• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
We all know those one hit wonder songs of an artist in which that's mostly what they're known for to the general public. What do y'all know?

jay

Oct 25, 2017
The first person who says Epic earns my ire. Also, the Wallflowers had at least three hits.

May 30, 2018
Liars, both of you.
I'll go with You Get What You Give by The New Radicals. Great OHW.

www.nme.com

90s One-Hit Wonders That'll Make You Feel Nostalgic - Where Are They Now?

Rednex Warning: if you read this piece, you’ll have ‘Save Tonight’ in your head forever. We’ve tracked down 35 90s one-hit wonders to find out what they’re up to now, starting with Rednex and ‘Cotton Eyed Joe’. Where did they come from, where did they go? Answer a) Sweden and b) they sold...

i don't know how to make you happy but it was their only well known hit

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.nme.com

Rednex Warning: if you read this piece, you’ll have ‘Save Tonight’ in your head forever. We’ve tracked down 35 90s one-hit wonders to find out what they’re up to now, starting with Rednex and ‘Cotton Eyed Joe’. Where did they come from, where did they go? Answer a) Sweden and b) they sold...

Three Marlenas and Sixth Avenue Heartache got tons of airplay back then. It's just not true.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
"Three Marlenas" is a song by American rock band The Wallflowers. It was released in October 1997 as the fourth and final single from their second album, Bringing Down the Horse. It peaked at number 51 on the US Billboard Hot 100 Airplay chart and number 13 on Canada's RPM Top Singles chart.

"6th Avenue Heartache" is a song by the American rock band The Wallflowers. It was released in April 1996 as the lead single from their 1996 sophomore album Bringing Down the Horse. The song became their first hit, peaking at number 8 on the US Modern Rock Tracks chart, number 10 on the US Mainstream Rock Tracks chart, and number 33 on the US Hot 100 Airplay chart.

Guess it depends on your qualifications for a hit.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, how is a one hit wonder going to be qualified here? Radio play? Requests? Single or album sales? Digital purchases, streams? Illegal downloads? What about location? Do we only pay attention to one chart? A lot of acts that get dubbed hit wonders need to have a bunch of astrix next to them.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017

i tend to enjoy one hit wonders. i cant really think of too many bad ones outside of some novelty or comedy songs.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, how is a one hit wonder going to be qualified here? Radio play? Requests? Single or album sales? Digital purchases, streams? Illegal downloads? What about location? Do we only pay attention to one chart? A lot of acts that get dubbed hit wonders need to have a bunch of astrix next to them.
Nearly all one hit wonders have a bunch of songs, often multiple albums. But only one single ever got anywhere worthwhile in the charts.

Anyway, here is a one hit wonder, which happens to be a song about a one hit wonder.

youtu.be

Prefab Sprout - The King of Rock 'N' Roll

Prefab Sprout's official music video for 'The King of Rock 'n' Roll'. Click to listen to Prefab Sprout on Spotify: http://smarturl.it/PrefabSSpotify?IQid=Pre...

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
www.nme.com

Blind Melon is on that list lol

edit:
wow i didnt know that Soup only reached 20. One of the best albums of all time.

edit 2:
If refuting evidence is allowed..

Last edited:
May 24, 2019
This was a big indie/college radio song in NZ in the mid/late 90's, but the artist committed suicide after one EP, so that was it.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017

i've been listening to his music again and it's pretty good.

kind of a shame that he's only known for somebody that i used to know. it's a good song! but he also made other music that's pretty good too. never checked out his band 'the basics' though (from which 'gotye' is apparently the solo stuff he did outside of it).

jay

Oct 25, 2017
www.nme.com

You hear the other two at super markets and whatnot.

Here you go:

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
Harvey Danger was kind of fun.

A little anecdote. In the 90s I somehow ended up with tickets to a concert cruise with Harvey Danger and Fastball (a much better band). Even though they were in the height of their brief success, the lead singer refused to sing the only song anyone was there to hear. It was either a roadie or someone they pulled out of the audience.

It was pretty clear even in that moment, that they were not going to last.

Miggsthejust

Oct 27, 2017
I searched for chart info on this song and couldn't find a thing, so I dont even know if it counts as a 'Hit' but I still sing 'Girl!' by Pepe Deluxe weekly if not daily

Oct 27, 2017