• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Now that Shenmue 3 is announced as Epic Store exclusive even though they promised Steam keys and after few other developers did same before it will be really hard for other devs to ask money from consumers via crowd-sourcing.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shenmue 3 crowdfunding was always a bait and switch to begin with considering it was on Sony's stage and publishers were ready to strike deals tbh.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Now that Shenmue 3 is announced as Epic Store exclusive even though they promised Steam keys and after few other developers did same before it will be really hard for other devs to ask money from consumers via crowd-sourcing.
How do you fucking...
I can understand "changing your mind" on Steam support, but not after promising KEYS for it...

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I thought crowd-sourcing would have fallen off drastically when Mighty No 9 released.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There never was any guarantees with KS.

Ever.

If you put money in to back a project, you roll the dice.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine crowdsourcing is the draw for funding that it once was anyway. Not sticking up for bullshitter Tim, but at least Shenmue III is releasing, you know? For every project that sees a final release, how many Unsung Stories are there?

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Not really.
Shenmue was a special case with an IP from Sega, backing from Sony, and finding a bad publisher.
Kickstarter games doing that are still just a few too.

Nilaul

Oct 26, 2017
Greece
Well if they promised keys for it, ask for a refund, I hope everyone asks for a refund. Would be entertaining.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I mean, it's not like most PC players are the demographic for this one I imagine, but sure it's stupid.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
There has always been risks with kick starter, there will continue to be risks with kick starter. this is just another one... Personally I've never backed a project because I don't want to risk my money in that way, but I buy many things on release.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shit was tainted after Mighty Number 9 to be honest.

I'll give that game credit in that it actually came out. Most kickstarters can't say the same and are just scams. None of the games I kickstarted have come out yet, though one is close to it (Bloodstained). I'm still mad about the System Shock remake.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
When only one person seemingly stuck with fans...

659aPW3.jpg

Kinda crazy that Bloodstained is almost in a crowd of one with Microsoft buying Fig pushers or Epic literally moneyhatting the rest.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Dunno why this thread exists when there's already a thread about Shemue III going to Epic Games Store (but the Kickstarter page never said anything about Steam or Steam Keys).

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
When only one person seemingly stuck with fans...

659aPW3.jpg

Kinda crazy that Bloodstained is almost in a crowd of one with Microsoft buying Fig pushers or Epic literally moneyhatting the rest.

Still has problems, and the game isn't out yet, with the Linux/Mac release being canned and backers not being able to get a refund, and the whole "exclusive content" that isn't really exclusive.

People can say all day that KS isn't a guarantee of anything, but it takes being affected for most people to "get it" which is why I thought Mighty No 9, even with the game coming out, with the backer delays and quality of the game, probably opened a lot of people's eyes in terms of the "value" of backing something.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'll be super selective about who I trust going forward. I'll have to know they won't be the sort to pull something like this and that's a short list.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This crowdfunding business always struck me as a legal chance for shady people to grab and run and then go "we never guaranteed anything"

May 17, 2018
Even ignoring Steam, literally no one backed this thinking it would be exclusively on the Epic Games Store considering the store didn't even *exist* until 6 months ago.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I almost backed this game on KS, but I knew something like this might happen. Super greasy.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
You guys are misjudging this if you think more than 5 percent of backers are going to be outraged that they have to use a different launcher.

Carroway

Oct 25, 2017
Not related to Shenmue 3 but did the Wasteland 3 developers ever clarify their stance regarding PS4 copies for Wasteland 3? That was something that was mentioned/featured in their campaign. I'm only asking now with Microsoft buying up the developers and all that. It would be a really scummy move and further scorch the earth for any other developer trying to crowd-source money.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
store.steampowered.com

Save 90% on Shenmue III on Steam

Shenmue III sees the eagerly anticipated continuation of the epic story-driven saga. Take control of Ryo Hazuki, a teenage martial artist, determined to unravel the mystery behind his father's murder and to exact revenge on the killer.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Here's my F press for Crowdfunding.

Another big chip in consumer trust for Kickstarter projects.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yall should have seen this shit coming when sony announced this was coming console exclueively to PS4 at their E3 show and then told y'all to fund it with kickstarter

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. People won't be willing to take the risk anymore.

As someone who's a kickstarting novice (having never engaged it in myself), what is the risk the consumer takes? My understanding was that folks could bail out whenever they want (on the big kickstarting platforms anyway) and recoup their funds.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
It's still a good way to get MS to buy you so there is still that. MS also let the devs honour commitments.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Imagine their terror when their single player game requires them to install one piece of software to launch it. Truly the end of times.

I honestly feel like I'm one of the few 30+ year old gamers on era whenever EGS talk like this happens. I'm old enough to remember the outrage around Steam, it was 10 times worse than this and eventually people got over it.

There never was any guarantees with KS.

Ever.

If you put money in to back a project, you roll the dice.

This. People don't read KS terms of service I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.