• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

devon37

Banned
Jan 3, 2019
I still think Yoshis Island is one of the best looking games, even today. Personal preference I know , but I do think it shows how art style can really make a game shine, even when the technical aspects are incredibly limited ( by modern standards at least).
yoshis-island.original.jpg

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Eh I don't really agree.

To me every game would look better with "realistic" graphics. I put realistic in quotation marks because that doesn't mean you can't have an art style that's almost out of this world.

Like imagine if BOTW looked like Ghost of Tsushima. Technically accomplished but still with that dreamy appearance. There were so many points in GoT where I thought "man I wish Kakariko Village looked this good".
Yeah. Art style is so important, and you can be super stylized, but I think tech will still always be a big part of it.

Like you said, BOTW with the same tech and color grading as Ghost of Tsushima. Would be absolutely stunning. Think about any Dreamworks or Pixar movie. Fifteen years later, they don't really look that good anymore. Modern ones look incredible despite heavily stylization, because they also have great tech.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017

This is a long shot, but whatever. The "We" is probably US audiences who - according to marketing's gross generalizations - reaaaally like realism.
In a non-game example, the Oscars often gave props to films that focus on "realism". This has arguably influenced the directions taken by a lot of studios - and in term, games that love aping Hollywood and strive for realism in graphics.

EDIT: For clarity and trying to make more sense.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018
Because people mistake that realism = better, it's the same thing we saw decades back with the hate the Wind Waker got for looking "ugly" and "cartoony" and being "babbyish" for it's artstyle which result in Twilight Princess looking the way it does and most agree in hindsight, the former is more impressive and timeless while the later has aged more (like how Link's "realistic" expressions in Twilight are heavily limited and go into dull surprise territory compared to wide range Toon Link has). In fact most "realistic" games end up looking less impressive in hindsight compared to stylized ones.

And then their is a simple matter of maturity. Honestly so many times I've seen this happen, it's people who are insecure for liking "kiddy" stuff which usually translates to anything stylized, silly or not "realistic". It's the same juvenile mentality that makes some think that having a ton of violence and nudity inheritly better and more "mature" then stories telling deep emotional stories but uses more stylized presentation or snobs who scoff at Sci-Fi and Fantasy for not being "serious" works compared to say historical dramas or romance.

The comic industry is the best example of how bad this mentality can get with the Dark Age of comics where everything became "realistic" (because realism in most of these cases really isn't) with tons of murder, gore, pouches, action after action and art like this:

You might say that's unfair, but after decades of seeing this over and over, from competitive fighting game players demanding only "serious" characters and mainstays like Blanka and Kuna to be cut because their SERIOUS players and want to be taken seriously (seriously I've seen this from even Smash fans who hated Banjo getting added for being to "silly") or characters like Lucky Chloe being hated for being so silly and again, it's hard not to notice that many of those complaining get drawn to characters like like Bryan Fury:
This was something even Katsuhiro Harada himself pointed out in the Lucky Chloe situation.

And the same is true with "realistic" styles in games, I noticed this most back when games like Gears of War were hailed for this and the resulting "real is brown" overuse in games that became the norm for years after that which again, we mock in hindsight along with the other "realistic" tropes that were norm like the heavy overuse of bloom and camera bobs.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo games have really great art styles, but where everything starts to fall apart is the god awful resolution especially on on a 4k screen, it looks crap.

Really, this. I bought a 4K tv and i played some switch games and man, they look like crap. Nintendo needs to step up in that department tbh.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Really, this. I bought a 4K tv and i played some switch games and man, they look like crap. Nintendo needs to step up in that department tbh.
Is it just a TV issue? I play my Switch on my 4K PC monitor since launch and I sit fairly close since my Switch setup is essentially an extension of my PC, they look pretty good.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Don't see how that's a controversial statement outside a pure tech wank argument. Good art style can always shine; better tech enhances it, but will never be a substitute for it.

If anything, the more controversial statement here would be that "realistic" games can still have excellent and creative art direction. It feels like pushback against the "kiddy graphics" nonsense of the early 2000s had the unfortunate side-effect of making some people discount more realistic styles as uniform and bland. See also the "Realistic art styles never age well" nonsense.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Probably the US. I learned that the Oscars often give props to films that focus on "realism", which has determined the directions taken by a lot of studios - and the reason why Cats is the way it is. Of course, games love taking after Hollywood and strive for realism in graphics.

Bro what. Parasite won Best Picture this year. And what part of Cats, the wackiest film imaginable by a British-Australian director that won't be nominated for any Oscars ever, is representative of Hollywood's strive for realism? Like nothing you just said added up. The biggest movies in Hollywood right now are superhero flicks. Hollywood could use a lot more realism, tbh.

Last edited:

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Realistic graphics pander to the "casual" crowd a lot from what I've seen. Met way too many people that refuse to play so and so because it looked cartoony (Fortnite, OW) or cell-shaded. There's also the notion that anything that isn't realistic is deemed "for kids" because their photorealistic idea of graphics isn't there. It's an issue with Nintendo's gorgeous art styles. But throw on BF5 on ultra and verbatim they've said, "now this is more like it".

Which is fine I guess. But it is a misunderstanding when it comes to good graphics.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This bullshit that people only complain about graphics because it's not realistic is disingenous at best, misleading at worse. Crash remake is not realistic, but you didn't got people complaing about that. Neither with rachet and clank remke or even the game coming out on ps5 either. Cartony artstyles that looks good graphically are like that. When people complaing about graphics on botw they are asking why this:
pncec7iq5rpy.jpg

became this:
b5oaaql9mrwjeekc7hn6.png

Tons of details are missing, and the game still has constant slowdowns. So, don't come to me and say that it is the best a game can look. Hell, luigi mansion alone show how good a game can look when it focus on the hardware capabilities. Outer worlds is another that is clearing trying chew more than it can have. Its clear that if developer had more time, more knowledge, and made more decisions towards the hardware at hand, the game would look better, plain and simple.

Hell, even kojima said that looking at gta he felt sad that his game could look better and felt sad about it, so how people are insisting that it looks just as good as it can?

It's not disrepectfull to say that some games are not focusing in hagin the best graphics it could. It's disrespectful to say it the best they can do when even they say it isn't.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
For me, the best graphics/art style of the generation is a 2D run and gun. I'll never, ever think this game looks bad or dated. Not tomorrow, not a decade form now.

774fd7061e58aba3355c6f45eff707b5.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Cuphead-Screenshot-2017-10-04-12-55-48-pc-games.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
Hell, knowing how to light a scene is an art on itself. Even if there ever was a game engine capable of building every asset for you, you still have to do what cinematographers and set decorators do in real life to make a scene look good.
I've seen the misconception that lighting a game when the age of real time ray tracing comes is going to lose artistic intent. I wonder what those people think is done at movie sets,or well you know, CG movies.

I think UC4 & TLou2 will always look good as the tech ages.

And in retrospect people will realize that they weren't going for photrealism.Just like how TLoU1 still looks good today and is conceived to be rather stylized.

I expect ND to go for prebaked solutions in some of their scenes even in the age of ray tracing.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
It's an older video, but I it demonstrates the futility of game devs trying to strive for "photorealism"

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I'm very much in the pro-art camp as a gamer. I was playing Okami not long back and, damn, if that game doesn't look fantastic on modern hardware, same with Windwaker on Wii U. Hides such a multitude of technical shortcomings.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Maybe because we are impressed whenever art is indistinguishable from rea life or comes close. We tend to attribute a lot of talent and craftsmenship to that when in reality surreal or unrealistic stuff takes just as much effort. I don't know where I heard it but someone in graphics said that people mostly think that the evolution from an artist goes from cartoony to realistic but in reality you must master realistic to be able to do believale cartoony styles.

I think great graphics can be non realistic as well. I just dont think Nintendo games are top tier graphically when it comes to non realistic graphics. For example ori , journey, ratchet and clank etc.. look far better graphically than most Nintendo games imo.