• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
Last month, Firefox released the newest version of its mobile browser: Firefox Daylight. From what I understand, it's newly built from the ground up and doesn't use Google's Blink web engine and instead uses Firefox's own, called GeckovView. It's a big change from past versions of the browser. As always, big updates like this can be iffy.

In this case, Mozilla really dropped the ball because the new mobile Firefox is trash.

This is the old Firefox's home page when you opened a new tab:

vl7XqAp.jpg

From the get go you can see the sites you visit most (you could also pin sites here). Swipe to the right, you get your Bookmarks. Swipe to the right again, you get your history. Intuitive and simple.

The new version completely changed the home screen when you open a new tab. Here's what it looks like:

SIZ35y1.jpg

By default the search bar is on the bottom in Daylight, btw. But you have an option to move it to the top. In any case, the home screen no longer shows your bookmarks and history. How do you get to those? You tap the 3 dots in the top right and then select bookmarks in the menu. So they added an unnecessary extra step to get to bookmarks. Same goes for history.

Everyone's bookmarks also got rearranged into some random order. I used to have all of my folders at the top and then any other bookmarks below those. Now folders and bookmarks are in random order, as best as I can tell. There is also no option to sort them. None whatsoever. Apparently this is because the Firefox team concluded that bookmarks aren't that important to the browsing experience anymore:

Defending its decision to de-emphasize bookmarks, a Mozilla spokesperson said: "During our research, we found that most mobile users wanted a less cluttered home screen, and they also more often interacted with top sites and open tabs, and less often with bookmarks."
(From this article)

The initial home screen wasn't even "cluttered" as they claim! Going by how many 1-star reviews I'm seeing on the app store (to the point that the overall score has dropped below 4.0), I'm really wondering what kind of data they were looking at for usage.

Now they're pushing this new "Collections" feature that seems to let you group tabs? I haven't tried this feature much, but from what I've read in user reviews, they let you group tabs together.

Speaking of tabs, they fucked those up, too! Older versions of Firefox mobile had tabs appear in a gallery view, arranged in 2 columns. They also had clearly visual thumbnails of the page. Daylight for some inexplicable reason now displays tabs arranged in a list. The thumbnails are now smaller and overall it's not as great as the old gallery view.

What I've mentioned so far is just the tip of the iceberg and is the stuff I mainly noticed based on my own experience. Other issues users have mentioned:
  • Overall slower to load some pages
  • No more Configuration Editor (about.config)
  • Significant reduction in compatible add-ons (last I read, now there are only 9 available)
  • Worse tab management (opening and closing tabs is more tedious)
  • Issues with downloading images off the web
  • No longer saves pages as pdfs for offline viewing

A lot of common functions take more taps to access. The browsing experience is just much, much worse now. With the news about Firefox laying off a quarter of their work force and being hit hard by the pandemic, I really worry about the future of the browser. Not just the mobile version. I loved the mobile version of Firefox for offering a wide variety of add-ons compared to Chrome, and now it doesn't even really have that advantage anymore.

Now I'm looking for another browser with functionality comparable to the older versions of mobile Firefox.

I have no clue what the Firefox team was thinking with this update, and I'm not optimistic that they'll reincorporate the better features of the older version despite a lot of negative feedback from users.

Oh, and the new version has night mode. Yay.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
I'm slowly getting used to it. But I was so dialed into the old design, its been rough.

The tab screen I had two columns of pins. Not it's just a list.

They are adding features back in since it was released half baked. Like holding back didn't bring up history..

zou

Oct 29, 2017
yup, firefox keeps shitting on its user base and then they wonder why their market share is dropping.

Meeps

3D animator
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's been pretty buggy for me. 90% of the time, if I tap a button in an overlay, it either does nothing or activates the content underneath it instead, forcing me to use the desktop version of sites.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I am almost use to it but it is hella inefficient. Seems like one of those updates that just blows up a good thing for the sake of change

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The thing that bugs me is the way the toolbar keeps coming into view. It used to stay hidden if you "flicked" scroll and come into view if held down while scrolling. Now it always comes into view no matter how you scroll. There seems to be no way to lock it into place or hide it either, just move it to the bottom which is awkward.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
yep its 10000% worse.
Way less customization.
Tabs are a complete mess now.
Websites don't load properly, ERA included.

I still refuse to change to chrome.
Just waiting for them to fix it now..

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. I switched to a fork of the old version the very same day auto-updates forced the new version on me.
It's always downright baffling how changes like the open tabs page happen. I refuse to believe that whoever they surveyed for their "research" preferred it the new way.

Oct 31, 2017
The tab screen is shit - the old one let you freely rearrange them and also showed a preview reliably. Also it seems to lack customisation options.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
This is the first time I've tried Firefox for moble, been running for a few weeks, and I concur that it sucks (I never experienced what it was like before, mind). Hiding bookmarks that deep is ridiculous, also annoys me you can't set "open in current tab" for bookmarks (unless I'm not seeing it) and also no easy way to get back to the home screen (again, unless I'm not seeing it). And I wish swipe from top to refresh was a thing (unless... you know the drill).

I heard a lof of good things about Firefox mobile which is why I'm trying it, but seems like those good things were all about the old version.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. I switched to a fork of the old version the very same day auto-updates forced the new version on me.
It's always downright baffling how changes like the open tabs page happen. I refuse to believe that whoever they surveyed for their "research" preferred it the new way.

Which fork?

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Fennec F-Droid. No idea if it's the best option or anything, or even how legit it is; but it's open-source, and it seemed like a popular choice when I googled for one. One thing I can say is that it's apparently no longer being updated, which kinda feels like a positive in the context of this thread (despite the security concerns and such that it might present).

mantis

Oct 25, 2017
Took me a while to get used to the new layout. But I am okay with it now.

Only wish it would just open your last tab when reopening the app and not show you the home screen.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
It takes so many taps to get to my synced desktop bookmarks. I don't want mobile and desktop bookmarks. I just want bookmarks that are quickly accessible.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
What I like:

Address bar at the bottom.

What I hate:

When I load up Resetera, it loads up the last time I visited the site (like if I'm accessing an archive), rather than loading up a fresh/current version of the site. I then have to either refresh or go to a different part of the website to get the "current" version.

I hope that made sense.

I still haven't gotten used to it and I have found myself using the app less.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using Firefox Preview and the "new" Firefox for most of the year now. It's way better than the old version. I basically switched as soon as the preview version got ad block support.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
They took away the little animation of all the tabs disappearing

I have to refresh a page every time I open it if I've visited it before, since it loads a cached version for some reason

One of my extensions doesn't work

I hate it

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there not a reading mode in this update? Used to load up on the address bar but nothing with this update.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Completely broken for me. I can browse 3-4 pages before pages refuse to load, then I have to swipe away the app and reopen it. I used to like to browse the main page of Era and then open up threads in tabs and work my way through them, but the tabs won't load even after doing the open and close trick. I now browse in Chrome, and if I want to comment, I open up a firefox session.

I'll prolly switch my logon soon, but I'm lazy, and I'll have to migrate my bookmarks over, find equivalent extensions, etc.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Yep it fucking sucks now. All my extensions are gone and opening the top sites is really cumbersome now. It also crashes a lot which never happened before.

I think I'm going back to the old version.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I don't really use bookmarks so I can't really comment on that, but I've been using the beta for a while and I've gotta say that the search bar at the bottom is way more ergonomic once you get used to it.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Runs faster and more reliably for me, which is honestly by far the most important thing for me. The new UI is a wash, the biggest gripe is mentioned in the OP, the new tab page. I hope they listen to user feedback and improve on that one in particular.

What I would also like to see is better tablet support: when opening add on preferences, it shouldn't open a new screen, but just have a pop-up like on the desktop UI.

Dunfisch

Oct 25, 2017
Been loathing it ever since the update dropped. For me at least, it also replicates an error that came and went on the desktop version a few months back, where some sites would reliably cause the entire browser to stall out loading any site at all, and it wouldn't work until I'd restart the browser.

The same thing happens on mobile now, except any page can cause it. I can't simply close the app either, I need to kill the process too.

Outside of that, how anyone thought the entire new UX is supposed to be efficient is beyond me. Everything takes 3, 4 extra taps and I gott jump from the top to the bottom of the screen and back again for most things. Like... why. Baffling.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I run the preview so have been using this format for awhile now and got used to it. I find collections neat as I have bundles of the main tabs in a window I usually find myself with when doing things. Whether it's when I'm working, happy, interested in films, cleaning and spinning records & other situations/moods. I find I usually have a little handful of tabs open in each case and that it's roughly the same whenever they occur. So just took to saving a collection in each instance and now it's neat to be able to flip between my main sets of websites easily. Search being at the bottom stood out at first but it's closer to where my hand/thumbs usually are so I'll take it.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
They removed basic features and extension support. It literally took away any reasons I would use it over other browsers. Marginal speed improvements don't make up for that.

Luckily Android let me reinstall the old APK without much much trouble.

ChubbyHuggs

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gonna move my damn bookmarks over to a collection. I have way too many. It's just so damn inconvenient. Especially switching tabs and such.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like it, but I'm like a browser minimalist, so none of the changes really affected me. In fact, my daily usage got one or two clicks more efficient with the quit button they added. I hated having to close every tab individually when I quit Firefox before, but now I have that quit button setup to close all my tabs for me.

OP
OP
Kasumin

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
Is there not a reading mode in this update? Used to load up on the address bar but nothing with this update.

There's a reader mode in this update. If that had been taken out, I would already be using another browser. Some pages don't give the reader mode option for some reason, but that was the case with older versions of Firefox as well.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I started using chrome instead. I had probably hundreds of tabs open and it became unusable. Maybe one of the worst updates for any piece of software I've ever seen.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's a reader mode in this update. If that had been taken out, I would already be using another browser. Some pages don't give the reader mode option for some reason, but that was the case with older versions of Firefox as well.
Ah just tested it out. It takes longer to give the option with this update. Was too impatient to wait for pages to fully load.

Indalecio

Oct 27, 2017
It's a minor thing, but it annoys me that you can't set it to close all tabs when you swipe to close the app. There's only an option to close tabs when you go into the menu and select quit.

Also, I used to have it set to show my bookmarks when I opened the app and that's not possible now.

Unknown

Oct 29, 2017
As someone who wasn't using it before the update I really like it where I kinda hated it before, even though it's clearly a bit buggy and has some performance issues.

And that's 100% due to supporting bottom aligned controls. I don't understand why so few browsers do this.

Previously I was using VIA for non-sensitive stuff. It's great - noticeably faster and has an even more minimalist interface, but I question its security.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Gotten used to it, but I wish they'd bring back the Page into Print easy press function back. Now have to do longwinded saves.
Plus it seems a bit jumpy when switching between keyboard and page scrolling. Especially bad on the YouTube pages; try to click on Not Interested and the page jumps onto Save to Watch Later instead. Bloody hell.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
They removed the data management options. You can't block images from loading on data and make them only load via WiFi anymore. Seems like a terrible oversight.