get overwhelmed with a lot of mechanics like total war, where I have to worry about economy and expanding my land and everything. So if there's some simple RTS's out there then ya recommend them I would love to give some a shot.
If you don't mind digging into some older titles, I'd recommend Warcraft 2: Battle.net Edition. You can get it on GOG.com for $10 (or $15 w/ the WC1 bundle but that one is a bit too dated I think).
455421d2f2a16715d4a5b8131b9806c5590f18cd7b8d6994e5c45afc075bf109.jpg

It's fairly simple by today's standards, and shouldn't overwhelm you, but still very good and engaging. As you can tell from the art-style, it's fairly cartoony and full of charm, something you might appreciate coming from a lighthearted game like Pikmin.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Little King's Story is legit. Just be sure to get the Wii or Steam version (skip the vita one).

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Just to add my voice to the little kings story recommendations. It is a game I remember being really disappointed when it ended because I just wanted it to keep going and going. This is despite the main story taking 25 hours to complete so it's not really a short game by any standards.

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
OVERLORD is the game you need! It's down to about one buck on steam at the moment, you absolutely can't go wrong!

store.steampowered.com

Sparen Sie 78% bei Overlordâ„¢ auf Steam

Bereiten Sie sich darauf vor versucht, hypnotisiert und fasziniert zu werden und zum Overlord zu mutieren; wie korrupt Sie werden hängt ganz von Ihnen ab und davon, wie Sie mit den Herausforderungen umgehen. Ihre Vorgehensweise beeinflusst direkt das Spielgeschehen.

Overlord-PC-1000x600.jpg

You can kill sheep with goblins! The humor is through the roof with this one, believe me. I'm usually not a fan of cliché fantasy stuff but Overlord puts a nice twist on it and doesn't take the matter too seriously. Also is plays fine and is really satisfying. Also don't look at screenshots, it looks much better in motion, haha.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Overlord is the only game I've ever played that felt like pikmin. Although it is kind of pikmin (various goblins that all have specific uses) meets fable (third person perspective, quirky charm) I found it a bit more annoying to control compared to pikmin but I thought both the games were surprisingly good.

EDIT: just make sure to stick with the first 2 main games. The spin off that came out later wasn't good.